Jungle Cruise to get holiday overlay

raymusiccity

I'm cautiously optimistic...
Either way, the fact that they're trying is a good sign.
Why? I have been a Christian all my life and have never once felt the urge to force feed it to anyone else. Happy Holidays covers everyone and because of that is far more sincere then randomly shouting Merry Christmas to a group of people, some of which, do not observe Christmas. It's a Christian Holiday not a world wide majority celebrated thing. If you want to say or hear Merry Christmas go to your christian church and say it until your voice breaks. Saying Merry Christmas to a non-christian is about the same as a Buddhist saying Happy Buddha's Birthday to you.

...Not exactly. Growing up on Long Island, you were often wished a Happy Chanukah, and were never offended or felt 'force fed' anything. Merchants are happy to profit by the Christmas presents buying public, but, political correctness makes them feel 'uncomfortable'. :)

Captain Neo

This should be an added bonus that shouldn't even warrant a "major announcement". How about giving the guests Nightmare before christmas overlay of the Haunted Mansion too like California and Japan get? Oh right that actually costs money and why do something for the guests when there are enough people buying Skellington merchandise as is.

Megalodumb

If done correctly this could become a classic holiday tradition at the park. And why not invest a little extra $$ in some new AA's just for the overlay? Imagine if instead of the tribesman selling you shrunken heads at the end of the ride...it's Mrs. Claus selling ornaments. Or instead of the family of gorillas trashing the camp, they are reenacting the nativity scene. Rather than the natives threatening the boat with spears, have elves brandishing gifts. Put a hat & beard on an elephant and make it a Santaphant. The backside of water? More like the backside of eggnog. What I'm trying to say here is that the possibilities are endless.

Glad WDW's getting something though.

SilentWindODoom

Why? I have been a Christian all my life and have never once felt the urge to force feed it to anyone else. Happy Holidays covers everyone and because of that is far more sincere then randomly shouting Merry Christmas to a group of people, some of which, do not observe Christmas. It's a Christian Holiday not a world wide majority celebrated thing. If you want to say or hear Merry Christmas go to your christian church and say it until your voice breaks. Saying Merry Christmas to a non-christian is about the same as a Buddhist saying Happy Buddha's Birthday to you.

As for the statement that Christmas is a Christian holiday... well I'll just leave this here.

I'm a Christian, and I've never celebrated the holiday once in my life. How do I feel when someone wishes me a merry Christmas? I... don't care. Or Hannukah, or Kwanzaa, or Diwali, or Ramadan, or anything else. Why should I care or feel offended if someone wishes me a happy any holiday I don't celebrate. Are they trying to forcefeed their beliefs down my throats? No. It's just a matter of them wanting to share the joy and fun they experience. There's absolutely no reason to take such things personally or get offended in any way.

But this discourse is waaaaay off topic. Let's get back to the overlay. I'm interested to see what new things they come up with. 10 minutes of Christmas/safari jokes? Let's see what they've got.

Goofyernmost

As for the statement that Christmas is a Christian holiday... well I'll just leave this here.

I'm a Christian, and I've never celebrated the holiday once in my life. How do I feel when someone wishes me a merry Christmas? I... don't care. Or Hannukah, or Kwanzaa, or Diwali, or Ramadan, or anything else. Why should I care or feel offended if someone wishes me a happy any holiday I don't celebrate. Are they trying to forcefeed their beliefs down my throats? No. It's just a matter of them wanting to share the joy and fun they experience. There's absolutely no reason to take such things personally or get offended in any way.

But this discourse is waaaaay off topic. Let's get back to the overlay. I'm interested to see what new things they come up with. 10 minutes of Christmas/safari jokes? Let's see what they've got.
Interesting, come in and make a reply worthy comment and then end it with "But this discourse is waaaaay off topic. Let's get back to the overlay." So I guess what is important is having the last word on the topic. Actually, I agree...not the place for this subject, so on with the Jingle Cruise.

SilentWindODoom

Interesting, come in and make a reply worthy comment and then end it with "But this discourse is waaaaay off topic. Let's get back to the overlay." So I guess what is important is having the last word on the topic. Actually, I agree...not the place for this subject, so on with the Jingle Cruise.

Heh. No ill will planned. I'd be completely open to further discussion on the topic. I'm just afraid that if it goes on too much longer the powers that be will unleash their fury on us or the topic as a whole.

Hyperspace Hoopla

For me, the best holiday themed show at WDW was always at the Adventurers Club.

They've tied AC into the Jungle Cruise before, with props, and crates adressed to memebers of the club etc, so I was really hoping that the radio broadcast they felt the need to mention might be a little AC easter egg.

Figments Friend

Oh wow...WDW is getting this too..??

I am a bit surprised to hear this.
When the news broke a few weeks ago regarding the overlay planned for Disneyland i never expected to hear it would be coming East, too.

Not really my cup of tea, but i am sure others will enjoy it.

bgraham34

This should be an added bonus that shouldn't even warrant a "major announcement". How about giving the guests Nightmare before christmas overlay of the Haunted Mansion too like California and Japan get? Oh right that actually costs money and why do something for the guests when there are enough people buying Skellington merchandise as is.

As much as I would love to see it I understand TDO point. Why close an attraction to install that every year when people plan to visit walt Disney World to see Haunted Mansion but cant because its closed for an overlay.

ExtinctJenn

In our house we celebrate the "non-biblical" version of Christmas (i.e. the commercialized focus on Santa, Food, and Presents) but we love all things Christmas/Holiday Season. The main reason we are making a 2nd trip this year in December is because while we've seen the decorations in the parks generally, we've never seen the Osborne Lights or the Castle Dreamlights and have always wanted to. Between MM+, the Glow with the Show Ears and now the Jingle Cruise update I don't think I've looked forward to a trip this much in a long time.

As a side note to that... I wonder if there will be any night-time tie in (when it would probably be best to experience the Jingle Cruise given the likely Christmas Light association) with the Glow with the Show Ears. Be fun to see your entire boat's ears change colors as you enter the ruins etc. or twinkle green and red as you go through a particularly Christmassy scene. I'm going a step beyond what was announced but there are so many ways to make this as much fun as the Jungle Cruise is in it's campy hilarious ways. :D

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Told my DH that it'd be cute to throw Santa hats on a lot of the characters... specifically if the shrunken heads were wearing them. LOL

But who put them there? The boats, the queue and the spiel are all theme appropriate. If you start putting decor into the ride itself, it loses it's impact.

NowInc

But who put them there? The boats, the queue and the spiel are all theme appropriate. If you start putting decor into the ride itself, it loses it's impact.

I agree. In order for the "story" to make sense, keeping the holiday decorations limited to the sections that are not part of the "natural inhabitant" aspect of the ride will keep things consistent. The natives wouldn't have holiday decorations up..but the tour guides would surely hang things up in the line..and on their boats.

ExtinctJenn

I'm not sure I follow... the Haunted Mansion overlay is a complete overlay of queue, ride and script in it's entirety and it certainly is impactful. It becomes a different attraction. Because the script is changing I assume there could be a way to build the script around decore along the route if they so chose. Doesn't sound like it but it'd be fun if done right.

ExtinctJenn

I agree. In order for the "story" to make sense, keeping the holiday decorations limited to the sections that are not part of the "natural inhabitant" aspect of the ride will keep things consistent. The natives wouldn't have holiday decorations up..but the tour guides would surely hang things up in the line..and on their boats.
I suppose I see where you're going there but I guess I saw it from a complete perspective and not just the tour guides. Hey they could've passed out the Santa hats on their previous tour! LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom