Jungle Cruise Gun Shots?

DrewmanS

Original Poster
It had been about 3 years since I was on the Jungle Cruise. Last week when the captain went to fire her gun during a certain scene, the gun made no noise. Instead an audio gunshot could be heard over the speaker that sounded like the gunshot sounds made from my old Atari 2600.

It did look like the captain flinched when she pulled the trigger. So, did they do away with the caps/blanks in the gun or is the audio in case of a misfire?

bobjl527

It had been about 3 years since I was on the Jungle Cruise. Last week when the captain went to fire her gun during a certain scene, the gun made no noise. Instead an audio gunshot could be heard over the speaker that sounded like the gunshot sounds made from my old Atari 2600.

It did look like the captain flinched when she pulled the trigger. So, did they do away with the caps/blanks in the gun or is the audio in case of a misfire?

I think that's just the way they do it now. When we were there last October, it was an audio gunshot as well.

This was done after 9/11 *roll eyes*

Also little note. When the guns fires caps. They were used to signal a boat in distress. not sure of the exact "codes" used, but it was like 3 shots in a row ment the boat was stranded, stuff liek that. The gun shots could be heard from the docks.

bryPOD

I love how they stopped using the gun for a little while after Animal Kingdom opened because they thought it was contradictory to shoot animals in one park and preserve them in another, but at the same time you can go to MGM and watch Indiana Jones shoot people on a daily basis....

Buried20KLeague

At Disneyland, I'm almost positive they still use caps. We were there in May and then again in June, and that's what I seem to recall.

The skipper also worked the fact that he was shooting blanks toward an animatronic hippo into his schtick, too. Wish I could remember exactly what he said. It was the only time I recall riding a jungle cruise at either DL or WDW and getting a chuckle in that area of the ride.

Since1976

At Disneyland, I'm almost positive they still use caps. We were there in May and then again in June, and that's what I seem to recall.

The skipper also worked the fact that he was shooting blanks toward an animatronic hippo into his schtick, too. Wish I could remember exactly what he said. It was the only time I recall riding a jungle cruise at either DL or WDW and getting a chuckle in that area of the ride.

Yes. When we went to DL in June 2006, the skipper used a cap gun. Caused a jolt and a few nervous screams, but that's about it.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Removal of the use of guns as well as changing some of the scenes in POTC was part of a large PC movement a while back by now departed management. Reverting back to sanity has be incorporated in some of the major upgrades over the last few years. With the return of the guns, yes, WDW has gone to an electronic sound. Most captains spend a lot of time in talking and/or actions to downplay the idea of actually shooting the hippo's. Some shoot into the air, some are defending the hippo's against foot long butterflies and the like.

hauntdmansion79

I like it when my Jungle Cruise skipper is packin' heat. I think the caps were a fun suprise to people who have never been on the ride. I don't see anything wrong with firing it in the air either to scare off the animal. I wonder if JAWS at Universal still does it.

sbkline

I like it when my Jungle Cruise skipper is packin' heat. I think the caps were a fun suprise to people who have never been on the ride. I don't see anything wrong with firing it in the air either to scare off the animal. I wonder if JAWS at Universal still does it.

Seeing as how the animals are FAKE, I don't see anything wrong with firing at it to "kill" it.

*rolls eyes* These PC people and their phobia of guns. :brick:

camithepirate

Hm. i might just be forgetting, but i dont remeber anything about a gun firing on the JC at DW. but i rode it late at night, and our guide was obvously a little bored with his job lol. but his sarcasm and mono-tone made the jokes even funnier, in a weird way.

maybe it just was working that day? or something?

Figment1986

sometimes the guns dont work at all... and if the skipper knows it they improvise.. some will go for the gun scared them even if it didnt shoot...

I like the caps at Disneyland better, better noise and they work much better.

Dragonrider1227

I never understood the removal of the guns. They're technically not even shooting AT the animals. I always thought they were just shooting in the air to "scare" the animals. (Mind you, I haven't been on the Jungle Cruise since '90) If the PCing was done by management that doesn't exist anymore, than I hope they're slowly but steadily going back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom