Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Fox&Hound

Still interested to see what this shapes up to be when all is said and done.

I agree with other posters that the EPCOT renovations seems muddled at best. Why spend all this money on the central hub and yet leave Imagination in its current state? At this point Imagination, Gran Fiesta Tour, and Nemo should be the focus. Imagine if they spent this money on a new Figment E-ticket worthy of the building, went through with the Coco overlay to Mexico (although it would need a bigger footprint somehow), and did something more inspired with the Seas pavillion (Nemo). Then you'd have three "new" attractions to excite guests. Sigh.....

Last edited:

dodgr98

In the Parks
No
When I saw the plans for Future World West with the table and Moana, I thought of these guys.
C5D4538E-646E-4CB1-9940-97F8FB6A4364.gif

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So at this rate, what are we thinking, they should maybe have this wrapped up early 2052!?

My lord Universal had that velociraptor coaster from inception to completion in the amount time it took to rip down one of the innovention walls.
Pre-pandemic, it was going to be 2023. Seems like that hasn't changed, except, missing one giant festival building.

tpoly88

Still interested to see what this shapes up to be when all is said and done.

I agree with other posters that the EPCOT renovations seems muddled at best. Why spend all this money on the central hub and yet leave Imagination in its current state? At this point Imagination, Gran Fiesta Tour, and Nemo should be the focus. Imagine if they spent this money on a new Figment E-ticket worth of the building, went through with the Coco overlay to Mexico (although it would need a bigger footprint somehow), and did something more inspired with the Seas pavillion (Nemo). Then you'd have three "new" attractions to excite guests. Sigh.....
Agree with you but once completed maybe ill change my mind but i feel like they are making something similar to Navi river journey and avatar in Epcot. Imagination needs to be redone, the horizons building in dark (they were using it for F&W for a while but that stopped) and you have a ride in there that could be resurected as something. The rendition looks nice but as they always say not sure the juice is worth the squeeze on this project. Like i said i could be 1000% wrong when its done.

IanJohnWhitey

I have been a life long Disney fan, but one thing is for sure.... the people who plan and design these attractions aren't trying to cheapen the experience, they are trying to better it, in new and exciting ways. you guys care for the past too much, they've got rid or some well old innovations buildings, rarely used, and some shop fronts and a fountain. To try to add to the experience , you all keep going on about the imagination pavilion like they ruined Figment yesterday, no they changed him 20 odd years ago, and it isn't that bad if you don't just hold on to the past too much. All these people working at Disney have more talent, expertise and degrees relevant to this than any body else in theirs fields, enjoy the changes, stop complaining. That quality will win out.

TikibirdLand

I have been a life long Disney fan, but one thing is for sure.... the people who plan and design these attractions aren't trying to cheapen the experience, they are trying to better it, in new and exciting ways. you guys care for the past too much, they've got rid or some well old innovations buildings, rarely used, and some shop fronts and a fountain. To try to add to the experience , you all keep going on about the imagination pavilion like they ruined Figment yesterday, no they changed him 20 odd years ago, and it isn't that bad if you don't just hold on to the past too much. All these people working at Disney have more talent, expertise and degrees relevant to this than any body else in theirs fields, enjoy the changes, stop complaining. That quality will win out.
I do agree that they're TRYING to improve the experience -- in a lot of ways. However, people have been complaining about the cheapening of Figment some 20-odd years ago for about that long. It needed to be FIXED not half the ride ripped out.

Almost universally, the new rides that have been done have either left capacity the same (FEA) or lessened them (Ellen's Energy Adventure, Great Movie Ride, Backlot Tour, Light, Motor, Action Show). Yet, the number of guests coming to the parks has been going up significantly over the years. Are there ANY that have added capacity? TRON will no significantly add capacity to MK.

While all this is going on, they're taking away all of the magical -- QUALITY -- shows in all the parks. We look forward to the Trolley Show, the Citizens of Hollywood, Nemo Musical, and many others. Let them blame it on the pandemic. But, it's cheap on their part to pull ME, bag delivery, trams, and even the cheap light saber protective cases. That doesn't sound like quality is winning out.

lazyboy97o

If they’re so great why did they need someone else to design the centerpiece they’ve since likely scrapped? 🤔

Casper Gutman

Imagination is a really bad ride because it’s a really bad ride. Now, if you remember what it replaced, it’s even worse, but it’s really bad on its own merits. The same is true of Mission: Space. Heck, the same is true of EPCOT as a whole.

In my opinion (and I don’t think it’s that unique) in only one case has WDW managed to replace a ride with a clearly superior ride - MMRR. That track record doesn’t inspire a great deal of faith in the abilities of modern management and Imagineers.

And I don’t think one can say anymore that Disney’s creatives are the best in the business. Thirty years ago, sure. Now, Uni is at least WDWs equal.

UNCgolf

Imagination is a really bad ride because it’s a really bad ride. Now, if you remember what it replaced, it’s even worse, but it’s really bad on its own merits. The same is true of Mission: Space. Heck, the same is true of EPCOT as a whole.

In my opinion (and I don’t think it’s that unique) in only one case has WDW managed to replace a ride with a clearly superior ride - MMRR. That track record doesn’t inspire a great deal of faith in the abilities of modern management and Imagineers.

And I don’t think one can say anymore that Disney’s creatives are the best in the business. Thirty years ago, sure. Now, Uni is at least WDWs equal.

I'd definitely disagree with that -- Great Movie Ride was better than MMRR and I don't think it's even close.

With that said, MMRR is a pretty good ride. It wasn't a significant downgrade like some other moves they've made. It's just stupid that they replaced GMR instead of building it as a new attraction.

As for Imagination, yeah, I'm not sure how anyone could argue it isn't a bad ride. Even when the parks are packed it's basically a walk-on. I'm pretty sure it's not even open in the deluxe extra hours, and that's likely because they know nobody cares about it. That means they don't have to pay staff to run it with no worries that people will complain it isn't open.

Last edited:

Poseidon Quest

The people in Imagineering are just "yes-men" trying not to lose their jobs at this point. I could have designed a better show than Kite-Tails, drawn up a more thematically interesting narrative for the new fireworks shows, or pitched something more interesting than a rehashed and synergistic narrative of children's IP for a new attraction. To defend such poor park additions and attraction design, especially when Disney's competition is proving how far they're about to lag behind, reveals a purposeful blindness to the many issues that will drag these parks down with expensive mistakes. I could come up with a dozen better ideas that tearing out the middle of Epcot just to erect a building for the purpose of up charging guests with obscene prices for fireworks dessert parties.

I can't stand MMRR. It's a lazy and poorly executed attraction that fails to meet an entertaining standard.

1. Poor pacing, erupting into chaos and not allowing riders to register the scenes.

2. Terrible blending between the scenes, not to mention the floor and the walls. I can project something onto a flat surface too.

3. Thematically out of place with HWS. The GMR acted as a thesis statement for the park, yet MMRR being shoehorned in is an insult to the intellectual capacity of the guests.

4. Using trackless dark ride technology to create a largely linear experience. At this point, why not just put it on a track? There are plenty of examples showing to how use this technology in interesting and innovative ways.

People like it now because it's new I suspect, but I doubt it's going to age very well. Within 5 years people will be asking for a replacement I predict.

J4546

I think MMRR looks awesome and when it is built in ToonTown DL I think it will be regarded as a top 3 ride for 90% of guests to the park. But this thread is about JoW....so lets see some recent pics please

tpoly88

Couldn’t agree more. Figment is a terrible ride and the whole imagination building needs to refurbished. Figment is a terrible ride and I won’t even waste my time on the caption Eo replacement. Horizons used to be a fun pavilion and body wars good and as I mentioned that I’m shocked they could use that infrastructure for a new ride. They redid star tours and it’s exactly the same ride structure. I really don’t want to go back 20 years to dream flight but they to freshen up some things in Epcot. My argument was that they are spending all this money and time on this new structure but I hope they spend money on other things in Epcot as it’s my favorite park.
btw the kite thing is the worst show I’ve ever seen and sorry the imagineers blew this one.

Incomudro

Mission Space is excellent, 'cept for some degree of queasiness.

doctornick

Mission Space is excellent, 'cept for some degree of queasiness.
Yeah, I wouldn’t describe M:S as a bad ride at all. In fact the intense side (orange right?) is actually pretty impressive and unique in terms of a theme park ride by recreating the feeling of actual astronaut training. Now I get that isn’t for everyone and a lot of folks can’t handle it, but it wouldn’t achieve its goal if it weren’t appropriately intense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom