Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The FoN dedication ceremony was attended by Lillian Disney, and IIRC she helped dedicate it somehow. It was a direct tie back to Walt, if you will, possibly the last one (I don't count his windows at MK). Tearing it out basically took out whatever was left of EPCOT Center's soul.

I remember being at MK in mid-to-late December 1997 with my then-future wife, and we wondered why the flags were at half-mast. They were lowered because Lilly had died the day before we went down.

Tied back to Walt because his wife showed up to a one-day ceremony?

Sorry, but I truly find that laughable.

Epcot, as built, was not what Walt wanted. They very specifically ditched what Walt wanted. They had ideas: "Hey, about about a permanent World's Fair?" "Hey how about a cultural center highlighting nations of the world?" "Hey about about mashing them into one park!"

That fountain had nothing to do with Walt. I was just a fountain. A one day ceremony doesn't make it special.

They could have called it "Fountain of Bears" and we'd all be like, "I don't see the bears." They could have called it "Fountain of Toys" and we'd all be like, "I don't see the toys."

I don't see the nations despite being called "Fountain of Nations."

A name is not a theme.

It was just a nice fountain. It's not elevated to the Platonic plane of theme park perfection because Walt's wife attended a ceremony that took place there.

Where are are thematic purists critical of everything that contemporary Disney does because they fail on "theme"?

That fountain has always failed on theme.

doctornick

Marni to one or two of the Bobs - "Bob tear down this tent"!!!

Sadly - I think those tents will outlive all of us

There's nothing wrong with the tents per se - it's the content of them that is lacking. I actually think the circus area is pretty nice, but it should have another attraction or two. It would be quite different if the two big tents houses a ride like Mickey's Madhouse or even a Pinocchio clone rather than a store and M&G.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Where are are thematic purists critical of everything that contemporary Disney does because they fail on "theme"?

That fountain has always failed on theme.
That's what you're missing - the theme wasn't "Nations". The theme was a Fountain. It was a fountain dedicated in the name of the unity of nations. The way you might dedicate a local park to a civil servant. You don't expect the park to look like them.

It worked because it was the kind of thing the designers hoped we would have in the future world. Features that commemorate and celebrate global unity as an ideal and a value. They weren't trying to depict an illusory environment that merely "looked" like it was in the future. Save that for Tomorrowland.

Future World wasn't a place where you stepped through a portal into another world. Future World was rooted IN the world. The point wasn't to make you feel like you traveled into an imaginary future, the point was to bring the future forward. Instead of waiting for the world to get its act together and move towards creating places like this, they did it themselves. Traveled down the lines of the eventualities and make them real so we could consider what could come next.

The standard of "theming" to which your trying to hold it is not the only standard - it's not even the GOLD standard. It's one that EPCOT proudly defied in the pursuit of something newer and genuinely more ambitious. That it seems to be lost on you isn't a failing of the park to achieve a level of "theming" that Future World actively rejected 40 years ago. Theming isn't theme. EPCOT Center had Theme in spades. And the Fountain of Nations was on theme.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
That's what you're missing - the theme wasn't "Nations". The theme was a Fountain. It was a fountain dedicated in the name of the unity of nations. The way you might dedicate a local park to a civil servant. You don't expect the park to look like them.

It worked because it was the kind of thing the designers hoped we would have in the future world. Features that commemorate and celebrate global unity as an ideal and a value. They weren't trying to depict an illusory environment that merely "looked" like it was in the future. Save that for Tomorrowland.

Future World wasn't a place where you stepped through a portal into another world. Future World was rooted IN the world. The point wasn't to make you feel like you traveled into an imaginary future, the point was to bring the future forward. Instead of waiting for the world to get its act together and move towards creating places like this, they did it themselves. Traveled down the lines of the eventualities and make them real so we could consider what could come next.

The standard of "theming" to which your trying to hold it is not the only standard - it's not even the GOLD standard. It's one that EPCOT proudly defied in the pursuit of something newer and genuinely more ambitious. That it seems to be lost on you isn't a failing of the park to achieve a level of "theming" that Future World actively rejected 40 years ago. Theming isn't theme. EPCOT Center had Theme in spades. And the Fountain of Nations was on theme.

It was just a fountain. A fine one.

I remain unconvinced it was anything more than that because of one ceremony and where it sat.

UNCgolf

I remain unconvinced it was anything more than that because of one ceremony and where it sat.

I think the synchronized shows made it more than a simple fountain. When it was fully functioning, they were very impressive and a relatively significant part of EPCOT's central area. A lot of people stopped to watch those shows.

That's also maybe the only improvement made to EPCOT in the entire 1990s!

Last edited:

Josh Hendy

I think the synchronized shows made it more than a simple fountain. When it was fully functioning, they were very impressive and a relatively significant part of EPCOT's central area. A lot of people stopped to watch those shows.
It was the first and most impressive thing I saw at Epcot on my very first visit there in the 90s. It's what I told my relatives about when I went home.

If any Disney exec decided to demolish it without building a similarly impressive replacement, then he probably never visited Epcot except with a crowd of clipboard carrying flunkies around him and his cellphone in his ear talking to Burbank. He probably frowned and moved away from the fountain to avoid the noise and spray. One of his flunkies later showed him on a park plan how the fountain area was a "dead zone" with no merch and alcohol sales, and guests tended to stand there watching the fountain instead of hurrying past it to spend more money.

So you could say, FP+ killed the fountain 🤔

jmuboy

Epcot has a new and exciting "neighborhood" called World Nature! Nature includes water! One of your favorite Disney characters loves water!

Sincerely,

WDI

This description above is easily about DOUBLE the actual thought process, brain power and design time that went into this "exciting new" Moana attraction.

yensidtlaw1969

tenor.gif

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Moana isn't even "about" water ... it just happens to be there in many of the scenes. It's like saying Snow White is about forestry.

You should be relieved to hear, then, that the water feature isn't about Moana....

In World Nature, The reinvention of Epcot will include Journey of Water, Inspired by “Moana.” This first-ever experience inspired by the Walt Disney Animation Studios’ hit film will let guests interact with magical, living water in a beautiful and inspiring setting.​
Also note that, at least here, it's not referred to as an "attraction."

But, you know, let's shake our fist at "The Moana Attraction."

Josh Hendy

But does Snow White have a powerful and mystical connection to forests like Moana does with water?
Confession ... I only saw it once ... the water motif didn't make any impression on me except she was sailing on it a lot. Was there a magic wave appearing at times? A fairy godwave is hard to relate to. Not really a character like Grandmother Willow or a theme like the circle of life. And it's hard to see how the magic wave can be represented in a theme park.

doctornick

Confession ... I only saw it once ... the water motif didn't make any impression on me except she was sailing on it a lot. Was there a magic wave appearing at times? A fairy godwave is hard to relate to. Not really a character like Grandmother Willow or a theme like the circle of life. And it's hard to see how the magic wave can be represented in a theme park.

A big aspect of the film is the how the Polynesian way of life involved interacting with the ocean and the film ends with Moana's people returning to their wayfaring ways. There's a significant scene where Maui is teaching her how to navigate and sail using historical methods (pretty cool IMHO from a historical standpoint of understanding on ancient Polynesian people traveled vast distances of the Pacific Ocean to find pretty small islands - though of course it is a superficial description in the movie).

Actually now that I think about it, if Journey of Water would illustrate man's historical use of water especially sailing and transportation that it would be hard to argue that it does not fit in with Epcot's general vibe of human achievement. I don't really see JoW doing that, but it would be a way to fit Epcot, ties into Moana well and be a great prelude to the Seas and the premise of humans living in a seabase under the seas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom