Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

James Alucobond

Are you talking about Inside Out, which gives character to emotions in a way that serves to strengthen the message of the movie? Ironically Moana’s use of water works too. But trying to tie this magic to the basic scientific process of the water cycle… that makes absolutely no sense and is also just really lame.

This would be like if Aladdin tried to incorporate a message about the gravity of carpets. Or if Toy Story was about the properties of plastic. Or if Iron Man was about the anatomy of the heart. Or if Star Wars… okay I’ll stop.

Disney is good at using magic to further themes, not to literally explain science.
I would assume @doctornick is referring to Cranium Command rather than Inside Out.

Incomudro

Location disputes aside, I think the biggest issue here is how it is being presented.

Using “magic” to give a thing fun characteristics it doesn’t normally possess is expected. That’s, like, page 1 in the edutainment playbook. The problem is suggesting those gags are legitimate in a teaching context.

Water is an inert substance which obeys the laws of physics. It doesn’t have a “playful personality.” It would be like advertising the Figment ride with a blurb saying “learn about how your imagination loves to make you smell skunk.”
Yeah, I support this addition to Epcot - on the premise of it being a lush, planted walk through in an otherwise dystopian swath.
While I was a huge fan of Epcot and its original edutainment angle, I don't consider this to be that despite them marketing it as such.

DreamfinderGuy

You mean like pretending there’s little people in your body controlling various body parts?
Cranium Command used its personification to teach people what functions the organs performed. Moana's equivalent of this would be to personify water as it moves through the water cycle, using a fantasy element to teach what the thing does in the real world. Water doesn't play or high five people in real life, but the heart really does pump blood whether its Kevin Nealon and Dana Carvey doing it or just muscles.

This isn't me hating on the "Water can play!" part of Moana because I recognize you've gotta do something here to make it not completely boring, but I don't think comparing it to Cranium Command is fair at all. One is being developed for what might as well be a different park than the other was, and leans far heavier into fantasy than the other did.

celluloid

I heard there is an unexpected delay due to pipe cracking but in the meantime they told us they are working on getting tje cranberry big back from food and wine festival and we can wade in that and play.

(This was a joke, I also don't think Ocean Spray has been back in years)

No Name

I heard there is an unexpected delay due to pipe cracking but in the meantime they told us they are working on getting tje cranberry big back from food and wine festival and we can wade in that and play.

(This was a joke, I also don't think Ocean Spray has been back in years)
New @DisneyAndUniversalFan poll incoming??

Ocean Spray Cranberry Bog vs Moana Journey of Water

IMG_6929.jpeg

1691390584673.jpeg

Horizonsfan

JOW’s main issue isn't the content. WOM, Kitchen Kabaret, and later WOL all bent things in a fantastical direction.

The big issue with JOW is the aesthetics. Classic Epcot had plenty of non-futuristic locales. SSE, WOM, UOE, Imagination, The Land, and eventually WOL all had decidedly non-futuristic set pieces. In The Land's case, the entire interior was somewhere between a county fair and an 80s upscale hotel.

The key difference then between classic Epcot design and JOW is the lack of transition. A futuristic portal/small pavilion that then transitioned into the outdoor tropical aesthetic would have really helped. There would have also been the added benefits of a more comfortable CM station as well as a guest respite for when a sudden downpour appears.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
JOW’s main issue isn't the content. WOM, Kitchen Kabaret, and later WOL all bent things in a fantastical direction.

The big issue with JOW is the aesthetics. Classic Epcot had plenty of non-futuristic locales. SSE, WOM, UOE, Imagination, The Land, and eventually WOL all had decidedly non-futuristic set pieces. In The Land's case, the entire interior was somewhere between a county fair and an 80s upscale hotel.

The key difference then between classic Epcot design and JOW is the lack of transition. A futuristic portal/small pavilion that then transitioned into the outdoor tropical aesthetic would have really helped. There would have also been the added benefits of a more comfortable CM station as well as a guest respite for when a sudden downpour appears.

We'll need to see it in context of the completed hub which will be almost completely green space. Except for Communicore Hall on the South side of JoW, it will be surrounded by greenery.

Horizonsfan

We'll need to see it in context of the completed hub which will be almost completely green space. Except for Communicore Hall on the South side of JoW, it will be surrounded by greenery.
It has nothing to do with the hub or CH, as you say they’ll be completely buffered by landscaping. The only context will be the seas, the old future world west ponds & SSE beyond, all undeniably modern in their aesthetics. Even post Nemo-fication.

I’m less antagonistic towards this than some on here. To me it’s a lateral move or half step up from Innoventions, just now open-air (and with a ton of cash burned). That said, they’ve clearly missed the mark on transitioning the trail to the former future world west.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It has nothing to do with the hub or CH, as you say they’ll be completely buffered by landscaping. The only context will be the seas, the old future world west ponds & SSE beyond, all undeniably modern in their aesthetics. Even post Nemo-fication.

I’m less antagonistic towards this than some on here. To me it’s a lateral move or half step up from Innoventions, just now open-air (and with a ton of cash burned). That said, they’ve clearly missed the mark on transitioning the trail to the former future world west.
I would have definitely put JoW in The Seas' front yard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom