Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

TheMaxRebo

I'd also bet people would care less IF this hadn't taken so long, if SSE had it's refurb / upgrades, IF the original pedestal festival centre was built (maybe? I know some dislike the design), IF the UK got it's little Mary Poppins expansion, IF Wonders of Life had reopened with it's new theme, etc. etc.

And if all of it was done about the same time this would be a really nice complementary attractions/activity

But, even as someone looking forward to it, as like the final major piece of "completing Epcot" it falls a bit short

Epcot81Fan

Sounds like I’m walking through either the Publix produce section before the mist starts or Rainforest. Neither are Epcot
No, no, you don’t get it because it fits in Epcot because there was once a jungle plant inside Universe of Energy!!!

1689818213601.jpeg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No, no, you don’t get it because it fits in Epcot because there was once a jungle plant inside Universe of Energy!!!

View attachment 731213
Funny you should post that in jest, because it's an indictment of some of the major flaws of EPCOT's Future World. There is zero educational value for the dinosaurs to be in Universe of Energy because petroleum/oil doesn't come from dead dinosaurs. And at the time UoE was built, the science community knew that.

In the revised Ellen's version, Bill Nye had to apologetically say they're there because "dinosaurs are cool."

From the beginning, the educational element of EPCOT had issues on the educational front. And spending a bunch of time with AA dinosaurs was one of those issues.

If UoE was a brand new attraction built today in the realm of social media, Disney would be pilloried for including them for no good reason.

Why is a Journey of Water inspired by Moana?

"Because it's cool."

SilentWindODoom

Then there is no reason or argument this fits in Epcot. I'm happy to view it that way (i.e. as a Moana attraction). But, people are claiming it fits because it focuses on the water cycle. If that's not true, then it truly has no reason to be in the park - in its historic or current form.

You said people are viewing it as Moana instead of water cycle. I suggested thinking of it as water cycle instead.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Then again, there were people who thought responding to "there are no jungles in EPCOT" with pictures of jungles of EPCOT was a stupid retort. I'm starting to think logic has taken a holiday.

something somebody GIF

Phicinfan

I think it's tough to argue it's not well landscaped and isn't, at a minimum, a pleasant distraction. It is very misplaced, really damages the symmetry and is over hyped based on the "level" of attraction. But it's not a bad thing. It's just very poorly designed/placed at the macro level.
Okay I am THAT guy. How is an edjutainment item about the cycle of life of Water in an area dedicated to Nature(world of Nature) misplaced?

The fact some can't embrace Epcot is changing isn't the fact this belongs somewhere else.

I agree, this COULD have been really great in Adventure land - not sure where the space could have been. But I would bet every dollar I have in the bank that those who say this would have been ranting that they put THIS in instead of fire mountain or some other ride.

Perhaps before folks over judge they should wait and see what it actually is?

Phicinfan

Theme parks are a spatial experience. They’re storytelling with built space. Just drawing lines on a map isn’t enough to create a connected experience and Journey of Water is spatially disconnected in multiple ways from the rest of World Nature.
it is next to Seas, and within vision of The Land, it doesn't HAVE to be between the two to be part of Nature. Perhaps one's view of what decides borders is the issue?

Bocabear

perhaps it if had been between the two pavilions on the same side of the walkway spanning the two, it would have made more sense spatially... but in it's current placement, even though the entrance is turned to the side, it is still abutting the central hub for the park... disconnected from The Living Seas and The Land pavilions...

mysto

perhaps it if had been between the two pavilions on the same side of the walkway spanning the two, it would have made more sense spatially... but in it's current placement, even though the entrance is turned to the side, it is still abutting the central hub for the park... disconnected from The Living Seas and The Land pavilions...

I agree it breaks up the old school circular courtyard and its symmetry. But I kind of like that. What used to be a large area you had to cross to get to something else, now has something in it. Plus that something is pretty and has shade. Having the entrance outside the ring will direct a little rope drop traffic to Moana and away from TT / frozen. Plus it adds a little maze-like navigation interest.

I would have preferred they use the old buildings for something, but for years they showed they really weren't going to, and the building probably had to come up anyway to fix the sewer.

Phicinfan

it is within sight lines of both, if that rates as disconnected then I don't know what to tell you. For an area to exist, it does not mean every single part must be connected in a straight line.

dreday3

I'm waiting to see the finished product of ALL of it and what they do in the actual new communicore building/hall.
Will it just be meet/greets?
Festival food booths?
or will they have interactive displays/edutainment type installations that change periodically. That could be great. And I'm curious to see what those lights they installed do, why they are there - potentially could have a great look.

Fear

it is within sight lines of both, if that rates as disconnected then I don't know what to tell you. For an area to exist, it does not mean every single part must be connected in a straight line.

I think the current Park Exit Bypass is also causing headaches. Once the spine is open, the bypass will close and the access to World Nature will be only from the central World Celebration area (and Imagination! if coming from the south). Closing that path off should help with making that corner of the park a proper corner.

Tony the Tigger

My thoughts about this have remained unchanged when it first began. It's a pretty area, that will be a nice distraction for a few moments when its new, but it will quickly be bypassed by anyone who has seen it before, and eventually effects will start to fail. There are better areas that are similar already at WDW - thinking of Pandora.

The center of the park could/should have been something truly impressive, and I don't think this is it. A missed opportunity.
I’m not fully up on the details, so am I incorrect in assuming this will feature some kind of mist/little splash and therefore slight cooling aspect? If so, I’d guess there would be no shortage of folks walking through it in the heat on the way from one place to another for years to come - kind of like Club Cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom