Journey Into Imagination 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

socalkdg

I like the new one, as does my daughter and wife. Its actually the first thing we do at Epcot as we always enter from International Gateway. We never saw the original. I did watch it on DVD and wasn't that impressed, but then again the film of EE wasn't all that but the ride was great, so its possible the first JII was better.

Same with Stitch. Never say AE(I would have loved it) and wouldn't take my 4 year old daughter on AE while we both thought Stitch was fun(wife thought it was lame but she isn't a fan of things that go bump in the night thus would have hated AE even more).

CThaddeus

I still go on it when I'm at Epcot. I like Eric Idle, Figment (I don't like the new voice. If only Billy Barty were still alive), the Figment room at the end, the starfield, and the song. I just don't care for the way it was all put together. They could have done so much more with it...instead they did so much less.

jedimaster1227

CThaddeus said:
I still go on it when I'm at Epcot. I like Eric Idle, Figment (I don't like the new voice. If only Billy Barty were still alive), the Figment room at the end, the starfield, and the song. I just don't care for the way it was all put together. They could have done so much more with it...instead they did so much less.

There are several things that show how cheap the ride is, but the three that are the worst are:

• The easy sight of walls and wiring in the middle of the different scenes
  • The completely wasted "Journey back to the Imagination Institute" room with just some music and a light-up Figment walking foot print effect
  • The easy sight of the finale behind the old Imagination scanners (from the 2nd version).

FigmentJedi

I'm okay with the current. It's just that it pales in comparison to the original and Channing just sits on a throne of lies. Maybe for the new version, they'll still have Dave Goelz(Muppeteer that plays Gonzo, Dr. Honeydew and Beauregard) be Figment's voice and maybe try other techniques to alter the recordings to make it sound more like Barty(the current Figment voice was Dave Goelz's voice for Gonzo, but with the pitch brought way up)

G2-4T

The current one has Figment all wrong, his attitude [or something like that] isn't right... With any luck they'll revert to much of the old one or at least use the same concept ideas and bring back Dreamfinder and Figment and dump Idle. With today's technology one would think they could simulate Barty's voice sucessfully to bring back the old Figment...

Scar Junior

Tahu said:
(the current Figment voice was Dave Goelz's voice for Gonzo, but with the pitch brought way up)

Whoa... I think you're right. I never realized it until you mentioned that! Now it seems even cheaper to me! :eek: :fork:

FigmentJedi

What? Because they used a Muppeteer as the voice for Figment? Better then having overused voice actors like Jeff Bennett(supposedly voiced Figment on House of Mouse, though I'm not sure where he actually appeared) do it...
I've really gotten used to the Goelz Figment, when writing my fanfiction, it's the voice I hear though just a pinch deeper.

T-1MILLION

Tahu said:
What? Because they used a Muppeteer as the voice for Figment? Better then having overused voice actors like Jeff Bennett(supposedly voiced Figment on House of Mouse, though I'm not sure where he actually appeared) do it...
I've really gotten used to the Goelz Figment, when writing my fanfiction, it's the voice I hear though just a pinch deeper.
Not sure if it makes it cheaper to me (it is pretty low anyway though)
A lower Goelz with a stronger push in the voice is Billy Barty.:( They could use his voice with today's technology. He was not an overused voice actor he was a jack of all trades so it worked. Billy Barty really acted with his voice to get those curious niave child like lines as if he was discovering the beuty of imagination for the first time.

FigmentJedi

I didn't mean to say Barty was an overused VA, I'm refering to the possibility of another Figment recast for the new version. I really do like Billy Barty's Figment, it's just that I'm not sure if there really is the technology to recreate the voice and have emotion in there too. That's the only trouble I have with digitally synthesized voices, no acting in there whatsoever. If Barty was still around, it would be great if he came back for the new version, but he unfortunatly isn't and it's going to be really hard to find a substitute with that distinct sound. Goelz and heck, probably Bennett, could work for a new version, but it's not going to be the same. That's the trick with recasting voices, hard to find someone that sounds that close.

T-1MILLION

Tahu said:
I didn't mean to say Barty was an overused VA, I'm refering to the possibility of another Figment recast for the new version. I really do like Billy Barty's Figment, it's just that I'm not sure if there really is the technology to recreate the voice and have emotion in there too. That's the only trouble I have with digitally synthesized voices, no acting in there whatsoever. If Barty was still around, it would be great if he came back for the new version, but he unfortunatly isn't and it's going to be really hard to find a substitute with that distinct sound. Goelz and heck, probably Bennett, could work for a new version, but it's not going to be the same. That's the trick with recasting voices, hard to find someone that sounds that close.

I wasan't saying you did think he was an overused VA. I just wanted to show how if they could recreate his voice it would be best for everyone if a new better version of the original of JII came out. I know what you meant.:wave:

jedimaster1227

T-1MILLION said:
I wasan't saying you did think he was an overused VA. I just wanted to show how if they could recreate his voice it would be best for everyone if a new better version of the original of JII came out. I know what you meant.:wave:

They could recreate his voice using the same techniques they used to recreate Marlon Brando's voice in Superman Returns.

FigmentJedi

jedimaster1227 said:
They could recreate his voice using the same techniques they used to recreate Marlon Brando's voice in Superman Returns.
How did they do that anyway? I know that James Earl Jones can have his voice digitally recreated because Lucasfilm recorded him speaking all the sounds in the English language so it would be possible to digitally create Darth Vader's voice in case something happened to him.

Space Mountain

I hate how at the beginning of the ride Figment is known as their "figment of imagination"...when figment belongs to the dreamfinder..

Joel

Space Mountain said:
I hate how at the beginning of the ride Figment is known as their "figment of imagination"...when figment belongs to the dreamfinder..

They probably kidnapped him.

jedimaster1227

Tahu said:
How did they do that anyway? I know that James Earl Jones can have his voice digitally recreated because Lucasfilm recorded him speaking all the sounds in the English language so it would be possible to digitally create Darth Vader's voice in case something happened to him.

I believe that the took archived audio logs from his voice work and found a person with a similar voice. Then, they had the new actor speak the dialogue required and then the studio adjusted it to match Brando's tone.

CoffeeJedi

jedimaster1227 said:
i thought that was Brando's real voice recorded back in the day, and it was his image that was digitally recreated

In any case, i don't have a problem with Goelz, they just need to "destitchify" Figment's character.

jedimaster1227

CoffeeJedi said:
i thought that was Brando's real voice recorded back in the day, and it was his image that was digitally recreated

In any case, i don't have a problem with Goelz, they just need to "destitchify" Figment's character.

That could be, Brando's character had a very very small part in Superman Returns.

Figment wasn't made to be annoying, he was meant to be playful and innovative. He isn't like that at the moment.

FigmentJedi

Figment's bound to be less of a pest when Dreamfinder comes back. The only reason he's being much more of a prankster is because of life under Channing's roof. He's become a rebel teen type, but not in the self destructive way.

Lewis Carroll

Account Suspended
jedimaster1227 said:
That could be, Brando's character had a very very small part in Superman Returns.

Figment wasn't made to be annoying, he was meant to be playful and innovative. He isn't like that at the moment.

I dont know if you ever saw the simpsons episode where Homer was hired by this disney esque company to voice a "hip new charecter" called Poochie the happen' dog...anyway the first time I rode the new imagination with figment I immediatly felt that new figment = poochie. So annoyingly loud, so "IN YOUR FACE". They turned a fun and sassy disney charecter into this obnoxious .

TO THE EXTREME!

FigmentJedi

First time I've seen Figment compared to Poochie(which is a bit of an insult, Poochie's much more obnoxious). Grizz used to compare JIIWF Figment to Bugs Bunny or Kuzco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom