Joe Rohde!!??

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Hi I'm new today at animal kingdom and I'm new here and don't know why but I saw Joe Rohde. He was outside of the park entrance as I was leaving with 5 other people around him. I was sondering what reasons he could be there for?? Is this rare????...I thought maybe it was the dine with an imagineer thing but the other people didn't look like tourists!

If Joe Rohde was doing Lunch with an Imagineer, I'd book it every single day of my trip.

Skipper Dan

I don't think the big wigs actually need to go to a park in order to green light something. That could be and probably would be done somewhere where scale models and other information could be presented out of public eye.

Unless Iger is actually trying to take a Walt style interest in the parks. Being creative, and actually walking on the grounds, to get a since of the idea being proposed.

Who am I kidding! He was just swooning a Saudi Prince! :p

wannabeBelle

If Joe Rohde was doing Lunch with an Imagineer, I'd book it every single day of my trip.

You and me both!!! I had the pleasure of hearing him speak at the AK's 10th anniversary. He is a wonderful public speaker and you can tell the passion that goes into his work and the great feeling behind it all. I was really impressed. As others have said though, AK is considered to be Joe's Park. I wouldnt be thinking too much of seeing him there. Have a great day all! Marie

Keppyslinger

Joe is the lead designer for the park. He's there fairly frequently.
Nothing to get excited about. It's like seeing Jacobsen at MK or Baxter at Disneyland.

So I do not really know anything about stuff like this. How often do these sorts of people come into the parks, and what are tey generally doing?

Thanks!

Pete C

Joe Rohde seems to be the best at theming, design, and attention to detail. I will say that Animal Kingdom is my favorite park to walk around and take in the incredible scenery. However, what about his rides? Most of the rides at AK are considered a "miss" for the most part. Dinosaur, while I love the ride, never has a line and is one of the more lambasted rides by Disney fans. Kali River Rapids was a huge miss...one of the most disappointing rides at WDW from every aspect. Everest opened to pretty lackluster reviews relative to what people were expecting, with many saying it was not thrilling enough and/or did not have enough on-ride show scenes. Now the ride's signature feature is broken beyond repair after a relatively short stint in service. Is Joe to blame for these rides, or someone else? For all the love he gets around here, I am not sure I understand why considering many of you bash AK the most.

Most of the rides at AK are considered a "miss" for the most part. Dinosaur, while I love the ride, never has a line and is one of the more lambasted rides by Disney fans. Kali River Rapids was a huge miss...one of the most disappointing rides at WDW from every aspect. Everest opened to pretty lackluster reviews relative to what people were expecting, with many saying it was not thrilling enough and/or did not have enough on-ride show scenes. Now the ride's signature feature is broken beyond repair after a relatively short stint in service. Is Joe to blame for these rides, or someone else? For all the love he gets around here, I am not sure I understand why considering many of you bash AK the most.

Really??? I am pretty new here, but it seems to me that most complaints with AK are about the quantity of rides, not quality (other than Yeti..). To me, those rides seem pretty well done, as is the park itself!

sublimesting

Or...maybe he was working on the new companion androids...

Mudd_Big.jpg
081210_NF_FEAT_Aulanifeat.jpg

No wonder the yeti is broken...Joe is wearing part of it in his ear!

puntagordabob

Assuming they are NOT selling the parks....

I would say all these sightings in WDW by those at the top of the power chain cannot be considered a bad thing at all... at worst it would be Nothing at all...at best it could be that Good Times for WDW are in the works.....

Since I am a Glass half-Full kind of guy I will HOPE this is the case.... however as a wise person once said: Hope for the best, Prepare for the worst.....

Here is Hoping for the Best!

kcnole

The problem with DAK is not that the rides it has are poor, as they're not. They could be better, but they're not a bad staple of D and E tickets. The problem is that there are no supporting rides. Its a similar issue that I see with IOA. You can't fill a park with only E-ticket rides. You need a number of much smaller family rides to make the entire park palpable. To me the smaller rides make up the meat of the visit with the E-tickets making up the frosting.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The problem with DAK is not that the rides it has are poor, as they're not. They could be better, but they're not a bad staple of D and E tickets. The problem is that there are no supporting rides. Its a similar issue that I see with IOA. You can't fill a park with only E-ticket rides. You need a number of much smaller family rides to make the entire park palpable. To me the smaller rides make up the meat of the visit with the E-tickets making up the frosting.

You like frosted meat? Other than that, I agree. DAK needs half a dozen small dark rides and what not.

Aero

re: The Yeti

Why he was ever built to use "the force of a 747" in the first place. It seems to me that he should be almost featherweight -- practically a puppet -- but built to look much more substantial. At least that's what he should be replaced with. Not sure why they can't Imagineer such a thing.

SleepingMonk

re: The Yeti

Why he was ever built to use "the force of a 747" in the first place. It seems to me that he should be almost featherweight -- practically a puppet -- but built to look much more substantial. At least that's what he should be replaced with. Not sure why they can't Imagineer such a thing.

My guess is they went the "heavy duty" steel route because the near constant motion wasn't conducive to using titanium and/or carbon fiber.

Either that or budget cuts.

:lol:

Aero

My guess is they went the "heavy duty" steel route because the near constant motion wasn't conducive to using titanium and/or carbon fiber.

Either that or budget cuts.

:lol:

I was thinking more like fur stitched onto chicken wire (or maybe something a little heavier than that). Inflatable, even! You only see him for a couple seconds... Seems like they could have done a lot with trickery/illusion and still have him working.

Kamikaze

I was thinking more like fur stitched onto chicken wire (or maybe something a little heavier than that). Inflatable, even! You only see him for a couple seconds... Seems like they could have done a lot with trickery/illusion and still have him working.

I'm going to guess you never saw him when he actually worked. He was very, very impressive then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom