Jeff Heimbuch: A Great Big Broken Tomorrow

TP2000

I tried it twice, once to DVC heads and once to parks management and got pretty much the same brush off from both which leads me to believe as I have stated in the past that until park revenues drop and DVC units go unsold that absolutely nothing will change.

Sending an email to corporate America does absolutely nothing, except send your words to a lower level cubicle drone working an auto-reply software correspondence system and jamming out to his iPod.

The only way to impact real change is to stop buying the product.

Emails and silly Facebook "petitions" do absolutely nothing, and no one of any importance ever sees them.

RonAnnArbor

Just an anecdote from last month's trip --
COP's father in the 40's section went through all it's movements, but the mouth wouldn't move -- it was downright eerie --
Right afterwards I told the operator at the desk outside the attraction. About an hour later, the COP was closed, and later in the afternoon, on a re-ride, the mouth movement had indeed been reset and fixed.
Sometimes you just need to open your mouth and tell someone about what you see.

One that annoys me to no end is the never-working fogscreen in Pirates of the Caribbean - where the projection no longer really shows. Sometimes its just plain old turned off. Sometimes there are attempts made to do something. But never does it seem to be plain old replaced and fixed.

beachlover4444

I visit Walt Disney World about every other month and never make reservations in advance and have never had trouble getting into any restaurant (except Ohana) on property. The Signature restaurants are normally the easiest to obtain, but others are not impossible. It's become easier since they have gone to the credit card requirement for reservations. The dining plan makes the restaurants busier but you can still dine at the last minute.
i'm assuming you are in florida and can go on non busy days if you are going that often so maybe you don't have an issue but my last few trips down from Ohio and we haven't been able to get into 50's primetime or mama Melrose or crystal palace as a walk in. even in non peak hours. my sister works at mama Melrose and she can tell you rarely do they accept walk ins unless its the real slow season.

beachlover4444

It is so difficult to run a park 365 days a year and add to that all the extra magic, extended hours. There is barely enough time to go in and clean let alone keep up with painting and greasing and fixing belts and stuff. I heard Big Thunder brakes were in really bad shape when they took it down for the rebuild. New Dumbo opened and it's already experiencing issues with rubbing and hydraulic issues. And that dumbo queue tent is a disaster. Then the spash casey jr area gets all slippery from the suntan lotion that washes off people. That water is recycled yuck. Sometimes they just need to step back and rethink it and ask workers what works and what doesn't.

Tom Morrow

I will say that, while chipped paint and holes in seats should be fixed, I think there are much bigger problems to worry about. Lets get every ride effect working, every animatronic fluidly moving, every speaker and audio system tuned correctly, every projector updated, etc... before we worry about scuff marks on a door.

Not too long ago I got to visit DLR for the first time after spending a lifetime as a WDW person. I was originally going to write a huge new thread about my comparisons, but never got around to it. One definite thing that is worth mentioning though is that their ride and show quality is just astounding in comparison. Every single ride looks, feels, and sounds brand new. Sure, there were probably scuff marks and scratches on the ride vehicles... but honestly that sort of thing is to be expected with the amount of wear and tear this stuff endures.

asianway

Sending an email to corporate America does absolutely nothing, except send your words to a lower level cubicle drone working an auto-reply software correspondence system and jamming out to his iPod.

The only way to impact real change is to stop buying the product.

Emails and silly Facebook "petitions" do absolutely nothing, and no one of any importance ever sees them.
I've seen people live in denial of this, good post.

Any idea where the cutoff is for this? VP, SVP, division President? Reaching out to the highest level who will actually read it is probably the best way to get the message out

Bairstow

I would imagine the cutoff is at the lowest-possible level of customer service intake.
That is, after all, their job.
Anyone else has other things they need to be doing and will direct customer/guest feedback where it "belongs."

TP2000

Not too long ago I got to visit DLR for the first time after spending a lifetime as a WDW person. I was originally going to write a huge new thread about my comparisons, but never got around to it. One definite thing that is worth mentioning though is that their ride and show quality is just astounding in comparison. Every single ride looks, feels, and sounds brand new. Sure, there were probably scuff marks and scratches on the ride vehicles... but honestly that sort of thing is to be expected with the amount of wear and tear this stuff endures.

I've been noting the differences in audio, animatronics and effects between Disneyland and WDW for years. One of my favorite things to do is to spend a day at Disneyland riding a bunch of the classics (Pirates, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Splash Mt., Soarin', Peter Pan, etc.) a day or two before I leave for a WDW visit. Then see how they compare to the cloned WDW versions when I get to Florida, and it's often quite a shock.

I'm not sure that I would say that at Disneyland "Every single ride looks, feels, and sounds brand new" as you stated, as there are occasional problems or issues I can note at Disneyland too. But I think your experience is a very valid one as a WDW veteran, and your Disneyland experience came from a different perspective than mine as someone who visits WDW regularly and occasionally treks out to the other coast.

It's become more and more noticeable in recent years, the very different way the two American resorts are operated. And by the same company. In the same country. It's odd that's it's like that, but there it is.

Now, you want true maintenance perfection? Go to Tokyo Disneyland. Although some of their pristine maintenance is due to their vastly different culture, where no one misbehaves in public and the greater good is of more importance than any one individual.

TP2000

I've seen people live in denial of this, good post.

Any idea where the cutoff is for this? VP, SVP, division President? Reaching out to the highest level who will actually read it is probably the best way to get the message out

For Disney? I have no clue where that cutoff lies, or at what level of executive they are given the perk of email anonymity with a special address. My guess would be Park VP's like Phil Holmes, Mary Niven, etc. and above. They are trotted out as the figure heads of parks during media events, so they probably need some ability to not get bugged by every frothing superfan who saw their picture in the Orlando Sentinel or LA Times. But that's just a wild guess.

And again, this isn't a Disney thing. Any big company does this for their executives and public figureheads, and have been doing it for years.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Dear Lord! Iger should be afraid of a bolt of lighting coming down from Walt directed right at him for the filth in CoP.

Shareholders should have Iger's head for Maelstrom for the mold situation and where the heck is the Board of Health??? Not only are guests exposed to that mold shown in those pictures, the CM's exposed to that day in and day out, Iger should be praying one of them doesn't get very sick.

I was in AK the week the first branch fell from the Tree, that was in April and they closed the attraction then closed the paths and re-opened Bugs. April and it still is under ropes. Good Lord Disney is just asking for it.
Disappointing doesn't cover it.

Tom Morrow

I've been noting the differences in audio, animatronics and effects between Disneyland and WDW for years. One of my favorite things to do is to spend a day at Disneyland riding a bunch of the classics (Pirates, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Splash Mt., Soarin', Peter Pan, etc.) a day or two before I leave for a WDW visit. Then see how they compare to the cloned WDW versions when I get to Florida, and it's often quite a shock.

I'm not sure that I would say that at Disneyland "Every single ride looks, feels, and sounds brand new" as you stated, as there are occasional problems or issues I can note at Disneyland too. But I think your experience is a very valid one as a WDW veteran, and your Disneyland experience came from a different perspective than mine as someone who visits WDW regularly and occasionally treks out to the other coast.

It's become more and more noticeable in recent years, the very different way the two American resorts are operated. And by the same company. In the same country. It's odd that's it's like that, but there it is.

Now, you want true maintenance perfection? Go to Tokyo Disneyland. Although some of their pristine maintenance is due to their vastly different culture, where no one misbehaves in public and the greater good is of more importance than any one individual.
Oh, I'm sure there were issues at Disneyland that I didn't notice or overlooked, and my perception of it was probably heavily influenced by the fact that it was new to me. BUT - I have a very keen eye and ear for show quality if I do say so myself... and nothing at Disneyland was obvious to me. I think that's the difference. Its comparing mostly subtle "that puff of smoke didn't go off" issues to WDW's blatantly obvious stuff like "the most important show effect in the attraction was broken".

Oh, and the audio levels at DLR were all nice and loud and well-calibrated (is that the correct term?). At WDW lately things are poorly calibrated (as mentioned in the OP article) and often too quiet to properly be heard/immerse you.

blueboxdoctor

Well I didn't know that's what the nets are for, but that's kind of disturbing since they weren't there a year ago (well, I suppose 2 years now that we're in 2013, but summer 2011 they were not there). Still, that may be addressed as they do some work on it this year (at least it should be). Though, the water damage for Maelstrom is very noticeable just by walking to the ride, you'd think that wouldn't be that hard of a fix.

TP2000

Oh, and the audio levels at DLR were all nice and loud and well-calibrated (is that the correct term?). At WDW lately things are poorly calibrated (as mentioned in the OP article) and often too quiet to properly be heard/immerse you.

I've noticed the audio issues too, but I'm no professional sound technician. Things often sound muddier and muffled at WDW, where the same ride or show audio at Disneyland is booming and crisp. Although, I am really impressed with the stretching room audio at WDW's Haunted Mansion and can't understand why they haven't brought that effect to Disneyland by now. But overall, you understand the point.

I have a habit of chit-chatting in long queues. A year or two ago I was in line at Indiana Jones and struck up a conversation with a nice couple who were both music teachers from Ohio (the exact OH city escapes me) on their first trip to Disneyland after years of WDW visits. We got to talking about the differences between WDW and Disneyland, and you know what their biggest issue was? Not the size of the castles, not the transportation systems, not the different climates. They were just super-impressed at the audio quality of Disneyland attractions. o_O

The husband in particular was convinced that Disneyland was using the most advanced audio systems on the market, and they both felt it had completely made their visit a great one. Funny the things some folks pick up on, but these two music teachers really were impressed.

sweetpee_1993

So Disney could track us every step of our vacation. At what cost.

Now I understand your posts

thanks

At what cost? $1.5 billion & growing. Now, start thinking about all the things that could've been accomplished in maintenance & TLC w/that kind of investment. That's where the cost grows exponentially. About as sickening as the mold that TDO likes to pretend isn't growing inside its attractions.

sweetpee_1993

The excuse that multiple rides can't all be down at the same time and/or maintaining such vast amounts is impossible is hollow at best. Disneyland is a much smaller resort with only 2 parks yet they don't operate in fear of taking attractions down for proper refurbs or maintenance. Heck, the entire entrance to DCA was a tunnel of walls for how long while the new entrance was recently built? TDA was willing to do what it took and weather the storm to find a better tomorrow. Look at the resounding success the DLR has been basking in! If taking multiple attractions out for prolonged periods is such a recipe for disaster, tell it to DLR...because that's exactly what they do and the praises for their better product are being sung for all to hear.

I love when people say "WDW is still great but..." then you hear about the decline in show quality, broken features, filthy conditions, meh food, and crazy price increases. I have to laugh. "WDW is still great but...." No, it's not. Get honest. It's okay to say it. WDW is a shadow of its former glory. It stinks to pay more for less. And it's insulting to consumers for TDO to think that people don't notice or, worse yet, not give a rats @ss if they do. That's not the WDW I grew up in awe of.

OMGosh! And then there's "As far as theme parks go, WDW is still better." Um, no. For amusement parks WDW is better. Theme parks? Nah. Not that the potential isn't there. Current execution vs. what we all know they're capable of is dismal. Perform to your potential then I'll think you've got it going on. Just sayin.

As much as I don't want to sound so terribly pessimistic, I feel more strongly that a major accident resulting in serious injury or death to a guest will be the only thing big enough to cause TWDC to wake up & do something about their mess in FL is what will have to happen. You can't complain because the right people won't hear. You can't just stop going because there's always more chomping at the bit to go. You can't wait around for the management evolution because that's just a shifting of names. It's like politicians. They're still all the same at the end if the day so what ever really changes? The bottom line for those people is always the same: numbers and how they can twist numbers to benefit themselves. If/when a guest (not a CM) is injured or killed as a result of the crappy maintenance it'll be a big red flag that can neither be justified or denied. And it'll cost TWDC big not only in terms of $$ from lawsuit(s), it'll be negative publicity that can cut their bottom line and put a nasty black on the mouse. As terrible as it sounds, I'm really starting to believe that's the way it will all play out.

**Note: when I say this terrible thing will have to happen to a guest vs. a CM its not because I think CMs are any less valuable as humans than guests. It's a difference in how guests would perceive the incident. If its a CM there's still room for a guest disconnect: "That happened to a CM, Disney would never allow it to happen to a guest." vs. "That could have been me or my family! Wow!" Make sense?**

I HATE that any of us are even having this frickin' conversation because it's all so unnecessary and totally avoidable.

BTW, last time I was in Philharmagic and CoP I wished I had brought a towel or something to cover the seat before I sat down. The funk is just disgusting. It turns my stomach to even think of sitting on those seats. Blech!

tomman710

BTW, last time I was in Philharmagic and CoP I wished I had brought a towel or something to cover the seat before I sat down. The funk is just disgusting. It turns my stomach to even think of sitting on those seats. Blech!

Amen to everything, sister. Leave it to Texas to break it down so eloquently.

P.S. Speaking of Philharmagic have you looked at the vents on the seats in front of you that blast the water out? It's pretty much caked with gunk, sediments, and all manner of disease, I'm sure one of the Hepatitises are represented ... disgusting. As a general PSA I'd close your mouth when you know the water sprays are coming.

sweetpee_1993

Amen to everything, sister. Leave it to Texas to break it down so eloquently.

P.S. Speaking of Philharmagic have you looked at the vents on the seats in front of you that blast the water out? It's pretty much caked with gunk, sediments, and all manner of disease, I'm sure one of the Hepatitises are represented ... disgusting. As a general PSA I'd close your mouth when you know the water sprays are coming.

Thank you. Although, I can't claim Texas. We live here because the pay is good but we aren't from here and don't intend to stay forever. If money were no object we'd be a bit further east. ;)

I can't say I've taken a really close look at the vents. I think I'm afraid to now that you say something. LOL! The Philharmagic sprays as well as any show that includes a sprinkling have always grossed me out. Plus, I'm made of sugar. I'll melt. I have my techniques for blocking the source(s). Really, tho, isn't it sad to be having this conversation as well??? **sigh**

tomman710

Thank you. Although, I can't claim Texas. We live here because the pay is good but we aren't from here and don't intend to stay forever. If money were no object we'd be a bit further east. ;)

I can't say I've taken a really close look at the vents. I think I'm afraid to now that you say something. LOL! The Philharmagic sprays as well as any show that includes a sprinkling have always grossed me out. Plus, I'm made of sugar. I'll melt. I have my techniques for blocking the source(s). Really, tho, isn't it sad to be having this conversation as well??? **sigh**

Yup. I'm from here and live in Houston but I'd probably pick elsewhere to live if I didn't need to work but economically speaking it's a hard city to leave when all things are factored in ..

Anyway ... back on topic ... yes it's annoying that we are having these discussions and it's even more annoying that I have bought SW and Uni annual passes and have booked at hotels at Uni and off Disney site for upcoming trips (it's not annoying that I bought those or am staying there, I really enjoy those places ... it's annoying from the perspective that I am planning on letting my Disney AP expire and I didn't even give it a thought to book on site or care much about going to the WDW parks ... it's annoying that they have driven another, once rabid, fan to look elsewhere ... )

sweetpee_1993

Yup. I'm from here and live in Houston but I'd probably pick elsewhere to live if I didn't need to work but economically speaking it's a hard city to leave when all things are factored in ..

Anyway ... back on topic ... yes it's annoying that we are having these discussions and it's even more annoying that I have bought SW and Uni annual passes and have booked at hotels at Uni and off Disney site for upcoming trips (it's not annoying that I bought those or am staying there, I really enjoy those places ... it's annoying from the perspective that I am planning on letting my Disney AP expire and I didn't even give it a thought to book on site or care much about going to the WDW parks ... it's annoying that they have driven another, once rabid, fan to look elsewhere ... )

Oh cool! We're in Kemah! Neighbors! Drove into "town" on Monday to hit up some boutiques on Westheimer to find the right dress for formal night on the Magic this month. Will be venturing back in tomorrow afternoon to pick up my gown post-alteration. Have ya gone out to Galveston to see the Magic since she's been coming & going? I know we're prob'ly much closer (20 minutes) so it's become one of the hubby's favorite things to do.

I feel ya. We were AP holders for many years. I let mine & the boys' go then the hubby's followed. It's an odd feeling at first knowing you don't have them whenever you're popping into or passing thru Central Florida. We've not been in any of the 4 parks in over a year which has a foreign feeling all it's own. I'm still not compelled to go out of my way to visit either. We'll be in the parks on the 22nd of this month because Port Canaveral is a port of call on the Magic cruise. The transfers to/from the parks and the 1-day PHs are included in the cruise fare. I wouldn't dream of dedicating a whole vacation to WDW in the forseeable future because I can't see throwing good money away to be disappointed. It's an opportunity to see TT2.0 & FLE. This way we can say we've seen it. One and done, sadly. Never eeeeeever thought I'd be saying that about anything at WDW.

wendysue

I wrote my letter this morning to Disney. Their new website helped me. Booking a vacation with Disney used to seem magical on the older websites, what with Tink flying around and pixie dust and all, but the new website is just like any other hotel booking experience and shows how very expensive it has gotten. I let them know that the much higher pricing, the lower quality of food at ridiculous prices (so you must get the ddp), and having to book EVERYTHING months in advance is no longer acceptable. After going to WDW every year (sometimes twice) for many years, they have surpassed what our extended family is willing to pay. I know we are just one family, but we aren't the ONLY family that feels this way....very sad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom