Jeff Heimbuch: A Great Big Broken Tomorrow

Tinkerkell

One place I noticed a lot of wear and tear is the seats on the People Mover (TTA). Several times, we had seats with holes or rips in them. I thought I took a photo of this, but just looked through my photos and couldn't find it.

Details. It's all in the details.

bethymouse

One place I noticed a lot of wear and tear is the seats on the People Mover (TTA). Several times, we had seats with holes or rips in them. I thought I took a photo of this, but just looked through my photos and couldn't find it.

Details. It's all in the details.
Oh my! I noticed in September the condition of the seats at most of the "theaters".:( Paint jobs needed to be done as well.:( It was kinda "gross".:( Has the new FLE, and all of the other projects "slowed down" maintaining the property as a whole? I don't know. My 2012 trip was a 15th anniversary "gift". I was a bit disappointed in the lack of "magic". Don't get me wrong, I love Disney very much, but my previous trips were somehow more magical. ( 2007-2011). So, I say bring on 2014 and the mine train when the new FL can be experienced in ALL its glory and MAGIC!:D

Bairstow

So its usually hidden by lighting? Which makes the situation worst because its acknowledgement by Disney that a problem exist but its quicker and cheaper to hide it away with lighting.

My point is that there's never really a need for a dark ride to look pristine under flash photography when it's never meant to be seen that way. In fact, they explicitly tell you not to use flash photography, so to be offended when imperfections in the decorations are revealed by your flashbulbs is silly.

Malin

Original Poster
You can make that case if it was intended to be this way on opening day. But I don't think the images that have been shown in the flash pictures looked that way on its first day of operation. Also from my understanding these images can be seen with the naked eye. It just comes across to me as another Disney Fan trying to make excuses up for the current decline at Walt Disney World.

Magenta Panther

I don't consider myself a 'doom and gloomer' by any means :D but I did feel compelled to write after reading that article and a lot of stuff on here over the past couple of weeks. Here's what I wrote to The Disney Co., and I tweeted WDW as well. We spend hours and countless posts and threads complaining, I hope that each of us complaining about something or other will take a few minutes to get off the forum and write a letter, or a tweet. I know a lot of people think complaining on here will affect change, but it hasn't thus far, and it's always best to go right to the source. I think it's time for everyone to but your money where your mouth is, proverbially speaking.

Hello!

I am a life long fan and guest of Walt Disney World. It is a huge part of my life, and I look forward to sharing this love with my child as she grows. The entertainment and experience you provide is second to none.

I am writing after quite a while of going back and forth as to whether or not I should, but my love for the parks has finally pushed me to do so. Our next trip will be my 13th trip in my lifetime, our second with our now 2 1/2 year old girl. Our last trip was in 2011, and I enjoyed it immensely. However, I was disappointed to see WDW was not all I usually expect. To be frank, the standards that I expect and assume will always be the Disney standard were not all there. Some Cast Members were not in the most magical mood. I saw paint chips, missing pieces in attractions, and a creaky Carousel of Progress, one of my most beloved attractions. We still had a wonderful vacation, but I was disappointed to see things not up to the bar that your company has set for so many decades.

For the first time ever, we have considered taking a trip shorter than a week and a half next year. In times like these, money is an issue for everyone, and I truly did question why I was spending the amount I do on a Disney vacation when I personally feel things were not up to par. When you set the bar for theme parks everywhere, people expect it to be that way all the time.

As I stated above, I did not feel compelled to write until now. I had convinced myself things would get better without me saying anything, that your company had such high standards that they would take care of the issues on their own. I am also a frequent visitor to many WDW forums and websites because I love to talk vacation planning and what's in store for WDW in the future. Throughout the past few weeks, I have seen and read while reading peoples trip reports that in fact none of these issues have been taken care of, and I read this article, http://micechat.com/18766-a-great-big-broken-down-tomorrow, and I was compelled to reach out to you.

I know I am only one person, but please know that there are many ardent fans like myself that have such a love of WDW that seeing a decline in your standards is truly a disappointment. I am hoping others will reach out to you, and the love we have of your parks, and the money we're willing to spend will compel someone to make our vacations all we have expected from The Disney Company in the past, and make it a brighter future for our family and friends we're introducing to a lifelong love of WDW.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Kelly xxxxx

Now THAT is an intelligent, thoughtful and well-written letter! BRAVO! :)

Magenta Panther

And this is why the attraction looks the way it does.

Exactly. I get the feeling that some goodhearted Disney fans here think it's downright traitorous when other Disney fans notice flaws and complain about them. Or maybe "complain" isn't a fair word. "Worry" and "anxious" and "a little heartbroken" might be more accurate terms. Speaking for myself, I love Disney, by which I mean "the legacy of Walt Disney, based on innovation, quality second to none, imagination, moral resonance, art that inspires, and craft that comes as close as mortals can ever come to producing real magic". That describes Disney for me. The current people in charge of Disney, unfortunately, just seem to see it as another corporation. No doubt Robert Iger believes that cutting costs, raising prices, and buying off-studio entities are smart business moves. Growing the business is more important to him than maintaining and enhancing the legacy that made us all Disney fans in the first place. Personally, I don't think that's a smart business move in the long run. Especially when theme-park rivals like Universal are eating Disney's lunch when it comes to upkeep, design, and immersive attractions.

I hope the next person in charge of the company (and 2015 can't come soon enough for me in that regard) has a better feel for things than Iger. We can only hope...

steamboat wil

I have also posted this link on the WDW and Disney Institute Face Book page. Get more exposure when thousands of other guests also see this as well. I was very polite but posed a statement stating that Disney leadership is NOT practicing what they get paid to teach other companies.

Your post was removed on the WDW facebook page but I was just there to remind them I saw it. I might not have been as polite but tough love and more recognition of these issues might light a fire under their .

Bairstow

You can make that case if it was intended to be this way on opening day. But I don't think the images that have been shown in the flash pictures looked that way on its first day of operation. Also from my understanding these images can be seen with the naked eye. It just comes across to me as another Disney Fan trying to make excuses up for the current decline at Walt Disney World.

Believe me, I understand why fans are irritated on the degraded condition of Disney's Orlando parks.
Heck, I was riding Splash Mountain when the debris fell last October.
I just think Mr. Heimbuch's article gets a little carried away in trying to find things to be legitimately disappointed in.

That polar bear cub, for instance.
Has anyone been on Maelstrom in the last couple days? Is it still like that, with broken concrete and exposed machinery?

Tinkerkell

Above I mentioned the condition of the seats on the People Mover. I found my photo, which was taken in Sept. 2012.

8332934371_e9a60a1b81.jpg

HatboxGhost

When my wife and I see something that looks like it should be replaced or repaired we always say.....What would Walt have done? I think we pretty much know the answer.

DVC4bestvacations

I will be in WDW this January for seven days. As a DVC member we have used our points for Cruises since ’06. Except for a day or two here and there we have not spent a full vacation there. That being said I feel I can’t make an educated assessment of the upkeep of the world.

My question is:

Do you feel that the “right” Disney people read these posts? “Right” meaning someone in upper management not some middle management jack*ss. That would rather sweep the issues under the carpet so he/she doesn’t look bad.

If you really are as passionate about WDW as you would like the rest of us to believe. Would’nt it be more effective to go to the “top” why is it that no one has posted contact info for upper management? (That I have seen)

Anyone can “” on an internet site.

Step up or shut up!

There is strength in numbers.

More to come after my vacation

copcarguyp71

Contacts for execs have been repeatedly posted and this idea mentioned often....search is your friend. Many have written letters (including myself) and sent them to the appropriate ivory tower offices (again search these threads) and the canned responses full of inaction just keep coming back. If you think that contacting execs has not been done think again.

copcarguyp71

Anyone can “” on an internet site.

Step up or shut up!

OK, I think you really need to look around this site a bit more before throwing those stones. I do not want to start a pi$$ing contest with you but you are relatively new and it is great that you are jumping in feet first but calling out the membership here so soon after joining is asking for "spirited retort". This may or may not fall on deaf ears and maybe you think I am being a jerk but in all honesty I am trying to help. Hopefully your trip goes great and we get a full rundown after your return fom the world.

Bairstow

I really doubt hassling executives is going to do any good.

It's not that they don't know about the issues, or that Disney fanatics are annoyed with them- it's that they've calculated that the cost of fixing these things outweighs any potential hit to attendance that lessened maintenance might produce. Unlike Disneyland, most guests to Walt Disney World come once only every couple years and are unlikely to notice if things are grimier than the last time they were there. If you want to send a message to Disney, stop going to their parks. When and if attendance starts to slide and guest surveying reveals poor park maintenance as being a primary factor for guests choosing not to return, Walt Disney World may choose to devote additional resources to upkeep.

Anything short of that, or multiple guests being squashed by a falling Tree of Life branch, won't change anything.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I'm going to point out flaws in a dark ride by being a and taking flash pictures...
Y
I really doubt hassling executives is going to do any good.

It's not that they don't know about the issues, or that Disney fanatics are annoyed with them- it's that they've calculated that the cost of fixing these things outweighs any potential hit to attendance that lessened maintenance might produce. Unlike Disneyland, most guests to Walt Disney World come once only every couple years and are unlikely to notice if things are grimier than the last time they were there. If you want to send a message to Disney, stop going to their parks. When and if attendance starts to slide and guest surveying reveals poor park maintenance as being a primary factor for guests choosing not to return, Walt Disney World may choose to devote additional resources to upkeep.

Anything short of that, or multiple guests being squashed by a falling Tree of Life branch, won't change anything.
Ou dont need to point out flaws to achieve that

HatboxGhost

It sucks that sometimes innocent people have to get hurt or killed before they do something as they would feel forced to do so. I hope it doesnt come to this.

Bairstow

It sucks that sometimes innocent people have to get hurt or killed before they do something as they are now feeling forced to do so. I hope it doesnt come to this.

I hope it doesn't either.
I'm sure their legal department is screaming at the bean counters to do something better than nets.
The Sailing Ship Columbia incident ended up costing Anaheim 25 million.

HatboxGhost

I hope it doesn't either.
I'm sure their legal department is screaming at the bean counters to do something better than nets.
The Sailing Ship Columbia incident ended up costing Anaheim 25 million.

I feel like an idiot....and I should know this..... but what was the Columbia incident?

DVC4bestvacations

OK, I think you really need to look around this site a bit more before throwing those stones. I do not want to start a pi$$ing contest with you but you are relatively new and it is great that you are jumping in feet first but calling out the membership here so soon after joining is asking for "spirited retort". This may or may not fall on deaf ears and maybe you think I am being a jerk but in all honesty I am trying to help. Hopefully your trip goes great and we get a full rundown after your return fom the world.

I was not throwing stones. If my post was taken as confrontational it wasn't intended to be. As for being a newbee here my reply is: I have been a Disney customer for 30+ years DVC member, 20 wdw vacations, 4 disney cruises, my house is full of disney art. So newbe or not I feel I have the right to ask these question which by the way you have not answered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom