Jasmine's new look

discos

?
She's still wearing pants.

Here's a photo of her kneeling (ALADDIN):
29482769225_17e1a4cc79_b.jpg
I think the turtle neck and the turquoise part covering her chest is what really throws off the whole costume. If it would have been a lower cut top with a gold necklace, still keeping everything else the same in this new design, it would have been more recognizable as Jasmine; besides the fact that the quality of the costume looks like a Walmart Halloween costume

Weather_Lady

I certainly understand the concerns over modesty and/or the mistreatment of young women wearing the original outfit. Jasmine is a sexy young woman (she can't help it -- like Jessica Rabbit, she was "drawn that way") and although it's not a costumed character actress's fault if men act boorishly around her, by the same token a Disney employee shouldn't have to endure it if it can be prevented with an attractive, more modest outfit that is still true to the character. My issue is with the ugliness and unrecognizability (is that a word?) of the new Jasmine costume. If Disney was going to do a redesign, why invent something out of whole cloth (pardon the pun)? As other posters (sorry, I didn't read every page, but I know this was mentioned) pointed out, Jasmine has some beautiful, more modest options that are part of her "canon wardrobe" in the film and follow-up cartoons -- not to mention, there's no reason the original costume couldn't have been redesigned to offer greater coverage. If Disney can design an age-appropriate and character-resembling Jasmine costume for toddlers, it can certainly design one for a grown woman. (The artwork is from DeviantArt, by artist LadyAquanine73551.)

princess_jasmine__s_wardrobe_by_ladyaquanine73551-d58noe4.jpg

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

I certainly understand the concerns over modesty and/or the mistreatment of young women wearing the original outfit. Jasmine is a sexy young woman (she can't help it -- like Jessica Rabbit, she was "drawn that way") and although it's not a costumed character actress's fault if men act boorishly around her, by the same token a Disney employee shouldn't have to endure it if it can be prevented with an attractive, more modest outfit that is still true to the character.
Art imitating life.

Women having to cover themselves lest men not be able to control their urge to violate her.

So I guess that sadly, even at Disney Arabian women are not safe from men unless burqa'ed. Though it reflects poorly on WDW's audience that it is now of the same level as some of the most backwards and viciously stupid cultures of the world.

a148d3d5-0791-4c21-99fd-8b995d1705ab.format_jpeg.format_jpeg.resize_610x.inline_yes.jpg

Weather_Lady

Art imitating life.

Women having to cover themselves lest men not be able to control their urge to violate her.

So I guess that sadly, even at Disney Arabian women are not safe from men unless burqa'ed. Though it reflects poorly on WDW's audience that it is now of the same level as some of the most backwards and viciously stupid cultures of the world.

a148d3d5-0791-4c21-99fd-8b995d1705ab.format_jpeg.format_jpeg.resize_610x.inline_yes.jpg

I hope my post didn't come off as "Jasmine-blaming," because I didn't mean it that way -- what I was trying to say (poorly) is that Disney shouldn't put its employees in the position of having to be sexually harassed as part of their job, and if that's what is happening and Disney can't/won't address the guest behavior, then Disney's response shouldn't be to design a costume that is no longer true to the character.

ABQ

Does Ariel still appear as a mermaid in the Grotto, fins and seashells, or will she go human form now? If this change in Jasmine is truly due to creepy guests as meet and greets, that is?

The Empress Lilly

I hope my post didn't come off as "Jasmine-blaming," because I didn't mean it that way -- what I was trying to say (poorly) is that Disney shouldn't put its employees in the position of having to be sexually harassed as part of their job, and if that's what is happening and Disney can't/won't address the guest behavior, then Disney's response shouldn't be to design a costume that is no longer true to the character.
Sorry, wasn't aimed at you! I assumed we both loathe the boorish men who are ultimately responsible for this sort of travesty.

The_Jobu

This whole thing sounds a little bananas to me. I still haven't read any definitive examples of Jasmines being harassed that aren't just based totally on conjecture. But even if it is true, the logic behind this is baffling:

"Hey boss, news is there's an epidemic of creepers getting to second base with Jasmine"
"Well what's Aladdin doing, we gave him a sword didn't we?"
"Uh, yeah... anyway, I'm guessing we start with lifetime bans and then proceed to pressing charges for more serious cases. Should stamp this out pretty quick."
"Hmmm, no. That makes TOO much sense, the perverts will be expecting it. No, what we'll do is cover her from head to toe in the cheapest, frumpiest outfit we can make! Perfect!"
"Umm boss, I dont se-"
"And mess around with her wig too!"

epcotWSC

I certainly understand the concerns over modesty and/or the mistreatment of young women wearing the original outfit. Jasmine is a sexy young woman (she can't help it -- like Jessica Rabbit, she was "drawn that way") and although it's not a costumed character actress's fault if men act boorishly around her, by the same token a Disney employee shouldn't have to endure it if it can be prevented with an attractive, more modest outfit that is still true to the character. My issue is with the ugliness and unrecognizability (is that a word?) of the new Jasmine costume. If Disney was going to do a redesign, why invent something out of whole cloth (pardon the pun)? As other posters (sorry, I didn't read every page, but I know this was mentioned) pointed out, Jasmine has some beautiful, more modest options that are part of her "canon wardrobe" in the film and follow-up cartoons -- not to mention, there's no reason the original costume couldn't have been redesigned to offer greater coverage. If Disney can design an age-appropriate and character-resembling Jasmine costume for toddlers, it can certainly design one for a grown woman. (The artwork is from DeviantArt, by artist LadyAquanine73551.)

princess_jasmine__s_wardrobe_by_ladyaquanine73551-d58noe4.jpg
If you want to go more modest, but classy, go with the top right one. This new one looks awful.

GiveMeTheMusic

Does Ariel still appear as a mermaid in the Grotto, fins and seashells, or will she go human form now? If this change in Jasmine is truly due to creepy guests as meet and greets, that is?

The Jasmine change had nothing to do with guest harassment. This was a case of uppity theme park execs and designers who think they know better than legendary Disney animators like Mark Henn and trying to out-PC each other and "correct" the look of the character.

Hey park execs and costume designers: your job is to bring movie characters to life faithfully, not to redesign them to fit your bizarre PC whims.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I had heard that it was in response to a few complaints about how inappropriate the outfit was . True or not idk . just putting it out there

SorcererMC

It's my theory is that the big part of the reason this costume change was done to advertise the kid costume. They just get to toute themselves being culturally sensitive and protecting the actors as an excuse.

I had heard that it was in response to a few complaints about how inappropriate the outfit was

I think that these two are related - I think that parents don't want their daughters emulating a scantily clad Jasmine as a role model. Cultural norms have changed since 1992 when Aladdin was released. There is a backlash against 'princess culture' and the makeovers are an attempt to 'modernize' them for today's audience, i.e., to be culturally sensitive to our society's perception of what is appropriate for girls and therefore sell more costumes/merch. (It's a line they have to walk - recall the opening scene in Enchanted where he gives his daughter the book on Curie, or the Disney channel commercials where the actresses are talking about the princess traits they admire, not their looks).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom