It's the Tourists...

ToTBellHop

But over five years with a turn around of 2 years between 100 Mil attractions, that's only a net loss of 60 Mil.
2 years? Please. We need a new E-Ticket at the Magic Kingdom every 7.3 months, and I expect the next new E-Ticket will exactly make up for the tremendous capacity loss from 20K closing--that's right, I want to see a return of the Main Street Vehicles!

CarlHS

Original Poster
You're right, but the WDW leadership is determined to bring either 1 solid E-ticket or a few D-tickets into the park to make sure it doesn't stagnate. The philosophy is, "If you're not moving, you're dead."

Glad to hear it. My point all along. To be honest, I'm not looking for a totally new E-Ticket 'expanding' the park beyond it's current state. I think the sub site should be rennovated to the E-Ticket status Walt concieved for it right from the start. With a non sub, high capacity ride.

This might shock some WDW members, but I'm not terribly nostalgic about the subs for the same reason. Honestly, was the ride really that great? No. Mr. Toad and Alien Encounter were much better attractions that never should have been axed. (But Pooh is one of my favorite dark rides at the American Disney parks.).

Agreed. MK does not need a low capacity ride. bring back AE!

They were blue-sky projects, tossed around but never completely planned, as opposed to "Beastly Kingdomme" at AK, which has fully finished models sitting in a warehouse. WDI did test heights with balloons in Adventureland, but hardly anyone knows for certain why the tests were conducted.

They were on the radar long enough for Disney to spend money on conceptual design (aka blue sky). I'm sure so preliminaly costing models were done as well. Too bad, IoA didn't have more of a draw...

The balloon tests was for Fire-Bald-Fuji-Matterhorn a 399' mountain combining all three concepts and having 3 rides systems scurrying through, one of which would circle the entire park. There was to be a bullet train (monorail) station taking you to MGM and AK as well as the Orlando airport. In winter artificial snow would allow skiing with the Yeti living character initative...... LOL

CarlHS

Original Poster
But over five years with a turn around of 2 years between 100 Mil attractions, that's only a net loss of 60 Mil.

Late night typo / math skills kicking in, please pardon the error....

$200 per guest times 1,000,000 is $200,000,000 giving you a 1 year ROI which Everest more than achieved......

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The Main Street vehicles reminded me of something...

How come we don't care that the Walt Disney Story closed on Main Street? It had - i think - two theaters and a huge capacity. If that's not an ideal way to absorb crowds, i don't know what is.

You'd literally removed like a 1000 people from Main Street (easily the most crowded part of the park) by having them in the queue or in one of the two theaters. A little reworking and it could unload down a hall and pop out between the Plaza Inn and Tomorrowland Terrace, thus preventing major backups and getting folks into that dead corner of the park.

Why didn't Yee mention that? Oh, that's right.. i forgot.. he is from California and barely knows WDW. He only has about the same experience with the place as the regular tourist from Nebraska, yet puts on that he knows its inner workings.

He goes less often (now that he lives in FL) then several members of this forums - has NEVER worked there, unlike several members of this forum, and yet people insist he understands it better then several members of this forum.

Peeps, do yourself a favor - stop listening to Yee.

CSUFSteve

...and there's nothing wrong with spreading attraction out to the various WDW theme parks to complete the Guest's experience.

Yup, and I think DMGM needs the most serious help. Except for ToT, GMR, and RnR, there's nothing I *need* to ride there. I think DMGM has some great table service so I usually spend a morning, have lunch, and then I'm out.

And slate of attractions-wise, I think MK is in good shape. Being a frequent visitor of both MK and Disneyland, it's interesting to see that they really do target different (but intersecting) segments. Definitely two different energies. Anyway, it was nice to see that Pirates finally got some updated figures along with the Depp package, and I'm sure Mansion will too. The quality of figures in those attractions, since they use so much AA, was particularly sad compared to DL. If Internet rumors are to be believed, DL Mansion will get all of the delta MK effects except, obviously, for the "exclusive to MK" scene.

This might shock some WDW members, but I'm not terribly nostalgic about the subs for the same reason. Honestly, was the ride really that great? No. Mr. Toad and Alien Encounter were much better attractions that never should have been axed. (But Pooh is one of my favorite dark rides at the American Disney parks.)

I definitely agree about AE. Toad... well, I think our Toad was vastly superior to MK's Toad so I wasn't emotionally impacted like WDW locals were when it was removed. That said, MK's Pooh is vastly superior to ours for sure. But neither State-side Pooh's compare at all to Tokyo's. That was the 1st one I rode and, frankly, completely could care less about either of our Pooh's. Wow, taken out context................ :)

Subs? Yeah, I didn't miss either Park's subs. I like Nemo well enough but I'm still a purist and believe Tomorrowland should be, oh I dunno, about Tomorrowland. I used to love MK's Tomorrowland - it's sad to see it going downhill just like Disneyland's. Our land makes no sense at all anymore. On the one hand we have Innoventions, Space, and Star Tours; on the other hand we have Buzz, Nemo, and HISTA. At least Tony is back and we're all hopeful he'll put it back in shape after the more immediate Disneyland projects.

CarlHS

Original Poster
2 years? Please. We need a new E-Ticket at the Magic Kingdom every 7.3 months, and I expect the next new E-Ticket will exactly make up for the tremendous capacity loss from 20K closing--that's right, I want to see a return of the Main Street Vehicles!

Cute strategy, double posting to try to put words is someone else mouth. Or are your split personalities in turmoil? One personality wants "an E-Ticket or 2 D-Tickets in a few years”, one wants “No more E-Tickets”, one thinks “MK is good enough”, one says it will be “Horrible” if MK adds a new E-Ticket.

ToTBellHop

Cute strategy, double posting to try to put words is someone else mouth. Or are your split personalities in turmoil? One personality wants "an E-Ticket or 2 D-Tickets in a few years”, one wants “No more E-Tickets”, one thinks “MK is good enough”, one says it will be “Horrible” if MK adds a new E-Ticket.
you clearly do not understand sarcasm. 12th birthday coming up soon?

CSUFSteve

Peeps, do yourself a favor - stop listening to Yee.

Yeah, that whole article just cracked me up. Especially this:

"That begs the question: just what do tourists care about when they visit WDW? And in what order should those items be placed? The following is my (subjective) list of what visitors want, placed in order of importance."

As though Yee KNOWS what "tourists care about." His whole article then proceeded to a complete Disney-geek view of things. I'm a Disney-geek too, but I also don't pretend to say that I'm speaking for the average guest. Sometimes it floors me what average guests do care about when I ask non-Disney friends, coworkers, etc, their opinions about this or that.

I remember showing a video clip I made of Disneyland Paris to some friends at work. And they actually asked me if that was Disneyland in California. I was like, "Dude, look at the castle - does that LOOK like Disneyland's castle??" They honestly didn't know.

CarlHS

Original Poster
The Main Street vehicles reminded me of something...

How come we don't care that the Walt Disney Story closed on Main Street? It had - i think - two theaters and a huge capacity. If that's not an ideal way to absorb crowds, i don't know what is.

You'd literally removed like a 1000 people from Main Street (easily the most crowded part of the park) by having them in the queue or in one of the two theaters. A little reworking and it could unload down a hall and pop out between the Plaza Inn and Tomorrowland Terrace, thus preventing major backups and getting folks into that dead corner of the park. quote]

There are so many things deleted from MK without replacement or upgrade, it’s all quite disappointing.

I suggest one ride to replace one of the lost 6+ attractions and I get my head bitten off (and accused of wanting to add a dozen attractions in 2 two years). It’s no wonder MK keeps closing things without replacement, it seems to be what the attendees want.

Do people keep showing up? - YES
Should Disney keep trimming the fat since no one’s looking? I think not!
Walt always believed in giving them more (not less), but this thinking is becoming heretic around here.

Merf, comments not directed at you personally...

CarlHS

Original Poster
Hey, new concepts for everyone, especially Jimbo.

SARCASM WARNING: What you are about to read is sarcasm. Do NOT take literally (unless of course you are WDW park management, in which case, you should submit these ideas to Burbank as if they were your own)!

Jungle Cruise attendance is down and it costs a lot to operate, plus it is leaking into the Subterranean Cast Member Locker and Shower Room with Health Food Center and Laundry Exchange Facility sometimes referred to as the Bat Cave (StCMLaSRwHFCaLEFsrtatBC, whew!) hidden below. Why don't we close it down and replace it with a Ratatouille playground with oversize cups and dishes and garbage cans brimming with stinky smelling cheese, so the visitors can run around like the little rats they are. We can call it Garbage Can Mountain.

MK could save up enough money with this plan in 3 to 5 years so it can finally afford to take down those unused skyway stations.

Oh, Wow, a second new idea comes to mind, CoP just no longer draws a crowd either, and the spinning room is unsafe, better to close it. We can save a tone of cash too, those pesky visitors won't even notice, and nobody listens to those 37 whacko’s on the net, who see what the man behind the curtain is doing.

Wait, a third concept emerges, that castle thing in the middle of the park is lame, and it will block the view of Garbage Mountain. Let’s cut off the towers and stick them next to IaSM. We can then claim we renovated it. While were at it, let/s remove a dozen boats and delete 3 rooms since it’s way too long to keep the attention span of these rubes anyway.

More hot ideas on the way!

Enderikari

SARCASM WARNING:

Here's an internet tip for you, if you have to add this disclaimer before the sarcasm, then:

werewrong.jpg

celticdog

Jungle Cruise attendance is down and it costs a lot to operate, plus it is leaking into the Subterranean Cast Member Locker and Shower Room with Health Food Center and Laundry Exchange Facility sometimes referred to as the Bat Cave (StCMLaSRwHFCaLEFsrtatBC, whew!) hidden below. Why don't we close it down and replace it with a Ratatouille playground with oversize cups and dishes and garbage cans brimming with stinky smelling cheese, so the visitors can run around like the little rats they are. We can call it Garbage Can Mountain

You're on to something. Bring back the old Skyway, however, run the cable and the towers west to the landfill. It's already to go. All the items for fun are already there. Use the queue at the Jungle Cruise, just some minor re-theming is needed. It's a pretty good distance away, so it would easily hold up a lot of people.

dandaman

CarlHS said:
I respectfully disagree.

You’ve stuck to none of your points! Here you are changing your tune again. So I guess you’re admitting they should get started pretty soon on “Mount Jimbo, Journey into Inconsistency”.

Temper, Temper there Jimbo, sounds like you’re going to pop a blood vessel.

...Well, you've certainly mastered the disagreement part, at least. :shrug:

Uh... yeah... fix up what needs afixin' n' such. Show of hands: anyone go to the park for enjoyment these days? Anyone?

:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom