It's official: Wand is GONE !!!!

Champion

Those two are part of the same "era" that brought us Scar narrating SSE, test track, and mission space.

Soarin cannot be viewed as spirit of classic epcot because its a clone? When was this rule established?

The original Epcot Center had/almost had clones...Captain EO was a clone of a disneyland tomorrowland attraction (as was the 3D show before it) and we were supposed to get "meet the world" a clone of a Tokyo Disneyland attraction but something happened and construction was halted. World of Motion was based on the Ford Freeway ride from Disney's new york world fair exhibit.

The point is if a ride fits the theme of epcot then by all means go for it. Soarin's queue features educational information about conservation and the various regions of our world and the ride showcases the beauty of various landbased environments so it fits the theme of the pavillion and the spirit of Epcot. Plus its superior to that garbage food rocks to boot.

If Disney cloned the TDS ride Stormrider and put it in a weatherpavillion that would be FINE....if they "cloned" adventures through inner space that would be fine (although unwanted). We want good rides that fit the theme of Epcot Center...Science, Discovery, Innovation, Exploration, Futurism...we dont want movie tie-ins like Honey this got old back in the 90s! and finding nemo 2:lost in sea base alpha

Are you seriously calling Captain EO a classic attraction?

Soarin is a GREAT attraction. Don't get me wrong. I love it. But you can't call it an 'EPCOT' attraction when its from DCA.

Test Track ... I thought TT was one of those things that destroyed EPCOT by removing WoM? Are we going to change that argument now? Its also my least favorite attraction on property, so I won't admit that it fits ANY theme, and I wish a sinkhole would open so it would have to close, ala Horizons. But I can say that it is the least educational pavilion to me. It was hardly impressive when it opened, and its far less now.

M:S is edutaining, but it was really the first attraction that a large portion of people could not experience at Epcot. That means it didn't have the same 'spirit' as the other attractions.

Luckily, everyone underestimated Bob Iger and the tables have been turned.

Interception...now my team has the ball

Lasseter and Jobs are running the show, not Iger. He's still a puppet, just not Eisner's. Which is worse? Time will tell.

CaribbeanGreen

Test Track ... I thought TT was one of those things that destroyed EPCOT by removing WoM? Are we going to change that argument now? Its also my least favorite attraction on property, so I won't admit that it fits ANY theme, and I wish a sinkhole would open so it would have to close, ala Horizons. But I can say that it is the least educational pavilion to me. It was hardly impressive when it opened, and its far less now.

Champion, I'd be curious to hear your opinion on T:T and why it lacks as an attraction at Epcot. It seems to be a pretty hot button attraction as far as people feeling strongly one way or the other, and I'm interested as to what puts you strongly in the "nay" camp.

MickeyJman06

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...cot070507,0,46286.story?coll=orl_tab01_layout

Mickey arm, wand coming down from Spaceship sphere
Scott Powers

Sentinel Staff Writer

11:13 AM EDT, July 5, 2007

The 257-foot-tall Mickey Mouse arm, glove and wand logo structure at Epcot is coming down.

Epcot Vice President Jim MacPhee announced this morning that the time has come to remove the structure, which has served both as a colorful, lighted Epcot sign since 2000, and as a lightning rod for criticism from Epcot purists who contended the image was out of character for Epcot's architecture.

The structure leans on Epcot's previous and future iconic figure, the Spaceship Earth Pavilion, a180-foot geodesic sphere that can be seen for miles.

The arm and glove went up for Walt Disney World's 2000 millennium celebration.

Now, however, with but with Epcot's 25th anniversary this fall, and the temporary closing of Spaceship Earth ride, MacPhee said, "We think the timing of the removal is right."

Deconstruction of the 50-ton structure begins Monday, and will be completed shortly before the park's 25th anniversary, October 1. Also coming down are the 36-foot-high "Epcot" letters and colored stars splashing across the sphere.

Also Monday, the Spaceship Earth ride will close to complete a refurbishing sponsored by Siemans AG. The work should be done by November, MacPhee said
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

SDav10495

And again, if thats the argument everyone stuck to, then it would be 100% fine with me.

But its not.

After reading through the whole thread, and being at times as perplexed as you are about some posters' over-the-top expressions of joy, I'm still compelled to ask...why should we care whether or not it's "100% fine" with you any more than you care about why people are so thrilled with the news? This isn't a "let people be happy" post; I just think you're really going after a non-issue.

Though I understand what you're trying to say, step back for a second and review what you've added to the thread so far...different people gave different reasons for wanting the wand down, yes, but I fail to see how it matters at all who is really "right" about Epcot's future. It was fine for your first post, maybe your second--it was your unique "thesis" and it added another level of discussion to this one-note thread. But after a while, amid your ceaseless attempts to back that thesis up, it got to the point where it was really nothing to argue. It's true that some people wanted the wand down to improve Epcot's aesthetics. It's also true that some wanted it down to bring back Epcot's original theme. And...that's it, really. Whether or not the latter will actually happen makes for some interesting discussion, but I hardly see how one can say "it's never going to happen and I'm not 100% fine until everybody acknowledges that." It's fine to observe once or twice that the wand's removal is unlikely to change the park's content, but to keep going after it as if it's a real argument? Come on. You say you just don't want people to be "disappointed" when there's no great and awesome second coming of EPCOT Center. But after all these posts it seems like you're just searching for something to shoot down.

Not that I'm always a cheerleader of yours, but in the past you have at least challenged general opinion in a more or less substantive way. I gotta say, though, I'm not sure there's much to this "issue" you're tackling here... :shrug:

Enigma

Account Suspended
Are you seriously calling Captain EO a classic attraction?

Soarin is a GREAT attraction. Don't get me wrong. I love it. But you can't call it an 'EPCOT' attraction when its from DCA.

What do you mean I can't? there is no rule that states such. Like I said if they cloned Stormrider from Tokyo Disneysea that would fit fine and be an "Epcot" attraction. "Epcot attraction" just refers to a certain style of attraction.

wait what?? I would never in my life say TT is a good attraction where did you read me saying that? All I said is that its from the same era that brought us Journey and Ellen...an era which is entering its twilight now. TT sucks and World of Motion was a far superior attraction. They would have been smarter to make Test Track a second attraction in the pavillion and update WOM with new scenes and special effects instead of going the cheap route.

M:S is edutaining, but it was really the first attraction that a large portion of people could not experience at Epcot. That means it didn't have the same 'spirit' as the other attractions.

your right...but like I said its in that same late 90s/early 00s era of attractions that were just poorly concieved from the getgo.

Lasseter and Jobs are running the show, not Iger. He's still a puppet, just not Eisner's. Which is worse? Time will tell.

You make this sound like its a bad thing. Micheal Eisner was a money hungry idiot. He was a bigmouth with very few good ideas...after Frank Wells died and Katzenberg left quality literally sank almost instantly at disney...eisner lucked out by making a deal with rising star pixar which tehy used as a lifesupport system along with cheap disney sequels.

John Lasseter is a disney geek at heart and hes smart too. He directed some of the most popular and beloved films of all time but he holds no bias. This guy is a straight up nerd who likes everything from japenese anime to classic disney to theme parks, etc. etc. He is a nerd who was lucky enough to get into the big leagues and now he has a chance to really turn the Walt Disney company around and restore alot of the luster and prestige it has lost over the years.

and Steve Jobs? the man is a modern visionary. A national treasure. No wonder the Iphone has taken off and Ratatouille is one of their best movies to date...this guy knows quality and knows how to market the hell out of a quality product. He is a scientist, an inventor, and a smart businessman very much like Walt Disney himself. It is an honor for Disney to have him on the Board of Directors.

These guys are still in business to make money but they are going to make products that will appeal to everyone from disney geeks to the average consumer and the products are going to be real disney quality.

Enderikari

I think Champ is being a little on the "let's calm down side" on purpose to temper those that theorize this the equivalent of curing world hunger or the end of the Iraq war.

In the words of my heroes, Scruffy...
Second

scruffy.jpg

or, in internet speak, QFT.

Ghostbuster626 said:
Its a sign that Disney leaders like John Lasseter and Jim Mcphee really understand what this company's legacy is all about and are working towards bringing back the magic. Epcot Center shouldn't be boring but it shouldnt be packed to the hilt with barebone thrillrides and cheap cartoon tie-ins either....a balance of AA heavy family attractions and immersive e-tickets that leave lasting impressions on us...that is the park that Epcot Center should be.
It didn't take much to start the internet fan-boys from declaring that Jim MacPhee is the savior of all Epcot-kind, did it? Just think in a couple of years, people will be lambasting him for some decision that he made (or didn't make) without consulting the board-going public first...

Well played Jim, and I hope for a bright future, but just remember, these board folks are quick to turn, fickle, and get vicious when they don't get exactly their way (re: LaL, the above-mentioned AA family attractions and immersive E-tickets)

Enigma

Account Suspended
Well played Jim, and I hope for a bright future, but just remember, these board folks are quick to turn, fickle, and get vicious when they don't get exactly their way (re: LaL, the above-mentioned AA family attractions and immersive E-tickets)

Well you won't see me turning on Macphee just like I never turned on Matt Ouimet when he ran Disneyland. Anyone who is willing to speak up and push for the removal of the wand...then go and try to get the marketing department to throw together an Epcot 25th. anniversary (which won't happen even though he tried) has my respect.

Enderikari

Well you won't see me turning on Macphee just like I never turned on Matt Ouimet when he ran Disneyland. Anyone who is willing to speak up and push for the removal of the wand...then go and try to get the marketing department to throw together an Epcot 25th. anniversary (which won't happen even though he tried) has my respect.

for now....

BuzzComplexCM

Yes we have a Disney World.

But why not be hoping for a Disney World in the same league as Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySeas?

We have some of that in Epcot and a lot of that in AK.

Appreciating the present doesn't prevent a desire for improvement in the future.

They're not mutually exclusive.

:)

I totally agree with you. However, I disagree with the people who complain that there are no changes. Then when a change finally happens, all they do is complain about how it's, "Not what they would have done, wanted, or thought it would be."

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Kari -

Every single news article about the wand coming down (which due to the popularity in Orlando, is being spread across the affiliates) mentions Epcot's 25th. Someone carefully planned that trump move - and is winning.

PigletIsMyCat

I totally agree with you. However I disagree with the people who complain that there are no changes and then when a change finally happens, all they do is complain about how it's, "Not what they would have done, wanted, or thought it would be."

You summed up this thread (minus it's celebratory :sohappy: s) in one sentence. Sort of a long sentence, sure, but still one very well worded sentence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom