It's official: Wand is GONE !!!!

Enigma

Account Suspended
While you may think thats how it should be, thats not the direction it has been going. Removing the wand isn't going to change that. And McPhee and Lasseter aren't going to either. They are going to keep going the direction that brings in the most guests, and thats the same way the park is going.

Well let me assure you that rides like Ellen's Energy Adventure and Journey into your imagination aren't bringing in many guests...in fact Mission:Space isn't very popular either.

Soarin' fits the theme of the original Epcot and, like the removal of the wand, is another step in the right direction. Hopefully a retooling of Journey into imagination is next. [/quote]

No, it is Epcot. Get out of the past.

Epcot? your still living in the late 90s/early 00s that name is stale and boring. Its no longer HIP. They will rebrand the park again...I believe there new electronic billboards are already reading EPCOT and the classic Epcot Center logo will be featured promenently in the redone enterance to the park thats coming later this year.

Nana birdie

Champion - I was the CM who said I had worked at Siemens one afternoon and was told about the wand coming down. I reported it on this thread and you sarcastically said, "I thought Siemens had their own employees?". Yes, they have 6 full-time employees but they use a lot of Disney CMs and yes, we do hear things when we are working. I know CMs don't always get things right but we try. Try to be positive in the future when news is shared with you. We all love Epcot and Disney - let's enjoy the "tidbits" we learn along the way. Don't put us down for sharing what we hear.

Champion

Well let me assure you that rides like Ellen's Energy Adventure and Journey into your imagination aren't bringing in many guests...in fact Mission:Space isn't very popular either.

Soarin' fits the theme of the original Epcot and, like the removal of the wand, is another step in the right direction. Hopefully a retooling of Journey into imagination is next.

Both of those first two are OLD attractions, and as such would not be the catalyst for the upswing in Epcot attendance. M:S, as a thrill ride, is not for everyone, and thus is not in the spirit of classic EPCOT. Soarin is a transplanted attraction and also cannot be viewed as an EPCOT attraction because of that.

Epcot? your still living in the late 90s/early 00s that name is stale and boring. Its no longer HIP. They will rebrand the park again...I believe there new electronic billboards are already reading EPCOT and the classic Epcot Center logo will be featured promenently in the redone enterance to the park thats coming later this year.

Nope.

jiminy.cricket

Because if they REALLY think this is some kind of watershed moment, they should probably reconsider their reasons for being a Disney fan.

I mean, can any Disney fan really think that the wand coming down is going to influence their trip more than the attention that the Haunted Mansion is getting?

Ah, the beauty of lowered expectations! :)

lentesta

Premium Member
"Epcot purists?" Hardly. Anyone with any sense of architecture or design considered it an abomination. I'm glad to see it go. Can't wait to see it sold on MouseSurplus.

Champion

"Epcot purists?" Hardly. Anyone with any sense of architecture or design considered it an abomination. I'm glad to see it go. Can't wait to see it sold on MouseSurplus.

And again, if thats the argument everyone stuck to, then it would be 100% fine with me.

But its not.

PigletIsMyCat

Yet removing the wand is a step in the right direction. Its a sign that Disney leaders like John Lasseter and Jim Mcphee really understand what this company's legacy is all about and are working towards bringing back the magic. Epcot Center shouldn't be boring but it shouldnt be packed to the hilt with barebone thrillrides and cheap cartoon tie-ins either....a balance of AA heavy family attractions and immersive e-tickets that leave lasting impressions on us...that is the park that Epcot Center should be.

From what I understand, the wand was originally a temporary structure. How is it a sign that the Disney suits are bringing Epcot back to it's 'original intended purpose'? And, it's still Epcot, not Epcot Center....

I feel like people are taking this waaaay too seriously and statements are getting blown out of proportion and taken out of context. Be happy or be sad, but don't assume that any one of us knows what is best for Epcot. We only know what WE think it best for Epcot.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Both of those first two are OLD attractions, and as such would not be the catalyst for the upswing in Epcot attendance. M:S, as a thrill ride, is not for everyone, and thus is not in the spirit of classic EPCOT. Soarin is a transplanted attraction and also cannot be viewed as an EPCOT attraction because of that.

Those two are part of the same "era" that brought us Scar narrating SSE, test track, and mission space.

Soarin cannot be viewed as spirit of classic epcot because its a clone? When was this rule established?

The original Epcot Center had/almost had clones...Captain EO was a clone of a disneyland tomorrowland attraction (as was the 3D show before it) and we were supposed to get "meet the world" a clone of a Tokyo Disneyland attraction but something happened and construction was halted. World of Motion was based on the Ford Freeway ride from Disney's new york world fair exhibit.

The point is if a ride fits the theme of epcot then by all means go for it. Soarin's queue features educational information about conservation and the various regions of our world and the ride showcases the beauty of various landbased environments so it fits the theme of the pavillion and the spirit of Epcot. Plus its superior to that garbage food rocks to boot.

If Disney cloned the TDS ride Stormrider and put it in a weatherpavillion that would be FINE....if they "cloned" adventures through inner space that would be fine (although unwanted). We want good rides that fit the theme of Epcot Center...Science, Discovery, Innovation, Exploration, Futurism...we dont want movie tie-ins like Honey this got old back in the 90s! and finding nemo 2:lost in sea base alpha

Champion

From what I understand, the wand was originally a temporary structure. How is it a sign that the Disney suits are bringing Epcot back to it's 'original intended purpose'? And, it's still Epcot, not Epcot Center....

I feel like people are taking this waaaay too seriously and statements are getting blown out of proportion and taken out of context. Be happy or be sad, but don't assume that any one of us knows what is best for Epcot. We only know what WE think it best for Epcot.

Isn't whats best for Epcot for it to continue to draw in tons of guests and increase that every year?

Enigma

Account Suspended

Your understanding is wrong just ask Corrus.

The wand was budgeted until at least 2009 and probably indefinatly after that. This was all maped out during the Eisner regime and it was expected that Bob Iger would play eisner's dummy and just be more of the same.

Luckily, everyone underestimated Bob Iger and the tables have been turned.

Interception...now my team has the ball :sohappy:

jmvd20

According to the same person who correctly stated the wand is coming down months ago, it was originally planned to be up until at least 2009, and indefinitely after that. Therefore it was never planned to be a temporary structure.

Enigma

Account Suspended
According to the same person who correctly stated the wand is coming down months ago, it was originally planned to be up until at least 2009, and indefinitely after that. Therefore it was never planned to be a temporary structure.

I just said that dude but thanks for backing me up :wave:

PigletIsMyCat

Isn't whats best for Epcot for it to continue to draw in tons of guests and increase that every year?

More or less. WDW is a business... I'm sure this has been gone over before. :ROFLOL:

And the percentage of guests that care about the wand is probably not terribly high. I worked in a position at WDW where I interacted with guests, asking questions that included, more or less, questions like 'What do YOU think is wrong with this park?' and 'What would YOU do to change this park?' and I never once had anyone mention the wand. I'm not saying I'm a perfect representation of every guest, but I think that it's fair to say that the average guest is more concerned with ticket prices, safety, and entertainment than the wand. Even those of us who hate the hell out of the wand and are praising this as the best day in history still patronize Epcot. Taking down the wand will more than likely not affect guest counts.

jmvd20

I just said that dude but thanks for backing me up :wave:

Yep, ya beat me to it by less than a minute. :lookaroun

In the middle of typing what I wrote I had to check the other place as I didn't want to mis-quote what he said. If it wasn't for my double checking I would have gotten it first... :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom