It's official: Wand is GONE !!!!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Jeez, don't check the boards for a day and all the sudden there are 18 pages about the wand coming down. Quite the hot button issue. I have to say I'm excited, but will this really take them until October to get the wand down?

They said mid-September i think.

On the Orlando Sentinel's website, it's front and center on the front page and there is a poll, "should it stay or go" . :lol: 547 responses. 41.9% "should go" , 40% "leave it!" , 18% "who cares"

EpcotServo

Man, I was doing some thinkin' and found out that the last time I DIDN'T see the wand, I was only 8 years old. It's gonna' be great seeing it again.
:D

CThaddeus

Possibly.

But that isn't 'fixing the spirit of EPCOT' or 'bringing back EPCOT Center' or restoring the old themes of the park or whatever other garbage has been spewed about the wands removal over the years.

The full sphere lighting is pretty cool, that I can agree with. But the other stuff? Pure garbage.

Sorry, but it is a step in the right direction. Someone somewhere seems to finally have realized that there are problems with the Park, and a good first step is to eliminate the Big Dummy Stick that smacks you over the head with, "HEY, YOU'RE IN Epcot!" If I wanted to be treated like an idiot, I'd go to the state fair.
You're right - it's not the ultimate change that's going to make Epcot into EPCOT again. I don't think anyone thinks that. But, to many of us, it is a hopeful sign that perhaps things might start swinging that way again, and that asthetic beauty and forward thinking can take the place of Vegas gaudy and cheap fix. There's much to do at Epcot to return it to its former glory, but this shows something that I originally believed the place was all about...and that's progress. May the century begin!

Congrats to all of you who actually thought this was a big deal.

I still maintain that once its down, a good percentage of you will go 'Wow, that didn't change anything.'
Thinking its gaudy and takes away from the architecture is one thing. Thinking it symbolizes something 'against the spirit of EPCOT' is another.

Nope...sorry. It made me uncomfortable when it went up and there is no scale or gauge in the world that can measure my happiness right now. There is only one Disney thing that could top this (bringing back Horizons) and that's never going to happen! Goodbye wand! I will be there on Oct. 1...in EPCOT Center. See you soon wandless Spaceship Earth!!! Welcome back. We missed you!

Champion

Sorry, but it is a step in the right direction. Someone somewhere seems to finally have realized that there are problems with the Park, and a good first step is to eliminate the Big Dummy Stick that smacks you over the head with, "HEY, YOU'RE IN Epcot!" If I wanted to be treated like an idiot, I'd go to the state fair.
You're right - it's not the ultimate change that's going to make Epcot into EPCOT again. I don't think anyone thinks that. But, to many of us, it is a hopeful sign that perhaps things might start swinging that way again, and that asthetic beauty and forward thinking can take the place of Vegas gaudy and cheap fix. There's much to do at Epcot to return it to its former glory, but this shows something that I originally believed the place was all about...and that's progress. May the century begin!

If you are expecting a return to EPCOT Center, you will ALWAYS be disappointed. What would you consider the last EPCOT type attraction? Certainly not The Seas w/ Nemo, not Soarin, not the 3 Cabs overlay, not M:S and TT (too much focus on thrills to be considered.) Are you expecting the refurbished SSE attraction to really break that streak? Its not going to happen. The changes will be about more entertainment, not more education.

I've always maintained that if you're reading this message board, the wand wasn't there for you. It was always there for those who didn't realize EPCOT was a Disney park. And there are many people who don't know that.

I will never understand why the people who purport to be 'fans' of EPCOT want the park to go BACKWARDS in terms of attendance and overall enjoyment by its guests.

Nope...sorry. It made me uncomfortable when it went up and there is no scale or gauge in the world that can measure my happiness right now. There is only one Disney thing that could top this (bringing back Horizons) and that's never going to happen! Goodbye wand! I will be there on Oct. 1...in EPCOT Center. See you soon wandless Spaceship Earth!!! Welcome back. We missed you!

So you're saying that taking down the wand is better than opening ANY possible attraction or theme park or basically anything? Except for Horizons, of course. Thats just ... odd.

plpeters70

Can I just say to everyone who feels the need to make negative, snarky comments about the people celebrating the Wand's demise - could you please just take a step back and think about what you're saying??

You're posting on a DISNEY website about how sad it is that people are getting excited about something changing at DISNEY. Umm, just the fact that you're reading this means you probably already have an unhealthy obsession with all things Disney, as do I, so it looks a little sad to be claiming that there is something wrong with other Disney fans just because they're happy about something that you're not. Might I suggest not reading Wand threads if the celebrating bothers you so much!!

Oh, and just one more time -- Hip, Hip, Hooray that the horrible eyesore next to Spaceship Earth is finally leaving!!!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Figments Friend

YES YES YES YES YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!1

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

I am SO having a "Wand Party" tonight to celebrate the fact that not only will this thing finally be GONE, but that it will be GONE for our fabulous 25th Anniversary Bash on Oct 1st!

Best Anniversary present EVER for EPCOT i think.

HOORAY!! I am absolutely estastic with GLEE!!!

WOO HOooooooo!!!!!!!

( does the Happy Dance)

KevinPage

Can I just say to everyone who feels the need to make negative, snarky comments about the people celebrating the Wand's demise - could you please just take a step back and think about what you're saying??

You're posting on a DISNEY website about how sad it is that people are getting excited about something changing at DISNEY. Umm, just the fact that you're reading this means you probably already have an unhealthy obsession with all things Disney, as do I, so it looks a little sad to be claiming that there is something wrong with other Disney fans just because they're happy about something that you're not. Might I suggest not reading Wand threads if the celebrating bothers you so much!!

Oh, and just one more time -- Hip, Hip, Hooray that the horrible eyesore next to Spaceship Earth is finally leaving!!!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Those of us making snarky comments are doing it in good fun, from what I can tell. Well, at least I know I am. I'm a ball buster by nature, so this is easy fodder to jump on. :ROFLOL:

And for the record: I liked THE WAND. Had no problem with it staying up. I have no problem with it being removed as that was the ORIGINAL way. In conclusion, I like the old way and the new way. Not everything old is good and not everything new is bad.

Then again, I'm not a REAL fan since I don't own an Epcot pen. :eek:

Champion

And it 'looks a little sad' to be saying 'we can celebrate and you can't say anything!'

Go ahead and celebrate, thats fine. If its really that big of a deal to you, go right ahead and crack open a beer.

But I'm just going to continue to state that this isn't going to change anything except the geosphere and its look, and the lighting. Thats all I'm saying, is that you are all overstating the change this actually is. And if you go back and read my posts, I was saying this months ago.

I'll say it again, I could care less whether its up or down. I know why it went up,and I respect that reason. But I'm not going to celebrate it coming down. I'd much rather celebrate something that actually makes a difference to my trip.

Testtrack321

Some notes (from an engineer in training):

-My guess is that small initial tear downs will happen until the crane comes. Removal of light bulbs, electronics, small pieces of equipment.
-It'll go dark ASAP at night
-Those stars will come off last, they'll work on that bad show of a wand first
-East SSE will most likely go down, along with a big wall around the entrance to SSE.

DDuckFan130

Those of us making snarky comments are doing it in good fun, from what I can tell. Well, at least I know I am. I'm a ball buster by nature, so this is easy fodder to jump on. :ROFLOL:

And for the record: I liked THE WAND. Had no problem with it staying up. I have no problem with it being removed as that was the ORIGINAL way. In conclusion, I like the old way and the new way. Not everything old is good and not everything new is bad.

Then again, I'm not a REAL fan since I don't own an Epcot pen. :eek:
Totally agree with the post and that's how I feel as well.

I do have an "unhealthy" obsession with Disney...but not in the same way you all do. I enjoy the parks for what they are and am in favor of change. Sure I miss Millionaire and other long-gone attractions, but I get over it. We all share our obsession with Disney, but it's obvious we love Disney for very different reasons :shrug:

plpeters70

But I'm just going to continue to state that this isn't going to change anything except the geosphere and its look, and the lighting. Thats all I'm saying, is that you are all overstating the change this actually is. And if you go back and read my posts, I was saying this months ago.

And I agree with you - it won't change anything. But it will make Spaceship Earth look better again - at least in my opinion.

But why rain on everyone's parade??? :shrug:

DDuckFan130

And I agree with you - it won't change anything. But it will make Spaceship Earth look better again - at least in my opinion.

But why rain on everyone's parade??? :shrug:
No biggie...I was doing all this in jest. I am glad so many of you are happy with the news. Unfortunately, I am indifferent so it doesn't really matter to me :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom