Is this really a thing or is it April 1ST? Cabanas in the parks.

Siren

Sure, crowd control is the driving factor for these tents. Even from you that's ridiculous. Which speaks volumes....
I did not say that crowd control was the driving factor. YES. Disney is so greedy. They just want profits. Blah. Blah. Blah. We seriously need to move past that.

I don't take 21 day holidays to Disney. We are commandos, we take one week out of the year, including travel days and spend one full day in each park. I refuse to waste hours waiting for shows and parades -- if there is a faster and more convenient alternative, I will explore it.

I can live without the tents. But, if they become permanent then I will consider taking a trip for July 4th, Christmas, New Years or Spring Break, etc.

Crowds are a problem. People stake their spot for the parades and fireworks hours in advance and all day during the holidays, as if their life depends upon it. So, when that careless or clueless person or group walks up at the last minute and stands right in front of them -- they get ballistic. LOL. So, the special reserved viewing areas are a huge perk.

You can't fault Disney for testing out a concept. I do find it odd for a theme park, especially Disney. And, it may or may not work. There is still a lot that we don't know. We'll see.

But, a poster here already confirmed that the tents were sold out over the weekend. So, clearly Disney has been able to identify and address a need among a certain sector of its guests. And, I don't believe they are all super wealthy or very sick. LOL.

It's not the end of the world. You can still enjoy Disney like you always have. This isn't hurting anyone.

Last edited:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I did not say that crowd control was the driving factor. YES. Disney is so greedy. They just want profits. Blah. Blah. Blah. We seriously need to move past that.

I don't take 21 day holidays to Disney. We are commandos, we take one week out of the year, including travel days and spend one full day in each park. I refuse to waste hours waiting for shows and parades -- if there is a faster and more convenient alternative, I will explore it.

I can live without the tents. But, if they become permanent then I will consider taking a trip for July 4th, Christmas, New Years or Spring Break, etc.

Crowds are a problem. People stake their spot for the parades and fireworks hours in advance and all day during the holidays, as if their life depends upon it. So, when that careless or clueless person or group walks up at the last minute and stands right in front of them -- they get ballistic. LOL. So, the special reserved viewing areas are a huge perk.

You can't fault Disney for testing out a concept. I do find it odd for a theme park, especially Disney. And, it may or may not work. There is still a lot that we don't know. We'll see.

But, a poster here already confirmed that the tents were sold out over the weekend. So, clearly Disney has been able to identify and address a need among a certain sector of its guests. And, I don't believe they are all super wealthy or very sick. LOL.

It's not the end of the world. You can still enjoy Disney like you always have. This isn't hurting anyone.
Never said TWDC was being greedy. Tacky, yes.

And I'm sure your CM discount will come in handy with the price tag on that canopy....

squidward

YES. Disney is so greedy. They just want profits. Blah. Blah. Blah. We seriously need to move past that.

I don't think we should move past it. I think we should hold Disney accountable. If we don't, what right do we have to complain?

Yet you don't mind wasting time sitting in a tent to go stake your spot for the fireworks? This isn't a faster method. Just the opposite. You're going to waste precious vacation time and countless attractions while kicking back in your tent all so you can get a "VIP Viewing Area".

I agree with that part. But seriously, if this is such a problem (and I agree, it can be), go 2-3 weeks earlier and experience the same exact shows without the crowds. Or, as I said earlier, do some research. I use the Unofficial Guide and Undercover Tourist, and don't wait in lines for more than 15-20 minutes.

No doubt they will sell out. Again, as I said earlier, Disney isn't stupid. They know there are guests who have money to throw away and almost relish the opportunity to do so.

Wrong. Those tents are, as has been said dozens of times, a hideous eye-sore and distraction from the show element. And again, it is continuing a disturbing trend Disney has been on for some time.

Bocabear

I have to agree... I don't mind the idea of cabanas at all..But not a tamporary tent...make a nice gazebo...the prices they are charging for one is more expensive than a suite at the Waldorf...Surely they can afford to make some lovely cabanas with decent amanities for that price....without destrying the ambience of the park...if it's in Tmorrowland, make it a sort of take off on a retro futurist hotel..a-la-jetsons...fun futuristic and relevant to theme... Maybe it's the Transit Hotel for Space Mountain intergalactic travelers...

BrerJon

I wonder if the people excited about the VIP viewing area has ever sat in one and realizes there are far better viewing areas in the park. And before you anyone says "Yeah, but I don't have to be in massive crowds", do some research. There are dozens of fantastic, uncrowded firework viewing locations inside (and outside) of the park. And it won't cost you $650.

I love watching the fireworks from in front of Beast's castle, you have pretty much the whole view to yourself, no crowds, and having fireworks going on in front and behind is really immersive and spectacular. That's better in my view than any of the 'VIP' viewing spots in the Hub.

BrerJon

You all have hit my biggest gripe - show and presentation. If Disney wants to offer these kinds of options, that's totally fine. The big sticking issue is that it needs to be presented with class and taste so that the overall experience and theme aren't compromised or tarnished.

The four Disney service keys used to be Safety, Courtesy, Show and Efficiency, in that order. Now it's Safety, Efficiency, Courtesy, Profit.

BrerJon

So the food menu *is* just Cosmic Rays, without the topping bar, after all. So you could walk two minutes and get the food how you like it and sit in the aircon restaurant, or do it this way and order from the cabana menu, sweat it out for 20 minutes in your boiling hot tent, then enjoy the cold Cosmic burger that eventually arrives while the flies buzz around as you eat.

Pure luxury.

MuteSuperstar

So the food menu *is* just Cosmic Rays, without the topping bar, after all. So you could walk two minutes and get the food how you like it and sit in the aircon restaurant, or do it this way and order from the cabana menu, sweat it out for 20 minutes in your boiling hot tent, then enjoy the cold Cosmic burger that eventually arrives while the flies buzz around as you eat.

Pure luxury.

Just comical. For 650 bucks they can't go down to the Plaza and actually get something that's palatable? Of course a burger from there would probably be 30 or 40 but hey money is clearly no object at this point for the tent VIP-ugees.

flynnibus

Premium Member

In fact it's hurting everyone, because the company is not solving the actual issues, but instead giving a few a way to buy their way out of the problem.... while the 99% still suffer through the original issue.

Study the phrase "everyone is a Vip"...

Disney didn't get to be who they were because they had creative sales offerings...

KikoKea

This would appeal to those of us who frequent Airport lounges like the Admirals Club... Just saying
And appeal to many who don't frequent the FF lounges in airports. I'm sure there would be quite a few people who would pay to use a lounge at the parks, which makes much more sense than tents that look out of place and cheap.

DznyRktekt

Repurposed..:eek:
upload_2016-11-27_21-2-0.png

NearTheEars

Road past them on the Peoplemover today. They aren't a pretty sight. I hope this test fails miserably. But if they do succeed, I hope the permanent structures are themed well to wherever they go. Heck, that would likely help drive sales for them.

21stamps

.right next to space mountain fast pass entrance is tucked back to you?
I was there today. I honestly totally forgot about them until I just logged on this site.

I didn't notice them. I couldn't even tell you where they are located, and we were in Tomorrowland quite a bit today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom