Is this really a thing or is it April 1ST? Cabanas in the parks.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
By the way, I hear the test is going....poorly.

CM friends saying that they are getting yelled at by guests when they tell them how much they cost.

That's not the definition of doing poorly. If the cabanas are sold out this weekend, then they're doing well.

If Victoria and Alberts were on the main thoroughfare in the MK, they'd be having guests yelling at the CMs when they heard the price, but V&A's would be doing just fine.

The answer to guests who can't afford it from yelling at them is to hide it better. Like the 33 Club.

TeriofTerror

(Shrugs) My initial thought was, "No way. Not if I had all the money in the world." Then I thought of my husband, who suffers from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. He often can't make it two hours in the parks, and the bus rides can be sheer misery in sensory overload for him. This would be wonderful for him, but there's no way we could afford it. So I guess if I had unlimited wealth I'd be interested, but it's never going to happen - or even be a wish list priority - in my current reality! ;)

Disneyhead'71

That's not the definition of doing poorly. If the cabanas are sold out this weekend, then they're doing well.

If Victoria and Alberts were on the main thoroughfare in the MK, they'd be having guests yelling at the CMs when they heard the price, but V&A's would be doing just fine.

The answer to guests who can't afford it from yelling at them is to hide it better. Like the 33 Club.
Are we sure they are all sold out this weekend?

21stamps

Not that I care at all, but, disposable income is something you have that, if spent, will not make anyone go without food or water or be left to die on the street because you don't have bus fare home to that cardboard refrigerator box. However, any amount of money that one has that can be spent over and above the need to survive is disposable income. Even shoes and purses might be considered clothing and accessories necessary to everyday life. So that wouldn't come under disposable anyway. Spending a single nickel in a theme park constitutes the use of either disposable income or what we individually define as disposable. If when you leave you are not in danger of not having anything to eat or a place to live meant that you spent disposable income. Then it just breaks down to how much disposable income you have. If you can throw out $650.00 for a tent, with no AC or fans in Florida, when you are in a park with air conditioned buildings, shows, rides and food right there, then my friend you are using your own money which might have been better spent on some psychological help. It just doesn't strike me as a place to spend money. But, what do I know. Enjoy. ;):)
The quote from me that he posted was from another thread. One which someone made a comment that they don't have kids yet. The difference between "disposable income" pre kids vs post kid's is typically quite substantial, and has definitely been for me.. I also followed up the lighthearted comment with a wink emoji. My fault for forgetting that this is not a place for any lighthearted comments whatsoever.

squidward

The quote from me that he posted was from another thread. One which someone made a comment that they don't have kids yet. The difference between "disposable income" pre kids vs post kid's is typically quite substantial, and has definitely been for me.. I also followed up the lighthearted comment with a wink emoji. My fault for forgetting that this is not a place for any lighthearted comments whatsoever.

I don't know the quote he's referring to, but clearly, kids or no kids, if you can afford to step into any theme park, you have at least some disposable income, by definition. If you can afford to flush $650 down the toilet for a tent in a theme park, you either have a substantial amount of disposable income or your priorities are out of whack.

rob0519

I don't agree with this concept and I cannot afford it. If I had truly throw away kind of money, I can see some value in it. We need to keep in mind that this test would not be happening if there were absolutely no interest in the concept. By running the test now, interest can be gauged and changes made for the upcoming hot season. The outside of the cabanas could be made to look different. They could figure out a way to use portable A/C units to cool the spaces and find a less obtrusive location. There are lots of possibilities, but for us long time return visitors, it's guaranteed WDW is changing and not necessarily in the best interest of the average family.

squidward

I read somewhere else that they will be air conditioned. It is reprehensible however that the wealthy will need to use public restrooms with the common folk.

Goofyernmost

Are we sure they are all sold out this weekend?
All two of them? With a crowd the size that show up in MK everyday, it doesn't seem like it would take much of a salesman to rent out two of them. They are going to profile anyway. You come into the park with a PB&J sandwich you probably aren't going to be approached to get one. It might work briefly but over time, if it stays the same, it will quickly lose favor especially when the heat returns. Proportionately though, the price makes no sense, mouse ears or not. Way to much money for the use that it will get unless the cost is split 3 or 4 ways. Then maybe.

alissafalco

This.

Sorry to insult those who plan on doing this, but the only reasons I see for doing this are:

1.You like to show off how much money you have.
2.You are incredibly lazy.
3.You have so much money to spend, you insist on spending it in the most ridiculous ways possible.

You are in, what many of us consider, the most fun, beautiful, magical, happiest theme park in the world and you choose to spend that time sitting inside a tent. Hell, forget paying $650 for this "add-on." You couldn't pay me $650 to do that. This is like paying for tickets to the Super Bowl, having seats on the 50 yard line, but deciding to spend even more money to sit a room upstairs so you can watch the game on TV.
I can think of one reason how this could be justified, and that's if someone In your party has some type of serious medical need. This could make things a lot easier for them, but that's the only reason I can think of.

Siren

LOL. Some of the reactions to this are so over the top and bizarre to me. Maybe, it's because this is an older community of people who are retired or are middle aged or something. It's not that serious to me.

akwlld.jpg

Anyway, Disney is simply borrowing concepts from the EDM crowd set -- Coachella, Tomorrowland, Electric Daisy, etc. And, they know who they are marketing this to.

Likewise, EDM borrows concepts from Disney like Magic Bands and their themes.

Coachella rents "Safari Tents" at $6500 for the weekend. Disney's tent is $650. Both offer VIP access and viewing to the shows.
14l65wp.jpg

bffcsx.jpg

dr5tnk.jpg

TomorrowLand/TomorrowWorld refers to their tent city as "Dreamville" and rent out "Easy Tents".
547m0h.jpg

rs4wgl.jpg

280319t.jpg

I like the concept because I have always wanted to visit Disney on Christmas, New Years Eve, and the 4th of July but avoid it because of the crowds. People get turned away when the park reaches capacity and you can't leave.

So, the tent is invaluable for me, especially with the exclusive viewing areas. It has nothing to do with showing off or being lazy because my fitbit clocks 10 to 15 miles a day at Disney. LOL.

2e5us6e.jpg

This is the super long line just to get in MK on Christmas.

154dbgg.jpg

Here is everyone all laid out in the hub. This is even more tacky than the tent.

KingdomCabanas-11262016-3.jpg

And, this will be me in my tent before I head over to my VIP viewing area for the fireworks. LOL. To each their own. Live & let live.

squidward

I wonder if the people excited about the VIP viewing area has ever sat in one and realizes there are far better viewing areas in the park. And before you anyone says "Yeah, but I don't have to be in massive crowds", do some research. There are dozens of fantastic, uncrowded firework viewing locations inside (and outside) of the park. And it won't cost you $650.

As for why people are upset about these, I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, they're a hideous eyesore. That and it is another example of how Disney is moving in the direction of becoming a destination for the wealthy only.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I wonder if the people excited about the VIP viewing area has ever sat in one and realizes there are far better viewing areas in the park. And before you anyone says "Yeah, but I don't have to be in massive crowds", do some research. There are dozens of fantastic, uncrowded firework viewing locations inside (and outside) of the park. And it won't cost you $650.

As for why people are upset about these, I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, they're a hideous eyesore. That and it is another example of how Disney is moving in the direction of becoming a destination for the wealthy only.

I don't like these cabanas at all, but looking at some of your recent posts, you seem a bit obsessed with rich people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom