Is this really a thing or is it April 1ST? Cabanas in the parks.

squidward

Fair enough.

That being said, we've stayed at the GF a couple times, the Poly a few. Some people consider that a waste of money. I'm not averse to spending a good amount of money at Disney. I've always thought Club Level was kind of a waste after we did it one time. But even that is a bargain compared to this.

But again, my main gripe is the locale of these things. Put them backstage somewhere, out of sight, and as I said earlier - Whatever. And if it moves forward, maybe they will. But where they are now, and how they look? Well, at the risk of sounding over dramatic, the Magic Kingdom is my favorite place in the world. And it's 107 acres (or 122, depending on what source you read). Put these things someplace else.

I'm sure most of us have heard the story about how Walt was furious walking through Tomorrowland at Disneyland and saw a worker from Frontierland in his cowboy uniform, and that was a huge reason for the Utilidors and backstage areas. Walt cared immensely about show. I can't imagine anything more out of show than these tents. Stuff like that irks me.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And, this will be me in my tent before I head over to my VIP viewing area for the fireworks. LOL. To each their own. Live & let live.

When any of those festivals become household names based on their customer service and attention to detail... let us know. Until then, you've missed the entire freaking point of why these changes are horrible signs for Disney's future.

rob0519

That being said, we've stayed at the GF a couple times, the Poly a few. Some people consider that a waste of money. I'm not averse to spending a good amount of money at Disney. I've always thought Club Level was kind of a waste after we did it one time. But even that is a bargain compared to this.

But again, my main gripe is the locale of these things. Put them backstage somewhere, out of sight, and as I said earlier - Whatever. And if it moves forward, maybe they will. But where they are now, and how they look? Well, at the risk of sounding over dramatic, the Magic Kingdom is my favorite place in the world. And it's 107 acres (or 122, depending on what source you read). Put these things someplace else.

I'm sure most of us have heard the story about how Walt was furious walking through Tomorrowland at Disneyland and saw a worker from Frontierland in his cowboy uniform, and that was a huge reason for the Utilidors and backstage areas. Walt cared immensely about show. I can't imagine anything more out of show than these tents. Stuff like that irks me.

Stuff like this irks not only you, but any number of repeat visitors that remember when the show and quality was a priority. Unfortunately, Walt is gone, anyone that worked or was related to Walt is gone and therefore so are his ideals. Welcome to the new Disney where profit is kind and the only people management cares about making happy are the Wall Street analysts and the shareholders.

raymusiccity

I read somewhere else that they will be air conditioned. It is reprehensible however that the wealthy will need to use public restrooms with the common folk.

For a slight up charge:

image.jpeg

Communicore

Hit the Pop today and just to make conversation, asked the CM at Everything Pop what she thought of the cabanas. She said it was something that is definitely going to be expanded in multiple locations in MK, including Tom Sawyer Island and "a couple other places in Fantasyland." Lol lol

ChrisFL

Premium Member
So 4 problems I see so far...

1.) Overpriced
2.) Way too visible in the park, I mean that's REALLY bad
3.) No bed/place to sleep/rest really
4.) No "facilities" as mentioned above.

So you're basically paying for a non-air conditioned tent with a couch, refrigerator and a few other very minor things? How does this price compare to most of the hotel room prices at WDW currently?

Edit: I'd much rather see them re-purpose some upstairs of buildings on Main St. or something for this

DisneyPrincess5

Edit: I'd much rather see them re-purpose some upstairs of buildings on Main St. or something for this
I so agree.
I think Disney wants them visible and smack dab inside lands for various reasons, however, I do like this idea much better. It wouldn't be an eyesore, it would provide better views for guests inside, it would hopefully have better amenities (more comfortable sitting areas, bathrooms, maybe even baby areas) and for the love of everything holy it would be air conditioned. Or even heat for the times when it's chilly. Ya can't not have temperature control in Central FL, especially at that price. But I guess they can and that's a shame.

Additionally, didn't the original news blurb for these cabanas say it provides better viewing for parades? Like, did I miss something, or does a parade travels back near the Tomorrowland bathrooms? I didn't think so? Firework viewings, ok, but parades? Having VIP areas inside existing buildings set up for guests including AC where you can actually see the parades would make more sense and hell, Disney can even mark them up as I'm sure they would. But the execution of this is tacky in my opinion.

I'd rather just pay for a theme park view room and stay there when we want a break. At least it would be more comfortable with temperature control and a private bathroom with a great view and ours for the extent of our vacation.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
When any of those festivals become household names based on their customer service and attention to detail... let us know. Until then, you've missed the entire freaking point of why these changes are horrible signs for Disney's future.
Well, I suppose that was a better defense for TWDC to come up with, other than a P.T. Barnum quote....

nor'easter

LOL. Some of the reactions to this are so over the top and bizarre to me. Maybe, it's because this is an older community of people who are retired or are middle aged or something. It's not that serious to me

Maybe your reaction is because you are from an entitled community of people who are immature or self-centered or something.

Siren

Well, I suppose that was a better defense for TWDC to come up with, other than a P.T. Barnum quote....
I totally have mixed feelings about this. I still don't know how Disney is going to execute the end product -- should they follow through with this concept. It is odd for a theme park but so is DVC.

154dbgg.jpg

Look at all these people squished together in the hub and they sit like this all day waiting for the parade and fireworks. When the parks are at capacity, if you leave you may not get back in.

KingdomCabanas-11262016-3.jpg

If the tents are available, I am going to choose this instead. It's not a crime.

Also, the reserved viewing for the parades and fireworks are not from the tent. It is a special prime viewing area somewhere else in the park.

I noticed some roped off areas in Liberty Square for the parade when I was last there so it might be something like that. I don't know.

Last edited:

squidward

Nobody says you have to sit right in the middle of the Hub all day like those people. I've been at Christmas and in crazy busy summer season. I have NEVER sat there like that. It's not a good viewing point for the fireworks. Sure, we've sat at the entry end of Main Street for an hour for the parade at night (which they no longer have, so that's not an issue), but there are so many good vantage points for the fireworks that don't require getting a spot hours in advance.

I get what you're saying about leaving the parks and possibly not getting back in, but that is generally in the afternoon. Then the crowds thin out enough so anyone can get back in before the fireworks. It's still incredibly crowded, but you can get in. What I don't get is spending $650 for a tent plus the cost of admission just to ensure a reserved viewing area of the fireworks. Spend $20, buy the Unofficial Guide to WDW and find out how many perfectly good viewing spots there are without having to waste an entire day.

Disney is just feeding off of people's fears. Just like with the Fantasmic Dinner Package. We did it once and it was such a waste. The seats weren't even good.

There are those saying that these tents are an excellent idea because they have someone with medical issues that would benefit from these. OK, I guess. Personally, if it were me and I was traveling with someone who had those types of issues, I simply wouldn't go at Christmas. No tent is going to save you from the crowds you'll face all week.

squidward

So 4 problems I see so far...

1.) Overpriced
2.) Way too visible in the park, I mean that's REALLY bad
3.) No bed/place to sleep/rest really
4.) No "facilities" as mentioned above.

So you're basically paying for a non-air conditioned tent with a couch, refrigerator and a few other very minor things? How does this price compare to most of the hotel room prices at WDW currently?

Number 3 is really the most bizarre (but incredibly true). You'd think they would at least provide some comfort. Those chairs and sofa look cheap and uncomfortable.

Siren

No. I think you are missing the point.
154dbgg.jpg

^^^ This is also a horrible sign for Disney. The viewing areas for the parades and fireworks have the potential to become quite hostile, as I have witnessed myself around last holiday at Disney. There were two families viciously exchanging words and it almost came to blows over a parade spot.

This is a huge turn off for park guests like me. I purposely avoid the busier times of the year because I don't want to deal with this. If the tents are available I would rather have a tent.

Not to mention, the parks are getting more and more congested year round with extended Food and Wine and Free Dining, etc. -- slow times are quickly diminishing. It is a problem. So, the tents may provide a nice alternative for some guests.

I still don't know how Disney can pull this off. But, I am interested.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
No. I think you are missing the point.
154dbgg.jpg

^^^ This is also a horrible sign for Disney. The viewing areas for the parades and fireworks have the potential to become quite hostile, as I have witnessed myself around last holiday at Disney. There were two families viciously exchanging words and it almost came to blows over a parade spot.

This is a huge turn off for park guests like me. I purposely avoid the busier times of the year because I don't want to deal with this. If the tents are available I would rather have a tent.

Not to mention, the parks are getting more and more congested year round with extended Food and Wine and Free Dining, etc. -- slow times are quickly diminishing. It is a problem. So, the tents may provide a nice alternative for some guests.

I still don't know how Disney can pull this off. But, I am interested.
Sure, crowd control is the driving factor for these tents. Even from you that's ridiculous. Which speaks volumes....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom