Is the Poly really worth the high price??

riogirl

I am planning my August 2011 vacation and I really want to stay at the Poly but I want to know if it really is worth the money? It seems awfully expensive~and even though I am getting Free Dining~which is awesome~I just am not sure. I have stayed at CBR and CS as moderates and Contemporary many years ago, but something about the Poly has always interested me. For a week it will cost around 4000...is that a lot? I would appreciate any feedback good or bad.

fosse76

I am planning my August 2011 vacation and I really want to stay at the Poly but I want to know if it really is worth the money? It seems awfully expensive~and even though I am getting Free Dining~which is awesome~I just am not sure. I have stayed at CBR and CS as moderates and Contemporary many years ago, but something about the Poly has always interested me. For a week it will cost around 4000...is that a lot? I would appreciate any feedback good or bad.

While all of Disney's hotels are overpriced compared with equivalent off-site accomodations, the deluxe resorts are obscenely overpriced. The discounts make the prices bearable.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

While all of Disney's hotels are overpriced compared with equivalent off-site accomodations, the deluxe resorts are obscenely overpriced. The discounts make the prices bearable.

Agreed.

If you can get a decent discount at the Poly, it's worth it. No Disney Hotel is worth $400 per night.

Upvote 0

Flower'sChild

I guess it depends on you and mabye how much you want to stay there and all that. I stayed at the Poly before and loved it. Though I got a passholder rate for like $219 a night.

Actually if I only went to Disney once a year I most likely would always stay at AllStar Music or Movies most of the time for about 1 or 2 weeks for my birthday (most likely 2) since I would just want a hotel with good transportation to the parks and downtown disney and all that. But since I go all threw the year and have the annual pass I like staying at different places. When I stay at any place higher priced than a value I make sure I spend a lot of time at the resort. For my next birthday I am staying at Wilderness Lodge for 2 weeks for something different.

Upvote 0

SeaCastle

To answer in one word, yes.

To answer in a bit more words, yes, deluxe hotels are overpriced. But you can't beat the Poly. It's hard to assign a dollar amount for "experience", but that's what the Polynesian is all about. Walk through the lobby of the hotel and you'll fall in love with it. The torches surrounding the place make it magical. Watch the fireworks from the beach. Sit in a hammock and relax. When you're ready to go to the parks, you have the best transportation options available (save for perhaps the Beach Club).

Upvote 0

Jimini

Well IMO....No.

I have stayed at many WDW resorts and loved the experience and time saver of being so close. The resorts are beautiful especially the lobbies as we all know. But to spend over 200 a night for a regular hotel room compared to the deals you can get just a mile off property and get a two or three bedroom villa for around 170 a night at a Marriott time share for example to me just doesn't compare. Again this is my opinion. To get the equivalent 2 bedroom 1800 sq ft condo on property its probably 1000 a night at the poly. Money better spent during the week on something other than two double beds and then the kick $10 a day for internet access? Seems abusive to the WDW fan.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

That's really all up to you. For us it is; we only take one vacation a year and it's not always at WDW so we like to stay in a deluxe. Being on the monorail is nice (especially when the kids were small). The restaurants are nice and the grounds are beautiful. The only thing we didn't like is having to walk outside to get to everything...it's tough when it's pouring and you want a snack. :zipit:

Upvote 0

scottnj1966

No Disney Resort is worth that price.
Anyone that pays something like that has way to much money.

I paid 169 last year for one of the large rooms. The place is awesome.
I love it, but not for the prices they charge now.

Upvote 0

WishIwasThere

IMHO...As much as I love the resort...no. I stayed at SoG last fall, and for a short walk, I can use the monorail and eat at the restaurants, (just can't use the pool.) but stay in a hotel with the SAME sized room, for just over $100 a night is much more paletable.

The only thing that puts Poly, GF, and CR at such a premium is the monorail.

Upvote 0

erstwo

That's really all up to you. For us it is; we only take one vacation a year and it's not always at WDW so we like to stay in a deluxe. Being on the monorail is nice (especially when the kids were small). The restaurants are nice and the grounds are beautiful. The only thing we didn't like is having to walk outside to get to everything...it's tough when it's pouring and you want a snack. :zipit:

I think this is the most important thing - for us it is quality vs. quantity. I guess we could afford to stay at the Poly 3 or 4 times a year, but the price would make us much less likely to go that often. So instead, we stay at a value.

Now, if we were only going once a year or once every 2 years, then we would do it up! Deluxe all the way.

As long as you can afford the Poly (won't stress you out to pay for it) - then go for it! I do think it is a fantastic resort and I loved staying there both times. Have a great trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

If you are looking at staying at the Polynesian you would probably be better off with a room discount as opposed to the free dining. You might be able to save 40% off the room which will make it a better deal than the free food.

I have stayed at the Polynesian a number of times (and will be there again tonight). The resort is great and it is my favorite right next to the beach club (actually i like the overall resort at Polynesian more, but the pool and convenience of Beach make it a tough contender). The resort is great, but I personally feel that the rooms are not worth their rack rate prices. Like most everyone else though, I believe that almost all the Disney hotel rooms are priced at a ridiculous level. I have always had a discount for the Polynesian which makes it affordable, but I would stay there for 400 a night. However, every person puts a different value on something. What isn't worth 400 for me, might be a no brainer for someone else.

Upvote 0

adambrady

We have stayed at the Poly 4 times in the last 5 years. It is the only place we have stayed. It is truly amazing. You only live once so don't regret never staying there if you have the desire. Now we are planning to stay at a value resort next time and take the extra $5-6K, we always go for 2 weeks, and use it on shirts, toys, snacks, just splurge on all the fun stuff.

Upvote 0

_Scar

Wait for a DVC Poly wing to be built :lol:

Rack rates are usually too outrageous for us without a nice 45% discount and it's only 40% atm. Florida residents need a better discount!

Upvote 0

nolatron

If you are looking at staying at the Polynesian you would probably be better off with a room discount as opposed to the free dining. You might be able to save 40% off the room which will make it a better deal than the free food.

I agree on this.

In June, I booked a 3-night stay in a Poly Garden view with free dining for our upcoming November trip. About 1-2 weeks later I got a 40% off PIN code in the mail. I managed to upgrade the reservation to a lagoon view at the Grand Floridian with a (paid for) dining plan. The new total was *less* than the original Poly Garden view with free dining. I would've stayed at the Poly, but they didn't have rooms available that qualified for the PIN discount I was told. So the GF it was.

But those 40% discounts are totally worth it.

Upvote 0

Rook26

DisneyInsider is absolutely right. I had free dining on our reservation for CSR, then when I changed to AKL it turned out the 40% off would save me almost $20/day more than the free dining would have.

I had it all paid off so we wound up getting $280 back :) More money to spend on souvenirs.

Upvote 0

pooh's

If you're going deluxe, go all the way and stay at Grand Floridian. We have stayed at both the Poly and the GF and much prefer the GF. We're going in Oct and with the 40% off room rate it's a better deal then the free dining.:sohappy::sohappy:

Upvote 0

Mick G.

If you look at your trip's total cost, travel, lodging, tickets, food, then it puts the room rate in perspective. Number of people can also be an issue. We travel with a party of five, which will only fit in one standard room if you stay at the Poly or Contemporary, so that makes a big difference.

Regarding transportation, the last time we stayed at Port Orleans, I kept track of how much time we spent waiting for or riding a bus. And over the 6 days that we were at WDW, I figured we burned around 8 hours on the bus. That's like a full day for us! Now I really dislike the buses, but the monorail or watercraft are basically another ride to me. So there are solid reasons for us to stay at the Poly or Contemporary, beyond the nostalgia factor, which is huge.

Mick

Upvote 0

wdwfan22

If you're going deluxe, go all the way and stay at Grand Floridian. We have stayed at both the Poly and the GF and much prefer the GF. We're going in Oct and with the 40% off room rate it's a better deal then the free dining.:sohappy::sohappy:

I agree with you 100%. We love the Grand, however this upcoming September trip we couldn't get in so we are over at the Poly. Like everyone else has said the Poly is themed perfectly. You'll have a wonderful stay there. For us we wouldn't hesitate to spend the money on the Deluxe resorts, but for some it may not be worth it. Only you can decide what's best for you. If you go for it have a wonderful stay!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom