• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Rumor Is the End of Innoventions Near?

FrankLapidus

Well, there's a random Wreck-it Ralph playground right now soon to be replaced by a random Toy Story theme (even though the "theme" is simply "a sign saying what the theme is").

If there is a Moana themed water feature, it's on the way to a Nemo themed aquarium.

Also, Future World is dead. Disney (or a corporate sponser) couldn't or didn't want to keep Communicore/Innoventions fresh, especially with how quickly all the cutting edge computer stuff became outdated. And so, that central plaza of Future World will become an extension of World Showcase. What's left of Future World will be that outer circle of pavilions that haven't been "updated".... yet.
I agree, as I said Disney clearly are not beholden to maintaining any kind of thematic cohesion when it comes to this area of Epcot now so it doesn't really matter either way.

Sir_Cliff

Also, Future World is dead. Disney (or a corporate sponser) couldn't or didn't want to keep Communicore/Innoventions fresh, especially with how quickly all the cutting edge computer stuff became outdated. And so, that central plaza of Future World will become an extension of World Showcase. What's left of Future World will be that outer circle of pavilions that haven't been "updated".... yet.
I am kind of curious as to whether Disney has any concept themselves of what Future World is supposed to be after all of this is completed. For the moment, it seems like a very curious collection of attractions with little if anything linking them. I get that the theme almost has to change as neither corporate sponsors nor Disney seem to have any interest in the former model of FW, but I am struggling to see how Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Mission:Space, a Guardians of the Galaxy rollercoaster and Living with the Land, for example, are supposed to relate to one another once this is all completed.

Must say that I am less put off by the notion of almost permanent festivals at Epcot than most people. One thing WDW parks lack relative to DL is seasonal attractions, so Epcot as one park that always has something different going on during different times of the year doesn't seem too terrible to me.

yaksplat

Something had to happen. The center of FW has been on life support for 20 years. I was there and amazed the year it opened and saw it slowly fade away. Personally, i think the biggest loss will be Club Cool. It's kind of sad that some disgusting sugar water is the current highlight of the area.

Dunston

Gonna be kind of contrarian here but I think the changes will be positive enough to outweigh the loss of the fountain of nations. I wouldn't really consider Innoventions West a loss at this point because there's nothing there now. I'm hoping some other large fountain will be built near the center of the park, maybe outside of this center, Communicore zone.

The beer garden is the part that I'm most excited for, tbh. I'm not sure how much of a must see it will be, considering most guests would want to save their financial and alcohol tolerance budget for World Showcase. Still, I'm excited to enjoy a good beer selection while surrounded by future world icons like Spaceship Earth, the Land, and Journey into Imagination. At least, I'm assuming views of these will be opened up once Innoventions West is knocked down.

Also, you can see this path of water thing on the D23 concept art, towards the left surrounded by trees.

Chris82

I loved Epcot as a kid, but I find myself curiously detached from all this now. The truth is that the Innoventions area hasn't really felt very exciting or futuristic or inspiring to me since they redid it with all the "festival" looking stuff back in the 90's, so it's kind of hard to miss it. Without seeing the actual designs, it's hard to say whether the new will be any better than the old, but I suppose it's possible. I'm not super optimistic, though.

It still seems like Disney doesn't have the slightest idea what to do with Epcot. This doesn't seem like they've found a new coherent theme for Future World. It feels like they got a bunch of executives and marketing people around a boardroom and hashed out the blandest possible compromise on a big whiteboard.

So what's motivating the change at all? Is it an appreciable increase in retail/food locations? Were they really lacking for additional festival space? Or are they reacting to negative guest survey results reflecting the "spine" of Epcot, and so they're revamping it a la Buena Vista Street just to make things feel less dated? I wonder if they even know why they're doing it?

HauntedPirate

Premium Member
Ugh... I feel dirty. I had to go to ... that other site... to see what was posted. At least I did so in a Private Browsing window, so as to not have any cookies stain my hard drive.

Meh. Just feels like more of the same from current "leadership", where: bulldoze > investing in renovations. This is just another nail in Epcot's coffin, and more of Iger's and Chapek's "stamp" on the theme parks.

And "FestCot" sounds like some disease to me. Which is somewhat apropos, I guess. ;)

epcotWSC

Park o'festivals is way more lucrative and gives people reasons to visit throughout the year. The fact that bits of it change each year also brings people back for more. I personally enjoy it as long as they can keep the levels of stupidity in check.

Technology changes so quickly that future world is not an easy investment. I don't know what the best answer is but I'm all on board with more cultural stuff especially as the global culture becomes more homogeneous.

Top Bottom