Rumor Is the End of Innoventions Near?

Dunston

Gonna be kind of contrarian here but I think the changes will be positive enough to outweigh the loss of the fountain of nations. I wouldn't really consider Innoventions West a loss at this point because there's nothing there now. I'm hoping some other large fountain will be built near the center of the park, maybe outside of this center, Communicore zone.

The beer garden is the part that I'm most excited for, tbh. I'm not sure how much of a must see it will be, considering most guests would want to save their financial and alcohol tolerance budget for World Showcase. Still, I'm excited to enjoy a good beer selection while surrounded by future world icons like Spaceship Earth, the Land, and Journey into Imagination. At least, I'm assuming views of these will be opened up once Innoventions West is knocked down.

Also, you can see this path of water thing on the D23 concept art, towards the left surrounded by trees.

Chris82

I loved Epcot as a kid, but I find myself curiously detached from all this now. The truth is that the Innoventions area hasn't really felt very exciting or futuristic or inspiring to me since they redid it with all the "festival" looking stuff back in the 90's, so it's kind of hard to miss it. Without seeing the actual designs, it's hard to say whether the new will be any better than the old, but I suppose it's possible. I'm not super optimistic, though.

It still seems like Disney doesn't have the slightest idea what to do with Epcot. This doesn't seem like they've found a new coherent theme for Future World. It feels like they got a bunch of executives and marketing people around a boardroom and hashed out the blandest possible compromise on a big whiteboard.

So what's motivating the change at all? Is it an appreciable increase in retail/food locations? Were they really lacking for additional festival space? Or are they reacting to negative guest survey results reflecting the "spine" of Epcot, and so they're revamping it a la Buena Vista Street just to make things feel less dated? I wonder if they even know why they're doing it?

Epcot_Imagineer

Iger announcing the new Epcot theme to stockholders.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Ugh... I feel dirty. I had to go to ... that other site... to see what was posted. At least I did so in a Private Browsing window, so as to not have any cookies stain my hard drive.

Meh. Just feels like more of the same from current "leadership", where: bulldoze > investing in renovations. This is just another nail in Epcot's coffin, and more of Iger's and Chapek's "stamp" on the theme parks.

And "FestCot" sounds like some disease to me. Which is somewhat apropos, I guess. ;)

epcotWSC

Park o'festivals is way more lucrative and gives people reasons to visit throughout the year. The fact that bits of it change each year also brings people back for more. I personally enjoy it as long as they can keep the levels of stupidity in check.

Technology changes so quickly that future world is not an easy investment. I don't know what the best answer is but I'm all on board with more cultural stuff especially as the global culture becomes more homogeneous.

SirWillow

There's not a lot that I like in this.

The festival center makes sense. And to use the old Innoventions site does as well so that the building has access to Epcot's utilidor. No real issues with that in its essence I guess. That's the only thing on there I can see that I might actually stop in at.

I would have liked to see something else done with the old Innoventions buildings- a revamp, refocus, major update, rather than giving up and entirely scrapping the whole thing. But that really seems like it was done years ago and they just let it die a long slow extended death, which I think made it worse.

Not a fan of the beer garden in any way, shape or form. There aren't enough places around Epcot to get a drink? And enough issues with some of the people "enjoying" their way around the world showcase? Now lets let them get smashed almost as soon as they get in with something that's really already present in the park. Absolutely remotely interesting or unique about it.

And a stand alone Starbucks. whoohoo!

The "trail journey of water"... wow, an oversized extended water play area for kids.

Rather than updating and making something interesting, something that might draw people in, so far they pretty much are putting in what I can find at my local park. I mean the county park, that I don't have to pay to go to. Sad.

And at the expense of a lot- past, present, and future possibilities.

The Empress Lilly

I can not even begin to express my resentment of Project Gamma.

It reads like a parody of a worst case scenario. The utter destruction of FW for a standalone Starbucks, m&g's, beer garden and festival center.

Well why not, eh. Basically a more direct transformation of what has been a slow movement into this direction over two decades. Might as well just get it over and done with, raze EPCOT, put up a tent with beer fests, foam heads and a dance party.

carolina_yankee

Would the new Journey of Water be a suitable replacement to Fountain of Nations - that is, something interesting and representative of the park?

I really like the ritual of blending waters from various rivers of the World Showcase countries into the fountain as a dedication ceremony that has been repeated a few times. It would be nice to still have a water feature that represents the park - something more than just a pretty feature.

I'll withhold judgment on the overall concept until it's clearer what Epcot is supposed to be. I confess to being in the camp the recognizes old EPCOT isn't coming back, ZombieCot is painful to see, so if FestCot it is to be, at least make it fun and attractive.

But I will always treasure watching my jaded, worldly, cynical, staid military father have his mind blown by Epcot on his first and only visit on New Year's Eve, 1987 - when we could still find Table Service dining at the last minute!

Dirk

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom