Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
The prime time special concept cracks me up. "And now, for a very special celebration at Disney's Magical Hollywood Park of Wonder that has no Relationship with Metro Goldwyn or Mayer, which will quite literally, blow your lid off."
I'm thinking for that magic moment, they could either have sorcerer Mickey wave his wand, or give a nod to the studios and have Donald with his cannon:

image.jpg

BryceM

Can someone explain why they don't like the hat please? I think it is an icon - or am I missing something?
Hollywood Boulevard is a beautifully designed entrance which is supposed to immerse you into "classic Hollywood". Tell me, which screams "classic Hollywood" to you?

This?

ab8b9cdd81433f6dd4e5eb89fe0e3f60_zpsa8769ed9.jpg

Or this?

0649ef6708f671262f64c3b0fccde842_zpsa06206be.jpg

Just ponder those two pictures for a moment, and it won't be hard to realize why everybody hates the hat.

FlaMel

Can someone explain why they don't like the hat please? I think it is an icon - or am I missing something?
As an icon, it is unique and recognizable, but overall, it's just out of place. Unlike the Cinderella Castle, Spaceship Earth or the Tree of Life, it is not integrated into the story of its surroundings. If the Disney Hollywood Studios is to finds its way to a new, more cohesive identity (a'la Disney's California Adventure), the hat will need to be removed.

FabulousFigment

For me personally it is not the hat itself, but like others have said, the location of the darn thing. Others have said, pick it up and move it to the front of the park before you enter the gates. This way it is still utilized but doesn't obstruct Hollywood Blvd.

I think it would look great over in DTD near the World of Disney. It might even look nice somewhere near the entrance gates to the world. Just definitely not where it is currently located.

lego606

MagicBandit
For me personally it is not the hat itself, but like others have said, the location of the darn thing. Others have said, pick it up and move it to the front of the park before you enter the gates. This way it is still utilized but doesn't obstruct Hollywood Blvd.

I think it would look great over in DTD near the World of Disney. It might even look nice somewhere near the entrance gates to the world. Just definitely not where it is currently located.

I agree with putting it out in front of the resort. We don't need to give Disney Springs the hat and basically just change which area's theming is destroyed by a BAH.

FabulousFigment

I agree with putting it out in front of the resort. We don't need to give Disney Springs the hat and basically just change which area's theming is destroyed by a BAH.
Yes, I was all for it before Disney Springs came into play. Now it seems like they will have their own water tower of sorts?? Anyways, yes, they will have their own theming & out near the entrance would be a great place for it and seems to follow the style they have out there already.

lego606

MagicBandit
Yes, I was all for it before Disney Springs came into play. Now it seems like they will have their own water tower of sorts?? Anyways, yes, they will have their own theming & out near the entrance would be a great place for it and seems to follow the style they have out there already.

I wonder if they can raise it up or something and have it over the roadway.

complete with dangling pin store :p

lazyboy97o

Why should the view up Hollywood Blvd be diluted by the thing?

FabulousFigment

It shouldn't. It was always a beautiful view. The hat was cute for a while but has definitely overstayed its welcome. I was just stating that I don't hate the hat as much as I hate its current location.

koryadams

It just needs to be re-located. I am sure it wasn't cheap to make, so why not keep it, but re-locate it to maybe right outside the entrance, or somewhere it 's not blocking anything. I will be shocked if they just dismantle it and throw it away (well, they would recycle it somehow)

lazyboy97o

It just needs to be re-located. I am sure it wasn't cheap to make, so why not keep it, but re-locate it to maybe right outside the entrance, or somewhere it 's not blocking anything. I will be shocked if they just dismantle it and throw it away (well, they would recycle it somehow)
It was designed to be temporary.

RAXIP

Page 16 of this thread:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...on-at-the-studios.435696/page-16#post-3509653

Though it probably be cheaper just to get rid of it. I'd rather just not see the Hat anymore.

Turtle

WHAT IF... the hat remains the icon... but is at the front of the park like Islands of Adventure. It's recognizable and a somewhat-good icon AND it keeps the Chinese Theater unobstructed

Roo Bear

Thanks for the pics! I understand now that the hat IS in the wrong place, but perhaps it could just be moved? Definitely happy to admit to being wrong on this one!

Calvin Coolidge

I haven't read all 46 pages of this thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned. I saw mentioned some where the Chinese theatre could possibly be re-themed to look like the Cathay Circle theatre. I know I read that it was only a rumor but I haven't been able to find it again. Does anyone think that this is a possibility? I long for the days before 2000 when that beautiful Chinese theatre was the showpiece of Hollywood Blvd.
Marni1971's quote said it all.

Almost definitely not. There's already a Carthay Circle theater on Sunset Boulevard (http://www.yesterland.com/replicas3.html), and there really is no reason to change the Chinese Theater. The "copyright issue" rumors are just rumors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom