Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I personally think the hat is fine (I know most on here don't however). I think more regular guests are ok with the hat too just like most don't mind the disco yeti (in all of its 2 seconds of glory anyways).

So the cost in removing the hat isn't really going to benefit Disney plus it's the icon everyone can relate to in the hub

I think the pin trading underneath is cheesy though. Maybe do a meet and greet there so the characters can be in the shade?

There are a lot of details in Disney parks that people probably wouldn't consciously miss if they weren't there, but it's these very details that make Disney what it is.

BrightImagine

The Hat has been there so long now that it's a part of younger people's entire living memory. This age group unfortunately also missed MGM in the heyday of its original incarnation, when one was much more likely to spot the water tower. Please, move the Hat before it becomes too 'treasured.' Would the Wand or the Castle Cake have had their own defenders if they'd lasted long enough?

That picture posted by Lee shows just how completely the Hat obliterates the Chinese Theater. Only a tiny spire is visible behind it.

imagineer boy

Whats going to be the park's icon though? (Sorry if its been mentioned already in the previous 400 pages of the thread). I know someone is going to say the earful tower, but it isn't very central is it? And the theatre isn't tall enough or suitable to be an icon alongside the other three.

I personally think if they moved the earful tower to the front of the park then it would make a perfect icon.

Tom

Beta Return
Whats going to be the park's icon though? (Sorry if its been mentioned already in the previous 400 pages of the thread). I know someone is going to say the earful tower, but it isn't very central is it? And the theatre isn't tall enough or suitable to be an icon alongside the other three.

The Earful Tower is the icon on many of their print materials right now. My aunt and uncle recently went down for a week, using my cousin's CM room discount, and they got the Cast Member Reservation booklet (which is pretty cool). It's cover shows the 4 icons in silhouette, with the one for DHS being the Earful Tower.

G00fyDad

They may be in the process of talks on removing the hat and are just having an identity crisis right now. I'd just prefer that they remove the hat and go back to the theater as the icon. Just be done with it.

mergatroid

I personally think the hat is fine (I know most on here don't however). I think more regular guests are ok with the hat too just like most don't mind the disco yeti (in all of its 2 seconds of glory anyways).

So the cost in removing the hat isn't really going to benefit Disney plus it's the icon everyone can relate to in the hub

I think the pin trading underneath is cheesy though. Maybe do a meet and greet there so the characters can be in the shade?

I introduced Mrs M to Disney about 12 years back when we started dating so she's never experienced the studios without the hat and guess what, she likes it Looking at the theatre close up she can't see why it would look good from a distance without the hat there. To be honest the hat doesn't upset me and I don't think it's as bad as some people make out.

jt04

I introduced Mrs M to Disney about 12 years back when we started dating so she's never experienced the studios without the hat and guess what, she likes it Looking at the theatre close up she can't see why it would look good from a distance without the hat there. To be honest the hat doesn't upset me and I don't think it's as bad as some people make out.

As soon as she sees it without the hat she will exclaim, "ohhhhhhhhh, now I see why people thought the hat was idiotic". Because it is.

G00fyDad

I can respect that opinion. However, look at it like this... stand there in the Hat's spot and look around. They have attempted to theme the area in the "majesty" of the idea of the golden age of Hollywood (arguably successful or not). And then turn and look at that big *** hat. It just sticks out like a sore thumb.

mergatroid

As soon as she sees it without the hat she will exclaim, "ohhhhhhhhh, now I see why people thought the hat was idiotic". Because it is.

I can respect that opinion. However, look at it like this... stand there in the Hat's spot and look around. They have attempted to theme the area in the "majesty" of the idea of the golden age of Hollywood (arguably successful or not). And then turn and look at that big *** hat. It just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Yes I know and I personally prefered it before the hat also. She thinks it's 'cute' for some reason but then again she loved the wand at Epcot, I suppose it's different things for different people.

NEL

I personally think the hat was put there bc of the iconic front of the park picture most family like to take and show others. The pictures with the theater in the back did not seem "Disney ". For example in Mk you get the castle , in Epcot you get SSe. Both very recognizable Disney icons. At MGM you got a funny looking Chinese Thearter which I am sure most people didn't even know what it was. I bet when they showed that picture at MGM to friends and family they did not believe it was taken at Disney. Therefore Plop an easy indentifiable Disney icon for the background of the pics , that maybe can very loosely fit in the theme of "Hollywood " and now it has a suitable background for all the fan pics that everyone can relate to Disney. I am not saying its a good reason , I am just saying that might have been one of the reasons.

cheezbat

Really? Too small?

Cinderella Castle 189 feet tall
Spaceship Earth 180 feet tall
Tree of Life 145 feet tall
Sleeping Beauty Castle 77 feet tall
Carthay Circle Theater 89 feet tall

Chinese Theater 90 feet tall

While smaller than the other three icons, it's still taller than both of DLRs icons. I think it worked fine as the iconic centerpiece.

dcibrando

But how is the Chinese theater considered Disney? I like the look of it but DO NOT like it to be the focal point walking into HS and that as the icon. Just my 2 cents

Macca250

Really? Too small?

Cinderella Castle 189 feet tall
Spaceship Earth 180 feet tall
Tree of Life 145 feet tall
Sleeping Beauty Castle 77 feet tall
Carthay Circle Theater 89 feet tall

Chinese Theater 90 feet tall

While smaller than the other three icons, it's still taller than both of DLRs icons. I think it worked fine as the iconic centerpiece.
Okay maybe 'small' isn't the right word. I'm still not convinced though; using a real life recreation as a symbol for a Disney park dosent sit right with me. I do miss the view of the theatre down the boulevard, but I'm in the minority of people who don't mind the hat. I understand its reason for being there and it's a nice representation of classic Disney. Plus, I think the Florida park icons have this purpose of orientation; a structure that stands out in the park's skyline that's different from the rest of the architecture. The theatre for me (whilst impressive) is more of a part of theming for Hollywood boulevard rather than representing the other areas of the park, especially if CarsLand or LucasLand are going to join the studios. They have no connection to the golden age of Hollywood theme that the boulevards are based around.

The Earful Tower is the icon on many of their print materials right now. My aunt and uncle recently went down for a week, using my cousin's CM room discount, and they got the Cast Member Reservation booklet (which is pretty cool). It's cover shows the 4 icons in silhouette, with the one for DHS being the Earful Tower.

I think the tower is the perfect icon. If they're willing to move it to the front of the park so it's more prominent then that would be fantastic. The Walt Disney Studios in Paris have their 'Earffel Tower' as their icon which sits at the park entrance. I think it makes sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom