Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Sam Magic

I may be late to the party but to all those who think the people here are negative or do not have pixie dust left in them:

We so called 'purist' have pixie dust, a ton of it. Look at the imagineering forum, look at some of the ideas even proposed here. The difference is that we remember how much better Disney used to be, sure Disney is still great but we want Disney to hearken back to the magic of the parks before in order for new guests and old guests to enjoy an even better Disney.

Personally I feel that the execs are slowly getting the message, but there is still a long way to go and I hope that we reach that castle on a hill.

SnarkyMonkey

The difference is that we remember how much better Disney used to be, sure Disney is still great but we want Disney to hearken back to the magic of the parks before in order for new guests and old guests to enjoy an even better Disney.

But that's a matter of opinion. Not everyone agrees that Disney lost its magic or is somehow worse than it once was. Maybe that's the exact point where we diverge? Every visit to WDW for me is better than the last. I'm not saying that you have to agree. I think trying to convince us that has gone down hill is pointless. Your experience has been different than mine and that's ok.

Sam Magic

But that's a matter of opinion. Not everyone agrees that Disney lost its magic or is somehow worse than it once was. Maybe that's the exact point where we diverge? Every visit to WDW for me is better than the last. I'm not saying that you have to agree. I think trying to convince us that has gone down hill is pointless. Your experience has been different than mine and that's ok.
I was not trying to, I was talking about the people who feel the same as me. I thought it was cool how you left that bit out in your quote.

jensenrick

I disagree that people are intentionally trying to "kill the happy buzz"

Come on, seriously? What about that poor woman, all she did was post a pic of her family with the Hat? She was hounded by multiple posters, even after retracting her statement that she liked the hat. And that's just the most recent incident I can think of.

At this point, I would like to restate my statement that I don't care about the Hat, so that I don't jumped on. Just putting that out there.

DC0703

Two things. 1. Feedback to a company is not what this forum is. 2. What influences the decisions of a company like Disney is money. If people anonymously complain on a website but continue to give Disney their money, Disney will keep on doing what they are doing. That is how they ultimately measure success.

In the end, it really is about money. Disney is, in many ways, like most large companies in 2015 - they are looking to maximize profits by finding that sweet spot between how high they can charge and how low they can keep expenditures, without turning off the customer.

With WDW, where millions of customers cross the gates each year, it will be hard to see a major sea change. Especially with magic bands and the resort structure, which keeps many guests as a captive audience. The average guest doesn't notice the details that many on these boards pay close attention to. They may visit every few years and are more focused on whether their families are having a good time. They may not remember or care about Maelstrom or that Avatar is years behind schedule (if they even know its in development at all). So Disney can practice the "death by a 1000 cuts" practice that people speak of here, but guests may not notice or react, affirming their decisions.

Even if attendance would drop off, there is no guarantee that the higher ups will get the correct message.

Personally I don't think it is all doom and gloom. I visited last year for the first time in many years and had a great time. And to be fair, they do have a lot of things in the pipeline right now. I'm optimistic for the future of the parks, even if the momentum to get there takes place at a glacial pace.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is exactly what I meant. Thank you. Discussion is good. Differences of a opinion is good. What you have described above is bad.

Two things. 1. Feedback to a company is not what this forum is. 2. What influences the decisions of a company like Disney is money. If people anonymously complain on a website but continue to give Disney their money, Disney will keep on doing what they are doing. That is how they ultimately measure success.
Or you can complain via existing official channels. Anyone with a bit of educated searching can find out who to write to and in what tone.

I did recently about very specific, almost geeky problems. And they're being fixed.

brihow

In the end, it really is about money. Disney is, in many ways, like most large companies in 2015 - they are looking to maximize profits by finding that sweet spot between how high they can charge and how low they can keep expenditures, without turning off the customer.

With WDW, where millions of customers cross the gates each year, it will be hard to see a major sea change. Especially with magic bands and the resort structure, which keeps many guests as a captive audience. The average guest doesn't notice the details that many on these boards pay close attention to. They may visit every few years and are more focused on whether their families are having a good time. They may not remember or care about Maelstrom or that Avatar is years behind schedule (if they even know its in development at all). So Disney can practice the "death by a 1000 cuts" practice that people speak of here, but guests may not notice or react, affirming their decisions.

Even if attendance would drop off, there is no guarantee that the higher ups will get the correct message.

Personally I don't think it is all doom and gloom. I visited last year for the first time in many years and had a great time. And to be fair, they do have a lot of things in the pipeline right now. I'm optimistic for the future of the parks, even if the momentum to get there takes place at a glacial pace.

Very well written and I 100% agree. My last trip to Disney (winter 2014) was not a great one - but it had more to do with the horrible crowds and annoying cheerleaders ( I guess it was Cheer Week?).

spacemt354

Chili's
"Buh-bye." - Seinfeld

hello-gif-2.gif

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
On the topic of 'why are people here' - What throws people is a forum like this is an outlet for many different types of people.

I'm putting this bit up top for the TL:DR crowd...
-----
An analogy people might relate to is Motion Pictures. Most people goto the movies to be entertained. They are not interested in the process of movie making, just the movie OUTPUT. But behind the movie there is all sorts of disciplines, theories, principles that are work together. Most consumers have no interest in these things, or even take them for granted. A movie being 'good' or 'bad' is a subjective topic usually based on if the viewer enjoyed it.. and they are less interested in understanding why the movie did or did not connect with them. These are simply the movie consumers.. or movie fans.

But there is a whole other audience that is aware of the science or techniques used.. and are interested in or maybe simply have a more heightened awareness to those topics. They can label a film not just on the enjoyment factor but also on merits of its elements or assembly. They may label films 'good' or 'bad' based on more of the components of the project rather than simply their personal tastes. They may find their conclusions a bit more objective, even if the individual gradings are still subjective. IE: A movie critic that has to review a Romantic Comedy they have no interest in and tries to critique the film's elements like actor performance, photography, set/costumes, writing, etc.. Because they are looking at components that can be argued individually on their own merits, they tend to be more conclusive in their labels. A fan might simply say "I didn't like it"... a critic might say "Its a bad film"

The pinnacle of this is the Award Shows. The voters are critiquing films on dimensions the 'movie fan' are oblivious to or don't care about. The fan largely cares only if the film worked for them personally. But because these award folks are in the industry of creating that stuff and or admire the process itself, they grade each other on merits of portions of the project. They focus in on the 'art of the show' and less about 'what resonated with the public'. And we have the classic "why did the english patient get best picture??? I hate that movie" situation :)

---------

Ok, now how does this map out in Disney terms? TL:DR readers check out now...

These are categories... not necessarily hard boundaries. Many may have motivations fed by multiple categories, but most people with self-study would probably associate themselves with one more strongly than another.

• You have the trip planners - I need info or advice on trip specifics. I'm not seeking a lecture on history or why such and such is a bad art choice. These people can be anything from Disney first timers.. to those looking to enhance their vacations. These people come to the forum just when they have a need. Some users switch into this mode when focused on a single objective.
  • You have the 'discovery phase' for newer guests - They've enjoyed Disney as a customer, and now they seek out more and more details about 'what is available'. These are the people that are eager to find out 'what else does Disney offer'. They are lured by a taste of the good stuff.. and they are desperately seeking more. They may have a budding interest in the company's past, but are more driven by seeking out the experiences. They may not be actively planning a trip... but they are building out their "wish list" of activities and are excited to see change as it represents new opportunities. These people will be heavy forum users who ramp up their time here.
  • You have the "in search of..." crowd - Typically users who may be trying to find some detail about memories of old.. or maybe come from a related topic that is crossing over into the Disney business and are just trying to find info. These people are usually transient.
  • You have the 'fanatic customer' - These are the customers that just can't get enough Disney. They go to the parks as much as they can... they look at disney news, fan talk, etc because it gives them 'their disney dose' when they aren't at Disney. They consider themselves well educated in Disney's offerings and will retain a lot about the past offerings as they experienced them. They may appreciate nostalgia, or throwbacks especially to things they experienced... but it's mostly about what they will experience or look forward to experiencing. They are eager for news, sharing, and details because the internal motivation is they want to consume the product themselves. They like Disney communities as they can surround themselves with people with similar interests and likes. They'll love the 'what is your favorite XYZ' thread, etc.
All of the above tend to be people that focus on Disney as CONSUMERS. The last category is typically the type that can evolve into the 'pixie duster' label -- Their eagerness for more and more leads to excitement and payoff for just anything Disney puts out. They are also the ones that can get offended or defensive when someone is critical of the thing they find so much pleasure in. They can take the criticism as an attack on their personal interests or values. It hits close to home when what you enjoy is looked down on or made into a negative.

What confuses people is there are other categories of users that appreciate Disney as not just CONSUMERS of the product, but as students of the HOW behind the output of Disney. Be it students of the ART behind things, the SCIENCE, the BUSINESS, the SHOW. Many consumers of Disney don't look at Disney ITSELF as if it were a Model itself to dissect and analyze. People forget, Disney is/was a trendsetter in establishing entire new industries. Disney is/was a role model for many types of trades.... be it artists, producers, designers, engineers, or business managers.

This is an entirely different side of Disney that attracts many people. The "art of the show" so to speak. Their interest in the product is not primarily driven as a CONSUMER of it, but motivated by the creative or business processes themselves. Disney is a leading producer of things they are interested by. They are interested in the technical merit of things, the reasons behind choices, the art of the show that when applied correctly has established concepts and products that are loved the world over.

• 'fans of WDI' - the early stage of geeking over Disney. They will be interested in all the backstage magic. They will be interested in understanding HOW things are done. They can be motivated by 'the knowing the secret behind the magic', they are interested in how its achieved. The thirst for knowledge or personal attachment drives them. They get enjoyment from seeing how the magic is made. Typically these fans will eagerly seek out all details on attractions, their background, their histories, their evolution. Driven by wanting more.. more examples, more variations, etc. Interviews are about finding the details you couldn't see, or learning the tricks behind it all, etc.
  • 'Students of Walt' - Eventually these people might evolve into wanting to understand WHY things are done.. because they often have their own take on creative decisions and things they think would be cool or not. The study of the 'why' leads them to understand the PRINCIPLES involved (vs simply knowing the EXAMPLES) and what steered successful efforts. They will be interested in hearing from the imagineers themselves because they want to understand and get deeper details. They will be interested in the new projects because its another new example to interpret, understand, and make their own critique using their understandings of the principles involved. They will read books and do research to gain more insight, more reference, more knowledge from those that were responsible for things they look up to as such great achievements. These people will GEEK OVER DISNEY vs just be excited to consume Disney as an entertainment experience.
So what you have is the Disney GEEK vs the Disney FAN. Some may think they geek over the outputs.. but the evolution is to not just obsess over the examples... but understand the principles that allowed such a wide variety of examples to all be successful. It's about understanding the theory, and not just the practice. Why? Some may aspire to be in that kind of business, some just like to dream, some see it as analyzing the company and it's future.

Where the friction comes in is when these later categories can be CRITICAL of the Disney product... and not from a consumer view, but from the view of product creation and management. They are critical of the process that lead to the attraction/experience. In doing so they often label things as 'good' or 'bad'. People who are just looking at it as a point of consumption... can take offense when someone calls something they appreciate 'bad'. They think it's a reflection on them as well in a negative connotation. "you like THAT??"

Disney FANS may be less critical in the sense of things that don't interest them, they can simply pass over unless it directly blocks them. Disney GEEKs may be more critical of all products, even if they don't directly consume it. The topic of interest for the Geek is the process or output itself.. not necessarily their personal consumption of it.
You've put a lot of thought into this, and I agree with the general classifications. We know there will be shades of grey in between some of of them of course, but in general they feel correct to me.
Of course that doesn't mean that Disney Fans won't be critical of things, or disagree, and it won't mean that Disney Geeks won't disagree (rather strongly at times).
It does however breakdown the typical motivations of the different types of folks we tend to interact with here and on other forms of social media (and in person as well).

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Ok. Let's assume that you are right. What I really want to know is why does that bother you and others so very much? Why can't they like everything that Disney does if they want to? A lot of effort goes in to killing a buzz around this place. Let the happy people be happy.
There are plenty of places for the happy people to be happy on WDWMagic, but the N&R boards is a very different (and sometimes nasty and truthful) place.

BrerJon

So what you have is the Disney GEEK vs the Disney FAN. Some may think they geek over the outputs.. but the evolution is to not just obsess over the examples... but understand the principles that allowed such a wide variety of examples to all be successful. It's about understanding the theory, and not just the practice. Why? Some may aspire to be in that kind of business, some just like to dream, some see it as analyzing the company and it's future.

What a wonderful post. I'd never thought of it in terms of producers vs consumers, but I think that's a brilliant comparison.

I'm very much the sort who goes to a movie and is looking at the CGI, wondering what rendering systems were used, what camera lenses, analysing the screenplay act structure etc... basically I find it hard to just objectively view things without looking at the art behind it... that's just how I am. I'm nerdy like that, and I bet that overlap is true of many 'Doom and Gloomers'. I bet lots of them watch 'Making of' documentaries and listen to DVD commentaries too.

Part of the problem is when you are the sort that over analyses things, or is interested in the creation as much as the final product it's far harder to accept things for what they are as you're constantly aware of what they could be and how little it would take to fix things up, which is what people find frustrating.

At the end of the day all Doom & Gloomers aspire to be pixie dusters - what I mean by that is I'd love nothing more than to enjoy the parks as much as I did in the 90s and recapture that feeling of wonder and sheer happiness from how amazing it all was. Part of calling Disney out on things is that with each thing fixed or improved, we're one step closer to recapturing that happiness, but the pixie dusters are lucky as they've already reached that destination.

Admiral01

Premium Member
While I agree with your post, especially the bolded part. I will say the problem I have is when people start telling me what I should Like/NOT Like just because it goes against their opinions.

Absolutely. No one should tell you what you should and should not like. We can definitely disagree on what we do and do not like, but your likes and dislikes are based on your opinion. Facts are hard and true, opinions are totally subjective. Likes and dislikes are therefore not facts, and no one should be attacked for having them. Discussions and questions on why someone may like something is ok...but not being attacked.

And we should all be responsible in saying what we do and do not like. Both are important. I personally like to give positive and negative feedback, because both are valuable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom