Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

DisDan

Well I will say this, I am a relative newcomer to these forums and I used to be ignorant about Disney, even though I've been going my whole life and have a TON of memories as a kid going in the 80's and 90's.. I never really doubted Disney much about anything, until recently when I started a family and started taking my kids, DD is 5 and DS is 3, and after a couple of recent visits I have noticed the show quality and degraded condition of the parks and of EPCOT in particular. I still love Disney and my kids sure love it even in it's current state, they have nothing to compare against though. I started coming here for news about upcoming attractions wanting to get the latest rumors and news about all things Disney.

The result, I have sort of become obsessed with all the details now, I gobble up all and any info I get which in MOST cases on here is Doom and Gloom. My opinion of Disney has changed drastically since I started reading these forums. Not to say the information I get here is not true, a lot of it has confirmed things I already had suspicions of and just chose to ignore. But a lot of the information I read here I would have NEVER known had I not been here to read it, mainly because I never sought it out.. Especially the financial neglect the parks are receiving. There are still some opinions on here I am totally against, but in reality much of what I have read on here has opened my eyes for better or for worse.

Though, to be fair, I was already aware of how ridiculous pricing has gotten at Disney and so we stay off-site and limit our Disney dining experiences to the occasional Character meal for the kiddos.

TL;DR I chose to come on here to read news and rumors about upcoming projects. I got that, and a whole lot more I did not expect. In the end I sort of wish I could just have gotten the news and rumors and stayed ignorant about all the other stuff.

Jwhee

Well I will say this, I am a relative newcomer to these forums and I used to be ignorant about Disney, even though I've been going my whole life and have a TON of memories as a kid going in the 80's and 90's.. I never really doubted Disney much about anything, until recently when I started a family and started taking my kids, DD is 5 and DS is 3, and after a couple of recent visits I have noticed the show quality and degraded condition of the parks and of EPCOT in particular. I still love Disney and my kids sure love it even in it's current state, they have nothing to compare against though. I started coming here for news about upcoming attractions wanting to get the latest rumors and news about all things Disney.

The result, I have sort of become obsessed with all the details now, I gobble up all and any info I get which in MOST cases on here is Doom and Gloom. My opinion of Disney has changed drastically since I started reading these forums. Not to say the information I get here is not true, a lot of it has confirmed things I already had suspicions of and just chose to ignore. But a lot of the information I read here I would have NEVER known had I not been here to read it, mainly because I never sought it out.. Especially the financial neglect the parks are receiving. There are still some opinions on here I am totally against, but in reality much of what I have read on here has opened my eyes for better or for worse.

Though, to be fair, I was already aware of how ridiculous pricing has gotten at Disney and so we stay off-site and limit our Disney dining experiences to the occasional Character meal for the kiddos.

TL;DR I chose to come on here to read news and rumors about upcoming projects. I got that, and a whole lot more I did not expect. In the end I sort of wish I could just have gotten the news and rumors and stayed ignorant about all the other stuff.

So.. What do you think of the hat?

DisDan

So.. What do you think of the hat?

Well I got mixed feelings on the Hat, I remember going to MGM before BAH and loving the park. I always thought BAH was kinda cool but yea I hate the location it's in and so it has to go. I watch the progress everyday to catch a glimpse of what I Remember MGM/DHS looking like when you walked into the park.

Though I do have a lot of memories as a Teenager at DHS with BAH there, had my first kiss near BAH on a school field trip one year at DHS....so there is that.

NearTheEars

That is what is so sad. Because of the way that opinion is expressed on this one, many people have come on excited to learn more about WDW only to be totally petrified by what they have read. Instead of happily looking forward to a visit, (which BTW, can still be a fun experience) they are apprehensive and anxious about the prospect of being disappointed by the way the place has been described as garbage and/or afraid that they will be overwhelmed by imaginary hardships.

That was pretty much my experience.
I had just made my first trip to WDW ever after moving to Fla. at the ripe old age of 24.
I Was blown away.

And like with most things in my life, I began to feverishly research the place to learn the facts and history -- anything I could get my hands on. Then I stumbled upon WDWMagic and was like ... finally! MY PEOPLE!

And boom! It was the complete opposite of what I expected. It seemed like everyone hated the place and just came here to vent day after day about it.

So I got on my new member soapbox and pleaded my case, told of my astonishment at the negativity, and it was met with plenty of LOLs from the crowd.

Now, a few years later I've found that It is what it is.
Byt my glasses are a bit less rosie.

And I've seen folks come in out, over and over, just like I did and make the same passionate plea and I kind of laugh too. They have no idea what they are getting into.

But I've come to respect the opinions of many of the "purists" here (that's what we are calling them now right? Since everyone needs to be labeled).

But I still have plenty of pixie dust in me, and until it runs out, or th AP price goes through the roof, we'll keep visiting.

NearTheEars

No, you're absolutely right. If you look at the topics covered, we debate things so minor compared to the big picture that a first timer is not going to understand why people are so passionate about these things. And forming an opinion based on people complaining about a bench is hardly how you prepare for your first trip.

Disney is a hobby for a lot of us, and we love it. It's why we're here. Like any hobby, we get emotional about things we like and don't like. It seems as if the more more I visit, the more I analyze and nitpick. But in the end I still have a fantastic time. If I didn't, I wouldn't go back.

Bingo. And that's what I've come to understand in time.
I was among the "many."
Now I'm a bit more educated on the opinions.

Last edited:

Admiral01

Premium Member
Ok. Let's assume that you are right. What I really want to know is why does that bother you and others so very much? Why can't they like everything that Disney does if they want to? A lot of effort goes in to killing a buzz around this place. Let the happy people be happy.

Because being a cheerleader for everything Disney does, regardless of whether it is good or bad, provides them with the reinforcement that the company can do anything they want and the fans won't care - they will like it no matter what.

Disney could replace the smoked turkey leg with dog poop on a stick, and the fans who love everything that Disney does regardless of quality will provide enough positive reinforcement that Disney will decide that the dog poop on a stick was a good move.

True fans need to give realistic feedback to keep companies like Disney from becomming too assured that their decisions can do no wrong.

Disney can and does make bonehead decisions. If all we do is love everything, those bonehead decisions become the norm and all of our experiences will suffer. It is our responsibility as consumers to say "I like this" and "I don't like that."

Last edited:

DisDan

Because being a cheerleader for everything Disney does, regardless of whether it is good or bad, provides them with the reinforcement that the company can do anything they want and the fans won't care - they will like it no matter what.

Disney could replace the smoked turkey leg with dog poop on a stick, and the fans who love everything that Disney does regardless of quality will provide enough positive reinforcement that Disney will decide that the dog poop on a stick was a good move.

True fans need to give realistic feedback to keep companies like Disney from becomming too assured that their decisions can do no wrong.

Disney can and does make bonehead decisions. If all we do is love everything, those bonehead decisions become the norm and all of our experiences will suffer. It is our responsibility as consumers to say "I like this" and "I don't like that."

While I agree with your post, especially the bolded part. I will say the problem I have is when people start telling me what I should Like/NOT Like just because it goes against their opinions.

SnarkyMonkey

I think he was more referring to the dismissive or condescending tone that often comes up in response to the happy people. If someone says they're excited for the new Frozen attraction in Epcot, you can bet someone else will comment about how they have low standards and things were better in the 1980s and other "MY tastes are clearly more refined and nuanced than yours" type talk.

This is exactly what I meant. Thank you. Discussion is good. Differences of a opinion is good. What you have described above is bad.

Two things. 1. Feedback to a company is not what this forum is. 2. What influences the decisions of a company like Disney is money. If people anonymously complain on a website but continue to give Disney their money, Disney will keep on doing what they are doing. That is how they ultimately measure success.

note2001

I disagree that people are intentionally trying to "kill the happy buzz" (and yes, some are far more negative than they need to be, IMO). It's up to you how you react to something. Want to be happy, be happy. It goes both ways. It's not that hard to ignore posts you may not agree with.

And yes, there are many things they're doing at WDW that I'm happy about. I visit the parks still. I don't walk around miserable and nitpick when I'm there.

The point is, most of us SHOULDN'T be nitpicking because WDW shouldn't be at the point that we do nitpick. People act like so many of us just go out of our way to knock on those who like things. No. (Well, maybe some I'd guess). No, it seems to me the ones who want to "be happy" jump on everyone else, derail threads with arguments that make it clear the two sides just aren't going to agree. Again, respect of opinion works both ways.

You can like that hat all you want. You can like Frozen all you want. It doesn't make where they went and where they are going the right places.

I do my best to look at Disney parks with rose colored glasses on while I'm there. I think what ends up bothering me the most these days has more to do with human behavior than the state of the parks. People have just forgotten basic rules of conduct, a *little* bit of it comes from inviting more foreigners in who don't have the same conduct the US expects, but most of it has to do with the self serving aspect of society these days as a whole. // jumping off my soap box as this is not where I wanted to be...

Disney parks started off as an amazing place unlike no other. That's because there were no other "theme parks" to be found. Everything Walt built was amazing. He had a tough time of it having to invent it all, but also had it easy as there was no bar set. FF to today and there are theme parks left and right. Arguably one of the best would be over at Universal. They set the bar high at a time Disney was scrambling to keep their organization profitable cutting jobs, park hours, dropping maintenance... etc. The parks suffered. Disney fans cried at the state of things they once knew dropping. Many flew over to Universal.

Bringing this back to the thread topic for a moment... I believe Disney did want to take down the BAH in 2004, but, I'm making an assumption here... given the cost of doing so opted to retro fit it as a pin store, which was a "successful" transition. Those who knew it was a temporary park decoration I'm sure had the reaction of disbelief and being kicked in the gut. Although I too liked the BAH, I get it. And I'm excited for change and to see Disney wants improvement.

I too made the transition from magical, rose colored glasses to reality, but for me it's not so bad because I've always been a "peek behind the scenes" gal, looking at how the things are built and the people they need to make it run. I raised 3 kids to be the same, and all 3 still love Disney despite the rough patches. Those who want to stay in the fantasy won't like WDWMagic. Those who know it is, and can be, an amazing show will appreciate the approach members here have toward Disney parks. There have been times I wished imagineering had the same critical approach toward ideas you all have.

Phicinfan

That is what is so sad. Because of the way that opinion is expressed on this one, many people have come on excited to learn more about WDW only to be totally petrified by what they have read. Instead of happily looking forward to a visit, (which BTW, can still be a fun experience) they are apprehensive and anxious about the prospect of being disappointed by the way the place has been described as garbage and/or afraid that they will be overwhelmed by imaginary hardships.
No truer post has ever been posted here. Nice job! :)

Kman101

I think that's giving this board a little too much credit in how someone visits the parks. What happened to simply digesting information, going and forming your own opinion? There's too much "group think". Social media is given too much power.

Sage of Time

Thanks for answering the "why". What are the chances they were saved and will be re-attached? The Theater looks much cooler (and more authentic) with them:
http://www.bigbrian-nc.com/0100cont/71112-800.jpg
Personally..... I kinda doubt it. They might have been forgotten about.

That said, TLC *IS* funding the ride now and they would pay attention to close details like that. It would be a pleasant surprise to have them back.

Phicinfan

I guess my question would be ...who are you to decide if someone is wrong if they do like a change or not? Why do you get to decide that?

Yes there are many that love Disney and are willing to take whatever they are given. Some are more choiceful. My issue is those here who are demonstrative to those so positive on Disney and feel they have the right to insult or call them names simply because they are seen as blind faith believers.

While I agree, this is an open forum, and I also agree everyone should and can post how they feel, as it is their opinion, it can and is quite often very insulting to those posters that are very pro-change in disney at this forum.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom