Is Riviera a DVC addition to Caribbean Beach?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What price? The direct price?
Yes...

What DVC has done...on a similar trajectory as the parks...is vastly shrink their customer pool. A DVC contract used to be a “splurge” for many...now it HAS to be done more or less without a second thought.

It still sells...but you never see the glass ceiling till you hit your head.

Blue ocean

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yes...

What DVC has done...on a similar trajectory as the parks...is vastly shrink their customer pool. A DVC contract used to be a “splurge” for many...now it HAS to be done more or less without a second thought.

It still sells...but you never see the glass ceiling till you hit your head.

Blue ocean
Well, isn't it weird that the direct price at Riviera is $188/point, yet Poly is $235, and CC is $210. So they are pricing it LESS than almost every other resort. Now, are any of the direct prices reasonable? Since they sold over 174,000 points for the month of August, covering over 1,350 deeds, at least that many people were willing to pay the prices just in that one month. Value is completely in the eye of the beholder. We still see excellent value in all of our Disney trips, but we understand that some people no longer feel that way.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, isn't it weird that the direct price at Riviera is $188/point, yet Poly is $235, and CC is $210. So they are pricing it LESS than almost every other resort. Now, are any of the direct prices reasonable? Since they sold over 174,000 points for the month of August, covering over 1,350 deeds, at least that many people were willing to pay the prices just in that one month. Value is completely in the eye of the beholder. We still see excellent value in all of our Disney trips, but we understand that some people no longer feel that way.
Are you talking the insane direct resell prices? Those are bat poop crazy and always has been.

Poly is sold, is it not?

Even if it isn’t...the stigma difference between wilderness lodge (and that’s nuts on a DVC level) and poly to the Caribbean motolodge accounts for pricing alone.

I said this (not here) when they announced this: if you want to build moderate DVC...then go all in and price it that way. It would fill it up and force the demand “up the ladder” driving higher occupancy and more demand for new DVC.

So instead...higher prices, higher points per night (relatively), and restrictions on usage for resale?

It’s like a doctor Frankenstein experiment

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
HOLY. Is it really?
Here's the complete list for existing members:

Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas
$176

Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas (Hawaii)
$188

Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Villas
$225

Disney's Beach Club Villas
$225

Disney's BoardWalk Villas
$190

Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
$176

Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
$210

Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort
$121

Disney's Old Key West Resort
$156

Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows
$235

Disney's Riviera Resort
$188

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
$160

Disney's Vero Beach
$110

Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel
$260

Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
$245

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
$188 is way too much...where it is...what it is...and remember that it’s “main draw” isn’t going so well so far...

DVC units always sell well at first due to the zeal of the DVC “hoarders”...relatively speaking

I’m guessing they don’t like the longterm sales outlook at celebration...But that’s just a hunch

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Here's the complete list for existing members:

Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas
$176

Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas (Hawaii)
$188

Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Villas
$225

Disney's Beach Club Villas
$225

Disney's BoardWalk Villas
$190

Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
$176

Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
$210

Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort
$121

Disney's Old Key West Resort
$156

Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows
$235

Disney's Riviera Resort
$188

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
$160

Disney's Vero Beach
$110

Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel
$260

Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
$245
Those are internal used car resells...they’ve always been nuts. Especially if you already have a contract. People who pay Disney for used product like this need a therapist AND a neurosurgeon

Some of those are 40% used up already...and they want 2-3x original retail.

Common sense ain’t that common

correcaminos

Those resorts are sold out. It is highly common to have much higher prices for sold out than current resorts. So comparing it is kind of not wise to do.

Now I love my DVC and have had 15 years of good with it. That said I get the feeling you are defending a little too hard right now. There are discussions on legit DVC forums about negatives popping up. Long time owners are feeling a lot disenchanted and there are signs that DVC is getting close to that glass ceiling.

We've already seen RR come up on resale which will be interesting to watch. I think like the housing crisis, DVC might get their own bubble that might just pop soon. The shift in selling style and focus on financing only with a resort that requires more points than average per room could bite them in the rear.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Umm, please provide proof of that, as the Poly has never been under $100.
Not the poly...

You forget the whole point of DVC is to have the flexibility to move around and not be locked in.

Last year we stayed February, spring break, Labor Day and between Christmas and New Years...GF/Beach, AKL, WL, and Saratoga.

The “gotta own there” is silly. If it’s set weeks and places...it’s just another timeshare

And I don’t owe you proof...it’s an opinion board with the occasional fact “sprinkled” in 🧁

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Those resorts are sold out. It is highly common to have much higher prices for sold out than current resorts. So comparing it is kind of not wise to do.

Now I love my DVC and have had 15 years of good with it. That said I get the feeling you are defending a little too hard right now. There are discussions on legit DVC forums about negatives popping up. Long time owners are feeling a lot disenchanted and there are signs that DVC is getting close to that glass ceiling.

We've already seen RR come up on resale which will be interesting to watch. I think like the housing crisis, DVC might get their own bubble that might just pop soon. The shift in selling style and focus on financing only with a resort that requires more points than average per room could bite them in the rear.
I am most certainly NOT defending those prices. We think they are nuts as well, which is why we'll only be buying resale going forward. I'm sorry that it seemed like I was defending them. But people stating that Riviera sales are not up to expectations, when to this point, it is selling better than CC or Poly did at this point, is simply wrong. Just trying to get the right and correct information out there.

We are also long time owners, and don't feel disenchanted at all. So what kind of things are they disenchanted with?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Not the poly...

You forget the whole point of DVC is to have the flexibility to move around and not be locked in.

Last year we stayed February, spring break, Labor Day and between Christmas and New Years...GF/Beach, AKL, WL, and Saratoga.

The “gotta own there” is silly. If it’s set weeks and places...it’s just another timeshare
Ah, ok, as you replied to a post that talked about the price at Poly.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am most certainly NOT defending those prices. We think they are nuts as well, which is why we'll only be buying resale going forward. I'm sorry that it seemed like I was defending them. But people stating that Riviera sales are not up to expectations, when to this point, it is selling better than CC or Poly did at this point, is simply wrong. Just trying to get the right and correct information out there.

We are also long time owners, and don't feel disenchanted at all. So what kind of things are they disenchanted with?
Moving forward? How deep into this swamp are you 🤪?

But I have to dispute...based on your one comment...that you’re not considering what is being said by that article attributing it TO DVC. It may not be true...but this isn’t a bunch of hacks spitballing about new country pavilions in Epcot...

...that’s all the OTHER threads 😂

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Moving forward? How deep into this swamp are you 🤪?

But I have to dispute...based on your one comment...that you’re not considering what is being said by that article attributing it TO DVC. It may not be true...but this isn’t a bunch of hacks spitballing about new country pavilions in Epcot...

...that’s all the OTHER threads 😂
So your opinion is that since Riviera is selling better than both CC and Poly at this point means that DVC is disappointed in the sales???? On what planet is that true?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
@LuvtheGoof Do you know who does the financing for DVC? Does Disney do it directly? Is it a partnership with a bank? Is it a completely separate entity? I have never, and will never look into adding on directly, so I don't have any knowledge on this subject.

However, I'd hazard a guess that the percentage of buyers financing in 2019 has double or tripled in the last 15-20 years. I can understand buying DVC when it was 15k for a good contract and you could pay that out of pocket. Now though, how many people have 50k lying around?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
@LuvtheGoof Do you know who does the financing for DVC? Does Disney do it directly? Is it a partnership with a bank? Is it a completely separate entity? I have never, and will never look into adding on directly, so I don't have any knowledge on this subject.

However, I'd hazard a guess that the percentage of buyers financing in 2019 has double or tripled in the last 15-20 years. I can understand buying DVC when it was 15k for a good contract and you could pay that out of pocket. Now though, how many people have 50k lying around?
Actually, not having financed, I just don't know. That would be an interesting statistic, though. I will bet that you are right that a lot more are financing the much higher cost.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So your opinion is that since Riviera is selling better than both CC and Poly at this point means that DVC is disappointed in the sales???? On what planet is that true?
Again...I didn’t come up with this idea. Old Pete wrote about. Not claiming it as fact...just saying it seems to be “credible”...that’s the word of the week.

With all due respect...you seem to be taking the contention that DVC is overpriced and that riviera may not be the “best” of ideas too personally. We can disagree in our opinions and still discuss.

Maybe you’ll change my mind🤓

They give three options - I think
1. Cash (only one that makes sense)
2. Private financing
3. Their financing which I believe used to be banks but is now Disney?

You know the rate on theirs? 10%...that’s insane. You’re paying much more for your rooms long after you plugged the toilet and checked out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom