is project gemini dead

General Grizz

Originally posted by Testtrack321
Potter in Epcot just ticks me off. I'm sorry, but World Showcase is supposed to be a FACTUAL representation of the countries, not some make-believe book world! Put it in MGM! NOT EPCOT! It's just not in the Epcot way to have Potter there. It's just like having Monsters Inc at Energy and Toy Story at WoL.

Well agreed.

FigmentJedi

Potter in Epcot just ticks me off. I'm sorry, but World Showcase is supposed to be a FACTUAL representation of the countries, not some make-believe book world! Put it in MGM! NOT EPCOT! It's just not in the Epcot way to have Potter there. It's just like having Monsters Inc at Energy and Toy Story at WoL.
That's the same reasoning that led to the Godzilla ride that was planned for the Japan pavillion to be canceled.:brick: :brick: :brick: WHY, WHY DIDN"T THEY BUILD IT IN MGM INSTEAD?

DarkMeasures

A Gozilla ride? I thought it was going to be a Metterhorn clone on Mount Fuji.

Oh well. A godzilla ride would be cool. Especially with the off dubbing and bad translations.

Snapper Bean

Originally posted by General Grizz
Well agreed.

I agree too but to me its just not that important. I'd rather have great rides that are mis-located, than theme appropriate rides that have no magic.

Snapper Bean

Bill

Account Suspended
World Showcase is a land to display the culture of each country. Not just the reality. I mean, look at the Skulls dancing in El rio del Tiempo. That's not reality, but makes for a charming ride into the culture of Mexico. Harry Potter is becoming more and more "culture" of the United Kingdom. Though, I will say that although Harry Potter has been okayed, I haven't been able to get an exact location as to where it will be located in Epcot.

Something that I just thought of... if Future World would be renamed Discoveryland... it would be interesting to "Discover" the world of Harry Potter. Something there to think about.

Shaman

Originally posted by Bill
Global Neighborhood was closed for Time Racers.

You know I've seen that name pop up so many times this past year...and its been described in soo many ways...but what exactly will TIME RACERS be?

:confused:

PeterAlt

Harry is being planned in WDI. No word yet on placement of the attraction.

Ah, what a better to put it than.... IMAGINATION!!!

I think it would be the perfect replacement for this emabarassing unspiried ride built on the cheap!

PeterAlt

Originally posted by jrriddle
Harry Potter aside, I think that World Showcase needs an overhaul almost as badly as Future World.
As it is right now, it's the "World's Nicest Foodcourt".
It could really use some new pavillions, rides, entertainment, etc.

World Showcase needs DL's version of It's a Small World at its entance! Dare I say two versions of Its a Small World at WDW's at two parks?! Maybe tear out MK's version in the process and use that space for additional dark rides?

General Grizz

It would be cheap to put Potter in Imagination. I mean, can't Disney think of something themselves anymore??

Take Pooh's Hunny Hunt. Make it Figment and Dreamfinder.

That's Disney imagination.

jrriddle

Well, truth be told, we're getting a scaled down version. All I can tell you is, it's a simulator.

Wasn't Microsoft once rumoured as a sponsor for this attraction?

daoVinci

I'm sorry, but World Showcase is supposed to be a FACTUAL representation of the countries, not some make-believe book world!

Oh, you mean like the trolls in the forest in Maelstrom? And Aladdin and Jasmine in Morocco?

Testtrack321

Originally posted by daoVinci
Oh, you mean like the trolls in the forest in Maelstrom? And Aladdin and Jasmine in Morocco?

No, as in what their culture is and was like. Trolls were a believed part of the world for Norway for a long time. Potter is a cultural phanomenon, but it isn't even close to the lenght it needs to be IMHO to be added to a country. It's like a Pokemon ride in Japan, it's just a cheap addition that dosn't describe the country's history, past, or beliefes, it's just to cash in on a franchise and throwing it down as a quick fix to WS. As for Potter in Discoveryland, I can also discover other countires, couldn't I? But wait, we have another part of the park for that! Future World is for science, technology, and the human body/brain. No ride in Epcot should be based upon a standing franchise of characters that Disney owns. That's why ToN was amazing. That's why M:S is amazing. That's why Figment is so loved. They are new, creative, and unique. Place M:S in Tomorrowland, and you loose a lot. Put Figment in Disneyland and part of the character is lost. I believe A LOT in this idea that Epcot is seperate from the other parks. Epcot is supposed to be different. It's not supposed to have character parades or character rides. It's supposed to stand own its own as a unique place to visit. There are 5 other Magic Kingdoms, but only ONE Epcot. Sure, characters should be in the park, but they are not the main focus.

cloudboy

It's the focus issue again. Th elittlest bit of panic sets in, and they try to throw all the successful quick fixes they can at the problem. Thus we see Living Seas becoming a Nemo attraction, and everyone talks about putting a Harry Potter attraction in World Showcase.

Magic Kingdom should be for the disney Charaters, Studios for Non-disney and live action charaters and themes, Epcot for educational/cultural (park for the grown ups) and Animal Kingdom for teh animals.

If you look at the magic kingdom, only Fantasyland ever really had much for rides based on actual movies - everything else was original. I think they need to focus on orriginal rides, not just remakes of movies.

jrriddle

Well, as much as I dislike Potter and really dislike the idea of him being in Epcot. I am interested in what the Imagineers will come up with.
I'm hoping for some sort of broomstick ride.
A picture of my girlfriend on a broom stick: Priceless

daoVinci

Originally posted by cloudboy
Magic Kingdom should be for the disney Charaters, Studios for Non-disney and live action charaters and themes, Epcot for educational/cultural (park for the grown ups) and Animal Kingdom for teh animals.

I'll agree with that, for the most part. Except for Epcot being a park for Grown ups. Walt was pretty adamant about Disney maintaining a focus on the entire family. Perhaps Potter might fit in better in MGM...but I'm not sure where. MGM is more of a "moviemaking experience" concept with a strong Hollywood setting. It would be a difficult fit just about anywhere.

I'm more concerned with the ride itself more than the placement at this point. A "suspended dark ride" where you "fly your Nimbus" over england sounds suspiciously like a Peter Pan clone. I'll just hold out hope for the "Most Advaced" claim and put my faith in the Imagineers.

If you look at the magic kingdom, only Fantasyland ever really had much for rides based on actual movies - everything else was original. I think they need to focus on orriginal rides, not just remakes of movies.

I agree, but you can't COMPLETELY stop putting in movie tie-ins. Just make sure the ride (or attraction) concept is original.

Michael72688

I really think if Disney adds more characters to Epcot, which they should, they could pull a lot more families into Epcot compared to the numbers of families they have now

jrriddle

From Mouse Planet Mar 15, 2004

It is Time Racers, thought not what it once was
Last week, we reported the closure of the AT&T Global Neighborhood and speculated as to whether it was a straight rehab or the installation of the rumored Time Racers post-show. Word is leaking out of Imagineering that it is indeed Time Racers. Time Racers, originally planned as a Spider-Man-type of attraction to run through what is now and will continue to be Spaceship Earth, has been re-Imagineered as a simulator-based post-show.

Damn...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom