Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

larandtra

Just a thought, and bear with me a moment. Im by no means a Disney apologist for management, but, Something I see a lot with people who are die hard fans of anything ( sports teams, TV shows, Movies, companies, Phones, Parks, etc), fan comes form the term fanatic and sometimes we all think we could do better than what we are provided with or have expectations which are not in line with reality at least from a business perspective. As with any company there are financial decisions which have to be made, choices on where to spend money and how to allocate time and efforts into projects. There is no doubt that Disney park fans are certainly passionate and sometimes even without all of the information, correct in their assertions. As a group I think we come up with some great discussion points and what if or maybe they could scenarios. I would love to see many of them come to fruition. I think some will. But, I temper my passion with a realistic expectation since I do not see the financials or know the costs associated with projects. I dont always agree with the direction or choices made, but, being that I do not know details, it is hard for me to pass judgement on someone elses hard work and efforts, especially a group of people who do so much to try and make things perfect for guests. Maybe upper doesnt listen to middle management often enough. Maybe there are direction issues due to too many voices in the room at times. There are certainly lots of questions I have about the inner workings and that is even with knowing people in middle and upper management at Both Disney and Universal and having business dealings with both companies. I know they treat their vendors well and while not everyone there is full of pixie dust and thrilled, they do a good job of TRYING to get it right. Most in Middle and Upper care a great deal about what happens with the company and how well their efforts are received by the guests. Yep, many mistakes have been made, but, when the right person ( or team of people led by the right person) is given more authority to do it Walts way, the right way, and the focus of that person is specifically the parks, not just the company on a whole concentrating on the film and entertainment aspect, THEN things will start to shift the way I think most Disney fans and park attendees want to see it go. Based on rumblings, Lots of changes/Shifts in some key management positions, Some voices pushing from certain parties to be given more "control" of the park side of the company, I believe that day is quickly approaching. Fingers crossed.

CJR

They should have built a 3rd ride in Pandora.

We'll say the same thing in two years at DHS.

I agree, but at least DHS has the Mickey ride opening in the same park that year. Part of Pandora's problem is these were the first two new rides since Everest and there's also nothing opening anytime soon. It'll be an issue at DAK for quite some time.

I've actually wondered if that's why the Mickey ride was pushed so quickly. They saw what was happening at DAK and were like "How can we avoid this in the future?" Should have been pretty obvious. Even with the Mickey ride though, SWL will be much crazier at DHS than at DL.

drizgirl

I agree, but at least DHS has the Mickey ride opening in the same park that year. Part of Pandora's problem is these were the first two new rides since Everest and there's also nothing opening anytime soon. It'll be an issue at DAK for quite some time.

I've actually wondered if that's why the Mickey ride was pushed so quickly. They saw what was happening at DAK and were like "How can we avoid this in the future?" Should have been pretty obvious. Even with the Mickey ride though, SWL will be much crazier at DHS than at DL.
But the Mickey ride is just replacing capacity lost when GMR closed. They need more attraction capacity in that park almost as much as they needed new attractions.

Last edited:

CJR

But the Mickey ride is just replacing capacity lost GMR closed. They need more attraction capacity in that park almost as much as they needed new attractions.

I get what you're saying, and you're not wrong, but there a couple points. First, GMR rarely operated at capacity (I'll argue that it should have been, but due to mismanagement, only gangster scenes were used). Second, I'd imagine there will be longer waits for the Mickey ride than GMR, meaning more people in queue. So, that should balance out a bit more. Not that I consider waiting in line a good thing, but it's still less people on the streets.

Toy Story Land will also be new still in 2019, so that'll help eat things up some. I know people don't like TSL (I'm bitter about it too), but I think the average guest will eat it up like they do everything. So, that's five newish rides in 2019, compared to DAK's two.

drizgirl

I get what you're saying, and you're not wrong, but there a couple points. First, GMR rarely operated at capacity (I'll argue that it should have been, but due to mismanagement, only gangster scenes were used). Second, I'd imagine there will be longer waits for the Mickey ride than GMR, meaning more people in queue. So, that should balance out a bit more. Not that I consider waiting in line a good thing, but it's still less people on the streets.

Toy Story Land will also be new still in 2019, so that'll help eat things up some. I know people don't like TSL (I'm bitter about it too), but I think the average guest will eat it up like they do everything. So, that's five newish rides in 2019, compared to DAK's two.
And I get what you're saying. But there were other things closed initially at DHS as well. (Backlot tour and Lights Motors Action). It's not like this is all suddenly new capacity over what was available before this all started.

SoManyWasps

But the Mickey ride is just replacing capacity lost when GMR closed. They need more attraction capacity in that park almost as much as they needed new attractions.
I hate to say something so basic, but both Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom need an omnimover. A solid C-Ticket with huge capacity that can eat crowds by drawing them in with a solid theme, placed far away from the busiest rides in each respective park.

drizgirl

I hate to say something so basic, but both Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom need an omnimover. A solid C-Ticket with huge capacity that can eat crowds by drawing them in with a solid theme, placed far away from the busiest rides in each respective park.
I agree. As long as it's not to replace something they shutter for 5 years before opening the new attraction.

trainplane3

My wife and I were down this past weekend 2 of the 4 theaters were down we were told. We got in line at 3:40 and got out at 7:20. The person in front of me was a Seahawks fan and watched the entire game against the Texans on his phone before he got on the ride. This is just awful.

This thread seems to have been hijacked from Indiana Jones so I might as well chime in here. My wife and I are approaching senior status and have been Disney nuts for a long time having been well over 50 times and are annual passholders. I remember the awe and wonder I felt when Epcot opened, I loved all the slow moving omnimover rides but more importantly they were people eaters. Now all the new rides are slow loading and make for impossible waits. Long gone are the days when we used to go in September and October and literally walk onto rides. This weekend we waited close to 4 hours for FOP, 2 hours for Navi River. In Magic Kingdom we waited 2.5 hours for 7 Dwarfs.

The point is I am a lifelong Disney fanatic and this weekend almost broke me. If this were my first time, going now, no matter the age I would never want to come back. There was no "magic" just long, long waits. I follow all the forums and knew Navi River was short and lacking a climax but my wife did not. After the AA she said is that it? The AA really should have been in the middle leading to a spectacular second half of the ride leading to a climax with the tree the Navi worship.

The young crowd will call me old for this but what Disney needs are more large capacity continuous loading rides to take the burden off these slow loading thrill rides. Just my 2 cents.
First off: Get out of the slow lane you old fart. :p
Second: I completely agree. I want something on the same level as Haunted Mansion, Journey into Imagination, or Horizons. Not every ride at Disney needs to be a thrill ride. A new Omnimover ride would be so nice to have. I've gotten to the point where if it's over an hour wait, I don't ride it. Mainly because I'll be back there at the most, one year and can assign a fastpass to it then. I couldn't see waiting 2.5 hours for 7D. I still haven't rode it yet. Not exciting enough for a coaster, too short for a coaster, but very well themed.
They should have built a 3rd ride in Pandora.

We'll say the same thing in two years at DHS.
I'm straight up avoiding the mess over there for at least a year. Avatar was one thing but Star Wars is going to be a whole new level of mess. No matter how much prep is being done, I don't think it's going be to a smooth ride. Also, the land is going to be bigger. A lot bigger.

SoManyWasps

I'm straight up avoiding the mess over there for at least a year. Avatar was one thing but Star Wars is going to be a whole new level of mess. No matter how much prep is being done, I don't think it's going be to a smooth ride. Also, the land is going to be bigger. A lot bigger.
Truthfully, I plan on avoiding the stateside parks in a significant way until at least 2023/2024. Might do a weekend getaway or a run, but even that doesn't sound super appealing at the moment. Too much construction. Too many hot new things opening up. Crowds are going to be insane and I truthfully don't expect SW:GE or Pandora or Anaheim's eventual Marvel offerings being enjoyable for me until then at least. I think Tokyo will be next for me and my SO, as a combo Disney/World Culture trip.

CJR

And I get what you're saying. But there were other things closed initially at DHS as well. (Backlot tour and Lights Motors Action). It's not like this is all suddenly new capacity over what was available before this all started.

Right, but those were pretty much never at their capacity. The new attractions will make up for the lost capacity, but I do think they'll still expand on it some. Think about all the people just shopping around, eating, and having fun with live entertainment/side adventures, etc. It's still a step up. Not as big of a step as it should have been, but DHS should still be better handled than DAK was in terms of guests having a chance to experience the new stuff.

I'm not trying to diss DAK either, it's a great park. It's just people love new stuff and made it next to impossible for others to experience it without outrageous waits. It'll be busy, for sure, but I think you'll be able to score a fastpass to at least one of the five newer rides in 2019. There's still a chance for a new show too, fingers crossed.

lazyboy97o

Second, I'd imagine there will be longer waits for the Mickey ride than GMR, meaning more people in queue. So, that should balance out a bit more. Not that I consider waiting in line a good thing, but it's still less people on the streets.
How many people a queue holds is a function of the attraction capacity. Depending on the hourly capacity, an attraction with long waits can serve fewer people than one with short waits. Disney has also been implementing operational changes to increase crowding, further reducing the reliability of wait times as a metric.

EPCOTCenterLover

Agree- unfortunately (and I'm one of them)- I have gotten into the mindset that Omnimover automatically means E Ticket.

JoeCamel

Just build Tokyo's indy where the indy show sits in DHS. It's the same layout, sure, but people wouldn't notice. And it adds a high-capacity ride in a park that needs any kind of ride at all.
But but they are replacing rides with other rides so they may or may not change capacity.
We do know that they are replacing rides.

doctornick

More theatres aren't marketable. The gloves are coming off in Orlando for the next decade.

Ideally of course we would get additional capacity and a new headliner E ticket.

Could you expand at all? Is there actual stuff to be optimistic about for WDW beyond what we already know. The context of this quote makes me think that it is related to WDW actually getting attention but now I'm wandering if the "gloves coming off" is Uni charging forward.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom