Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

Movielover

When are they going to anounce that dinosaur is staying.

tenor.gif

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
In the case of Mystic Manor, the monkey is no more than a supporting character to the antics in the manor. The key storyline revolves around the magical music box and the spell it places on the artifacts. The monkey could easily have been replaced with a human character- a bumbling housekeeper for example- without changing the attraction at all. The sole animal character in Mystic Manor is an incidental story element but not a defining part of the attraction. That is not the case with Pandora or Expedition Everest.
It wouldn't be as cute without the monkey.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Mystic Manor is in a mini land called Mystic Point in Hong Kong Disneyland, a monkey accidentally opens a magic chest and it makes the contents of the house(many items collected from adventures by the owner from around the world). So you go through many different rooms where the statues, paintings, weapons, etc are all alive. The situation gets worse until the chest is finally closed. It’s a brilliant ride, one of the best, it’d be great if it came to Orlando, but it would fit in Magic Kingdom not Animal Kingdom.

The thing is Zootopia just isn’t about animals or nature, and they could probably make a ride that is that uses Zootopia, but then they could just use any IP.
If you put it in MK, then the monkey would have to be replaced by Stitch.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
There are three themes to the Animal Kingdom:
  • The intrinsic and superior value of nature - this means that nature, above all else is at the forefront of the design. This leads to parts of the park being out of their true control (live animals, overgrown pathways, etc.).
  • Transformation through adventure - this idea is that adventure changes people when they experience something they've never experienced before.
  • Personal call to action - a sense of responsibility for the animals and the conservation message.
Well, the "personal call to action" in an AK "Mystic Manor" ride could be "don't mess with magic boxes."

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
meanwhile, back at the ranch...
frozen in norway / star wars at disneyland / guardians in uoe / tangled at tds / pixar on a pier
- proof positive that with any justification at all (or not, really) it can be made to 'fit'

not to halt the debate on whether or not it belongs, of course... jus throwin it out there
Especially considering that all the Disney theme parks have a new theme: "Let's Make Money With This Thing!"

Haymarket2008

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the theming in relation to Animal Kingdom.

Attractions at Animal Kingdom should be primarily about animals of the past and present, and of the mythical. There should also be a theme of conservation and not over-exploiting resources when it comes to nature in the present day.

Many of the attractions have a sense of adventure to them, this isn’t at theme, it’s just a method to make sure it’s edutainment rather than just education(as adventure triggers a sense of excitement and fun). So you can’t make a ride of the base of adventure, as it is only an addition to enhance rides.

Good aesthetics are crucial in creating a good ride, but it doesn’t mean correct themes, they are just used to integrate themes into lands.

So, onto how certain current rides and rumors of new rides fit or don’t fit those themes:

Dino-rama is only there as they needed extra attractions but didn’t have much cash - for the funds they had I honestly don’t think they did that bad. But anyway, this area should be scrapped, but not the Dinosaur theme, as it’s a key part of Animal Kingdom(the fact that it’s animals of the past and it shows that one major event can be catastrophic to ecosystems - highlighting the effects of things like global warming may have in the future).

So, Indy on his own can’t work. It may possibly be able to retheme Dinosaur to maintain it’s major theme and include this major IP, but the ride is already popular, so that’s fairly useless. But it’s most likely that Disney would just not care and shove in a South America area, with an Indy ride and the rest of the land that doesn’t fit within Animal Kingdom.

Expedition Everest provides a major thrill, which is required, while satisfying the mythical aspect of the overall themes - it fit.

Pandora is the perfect use of IP within Animal Kingdom. The attractions within the land don’t really represent the themes, they just satisfy the need for fun and amazingly themed attractions within the land. But Avatar is really not even about the mythical aspect, but the present aspect. The moon Pandora quite obviously represents Earth; everyone sees how there are aliens and assume it’s just sci-fi, but it’s so Earth like that you may as well call it Earth. The only things that aren’t Earth like are the banshees and the interconnection between every living thing.

So, the themes of Avatar are to respect and not exploit nature, and conservation, as this is really about Earth, we can just say that these themes relate to Earth, and so the film is perfect for Animal Kingdom.

The rides don’t directly relate to these themes, but it doesn’t matter, as there is a sense of these themes present in the land, as everyone there knows the film and relate the rides to them.

Mystic Manor would fit aesthetically, as people have stated, but, as previously stated, good aesthetics doesn’t mean correct themes, they are just used to integrate themes into lands. So it wouldn’t fit in it’s current state, but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t change the storyline enough for it to work, but knowing Disney, they would just want to copy the ride straight to Orlando, in which case it would make much more sense in Magic Kingdom.

That’s it, I think.

EDIT:

Zootopia wouldn’t fit, as they are just anthropomorphic animals playing out entirely human situations, it is essentially a human story, just like Avatar is really about nature on Earth.

People tend to ignore underlying themes. Zootopia has nothing to do with animals, other than that characters look like them. People see that and assume it should go straight into Animal Kingdom, it shouldn’t.

People see that Avatar has big blue people and is set on another world, they see that as the theme, and don’t look beneath that(I say beneath that but it really is quite obvious). It’s entirely about nature on Earth, and respecting and conserving it, so fits in Animal Kingdom.

This this this this this.

Disney Maddux

frozen in norway / star wars at disneyland / guardians in uoe / tangled at tds / pixar on a pier
- proof positive that with any justification at all (or not, really) it can be made to 'fit'

not to halt the debate on whether or not it belongs, of course... jus throwin it out there
*is it bad that this is what I was going to say to people that said Zootopia doesn't belong in DAK?*

PorterRedkey

Has Epcot's dedication stopped what has been done to that park?

Is that a reason to encourage the downfall of another park?

The dedication says nothing specifically that declares conservation as a point, but does mention balance and survival. Those two themes have a lot to do with conservation.

It speaks mostly of animals, real, ancient and imagined while also speaking of "sharing in the wonder" and to "thrill at the drama" with a final encouragement to learn.

The only thing that is stated for sure is that is about animals. Everything else is kind of wishy-washy. Maybe even intentionally, so they can have an easy time shoehorning things in AK.
akplaque_glover.jpg

Last edited:

rle4lunch

I think ya'll are overthinking all this WAY too much.

And for those who think that Disney is only now trying to "make money off this thing", I believe that ship sailed nearly 100 years ago when Walt started this whole endeavor with a mouse. I can guarantee that he didn't start his empire with philanthropic interests on his mind.

PorterRedkey

• The intrinsic and superior value of nature - this means that nature, above all else is at the forefront of the design. This leads to parts of the park being out of their true control (live animals, overgrown pathways, etc.).
  • Transformation through adventure - this idea is that adventure changes people when they experience something they've never experienced before.
  • Personal call to action - a sense of responsibility for the animals and the conservation message.
Is that from Joe Rohde? It seems like I have at least heard him repeat those points, even if they aren't his own original statements.

BenJacobs

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the theming in relation to Animal Kingdom.

Attractions at Animal Kingdom should be primarily about animals of the past and present, and of the mythical. There should also be a theme of conservation and not over-exploiting resources when it comes to nature in the present day.

Many of the attractions have a sense of adventure to them, this isn’t at theme, it’s just a method to make sure it’s edutainment rather than just education(as adventure triggers a sense of excitement and fun). So you can’t make a ride of the base of adventure, as it is only an addition to enhance rides.

Good aesthetics are crucial in creating a good ride, but it doesn’t mean correct themes, they are just used to integrate themes into lands.

So, onto how certain current rides and rumors of new rides fit or don’t fit those themes:

Dino-rama is only there as they needed extra attractions but didn’t have much cash - for the funds they had I honestly don’t think they did that bad. But anyway, this area should be scrapped, but not the Dinosaur theme, as it’s a key part of Animal Kingdom(the fact that it’s animals of the past and it shows that one major event can be catastrophic to ecosystems - highlighting the effects of things like global warming may have in the future).

So, Indy on his own can’t work. It may possibly be able to retheme Dinosaur to maintain it’s major theme and include this major IP, but the ride is already popular, so that’s fairly useless. But it’s most likely that Disney would just not care and shove in a South America area, with an Indy ride and the rest of the land that doesn’t fit within Animal Kingdom.

Expedition Everest provides a major thrill, which is required, while satisfying the mythical aspect of the overall themes - it fit.

Pandora is the perfect use of IP within Animal Kingdom. The attractions within the land don’t really represent the themes, they just satisfy the need for fun and amazingly themed attractions within the land. But Avatar is really not even about the mythical aspect, but the present aspect. The moon Pandora quite obviously represents Earth; everyone sees how there are aliens and assume it’s just sci-fi, but it’s so Earth like that you may as well call it Earth. The only things that aren’t Earth like are the banshees and the interconnection between every living thing.

So, the themes of Avatar are to respect and not exploit nature, and conservation, as this is really about Earth, we can just say that these themes relate to Earth, and so the film is perfect for Animal Kingdom.

The rides don’t directly relate to these themes, but it doesn’t matter, as there is a sense of these themes present in the land, as everyone there knows the film and relate the rides to them.

Mystic Manor would fit aesthetically, as people have stated, but, as previously stated, good aesthetics doesn’t mean correct themes, they are just used to integrate themes into lands. So it wouldn’t fit in it’s current state, but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t change the storyline enough for it to work, but knowing Disney, they would just want to copy the ride straight to Orlando, in which case it would make much more sense in Magic Kingdom.

That’s it, I think.

EDIT:

Zootopia wouldn’t fit, as they are just anthropomorphic animals playing out entirely human situations, it is essentially a human story, just like Avatar is really about nature on Earth.

People tend to ignore underlying themes. Zootopia has nothing to do with animals, other than that characters look like them. People see that and assume it should go straight into Animal Kingdom, it shouldn’t.

People see that Avatar has big blue people and is set on another world, they see that as the theme, and don’t look beneath that(I say beneath that but it really is quite obvious). It’s entirely about nature on Earth, and respecting and conserving it, so fits in Animal Kingdom.

RSoxNo1

Well, the "personal call to action" in an AK "Mystic Manor" ride could be "don't mess with magic boxes."
There's a lot of S.E.A. "lessons" where messing with Magic items have bad consequences. I'm not quite sure that's in line with Animal Kingdom, but I could see it as a future Exploration theme in Epcot. Having said that, I still vote Adventureland for Mystic Manor.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There's a lot of S.E.A. "lessons" where messing with Magic items have bad consequences. I'm not quite sure that's in line with Animal Kingdom, but I could see it as a future Exploration theme in Epcot. Having said that, I still vote Adventureland for Mystic Manor.

Normally I'd be with you except I've recently come to the conclusion that unless anything new to the MK comes with opening up a new swath of real estate, then anything new is just begging for MK to be even more crowded. Thus, I'd be looking for a non-MK place for Mystic Manor.

A pure clone would fit right next to ToT thematically with only tweaking the exterior to make it fit an L.A./Hollywood theme. Although, MMRR and Battle Escape are also leveraging the LPS dark ride systems.

In DAK, you'd need to retell the story to make it about animals. Imagine a Museum of Natural History type of animal dioramas coming to life, especially extinct species (that aren't dinosaurs).

In Epcot, replace the monkey with Figment and 'an imagination running wild'...

lazyboy97o

When are they going to anounce that dinosaur is staying.
No such announcement would be made. Unfortunately you are not going to get the reassure you desire. You really would be better off trying to ignore and forget about this thread as much as possible. If the attraction is ever to be closed then that will be announced.

The dedication says nothing specifically that declares conservation as a point, but does mention balance and survival. Those two themes have a lot to do with conservation.

It speaks mostly of animals, real ancient and imaged while also speaking of "sharing in the wonder" and to "thrill at the drama" with a final encouragement to learn.

The only thing that is stated for sure is that is about animals. Everything else is kind of wishy-washy. Maybe even intentionally, so they can have an easy time shoehorning things in AK.
akplaque_glover.jpg
What is with the sudden obsession of dedication plaques? Joe Rhode has spoken extensively about the park, far more than a few words written for Michael Eisner to quickly repeat one day.

PorterRedkey

No such announcement would be made. Unfortunately you are not going to get the reassure you desire. You really would be better off trying to ignore and forget about this thread as much as possible. If the attraction is ever to be closed then that will be announced.

What is with the sudden obsession of dedication plaques? Joe Rhode has spoken extensively about the park, far more than a few words written for Michael Eisner to quickly repeat one day.
People have been referring to the dedication, so I thought it might be smart to look at what it actually says. Disney's spin can be put on what DAK is many years after it opened. The dedication plaque shows the original intent. Same with Epcot. IMHO AK's dedication is purposely vague except for the animal part. I believe this was so they were not as locked in as they were with Epcot (not that they care now).

BenJacobs

I heard on one rumor on this forum that dinosaur might be changed back to coutdown to extinction is that a rumor

I don’t know if that’s a rumour, but I highly doubt that would ever happen, as it’d be a useless change. The only thing that would be changing is the name, and that means nothing, so why would they even put thought into such a useless change.

TeriofTerror

Disney has adopted the Ugly Stepsister Approach: "I'll make it fit!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom