Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

peter11435

in all fairness, Mystic Manor is not the same as bringing Marvel superheroes to DAK...
Not necessarily a downfall to the park with Indy or Lord Henry Mystic if done properly...
Bringing it to the park in its current form would be the start of an erosion of thematic continuity for DAK. Which would absolutely be a downfall for the park. If the story and theme is reimagined to belong in the park then it could work, but then you’re not really getting MM you’re getting a new experience.

And visually both IPs fit the look and feel of the park.

Setting is not theme.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Sounds like someone's been hitting the Armchair Imagineering stuff a little hard.

Besides, they got the Stunt Show/Star Tours area they can convert into an Indy land. Use the space that was originally going to be Galaxy's Edge.

If only. Martin recently said Star Tours replacement will be a standalone overlay and not part of a larger IP-land. Though I'm still holding out the smallest of hope that someone see's Indy's potential in DHS and reverses decision on a few things.

Disney Maddux

If only. Martin recently said Star Tours replacement will be a standalone overlay and not part of a larger IP-land. Though I'm still holding out the smallest of hope that someone see's Indy's potential in DHS and reverses decision on a few things.
Something I could see is the return of the Roger Rabbit ride, since it was going to be the same ride-type as Star Tours.

MrHappy

I love DAK and I love Indiana Jones (this nearly became my name, no word of a lie).

However, I do not like Indiana Jones in DAK.

I love the Dinosaur aspect of DAK, however I wish it was executed better. With a complete overhaul of the dinosaurland in DAK, it could have SO much potential.

I personally feel Indiana Jones should be in HWS or Adventureland in MK.
Any chance that this wasn't the original spin on dino's considering the cross-town Park? Although, I'm sure we'll have people claim budget and Disney went cheap with the roadside carnival. Still, a jurassic land seems a bit "me too." No?
And, I totally agree about Indy in HS!

Bocabear

Bringing it to the park in its current form would be the start of an erosion of thematic continuity for DAK. Which would absolutely be a downfall for the park. If the story and theme is reimagined to belong in the park then it could work, but then you’re not really getting MM you’re getting a new experience.

Setting is not theme.
they are not mutually exclusive... Setting does indeed support and create theme.... MM Doesn't have to be changed at all...except maybe add more things to tie it in on the exterior... A screwball collector and adventurer's outpost home... deep in the jungles of remote Asia...Seems a far easier fit to the park than Chester and Hester... And what exactly does Everest bring to the conservation story... It is all setting and theme, beautifully rendered... No reason Lord Mystic cannot coexist in a park with a mythical Yeti, Live dinosaurs, talking bugs and blue people from outer space...

peter11435

they are not mutually exclusive... Setting does indeed support and create theme.... MM Doesn't have to be changed at all...except maybe add more things to tie it in on the exterior... A screwball collector and adventurer's outpost home... deep in the jungles of remote Asia...Seems a far easier fit to the park than Chester and Hester... And what exactly does Everest bring to the conservation story... It is all setting and theme, beautifully rendered... No reason Lord Mystic cannot coexist in a park with a mythical Yeti, Live dinosaurs, talking bugs and blue people from outer space...
Setting does indeed support theme as does every other element of proper themed entertainment. Setting itself does not create theme and setting itself is not theme.

An unchanged MM does not fit the theme of DAK with or without additional exterior adornments. Adventure is not the parks theme, there’s a different park for that. Jungle, Asia, remote, etc are not themes.

The parks theme is not conservation either. Everything you mention in your last sentences does in fact fit the theme. A rich collector and his michievous anthropomorphized monkey... do not.

GlacierGlacier

I agree, though Adventureland already seems more than full, and capacity is more necessary in DAK
With the 21+ million visitors a year, MK really, really needs a hourly/capacity boost to handle the visitors. It's grown several million since the last addition, and it doesn't seem to be stopping.

I agree that DAK needs more, but it manages to respectably handle crowds and wait times much better than MK does.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Mystic Manor is much more fantastical/whimsical than anything so far in Animal Kingdom. Animal kingdom is mostly grounded in legitimate but sometimes fun presentations of animals, species, or culture. Mystic Manor is largely fictional/mystical and unlike Pandora doesn't have a larger world to build off of for placemaking.

You could theoretically turn it into more of a museum ride, where the artifacts presented are legitimately from locations like SEA, but you'd have to strip away much of the premise (magic music box, adventure monkey, etc) in order to make it feel cohesive. It's a cool experience, but not suitable for Animal Kingdom.
Inconsistency alert.
A ride where a monkey is the chief antagonist is not suitable for a place called "Animal Kingdom"...
But a whole land based on a mythical planet and its mythical, civilized inhabitants is?
As is a ride celebrating around another mythical animal that guards a mysterious mountain...

Bocabear

Inconsistency alert.
A ride where a monkey is the chief antagonist is not suitable for a place called "Animal Kingdom"...
But a whole land based on a mythical planet and its mythical, civilized inhabitants is?
As is a ride celebrating around another mythical animal that guards a mysterious mountain...
Exactly my point! What the heck... Conservation is not the theme of the park? Then why does Pandora even fit then?
If the park theme is animals real or imagined like the Yeti and the Blue people, then certainly a monkey with mischeif on his mind fits...
I guess I am missing what the defining point is between these things that makes it so wrong....

peter11435

Exactly my point! What the heck... Conservation is not the theme of the park? Then why does Pandora even fit then?
If the park theme is animals real or imagined like the Yeti and the Blue people, then certainly a monkey with mischeif on his mind fits...
I guess I am missing what the defining point is between these things that makes it so wrong....
Yes. You are clearly missing what the theme of the park is.

ThemeParkTraveller

In the case of Mystic Manor, the monkey is no more than a supporting character to the antics in the manor. The key storyline revolves around the magical music box and the spell it places on the artifacts. The monkey could easily have been replaced with a human character- a bumbling housekeeper for example- without changing the attraction at all. The sole animal character in Mystic Manor is an incidental story element but not a defining part of the attraction. That is not the case with Pandora or Expedition Everest.

BenJacobs

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the theming in relation to Animal Kingdom.

Attractions at Animal Kingdom should be primarily about animals of the past and present, and of the mythical. There should also be a theme of conservation and not over-exploiting resources when it comes to nature in the present day.

Many of the attractions have a sense of adventure to them, this isn’t at theme, it’s just a method to make sure it’s edutainment rather than just education(as adventure triggers a sense of excitement and fun). So you can’t make a ride of the base of adventure, as it is only an addition to enhance rides.

Good aesthetics are crucial in creating a good ride, but it doesn’t mean correct themes, they are just used to integrate themes into lands.

So, onto how certain current rides and rumors of new rides fit or don’t fit those themes:

Dino-rama is only there as they needed extra attractions but didn’t have much cash - for the funds they had I honestly don’t think they did that bad. But anyway, this area should be scrapped, but not the Dinosaur theme, as it’s a key part of Animal Kingdom(the fact that it’s animals of the past and it shows that one major event can be catastrophic to ecosystems - highlighting the effects of things like global warming may have in the future).

So, Indy on his own can’t work. It may possibly be able to retheme Dinosaur to maintain it’s major theme and include this major IP, but the ride is already popular, so that’s fairly useless. But it’s most likely that Disney would just not care and shove in a South America area, with an Indy ride and the rest of the land that doesn’t fit within Animal Kingdom.

Expedition Everest provides a major thrill, which is required, while satisfying the mythical aspect of the overall themes - it fit.

Pandora is the perfect use of IP within Animal Kingdom. The attractions within the land don’t really represent the themes, they just satisfy the need for fun and amazingly themed attractions within the land. But Avatar is really not even about the mythical aspect, but the present aspect. The moon Pandora quite obviously represents Earth; everyone sees how there are aliens and assume it’s just sci-fi, but it’s so Earth like that you may as well call it Earth. The only things that aren’t Earth like are the banshees and the interconnection between every living thing.

So, the themes of Avatar are to respect and not exploit nature, and conservation, as this is really about Earth, we can just say that these themes relate to Earth, and so the film is perfect for Animal Kingdom.

The rides don’t directly relate to these themes, but it doesn’t matter, as there is a sense of these themes present in the land, as everyone there knows the film and relate the rides to them.

Mystic Manor would fit aesthetically, as people have stated, but, as previously stated, good aesthetics doesn’t mean correct themes, they are just used to integrate themes into lands. So it wouldn’t fit in it’s current state, but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t change the storyline enough for it to work, but knowing Disney, they would just want to copy the ride straight to Orlando, in which case it would make much more sense in Magic Kingdom.

That’s it, I think.

EDIT:

Zootopia wouldn’t fit, as they are just anthropomorphic animals playing out entirely human situations, it is essentially a human story, just like Avatar is really about nature on Earth.

People tend to ignore underlying themes. Zootopia has nothing to do with animals, other than that characters look like them. People see that and assume it should go straight into Animal Kingdom, it shouldn’t.

People see that Avatar has big blue people and is set on another world, they see that as the theme, and don’t look beneath that(I say beneath that but it really is quite obvious). It’s entirely about nature on Earth, and respecting and conserving it, so fits in Animal Kingdom.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom