Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

Disney Maddux

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the theming in relation to Animal Kingdom.

Attractions at Animal Kingdom should be primarily about animals of the past and present, and of the mythical. There should also be a theme of conservation and not over-exploiting resources when it comes to nature in the present day.

Many of the attractions have a sense of adventure to them, this isn’t at theme, it’s just a method to make sure it’s edutainment rather than just education(as adventure triggers a sense of excitement and fun). So you can’t make a ride of the base of adventure, as it is only an addition to enhance rides.

Good aesthetics are crucial in creating a good ride, but it doesn’t mean correct themes, they are just used to integrate themes into lands.

So, onto how certain current rides and rumors of new rides fit or don’t fit those themes:

Dino-rama is only there as they needed extra attractions but didn’t have much cash - for the funds they had I honestly don’t think they did that bad. But anyway, this area should be scrapped, but not the Dinosaur theme, as it’s a key part of Animal Kingdom(the fact that it’s animals of the past and it shows that one major event can be catastrophic to ecosystems - highlighting the effects of things like global warming may have in the future).

So, Indy on his own can’t work. It may possibly be able to retheme Dinosaur to maintain it’s major theme and include this major IP, but the ride is already popular, so that’s fairly useless. But it’s most likely that Disney would just not care and shove in a South America area, with an Indy ride and the rest of the land that doesn’t fit within Animal Kingdom.

Expedition Everest provides a major thrill, which is required, while satisfying the mythical aspect of the overall themes - it fit.

Pandora is the perfect use of IP within Animal Kingdom. The attractions within the land don’t really represent the themes, they just satisfy the need for fun and amazingly themed attractions within the land. But Avatar is really not even about the mythical aspect, but the present aspect. The moon Pandora quite obviously represents Earth; everyone sees how there are aliens and assume it’s just sci-fi, but it’s so Earth like that you may as well call it Earth. The only things that aren’t Earth like are the banshees and the interconnection between every living thing.

So, the themes of Avatar are to respect and not exploit nature, and conservation, as this is really about Earth, we can just say that these themes relate to Earth, and so the film is perfect for Animal Kingdom.

The rides don’t directly relate to these themes, but it doesn’t matter, as there is a sense of these themes present in the land, as everyone there knows the film and relate the rides to them.

Mystic Manor would fit aesthetically, as people have stated, but, as previously stated, good aesthetics doesn’t mean correct themes, they are just used to integrate themes into lands. So it wouldn’t fit in it’s current state, but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t change the storyline enough for it to work, but knowing Disney, they would just want to copy the ride straight to Orlando, in which case it would make much more sense in Magic Kingdom.

That’s it, I think.
I've never been to Paris and don't have any clue about Mystic Manor, could you fill me in on what it's about and why everyone's arguing over whether it fits in DAK or not?
Also, what you said they did for Pandora, I like to imagine that's what they'll do for Zootopia in DAK if it does indeed get greenlit after the survey results.

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨︎ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
I've never been to Paris and don't have any clue about Mystic Manor, could you fill me in on what it's about and why everyone's arguing over whether it fits in DAK or not?
Also, what you said they did for Pandora, I like to imagine that's what they'll do for Zootopia in DAK if it does indeed get greenlit after the survey results.

Youtube.com then keywords "Mystic Manor"
Enjoy!

BenJacobs

Mystic Manor is in a mini land called Mystic Point in Hong Kong Disneyland, a monkey accidentally opens a magic chest and it makes the contents of the house(many items collected from adventures by the owner from around the world). So you go through many different rooms where the statues, paintings, weapons, etc are all alive. The situation gets worse until the chest is finally closed. It’s a brilliant ride, one of the best, it’d be great if it came to Orlando, but it would fit in Magic Kingdom not Animal Kingdom.

The thing is Zootopia just isn’t about animals or nature, and they could probably make a ride that is that uses Zootopia, but then they could just use any IP.

Disney Maddux

Mystic Manor is in a mini land called Mystic Point in Hong Kong Disneyland, a monkey accidentally opens a magic chest and it makes the contents of the house(many items collected from adventures by the owner from around the world). So you go through many different rooms where the statues, paintings, weapons, etc are all alive. The situation gets worse until the chest is finally closed. It’s a brilliant ride, one of the best, it’d be great if it came to Orlando, but it would fit in Magic Kingdom not Animal Kingdom.

The thing is Zootopia just isn’t about animals or nature, and they could probably make a ride that is that uses Zootopia, but then they could just use any IP.
1. Sounds like a really cool ride!
2. Deep down, I could honestly care less if there's no ride or land, I just really want a meet-n-greet (which apparently DCA gets but we don't :c)

BenJacobs

1. Sounds like a really cool ride!
2. Deep down, I could honestly care less if there's no ride or land, I just really want a meet-n-greet (which apparently DCA gets but we don't :c)

Agreed, I really enjoyed the film and it deserves some representation within the resort, I would just prefer it if it were placed somewhere appropriate.

EricsBiscuit

understanding the park's dedication doesn't explain Chester and Hester... Or Everest for that matter... that is also a mythical animal...and fits beautifully into the fabric of the park... I also don't think there is much of a conservation message woven into the story of Everest...no more than don't build a train on the Yeti's mountain...
Well you need to better understand the story ofEE. It is that a tourist company is taking you on a trip into the Himalayas. The Yeti obviously doesn't like his idea. It is a story about not messing with nature. Furthermore the campus of the tourism company was previously a plantation, he se the trains. You can even see some cotton still there planted around the base of the mountain.

mikejs78

Premium Member
A big part of AKs theme is the celebration of animals, past, present, and imagined, and humanity's relationship with the animal kingdom and with nature. That's where themes of conservation come in, and that's what make Avatar work. It also is where C&H comes in - Dinoland is about how we humans today think of and relate to Dinosaurs, these great creatures of Earth's past. There's both the scientific (the Dino institute) and the pop culture aspects (where C&H come in). Now I won't argue that the execution of C&H is particularly good. Its one of the weakest areas on property, IMO. But it thematically fits. Whereas Indy or Mystic Manor would both be far superior experiences to C&H, neither thematically fits in AK.

RSoxNo1

Adventure isn’t one of the themes of Animal Kingdom(there is some sense of adventure throughout the park, but it isn’t a major theme) so you couldn’t base an attraction entirely off of it - you’d have to put it in Adventureland, or better yet it’s own mini land(like Mystic Point in Hong Kong), but that mini land would have to be in Magic Kingdom.
There are three themes to the Animal Kingdom:
  • The intrinsic and superior value of nature - this means that nature, above all else is at the forefront of the design. This leads to parts of the park being out of their true control (live animals, overgrown pathways, etc.).
  • Transformation through adventure - this idea is that adventure changes people when they experience something they've never experienced before.
  • Personal call to action - a sense of responsibility for the animals and the conservation message.

RSoxNo1

Inconsistency alert.
A ride where a monkey is the chief antagonist is not suitable for a place called "Animal Kingdom"...
But a whole land based on a mythical planet and its mythical, civilized inhabitants is?
As is a ride celebrating around another mythical animal that guards a mysterious mountain...
Pandora checks all the boxes in my previous post. A legitimate argument can be made about Expedition Everest as well. For me, Mystic Manor is more about the exploration side of Adventure. I think they could modify it a bit to fit into the Animal Kingdom, but it would be better placed in Adventureland.

smile

meanwhile, back at the ranch...
frozen in norway / star wars at disneyland / guardians in uoe / tangled at tds / pixar on a pier
- proof positive that with any justification at all (or not, really) it can be made to 'fit'

not to halt the debate on whether or not it belongs, of course... jus throwin it out there

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom