Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

james martin

Hello everyone, it has been quite a while, but I'm back once again. This time I'm hearing lots of rumors from multiple sources about Indiana Jones coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom. The most extreme of them include all of Dinoland USA being replaced with an Indiana Jones themed land. This would include the closing of Dinosaur to convert it into the Indiana Jones Adventure, an archeology-themed dig site to replace the Boneyard, and the demolition and eventual replacement of Chester and Hester's Dino-rama. (And before you ask, no, I have no idea what is happening to Finding Nemo- The Musical or the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular.) This is purely rumor at this point, but I'm curious if anyone else has heard anything similar. Please comment if you know something, or if you're afraid to talk about it publicly, PM me here.

Hollywood studios needs serious help. I do realize they have alot coming to hollywood but they need more. they are lacking rides... and since the theme of Holly studious if about movies and acting I would assume that a Indiana Jones ride would be there and not animal kingdom. The only reason they are even considering having indiana jones at animal kingdom is because the ride already exist. the dino ride is the indiana Jones ride. Frankly I think this idea is dumb

Fox&Hound

I agree that DHS could use the Indy ride more and would love to see some lush jungle environment added to DHS like what they did in Disneyland for their ride. Also, in Ak, the dino theme still works they just have to get rid of the awful C&H area. The fossil dig site for the little ones is actually quite fun and well done for that age demographic and Dinosaur is a solid ride. I vote a family dinosaur coaster or ride all can enjoy is more of what the park needs than a major E ticket coaster only older kids and kids at heart can enjoy.

PS- Also, Nemo, while a good show, should be replaced by an edutainment kind of show themed to dinosaurs...

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
I think Imagineering can do better than that Excavator coaster. It seems bare bones like California Screamin', ummm, Incredicoaster.

Oh I don't know. I like the concept of the Excavator Coaster. It would tie in well with the Dinosaur/Countdown to Extension ride. I thought the land's working concept before it went "roadside carny trash" was pretty compelling.

Last edited:

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Spin-off the Dino area into two separate lands?

1) Keep Dinosaur, add Excavator, a kiddie ride, dig, dine and show.

2) New land would be anchored by a Nemo replacement with the leftover Dino rides being rethemed. Armchair obviously but one solution would be turn this hypothetical new spin-off land into a literal jungle gym. Similar to Tom Sawyer Island where guests can not only ride rides but also "swing from vines", rock climb and zip-line. For this concept I think a Tarzan or Jungle Book IP would work well.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Indeed, I won’t argue that it’s the best solution. But IP and identity don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

I don’t think Pandora made Animal Kingdom a lesser theme park. I think Dinorama makes AK a lesser theme park.

Epcot’s identity problems are more of a systemic issue and far proceed the current mandate.
Epcot's identity and popularity problems are all due to a lack of completion...The park was never finished, the attractions were never updated until recently. The size of EPCOT should have twice the amount of attractions...and certainly they should have completed the attractions planned and announced back in phase1. Now we are stuck relying on festivals for attendance....

WowFactor

Epcot's identity and popularity problems are all due to a lack of completion...The park was never finished, the attractions were never updated until recently. The size of EPCOT should have twice the amount of attractions...and certainly they should have completed the attractions planned and announced back in phase1. Now we are stuck relying on festivals for attendance....
Exactly!
If you're feeling a little bit nostalgic about EPCOT's golden years I'd suggest you to read the @spacemt354 post:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/stanza-ii-program-guide-epcot-center-the-early-years.938506/

RSoxNo1

We're supposed to ignore the fact that Pandora was based on a movie franchise and look at the content of the land itself to see how it fits the theme of DAK. That's what you and @Kman101 (ironically the two who replied) like to say, and I agree. But if you do the same for Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land, then what's left? What about the content of the lands themselves fits the park? When Disney hasn't built a non-IP-based ride in the last decade, it's tough to argue that IP-based rides/lands denotes a theme.

Throughout this thread, people have been debating how the ride would have to be tailored to fit DAK, but nobody raised the question for DHS. I think the idea that any IP-based attraction fits in DHS stems from people's aversion to the IP mandate. Same reason some think GotG in Epcot couldn't possibly work.

I think they're both almost equally poor fits. However, Universal runs a two-park resort instead of a four-park resort, so making each park unique isn't as important. Two Islands of Adventures is sustainable. If they had four Islands of Adventures, the average guest might tire out. Disney invented the idea of a theme park vacation, which nobody had envisioned before, by having four distinct experiences. Now it's become a thing people do, but poor decisions can reverse that over time. Oh and I love Star Wars.
Your points are well taken. The "themes" of the Studios parks and Magic Kingdom style parks is a bit more flexible. It wasn't always that way with the Studios, but it has kind of evolved into that.

The real issue is that people are far more protective of Epcot than they ever were of the Studios. I think Animal Kingdom also falls into that Epcot mold of needing it's themes better protected, but having the same lead imagineer that conceived the park still in charge helps eliminate a lot of that concern.

RSoxNo1

Not to belabor the point, but I’m of the opinion that I only care about what gets them to foot the bill.

When we look at the cross section of E-tickets globally in the last ten years they are split approximately 50/50 for IP v. Original. Yet if I had to make my personal top five out of that cross section I’d easily say 4/5 fall into the IP category.

There is nothing morally or creatively superior about an original attraction if WDI is given a budget, an ability to adapt and not create a simple book report with an IP.

Whatever makes Bob cough up the budget, a deal with the devil. Things like Pandora, Carsland and the devil of all devils (the pirates ride based on the IP is better than the amazingly wonderful original concept) prove one needn’t dismiss IP on principle. It would be nice for a mix, but it is 1 million times better than stagnation and decay. Something I’m pretty sure several people would prefer rather than swallow their fear of IP.

To make matters worse I’m pretty sure there are at least three IP based rides in 2019/2020 that very well will wind up on people’s top 10 lists globally.

Universal’s approach being very different than Disney’s, who sometimes at least actually understand how to mold the tools they are given.
http://micechat.com/101023-tim-grassey-addicted-easy-money/

rle4lunch

Hollywood studios needs serious help. I do realize they have alot coming to hollywood but they need more. they are lacking rides... and since the theme of Holly studious if about movies and acting I would assume that a Indiana Jones ride would be there and not animal kingdom. The only reason they are even considering having indiana jones at animal kingdom is because the ride already exist. the dino ride is the indiana Jones ride. Frankly I think this idea is dumb

Yeah, but Indy is actually fun and utilizes the ride design to its fullest potential. Dinosaur could've used Small World boats to achieve the current desired effect that it has. (hey, look! a playful dinosaur! hey look,let's stop and examine this plastic plant!) ugh. it's so painful.

I'm all for a quality Indy ride, either in DHS as a new build or over the top of Dino. Personally I prefer a new build with a Dino plus up, but hey, this is WDO Disney ya'll, they're looking at the path of least resistance.

EricsBiscuit

Yeah, but Indy is actually fun and utilizes the ride design to its fullest potential. Dinosaur could've used Small World boats to achieve the current desired effect that it has. (hey, look! a playful dinosaur! hey look,let's stop and examine this plastic plant!) ugh. it's so painful.

I'm all for a quality Indy ride, either in DHS as a new build or over the top of Dino. Personally I prefer a new build with a Dino plus up, but hey, this is WDO Disney ya'll, they're looking at the path of least resistance.
Attractions should be decided based on storyline, not ride system or technology.

ToTBellHop

I agree, that's why I think dino is such a failed execution of this. Why build a book report ride on a rollicking jeep adventure platform?
Because Jurassic Park used Jeeps.

I think the ride system works for the concept because you need a time machine that can travel through a completely undeveloped forest.

It’s the execution that has issues, though I am not as critical of it as you.

rle4lunch

Because Jurassic Park used Jeeps.

I think the ride system works for the concept because you need a time machine that can travel through a completely undeveloped forest.

It’s the execution that has issues, though I am not as critical of it as you.

So they were cheaply ripping off universal as a subtle tie- in? Sounds about right.

rle4lunch

Because it works.

Book report based on what book?

It's a non IP related story that Disney made up. Lol. I found it in the clearance section on Amazon.

It feels like you're going on a school field trip to take notes on local wildlife and then go home and right a report on it the next day.

"Book" report is probably the wrong nomenclature to use.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom