Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
stop.gif

Well Animal Kingdom was originally going to have an entire area dedicated to Legends and Myths. So Expedition Everest with the Yeti might be as close as we can get to anything related to mythology at the park.
But, as others would likely point out, it's not in the mythological creatures section of the park -- it's in an area dedicated to a real continent...

Kman101

Especially with the announcement just made for the Paris Studios.

Yep. Great announcement. The kind of one I wanted for DHS. In terms of how they laid it all out. The same as the DCA makeover. I think they think they did that. I think what DHS lacked was a third land being announced. Sure we're getting Mickey but it's a replacement. They are also updating their action show to Marvel, the coaster to Marvel. So many "little things" I wanted (not meaning I wanted Marvel) done at DHS. Like the ugly soundstages, Animation Courtyard, updated stage shows .... maybe we'll get another e-ticket in Indy which will absolutely help. But still. On paper I can see why it makes more of an impact than what's coming to DHS even though I can agree with Steve/wdwmagic on DHS being more better off for what they will have.

And if we got Frozen in Epcot it should have been this kind of expansion, behind the pavilion. It still wouldn't fit of course ...

HK, Tokyo and now Paris all have rumored Frozen lands. Which gets open first? LOL. They are trying really hard to make this land happen somewhere.

Dinoman96

Beastly Kingdom will always live on in my heart, even if it will never exist. I'm still hoping we get the Unicorn Maze or Dragon Tower in Fantasyland in 50 years or so. @marni1971 Have you made a video about Beastly Kingdom history?

To be honest, I always felt like the best way to revitalize the old Beastly Kingdom concept and make it gel with the design of Animal Kingdom in a post Everest world was to give the park a Europe section similar to what we have with Africa and Asia. Have it take place in a fictional european village with an elaborate backstory similar to Harambe and Anadapur, have a giant dragon themed coaster in the back similar to Expedition Everest, and have a walkthrough attraction similar to Maharajah Jungle Trek/Cretaceous Trail/Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail through a forest filled with a bunch of flora and fauna from Europe, that climaxes with an encounter with an AA unicorn.

Would be great, but it will never happen due to not adhearing to Disney's current M.O of "WE NEED IPS EVERYWHERE".

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
To be honest, I always felt like the besy way to revitalize the old Beastly Kingdom concept and make it gel with the design of Animal Kingdom in a post Everest world was to give the park a Europe section similar to what we have with Africa and Asia. Have it take place in a fictional european village with an elaborate backstory similar to Harambe and Anadapur, have a giant dragon themed coaster in the back similar to Expedition Everest, and have a walkthrough attraction similar to Maharajah Jungle Trek/Cretaceous Trail/Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail through a forest filled with a bunch of flora and fauna from Europe, that climaxes with an encounter with an AA unicorn.

Would be great, but it will never happen due to not adhearing to Disney's current M.O of "WE NEED IPS EVERYWHERE".

Well,a Frozen themed land would fit just about all your criteria ...... :jawdrop::D

But what have dragons got to do with Europe? Or Unicorns for that matter?

lazyboy97o

To be honest, I always felt like the besy way to revitalize the old Beastly Kingdom concept and make it gel with the design of Animal Kingdom in a post Everest world was to give the park a Europe section similar to what we have with Africa and Asia. Have it take place in a fictional european village with an elaborate backstory similar to Harambe and Anadapur, have a giant dragon themed coaster in the back similar to Expedition Everest, and have a walkthrough attraction similar to Maharajah Jungle Trek/Cretaceous Trail/Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail through a forest filled with a bunch of flora and fauna from Europe, that climaxes with an encounter with an AA unicorn.

You’re pretty much describing the land.

Well,a Frozen themed land would fit just about all your criteria ...... :jawdrop::D

But what have dragons got to do with Europe? Or Unicorns for that matter?
Dragons and unicorns are part of how European peoples understood the power and wonders of the natural world around them.

BrianLo

Not to discount those, but notice what all of those have in common? There was another party involved and Disney was usually spitting the bill. WDW also got a "new" Test Track and Soarin' because Disney was splitting the bill. Since Bob Iger overtook the throne, Disney hasn't paid in full for an original ride by their own choosing.

Not to belabor the point, but I’m of the opinion that I only care about what gets them to foot the bill.

When we look at the cross section of E-tickets globally in the last ten years they are split approximately 50/50 for IP v. Original. Yet if I had to make my personal top five out of that cross section I’d easily say 4/5 fall into the IP category.

There is nothing morally or creatively superior about an original attraction if WDI is given a budget, an ability to adapt and not create a simple book report with an IP.

Whatever makes Bob cough up the budget, a deal with the devil. Things like Pandora, Carsland and the devil of all devils (the pirates ride based on the IP is better than the amazingly wonderful original concept) prove one needn’t dismiss IP on principle. It would be nice for a mix, but it is 1 million times better than stagnation and decay. Something I’m pretty sure several people would prefer rather than swallow their fear of IP.

To make matters worse I’m pretty sure there are at least three IP based rides in 2019/2020 that very well will wind up on people’s top 10 lists globally.

Universal’s approach being very different than Disney’s, who sometimes at least actually understand how to mold the tools they are given.

No Name

There is nothing morally or creatively superior about an original attraction if WDI is given a budget, an ability to adapt and not create a simple book report with an IP.

It certain cases it can be restrictive. For example if Rudolph: Expedition Everest used that Abominable Snowman it wouldn't be as accurate or respected or highly-rated. Designing the creature straight from the myth is certainly morally and creatively superior. Other examples being a science-fiction characters in Epcot or a Frozen ride in the Norway pavilion. It would be tough to argue that the mandate hasn't been restrictive. But I do agree that there is almost always a way to sort of make it work.

At the end of the day it's simply unnatural and unsustainable for a company to never create original things. If Frozen, Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Soarin', etc. were never created the company wouldn't be as successful.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Not to belabor the point, but I’m of the opinion that I only care about what gets them to foot the bill.

When we look at the cross section of E-tickets globally in the last ten years they are split approximately 50/50 for IP v. Original. Yet if I had to make my personal top five out of that cross section I’d easily say 4/5 fall into the IP category.

Whatever makes Bob cough up the budget, a deal with the devil. Things like Pandora, Carsland and the devil of all devils (the pirates ride based on the IP is better than the amazingly wonderful original concept) prove one needn’t dismiss IP on principle. It would be nice for a mix, but it is 1 million times better than stagnation and decay. Something I’m pretty sure several people would prefer rather than swallow their fear of IP.

To make matters worse I’m pretty sure there are at least three IP based rides in 2019/2020 that very well will wind up on people’s top 10 lists globally.

Universal’s approach being very different than Disney’s, who sometimes at least actually understand how to mold the tools they are given.
The focus on franchises has removed identity. Each park becomes more and more a copy of Islands of Adventure.

Dunston

IMHO best case scenario is that Indy boat ride goes to Hollywood Studios, while the wooden coaster, re-themed Dinoland, etc. go to Animal Kingdom. If Chester's and Hester's is removed and the dinosaur dig-themed play area remains, a wooden roller coaster built on Chester and Hester's lot can fit the theme of a fossil dig. On top of that, Dinosaur would remain untouched. This is the very specific and unlikely outcome I'm hoping for at least.

I think we all know that whatever happens will disappoint a lot of internet people.

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

IMHO best case scenario is that Indy boat ride goes to Hollywood Studios, while the wooden coaster, re-themed Dinoland, etc. go to Animal Kingdom. If Chester's and Hester's is removed and the dinosaur dig-themed play area remains, a wooden roller coaster built on Chester and Hester's lot can fit the theme of a fossil dig. On top of that, Dinosaur would remain untouched. This is the very specific and unlikely outcome I'm hoping for at least.

I think we all know that whatever happens will disappoint a lot of internet people.
That sounds good

BrianLo

The focus on franchises has removed identity. Each park becomes more and more a copy of Islands of Adventure.

Indeed, I won’t argue that it’s the best solution. But IP and identity don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

I don’t think Pandora made Animal Kingdom a lesser theme park. I think Dinorama makes AK a lesser theme park.

Epcot’s identity problems are more of a systemic issue and far proceed the current mandate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom