Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

yensidtlaw1969

Those were closed years ago... From the point of view of the park for the last decade, Rat is net new, and GotG, as misplaced as it is, is replacing an attraction that hadn't drawn crowds in a long time.
Breaking things down by decade is anecdotal — regardless of what they’ve done in this past specific decade, the park’s capacity is positively puny today compared across it’s history. It might be correct to say it’s lower than ever, though I’d leave it to someone who knows the numbers more intimately to confirm that. Just because a mistake is getting old doesn’t mean we should grandfather it in. The park’s capacity is still negatively impacted by the closures at the Wonders of Life.

And truer than true is that the only attractions in Future World that have ever improved on the capacity of what they replaced are Soarin’ and (barely) Nemo. Every other replacement slashed attraction capacity by at least 3 digits.

FullSailDan

I feel like a jungle/Adventure area is needed at DHS, actually.

It would seem really out of place to me actually... it'd be a very big departure from the rest of the park. SWL is probably the closest you get to being out of the "cityscape" element, and even then I think its still like a development on a foreign planet. Lush landscaping (and jungle) isn't really one of DHS' signature themes. DAK easily includes a jungle, adventureland easily could have jungle, the studios... I'm skeptical.

FullSailDan

Breaking things down by decade is anecdotal — regardless of what they’ve done in this past specific decade, the park’s capacity is positively puny today compared across it’s history. It might be correct to say it’s lower than ever, though I’d leave it to someone who knows the numbers more intimately to confirm that. Just because a mistake is getting old doesn’t mean we should grandfather it in. The park’s capacity is still negatively impacted by the closures at the Wonders of Life.

And truer than true is that the only attractions in Future World that have ever improved on the capacity of what they replaced are Soarin’ and (barely) Nemo. Every other replacement slashed attraction capacity by at least 3 digits.

Not arguing that by the numbers capacity has been down, but Epcot certainly isn't hurting for capacity, outside the world showcase walkways. Many of the pavilions are ghost towns. It saddens me, because I believe in the idea of Epcot, but I think once Disney stopped innovating there, the crowds left, and for many it was a once and done experience. I'm sure some really smart bean counter did the math for the ROI on future world investment. But I also can't really blame them for closing Ellen and most of innoventions. Innoventions felt very inferior to many local science centers by the time it closed and Ellen... had it's moments.

DAK1928

It would seem really out of place to me actually... it'd be a very big departure from the rest of the park. SWL is probably the closest you get to being out of the "cityscape" element, and even then I think its still like a development on a foreign planet. Lush landscaping (and jungle) isn't really one of DHS' signature themes. DAK easily includes a jungle, adventureland easily could have jungle, the studios... I'm skeptical.

I agree that this would create an aesthetic conflict with DHS as it currently stands... but all indications are that the park will look very different in a decade, with SW:GE and TSL leading the transformation.

What about the land was changed from the movie?

What about the land is inconsistent with the movie or it’s message?

At what point has Indiana jones displayed any of the primary themes of Disney’s animal kingdom.

oh damn, now that you say it, dances with wolves in space is TOTALLY Animal Kingdom!
the movie is about learning about/from native american people (Navii), it is not ABOUT animals, in the same way Indy isn't ABOUT animals, but just contains them. I'm not arguing that Pandora is bad, I'm simply stating that Indy is not a stretch, because it contains nature and animals, at least, at the same level as Avatar. At worst, they are equally ridiculous. At face value, I think if you took a random person off the street and Showed them pics of DAK and showed them a pic of Indy exploring a monkey temple and a giant blue alien surfing on a banshee, and asked, "which one of these is not like the other?", I don't imagine a lot of people picking Indy haha.

I'm not advocating that indy belongs in DAK, just merely stating that it is not absolute insanity as you say. The fact that you think giant Blue space people makes perfect sense in DAK but Indiana Jones stumbling upon a monkey temple, or investigating a legend of a mythological creature is too far of a stretch shows that your argument doesn't have a ton of depth.

Sorry, I guess I should of formed it like a question. If the the theme was Indiana Jones searching for an artifact that invokes a strong animal storyline, would people be happy with this new addition to AK?
If it fits, it fits, I don't know why its controversial to think this!

If they plop a regular indy attraction into Dino land with no logical link to animals then its garbage. If its well done, with a logical strong link to animals, than it works.

At face value, Blue space aliens DOESNT work.. However what we got, in my opinion, works very well in Pandora! They did a good job, they amped up the conservation and nature aspects from avatar and now its a great land in DAK. Its all about execution

peter11435

oh damn, now that you say it, dances with wolves in space is TOTALLY Animal Kingdom!
the movie is about learning about/from native american people (Navii), it is not ABOUT animals, in the same way Indy isn't ABOUT animals, but just contains them. I'm not arguing that Pandora is bad, I'm simply stating that Indy is not a stretch, because it contains nature and animals, at least, at the same level as Avatar. At worst, they are equally ridiculous. At face value, I think if you took a random person off the street and Showed them pics of DAK and showed them a pic of Indy exploring a monkey temple and a giant blue alien surfing on a banshee, and asked, "which one of these is not like the other?", I don't imagine a lot of people picking Indy haha.

I'm not advocating that indy belongs in DAK, just merely stating that it is not absolute insanity as you say. The fact that you think giant Blue space people makes perfect sense in DAK but Indiana Jones stumbling upon a monkey temple, or investigating a legend of a mythological creature is too far of a stretch shows that your argument doesn't have a ton of depth.
Clearly you don’t understand what Avatar is about or the themes present throughout the movie. That makes any discussion regarding its inclusion at DAK or comparing it to Indy pretty much pointless.

Your post and most that defend Indy being added to DAK confuse theme and setting.

Again, nobody is arguing that Indy couldn’t have a story treatment created that would work at DAK. But the themes of the Indy franchise are not consistent with those present at the park. Could they make it work? Sure. Does that mean they should? I don’t think so. To do so would require the franchise to go down a path it has not. Whereas the theme of Pandora at DAK are the same themes present in the rest of the park and the same themes depicted in the film.

peter11435

At face value, Blue space aliens DOESNT work.. However what we got, in my opinion, works very well in Pandora! They did a good job, they amped up the conservation and nature aspects from avatar and now its a great land in DAK. Its all about execution

The problem here is that you are over simplifying what avatar is while at the same time not be honest about what Indy is at face value. If avatar is blue space aliens at face value then Indy is archeologist action hero.

Clearly you don’t understand what Avatar is about or the themes present throughout the movie. That makes any discussion regarding its inclusion at DAK or comparing it to Indy pretty much pointless.

Nice one, just say that if someone doesn't agree with you, they're too stupid to understand the depth of Avatar smh...
The difference between theme and setting when comparing DAK and indy. are not near as drastic as you allege them to be. To your credit, Avatar's THEME of nature conservation is an A+, animal connection B, and the setting is a C when comparing the rest of DAK (still awesome). whereas Indy's setting is an A+, the Theme is a B, and Animal Connection is B-

Also you're correct, I over simplified, but at face value, "Archeologist action hero" fits way better in DAK than "blue aliens" hah. as in, Indiana jones would actually be at these locations naturally, regardless of the presence of animals, whether or not his plan was to interact with animals or not. Where as Blue aliens have to create a story about a portal over a bridge to justify their presence. We're splitting hairs here. each story stretches somewhere, I just believe the stretch for each is equally large, but in different directions.
I'm not nearly as upset about this as you are obviously, so I'll remove myself from this particular discussion haha

mikejs78

Premium Member
Nice one, just say that if someone doesn't agree with you, they're too stupid to understand the depth of Avatar smh...
The difference between theme and setting when comparing DAK and indy. are not near as drastic as you allege them to be. To your credit, Avatar's THEME of nature conservation is an A+, animal connection B, and the setting is a C when comparing the rest of DAK (still awesome). whereas Indy's setting is an A+, the Theme is a B, and Animal Connection is B-

Also you're correct, I over simplified, but at face value, "Archeologist action hero" fits way better in DAK than "blue aliens" hah. as in, Indiana jones would actually be at these locations naturally, regardless of the presence of animals, whether or not his plan was to interact with animals or not. Where as Blue aliens have to create a story about a portal over a bridge to justify their presence. We're splitting hairs here. each story stretches somewhere, I just believe the stretch for each is equally large, but in different directions.
I'm not nearly as upset about this as you are obviously, so I'll remove myself from this particular discussion haha
Theme is far more important than setting when talking about a theme park. I'd argue Indy's theme connection to AK is a C at best (and that's being generous) while Avatar's, as you rightly point out, is an A+, hence why it fits in AK and Indy, at face value, doesn't. That doesnt mean it couldn't be made to work, but why bother when there are two other theme parks where Indy is a much more natural fit?

Last edited:

Bocabear

The entire aesthetic of the park lends itself to imagining an Indiana Jones character exploring...there are temples and jungles and ruins... Animal focus or not aesthetically it does fit within the visual framework of the park....and again, Maybe Indiana Jones is looking for a mythical creature supposed extinct...It could happen....
and in the Temple Of Doom, wasn't it the mining and removal of the sacred rock that caused the land to die...crops to fail...It seems like an ecological cautionary tale akin to Avatar....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom