Is entitlement becoming an issue?

mousehockey37

tumblr_inline_mvli5la1rC1s2m7xu.gif

Yeah, it's always fun when you have these new generation kids that get the parents involved when they don't get hired on for that "dream job" right out of college.

It's like... wow, you didn't think that other people with experience would apply for the same job? Welcome to the real world...

Anyway.. Getting this thing back on track, I do think that Disney is going to ultimately have to get involved. Someone will say or do something and it will attract more media and negative publicity than what is warranted. I think @Disneyhead'71 would be willing to have his news station cover this when it all blows up, lol.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
As a millenial with helicopter parents, it can be really, really hard to push them away. To the point that I'm handling my own move (as a normal 25 year old should) and it's killing my dad that his hands aren't in the pot. For example, he just texted me to check if I did something with my lease. Yes. I'm a full grown person - I did that. Just like I did all five gazillion other things that had to get done.

I actually find the whole concept super interesting. I'm a 1990 baby, with a 94 and 98 sister and brother. I've had the helicoptering, but I've always done everything myself when it came to solving real world problems - because they're my problems. I filed my own FAFSA, obtained my own loans (with a cosign from Mom), handled all my own registrations, etc. etc. I applied for all of my job opportunities and made my own decisions.

Now my sister, who crosses further into the millenial (I touch the edge of the Gen Y), has never filed a FAFSA, has missed registration because she didn't read an e-mail and only was able to secure a job because she volunteered at a cat shelter and they offered it to her. She has no idea what she wants to do, except for "something that makes her happy."

I took a practical viewpoint and became an accountant (I'd love to be an author, of what? who knows. Or a travel agent, but they don't make enough). I secured a high paying job out of a college (north of $60k, fresh out of school) and have worked in my reasonable job with a reasonable career trajectory. The only thing I have ever strayed from is the fact I don't want to be the 80 hour per week public accountant. Now, I'm leaving for a job with Disney (still in accounting). It's my dream company and a fantastic opportunity. But guess what? Still practical.
Are you me? Some of those details are eerily similar.

CPA
Sisters born in 92 and 97
Same(ish) salary out of college
Lived in Florida but moved away

I'm also married with a baby and I've bought and sold a house (and bought a second). But you're young, you've got time to catch up. ;)

ItlngrlBella

As a millenial with helicopter parents, it can be really, really hard to push them away. To the point that I'm handling my own move (as a normal 25 year old should) and it's killing my dad that his hands aren't in the pot. For example, he just texted me to check if I did something with my lease. Yes. I'm a full grown person - I did that. Just like I did all five gazillion other things that had to get done.

I actually find the whole concept super interesting. I'm a 1990 baby, with a 94 and 98 sister and brother. I've had the helicoptering, but I've always done everything myself when it came to solving real world problems - because they're my problems. I filed my own FAFSA, obtained my own loans (with a cosign from Mom), handled all my own registrations, etc. etc. I applied for all of my job opportunities and made my own decisions.

Now my sister, who crosses further into the millenial (I touch the edge of the Gen Y), has never filed a FAFSA, has missed registration because she didn't read an e-mail and only was able to secure a job because she volunteered at a cat shelter and they offered it to her. For both the FAFSA and registration? My dad did it for her. She has no idea what she wants to do, except for "something that makes her happy."

I took a practical viewpoint and became an accountant (I'd love to be an author, of what? who knows. Or a travel agent, but they don't make enough). I secured a high paying job out of a college (north of $60k, fresh out of school) and have worked in my reasonable job with a reasonable career trajectory. The only thing I have ever strayed from is the fact I don't want to be the 80 hour per week public accountant. Now, I'm leaving for a job with Disney (still in accounting). It's my dream company and a fantastic opportunity. But guess what? Still practical. Oh, and I just refinanced those same student loans to take my parents off of them and be able to afford to live without shelling out 1300 a month for student loans. School is expensive, yo.

The example you put forth as yourself are what ALL of us in higher ed hope (and pray) our students would do - naturally but gently push away the parents so you can be independent and develop those life skills on your own. Too many students (for my comfort level) sit on the sidelines and allow the parents to run the show.

ItlngrlBella

Honestly, I think this is the lesser of the two issues we're seeing here. As much as I disagree with the parenting style you're talking about, I can at least get it. It's a flawed strategy but at least done for a legitimate purpose (wanting the best for your kids).

The bigger problem has to be the people who somehow become fans of complete strangers (including little children!) on social media. A mom who wants her daughter to be on Ellen? A little over the top. Complete strangers who want that little girl to be on Ellen and generally obsess over her? ***?

Agreed - but entitlement is bred into kids varying ways... Whether it's the micromanaging of every aspect of your kid's life to fanning the flames of their social media followers... It rarely ever turns out well because they end up lacking the independent life skills and coping mechanisms they will need later on in life.

HolleBolleGijs

I didn't read through all 8 pages of this, but paying more attention to social media influencers is actually a popular PR strategy. I heard it straight from the mouths from people who do community management from Comcast. Companies listen to these people more and make sure they have an excellent experience, because they know people pay attention.

I'm not saying this is a good thing, and as far as I can tell, Disney does a better job of paying attention to both the influencers and everyday guests.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

Now my sister, who crosses further into the millenial (I touch the edge of the Gen Y), has never filed a FAFSA, has missed registration because she didn't read an e-mail and only was able to secure a job because she volunteered at a cat shelter and they offered it to her. For both the FAFSA and registration? My dad did it for her. She has no idea what she wants to do, except for "something that makes her happy."

I took a practical viewpoint and became an accountant (I'd love to be an author, of what? who knows. Or a travel agent, but they don't make enough). I secured a high paying job out of a college (north of $60k, fresh out of school) and have worked in my reasonable job with a reasonable career trajectory. The only thing I have ever strayed from is the fact I don't want to be the 80 hour per week public accountant. Now, I'm leaving for a job with Disney (still in accounting). It's my dream company and a fantastic opportunity. But guess what? Still practical. Oh, and I just refinanced those same student loans to take my parents off of them and be able to afford to live without shelling out 1300 a month for student loans. School is expensive, yo.

Just want to point out that Millennials is the new name for Gen Y. You are a millennial. The generation after you is Gen Z although some are starting to call it iGen due
to the personal tech boom and the perceived self centeredness.

Last edited:

Monkee Girl

I am on the fence with this situation.

First, I don't really count this as entitled. My idea of entitled is saying 'Pirates was down while I was here, I demand my park ticket comped!' or 'My eggs were cold, i demand a free meal!' or that kind of complaining from people. The type that stand in a character line when they know the character is going away and then argue with the CM that it's 'just one more child...you ruined our trip!' people.

So, on the one hand, I don't see that with these internet media people. They all seem to at least be paying to get into the parks, they work hard on those costumes. It's not like the woman is just buying cheap costumes and expecting praise. I know when I see these quality style costumes in the park, I get a little giddy and I don't even work there. So I can imagine how a princess or any character would feel seeing that kind of effort put into the look.

However...at the same time...I think some of it goes a 'little' far. I mean, to the point of making costumes of the working CMs!? The Festival of Fantasy costume, for example, though amazing I think is a little overboard. It comes across as 'we have to top the bar'. What probably started out as a Cinderella costume here, a Merida costume there...then grew to Ice Cream Parlor girl and Trolley girl. Creatively, they are great. But realistically, it does shout 'attention seekers'.

I don't like the idea of people coming with all the cameras and staging stuff. I don't like the idea of people telling other people that normally public appearances are private. and I most certainly don't like the stalkers. The people that go to the parks 3-5 times a week and chase after the characters. 'Spieling Peter' being a great example. Sure, we got some fun videos from Peter but at the cost of these girls looking ridiculous and the 'Friends' possibly getting in trouble for it is wrong to me.

I dunno. Maybe I was never aware of it before but I never noticed other girls getting looked over because another girl got more attention. I think the majority of the time the characters know how to handle themselves and play how the child they are with act.

Now you guys are going to make me pay attention to this stuff when I am there in 15 days! lol

rct247

Well, I didn't think the OP was going after social media famous people, but I do think there is a MAJOR entitlement issue. There are a good chunk of Disney guests who think the rules don't apply to them, that they can try to cheat the system, who raise a fuss to get their way, and who lie at the expense of others. Customer is always right after all.

Those people need to go some place to rot and don't deserve what Disney has to offer. Period. They call themselves Disney fans, but yet they are hypocrites of what Disney movies teach us.

Victor Kelly

The only people who make a big deal about this stuff are people that spend way too much time on the net. Who care what a little girl gets? Make your own magic happen. CMs pay attention to people that stand out. The buttons, costumes, or even doing something for another guest that gets noticed.

We talk to people that are standing around us. I moved for two moms that had children so they could watch MSEP in front of the castle in the FP area. They were smaller kids, and because I wasn't another ignorant adult, those kids got the view of a lifetime. I talked to the moms, then the dads. I thought they would never stop thanking me.

A couple left their camera bag at WL in the lobby while we were waiting for the ADR at Whispering Canyon. After 15 minutes they didn't come back, I picked it up and took it to concierge. I was repaid by karma later, when I lost something of mine and received it back at lost and found.

So my point, just enjoy the parks, sweet jesus, stop worrying so much about other people and what they are doing and worry about yourselves. Go out, be happy. I have recently hit really bad times and it is hard to be positive. But my vacation was perfect and I fall back on those memories to get me through it sometimes.

ItlngrlBella

The only people who make a big deal about this stuff are people that spend way too much time on the net. Who care what a little girl gets? Make your own magic happen. CMs pay attention to people that stand out. The buttons, costumes, or even doing something for another guest that gets noticed.

We talk to people that are standing around us. I moved for two moms that had children so they could watch MSEP in front of the castle in the FP area. They were smaller kids, and because I wasn't another ignorant adult, those kids got the view of a lifetime. I talked to the moms, then the dads. I thought they would never stop thanking me.

A couple left their camera bag at WL in the lobby while we were waiting for the ADR at Whispering Canyon. After 15 minutes they didn't come back, I picked it up and took it to concierge. I was repaid by karma later, when I lost something of mine and received it back at lost and found.

So my point, just enjoy the parks, sweet jesus, stop worrying so much about other people and what they are doing and worry about yourselves. Go out, be happy. I have recently hit really bad times and it is hard to be positive. But my vacation was perfect and I fall back on those memories to get me through it sometimes.

I guess the thing that "gets" to some of us is finding out that this all started out as a cute thing with a mom and her daughter (that I was a fan of) but it's grown out of hand with a rude and entitled entourage in-tow. Then you have other people trying to make themselves into WDW IG celebs that run around the parks with entitlement attitudes (per first hand accounts cited here), who are rude to the everyday family that save up to only go once or every few/several years.

We approach our vacations and interactions the same way as you do - it's fun to spread Magic and politeness with simple acts of friendliness/kindness - it should be that way inside AND outside WDW all the time.

Anyway, I'm curious to know what CM and "friends" think. It must be thrilling to have such a cute little girl in such an adorable costume come up to you, but when said girl has an entourage and a media team is it still as "magic?" Do they forsee these other IG Character-stalking personalities as creepy annoyances, friends, fans, attention- wh*res, or potential problems?

Last edited:

NowInc

Original Poster
What some are failing to remember is even tho its "just a park", its a vacation that costs a lot of money that some only get to experience once in a lifetime. Imagine saving for years to go, spending your money, waiting in line, and getting brushed off so a frequent local visitor can get constant personal attention with her personal paparazzi in tow.

By the way, It goes without saying that when I refer to "her", I am not in any way tossing negativity towards the child, at all. I only use the term "her" in order to keep it clear as to what I am referring to in my posts.

And finally, this isn't a thread about just this one person (in fact the reason the first post in this thread was so hard to follow is that I was trying to AVOID bringing any one account up), its not about any sort of jealousy...its about a trend I see increasing with now dozens of "copy cat" type accounts all competing to one up each other, with little regard to the other guests around...sometimes aggressively acting in order to make sure they maintain their "elite" status they bestow upon themselves.

jw24

To sum it up, I think most of us feel like Harvey Dent from The Dark Knight with the whole, "It's not about what I want, it's about what's fair". And clearly, everyone has already pointed out what's not fair about the whole situation. No way should a child get an exclusive meet and greet in the public eye and during park hours. But in the mother's defense, however, how could anyone not turn down that offer? Some would take it without hesitation. In a way, Disney is being hypocritical. They focus so much on their tourists and visitors outside of Florida with regards to FP+ and whatnot and yet, in the aforementioned situation regarding the young girl and the customized dress, they're showing favoritism to one local annual passholder in particular over young girls who may have come over from a different state or different country who may only have one chance to see a character. But at some point, when is there too much entitlement? What crosses the line between rational preferential treatment and just plain favoritism? I think to give magical moments to a person or family is fine, once or twice per vacation. More than that is where it's indication of favoritism.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the characters and their handlers are the ones encouraging this behavior. The actors and actresses and other cast members are the ones leaking details to the social media celebrities in advance and then actively deciding to give them special treatment.

I don't disagree with that. I have a example that backs it up. I regularly watch and have subscribed to Tommy Des Brisay's YouTube channel. He is an autistic person with Disney playing a huge part in his life. You might say he's the Canadian version of that Owen person who recently got to appear on stage with Gilbert Gottfried during last week's Comedy Central special supporting autism. Anyway, I did notice, however, that during his 2013 trip to Disney, I couldn't help but notice that in some of his videos, there was one CM in particular who always seemed to appear a lot during that trip. Her name was Allie and according to Tommy's mother, they had met the year earlier in 2012 where she was a character attendant at the time. Long story short, Tommy received a shout-out video from Aladdin and Jasmine. See here:

Afterwards, he wanted Aladdin to be his guide runner in his reaction video. Since obviously characters can't assist marathon runners during the actual race, Tommy was somehow invited to a private meet and greet after Fantasmic. Then, apparently, throughout his trip, I'm almost 100% sure he encountered the exact CM during Character Palooza and regular meet and greet spots more often than not and it was pretty obvious that Allie was in fact, a friend of Jasmine and Pocahontas. I mean, look at all these videos. It couldn't be a coincidence of meeting the exact same friend of Jasmine or Pocahontas that many times on a Disney trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBp3wWaoD70

And when she wasn't working as a character performer, she seemed to hang around with Tommy a lot (More vids can be found his channel):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMjsJA55FF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg1i8Optr44

So in short, I can hypothesize that this CM either secretly told the Des Brisay family her work schedule and/or possibly negotiated with her supervisor to rearrange her schedule so that she could interact with Tommy even more. From what I've seen, they take a really long time in terms of interaction. According to their personal website, they visit Disney during the least crowded times of the year, claim they do character meet and greets whenever there are no lines, mainly in the evening from what I've heard. Additionally, from their site, they state: "Lastly, many of Tommy’s longest conversations with characters took place when he was invited to come for a visit set up for him, at a time when the characters have chosen to see Tommy after the line of guests has ended, and before they go on their break." I'm not going to discredit Tommy as a human being or say he doesn't deserve additional time or these less intrusive meet and greets. I'm sure there are plenty of CMs who do know his story and whatnot and set up the arrangements with less intrusive meet and greets, something a lot of people dream of! But on that particular trip, I'm almost 100% positive that Allie the CM was mostly pulling the strings to make these interactions happen so to speak.

Last edited:

Dwarful

I think if mom wants the child to dress up and go into the park and experience the park and all of its wonder....wonderful. I'm all for that. I guess I draw the line for extras and especially in areas that are off limits for all park goers. I don't want little Susie or Johnny going behind the counter of the candy, ice cream or snack shop for photos of said child with workers...might be cute to the parents...but not to me if I am about to consume something from that establishment.

Also, I think EVERY single character line we stood in on our Feb/March trip we heard the CM character handlers saying "If you have an autograph book, please have the book open to the page you want signed and your pen ready, if you want photos taken with your camera/phone please have those ready" We had some nice interactions, but only for a few minutes, which is what we expected to help the lines move quickly and ensure as many guests as possible also had character encounters.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I think if mom wants the child to dress up and go into the park and experience the park and all of its wonder....wonderful. I'm all for that. I guess I draw the line for extras and especially in areas that are off limits for all park goers. I don't want little Susie or Johnny going behind the counter of the candy, ice cream or snack shop for photos of said child with workers...might be cute to the parents...but not to me if I am about to consume something from that establishment.

Also, I think EVERY single character line we stood in on our Feb/March trip we heard the CM character handlers saying "If you have an autograph book, please have the book open to the page you want signed and your pen ready, if you want photos taken with your camera/phone please have those ready" We had some nice interactions, but only for a few minutes, which is what we expected to help the lines move quickly and ensure as many guests as possible also had character encounters.
Yeah I guess I understand that but in her case, her cast member pictures were part of her being featured on the Disney Parks Blog.

Monkee Girl

I was waiting for someone to bring up Tommy. I've also been waiting for someone to bring up Little Pan at Disneyland.

I think Tommy is a fantastic, motivational person. Let me make that very, very clear. He is an outstanding human being, a friend to all and someone a lot of people could learn a lot from.

That said, it is undeniable that Tommy has been given magical moments beyond those that are the norm. Hundreds of disabled children visit Disney daily and struggle with the new disability services, especially with long and unpredictable character lines. Tommy has been given many exclusive meet and greets, greets after closed lines, etc. When Tommy sees characters before they go on their break, he is essentially extending a closed line, that backs up into the next set, and so on and so forth. That character must take the same time on break regardless. He has many extended interactions with characters, and greets like the Fantasmic backstage. That Fantasmic is very, very hard to access. It's marked as Characterpalooza, but that is most definitely on the island. A certain IG account just did the very same greet, after remarking the day before how she hadn't seen Fantasmic in years because it was boring. But her trolley friends were quick to save that day.

On to Little Pan. Pan also has a very talented mother, who makes him male character costumes. They are amazing. The major difference? West Coast. Although he has great interactions with daily characters, as well parades, he has no entourage, no boom mics, etc.

I thought of Tommy too with this thread. And maybe it's hypocritical of me, but I really have no problem with him doing what he is doing. I mean, if they are waiting their turn or this is something Disney is willing to give them, then where is the harm? I think he is a great motivator with his running and his great bubbly personality and you can see why the characters LOVE spending time with him. I think it's a win-win for both his family and Disney. I just don't see them as entitled or expecting to be treated a certain way. In comparison, I can see the mother's costume hobby as being a means of 'getting attention.' She may not ask for special favors but I am sure there is a line of thinking like 'I wonder what reaction we will get if I dress my little girl up like a parade performer or ice cream shop girl.' But I can't REALLY fault that either. They put the effort into it and the CMs take notice.

Again, I am still on the fence with it. I am in the mind of 'no one said life was fair' and people get what they put in to their vacation. If you are just going for a meet and greet, the kid doesn't dress up and then doesn't talk to the character, the character will lead the conversation, get the picture and move you along. But if you dress the girl up, whether in a homemade dress or not, and the kid is really talkative, the character has more to do and makes a better connection causing a longer meet. It's just how it is. So I really am not offended, jealous, or upset that someone gets more character time than me. I worry about myself.

But then I do understand where it would be aggravating to some people when you see the same people get these kind of treats ALL THE TIME; it does make you wonder what goes on behind the scenes. And even I sometimes roll my eyes when I see people go a little overboard on the ‘look at me, give me attention’ actions. However, how many lines have we all stood in with self-absorbed people like that? Not THAT many, I am sure. To me, we have no idea how many other people the CMs 'cater' too like this. We just take notice of these two (Lane and Tommy) because they are on the internets. How many people get just as much attention but doesn’t necessarily post it? We don’t know. So entitled? No, not really. The posse/photo shoot thing is a little much but most of the time, I think it is just people taking the opportunities offered to them.

ItlngrlBella

^^^ yes, but those first-hand accounts of the rude and snotty posse's that @akayw0718 gave - those people sound like complete psychos.

Psycho example: I was following a few new accounts on IG for Dapper Day. One account in particular, when I checked out the rest of their pics, it was a character stalkapolooza to the point of me thinking... "Security!?!" Comments of she and her posse posted were rude insinuating all the other tourists/families that were "bothersome" and "yes, our favorite pastime is judging you."

It was weird. I unfollowed that account in a hot second.

All I want to see are cool vintage Dapper Day fashions. I don't want to see you visit Peter Pan or Gaston for the 100,000th time.

PS: I'm only following the official "Dapper Day" IG account now. They should make it more than once a year - it looks like such an awesome event. I need an excuse to dress like that.

Last edited:

Monkee Girl

^^^ yes, but those first-hand accounts of the rude and snotty posse's that @akayw0718 gave - those people sound like complete psychos.

Oh definitely. I have never taken time out of my day to wait around for a character (ok ONCE for Peter Pan!!!:oops:) But not stalking them at the international gateway. And if I did wander that way and came across a rare character like Megara, Phillip, Eric or someone like that, I would be absolutely ticked if some entitled guest told me it was a 'private' meet and greet. If a CM said that, fine, but not some other person. How selfish can that be and I still almost don't believe it! lol

ItlngrlBella

^^^ yep!

I would be po'ed more if they said those things to families with kids who didn't know better (because it's their only or first trip) and discouraging kids to visit characters by straight up lying like that. Pretty damn b-tchy. :cautious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom