Is entitlement becoming an issue?

mousehockey37

I hate to say it, but Walt Disney World is not there as a charity to provide EQUAL experience for the guest. People with a better financial status always have a better experiences. They stay at better hotels, eat better meals and get better service. I had a private party a few years back at Disney Hollywood Studios. When planning I was given a list of extras that I could add to the party and they included everything from private viewing areas, private meet and greets with Mickey, tours of things the public cannot see extra, etc. We had thirty people meeting one night and we did rent a private viewing area for Fantasmics!. We included a full dinner and drinks before the show. everyone in the group paid their share and it cost each of us a few bucks, but was well worth it. PS, did not have a private meeting with Mickey because it would have cost more than the dinner for 30 people.

That's the thing. This girl and her mom have AP's. They live close by. It's the insider info that they are getting from unknown CM sources telling them which characters are going to be where and what they will be wearing so that this girl can be dressed for the occasion.

We all know the more you pay, the more you get to play.

It's one thing when you go and seek out a private party, but it's another when it's just another normal operations day. Will everyone get the same experience? No. Should others be being told that something that is public (these Meet and Greets) is a private event? Absolutely not. My response would be: well, if it's private, why's it in plain view? The Disney Visa M&G is in a specific location "off stage" where you have to go to it.

Do extended M&G's exist? Sure, why wouldn't they if there's no line. There's no hurry to get through as many people as possible, but when there is a line, keep it to a small interaction, photo, goodbye.

Matt_Black

Honestly, is this any worse than a cat born with a minor but adorable deformity getting her own movie?

On a more serious note, if social media continues to rise in popularity, and kids are put in the spotlight by their parents in the hopes of gaining viral notoriety, I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to pass something akin to the Jackie Coogan Laws.

melmel89

I have to admit I was sceptical when I started reading this thread, but if half of what is on here is true its more than a little disturbing. building your child up to an unrealistic ideal for them to eventually go out into the real world can be incredibly damaging, I work in higher education and frequently have to deal with the fallout. it will definitely be interesting to see how these "celebrity" accounts develop and if they will continue to be afforded "perks".

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I have to admit I was sceptical when I started reading this thread, but if half of what is on here is true its more than a little disturbing. building your child up to an unrealistic ideal for them to eventually go out into the real world can be incredibly damaging, I work in higher education and frequently have to deal with the fallout. it will definitely be interesting to see how these "celebrity" accounts develop and if they will continue to be afforded "perks".
And I think a lot of us are very reasonable when it comes to make believe and fantasy and whatnot because it's Disney, after all. But there's a difference between visiting a fantasy kingdom once in awhile and building your entire life to be one.

melmel89

And I think a lot of us are very reasonable when it comes to make believe and fantasy and whatnot because it's Disney, after all. But there's a difference between visiting a fantasy kingdom once in awhile and building your entire life to be one.

its funny you should that, general chit chat in the staff room this morning got onto the likes of facebook, xbox, world of war craft etc. We were saying how we are seeing an increasing number of students for whom the lines between reality and fantasy/the online world is blurred. Its a really worrying trend, and I certainly don't think its limited to a minority of WDW fans.

ItlngrlBella

AMEN SISTER. I worked in higher Ed admissions and advising for over 10 years and there are overinflated egos and bulldozer parents are a real thing.

The below examples are real-life ones I encountered during my career:

"My child's self esteem is ruined because he was failed in the class."
We tried to contact your son because he was not attending class and our contacts went unanswered.

"My daughter was raised with soccer since age 3 and has been on travelling teams her whole life, I demand an athletic scholarship - we invested so much into her soccer career." We are the only D2 school in our state sir, it's extremely competitive.

"My son is not waking up in time for his classes, do you have a wake up service? ...and what I nean by a wake up service is not a phone call, I mean an RA knocking on his door until he wakes up." (NO JOKE)

MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE... ((Drumroll))....

At an open house Q&A with our Student Leaders, a mother asked "How easy is it for my daughter to have sex here?" (I felt so bad for her daughter - she wanted to cry)

I leaned over to my colleague and whispered, "Well, it depends, how easy is your daughter?"

Last edited:

melmel89

AMEN SISTER. I worked in higher Ed admissions and advising for over 10 years and there are overinflated egos and bulldozer parents are a real thing.

We tried to contact your son because he was not attending class and our contacts went unanswered.

"My daughter was raised with soccer since age 3 and has been on travelling teams Her whole life, I demand an athletic scholarship - we invested so much into her soccer career." We are the only D2 school in our state sir, it's extremely competitive.

"My son is not waking up in time for his classes, do you have a wake up service? ...and what I nean by a wake up service is not a phone call, I mean an RA knocking on his door until he wakes up." (NO JOKE)

Are you sure we don't work for the same University?! it all sounds very familiar! just today I had a final year law student tell me he hadn't attended classes for 7 weeks as he worked part time (bearing in mind we have a hardship fund so students don't have to compromise their education) and could I not just go through all the material there and then and pass his assignment! Pffft! :banghead:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

"My daughter was raised with soccer since age 3 and has been on travelling teams Her whole life, I demand an athletic scholarship - we invested so much into her soccer career." We are the only D2 school in our state sir, it's extremely competitive.

My husband got rid of the intern program at his work because of kids and parents like that.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

Honestly, I think this is the lesser of the two issues we're seeing here. As much as I disagree with the parenting style you're talking about, I can at least get it. It's a flawed strategy but at least done for a legitimate purpose (wanting the best for your kids).

The bigger problem has to be the people who somehow become fans of complete strangers (including little children!) on social media. A mom who wants her daughter to be on Ellen? A little over the top. Complete strangers who want that little girl to be on Ellen and generally obsess over her? ?

melmel89

My husband got rid of the intern program at his work because of kids and parents like that.
That's such a shame. We have had the same problem, we make links with the local community and send all our final year students to get some work experience on more than one occasion we have had companies pull out because of poor conduct from the students. it's infuriating that a minority spoil it for the majority.

melmel89

Honestly, I think this is the lesser of the two issues we're seeing here. As much as I disagree with the parenting style you're talking about, I can at least get it. It's a flawed strategy but at least done for a legitimate purpose (wanting the best for your kids).

The bigger problem has to be the people who somehow become fans of complete strangers (including little children!) on social media. A mom who wants her daughter to be on Ellen? A little over the top. Complete strangers who want that little girl to be on Ellen and generally obsess over her? ***?

True, that aspect of it is just plain creepy.

DisneyChild1968

In my opinion, 100% yes.

I will not go into details, but I feel that certain guests are receiving constant, greater experiences simply because of their viewer counts on social media. I am not talking about a sweet "something extra" here and there, but more along the lines of every visit, getting special treatments and interactions. Being allowed to go where other guests can't, getting more than 20 minutes of one on one time with characters, being allowed behind counters, etc.

It seems that unless you dress your child up as a character, they will be seen as "less worthy" of getting the same treatment. Try explaining that to a kid sometime.

I am sure there are many "supporters" of this type of thing, as its seen as "cute", but try to look at the bigger picture. There are MANY of these types of accounts out there now, and its increasingly becoming worse and worse.

Please let me know if I am out of line in thinking this way. Shed some light on what I am missing.

Although there have been thoughts on this....usually when I am at Disney, I don't pay attention too much to what other people are receiving. I've been many, many times with my niece and nephew when they were small and they were always made to feel special. It was never expected but always appreciated!!! Once Cruella Deville had a lengthy conversation with my 4 year old niece. She was particularly entertained when after asking my niece, "you have any puppies, little girl" to which my niece who had two dogs at the time replied with her little hands on her hips, "no, but if I did, I wouldn't let you pet them"! It was hilarious and my niece wanted nothing to do with her again...during any trip to Disney! It was hilarious!!!

ItlngrlBella

Are you sure we don't work for the same University?! it all sounds very familiar! just today I had a final year law student tell me he hadn't attended classes for 7 weeks as he worked part time (bearing in mind we have a hardship fund so students don't have to compromise their education) and could I not just go through all the material there and then and pass his assignment! Pffft! :banghead:

Lol! I worked for a state school. I remember when I first started in 99, we were going to weeklong seminars on how to navigate/counsel "the Millennials" and their "helicopter/bulldozer parents."

I was scared poopless! Granted, my examples are extreme, and for every 100 kids you have one extreme - but they exist and with social media, the inflated egos seem to be growing.

Our UW had a high population of first-generation students and they were my loves! These kids are forced to be more independent and pro-active because their parents never attended college and had no one from home guiding them (or doing it for them). They leave college with better coping skills because they didn't have Mom & Dad advocating for then constantly.

This is what you end up with once these helicopter-parented kids graduate:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theempl...-kids-job-interviews-whats-an-employer-to-do/

Last edited:

mousehockey37

Lol! I worked for a U of WI. I remember when I first started in 99, we were going to weeklong seminars on who to navigate "the Millennials" and their "helicopter parents."

I was scared poopless! Granted, my examples are extreme, and for every 100 kids you have one extreme - but they exist and with social media the inflated egos seem to be growing.

Our UW had a high population of first-generation students and they were my love. These kids are forced to be more independent and pro-active because their parents never attended college. They leave college with better coping skills because they didn't have Mom & Dad advocating for then constantly.

This is what you end up with once these kids graduate:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theempl...-kids-job-interviews-whats-an-employer-to-do/

PS: I left higher Ed when we had our second daughter... Now I do college admissions consulting, test prep tutoring and executive function coaching.

Then you also get things like this too:

http://articles.mcall.com/2013-02-1...supplemental-internship-partway-lehigh-lawyer

Which is followed by:

http://articles.mcall.com/2013-11-2...1125_1_megan-thode-nicholas-ladany-gary-sasso

melmel89

Lol! I worked for a U of WI. I remember when I first started in 99, we were going to weeklong seminars on who to navigate "the Millennials" and their "helicopter parents."

I was scared poopless! Granted, my examples are extreme, and for every 100 kids you have one extreme - but they exist and with social media the inflated egos seem to be growing.

Our UW had a high population of first-generation students and they were my love. These kids are forced to be more independent and pro-active because their parents never attended college. They leave college with better coping skills because they didn't have Mom & Dad advocating for then constantly.

This is what you end up with once these kids graduate:

PS: I left higher Ed when we had our second daughter... Now I do college admissions consulting, test prep tutoring and executive function coaching.

Yes our students who are the first in their family to go are generally a lot more dedicated, they also own their actions instead of getting on the phone to their folks. We also have a great deal of international students I really admire their courage I don't think I could have packed up and headed off halfway across the world at 18!
That article is crazy I would be mortified if my folks gate-crashed an interview!

drew81

1. Not if certain people were given notice weeks in advance so they could dress up like those "rares" and then the "rares" spent 20 minutes with those certain people while ignoring the rest of the guests.

2. Disney did this two years ago. It was called "Limited Time Magic" and it was universally mocked and ridiculed.

Then Love and Shove should be instituted in those situations. I am not saying them taking 2 extra minutes with the special guest is wrong, but the character needs to show common sense(along with the handler) and keep the line moving.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Then Love and Shove should be instituted in those situations. I am not saying them taking 2 extra minutes with the special guest is wrong, but the character needs to show common sense(along with the handler) and keep the line moving.
Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the characters and their handlers are the ones encouraging this behavior. The actors and actresses and other cast members are the ones leaking details to the social media celebrities in advance and then actively deciding to give them special treatment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom