Is Carousel of Progress closing?

Should the Carousel of Progress close?

• Total voters

WDW1974

Nothing is happening to CoP in the near term.
But down the road a bit...next big addition to TL (whatever that may end up being...)...it's bye-bye CoP.

Doesn't bother me at all, really...

Nothing is happening in the near term because this IS WDW. They are slow to do anything ... even kill the last attraction that Walt Disney personally had a hand in that exists no where else.

It doesn't bother you? You are just a big poopyhead who is angry because WDI fired him for being caught with three fanbois under the TDS model!:D

It bothers me. A lot. Can I say the 'f' word?

WDW1974

Absolutely no way it goes to the Smithsonian as a whole.
I'm sure they would accept a prop or something from it, but there is no chance they want to take it and operate it.

They couldn't really.

The showbuilding is unique. You can't take it apart. ... No one would want it. The Disney Family Museum might take a scene or two.

I really hope it doesn't come to that.

WDW1974

Excuse this newbie to the WDWMagic forums for his impertinence, but what, if I may be so bold, do you base your wealth of inside information on?

HAHAHHAHAH!!!!

Lee is a disgruntled ex-Imagineer. His wealth of information wouldn't pay for a venti mocha latte with soy at the new MSUSA Starbucks. Do NOT believe him. He has a second account on here ... he also posts as JT (a character who is supposed to be a middle aged woman, but is really a dude). Sick stuff.

danv3

Welllllll.....not necessarily a really long time.. There are concepts for TL as we speak. One of which would almost certainly require removing CoP.
But it would likely be a few years, yet.

If the COP has to go, does that mean the PeopleMover would close, leaving us with a Disneyland style abandoned track?

danv3

Forget Epcot.
There is no consideration/chance of it moving there. Ever.

How about DCA? Shipping it across the continent seems unlikely, but maybe DLR would appreciate (and maintain) this part of Disney history more than WDW.

midwest_mice

They should not close this classic attraction. The only thing that does need an update is the last scene. I think a few of those sweaters could win an ugly sweater contest this Christmas!

Lee

Adventurer
HAHAHHAHAH!!!!

Lee is a disgruntled ex-Imagineer. His wealth of information wouldn't pay for a venti mocha latte with soy at the new MSUSA Starbucks. Do NOT believe him. He has a second account on here ... he also posts as JT (a character who is supposed to be a middle aged woman, but is really a dude). Sick stuff.
Ok...you earned a "like" for that one. That's pretty funny. The act's coming right along...

NYBaloo

I love COP. They could update the last scene. If they want to remove a TL attraction, remove those horrible gas guzzling mini cars. They have nothing to do with TL or looking towards the future.

Goofyernmost

Without CoP all we will get at the end of everyday is a huge, ugly, meaningless, short sighted, disrespectful rest of our days. Not to mention an odd looking spot that the people mover will circle around.:(

wiigirl

Why? Why? It makes more sense ... oh wait I understand why they won't never mind!

lol... :p
75.gif

tomman710

Like Disney himself, I am all for "keep moving forward" ... if closing COP paves the way for a new E-Ticket or something equally amazing/interesting I am all for it ...

Unfortunately, the current TDO will do one of three things;

1. Close COP to just slash operating costs.
2. Close COP to use the show building to house a new character meet and greet.
3. Let COP rot until it's uninhabitable or inoperable then gut the building for conference/event space.

misterID

If they closed COP it wouldn't just draw the ire of real WDW fans, but also DL and Disney buffs in general. This is a big part of the history of Walt Disney and even though TDO might not care, a lot of people would. It's an important attraction and if they shuttered it or demolished it I think it would draw a big backlash.

Which it should. It's BS not to care about your history that much to not even consider what it would mean by closing this attraction. TDO might not care about Disney's heritage... Or their parks for that matter, but a lot of people do. That's it. Get my pitch fork!

Sneezy62

Carousal of Progress represents the orderly progression of the past into the future. It states a futurist paradigm that the future is predicted to a great extent by the past and by studying what has happened we can deduce to a large extent what will happen. The idea is valid though long out of favor.Maybe that's why it seems that a lot of people don't connect with this show anymore.

My wife's reaction when we went was "That's nice, shouldn't we be looking for a spot to watch the parade?"

Florida_is_hot

I care about heritage too.
Just which more than 10 people were seated in a theater at any given time.

If Disney closes it, it would likely just stay empty.

Pirates of the Caribbean, I did think I hate it but it turned out ok.

Maybe they could just update the CoP

Make the scenes follow the Horizons story, talks about the future.
It would make people like me that miss Horizons happy.

ULPO46

There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow. It's my favortie show in all WDW. It was the only ride that Walt was able to personally work on. And it was his favorite one. To take it out would be a disgrace and exaclty Disney would have lost it's touch. But teens and the new generations won't care about COP. It should become WDW first protected project. It was an original ride and show that opened that October day back in '71. It would be sad. I never go to Disney World without at least going on the carousel of project ride. For my Microeconomics project i choose that ride and Progress city of an example of a dream that never was visiualized. But still will be in the heart of die hard fans. I am the carousel of progresses #1 fan. By the way were can you find a pin for it. I have never seen one that wasn't a really good fake.

Disnee4Me

I really like the idea of moving this to EPCOT. That's a brilliant idea.

I think Carousel of Progress originated at Disneyland, didn't it? And wasn't it moved from California to Florida when Disneyland got rid of it to build something else in Tomorrowland there. So if it was moved to EPCOT then it would be the second time this was moved.

Everything with connections to Tomorrowland is fascinating to me because I bet if Walt Disney was still alive he'd be stunned that so much of Tomorrowland is still around and has not been replaced with more innovative things. I think Carousel of Progress was a great attraction in its day...but my family does not enjoy it here in 2012. This is one of those attractions I will go on while my family is off doing the rides that are too intense for me, such as Space Mountain. By the time they are done waiting in line and going on Space Mountain I typically have watched Carousel of Progress...so it's a nice chance for me to sit and relax and watch the little show while they're off being adventurers on the coasters. I admit that sometimes I even enjoy a little nap in Carousel of Progress since it gets so dark in there!

This could be a nice attraction for EPCOT, since that park is supposed to be more adult and less thrill-ride. Let the real estate occupied by Carousel of Progress be reclaimed for something more fast-paced. In my opinion, Tomorrowland should be geared for teenagers...a place with high energy that they can be excited about. Get a high-energy ride in there and make Tomorrowland a place that the teens want to gravitate towards.

It always felt like an "EPCOT attraction" that got installed in the wrong park by mistake.
Actually I think Carousel of Progress premiered the the World's Fair in 1964-65. I could swear I saw it there first, along with It's A Small World

JWG

If the COP has to go, does that mean the PeopleMover would close, leaving us with a Disneyland style abandoned track?

With Alamo's huge sponsorship and impact on the PeopleMover, I'm sure the attraction is safe for decades to come...
We got new LED lights and the name changed back to PeopleMover afterall...

GeorgiaPinesRJB

I care about heritage too.
Just which more than 10 people were seated in a theater at any given time.

If Disney closes it, it would likely just stay empty.

Pirates of the Caribbean, I did think I hate it but it turned out ok.

Maybe they could just update the CoP

Make the scenes follow the Horizons story, talks about the future.
It would make people like me that miss Horizons happy.

Actually that's not a bad idea... Since Horizons was the "sequel" to COP, with that next generation of the same family... update the last scene to reflect some of today's technology, etc and then maybe add a new scene at the end that kind of shows a bit of Horizons? Like the family celebrating the birthday via video conference? Maybe do a post show that has something about the future. BOOM! Low-cost implementation, updates the ride and makes it new and exciting... Looks like all my fancy book-learnin' is finally paying off

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom