Is Carousel of Progress closing?

Should the Carousel of Progress close?

• Total voters

Rasvar

Without CoP all we will get at the end of everyday is a huge, ugly, meaningless, short sighted, disrespectful rest of our days. Not to mention an odd looking spot that the people mover will circle around.:(

Oh, Innoventions in DL!

I don't think I want them to try to update COP either. They would probably only shorten it since peoples attention span is so slow by just keeping it in continuous motion so you can drive by each set just like being on a highway on an interstate. But they would also add and iPhone/iPad app so you can see what you missed as you zoomed by!

Patricia Melton

Actually I think Carousel of Progress premiered the the World's Fair in 1964-65. I could swear I saw it there first, along with It's A Small World

Didn't it premiere there and then go to Disneyland?

I swear I read that in a Disney guide book somewhere...that they had Carousel at Disneyland for a number of years and then when TDA wanted to get rid of it they decided to just reinstall it at WDW because they needed attractions there. So they moved it across country.

I read that somewhere.

Goofyernmost

I swear I read that in a Disney guide book somewhere...that they had Carousel at Disneyland for a number of years and then when TDA wanted to get rid of it they decided to just reinstall it at WDW because they needed attractions there. So they moved it across country.

I read that somewhere.

You probably read it right here, it's been said about 40 times in this thread alone. :)

Walt's#1

I've read, and MANY places, I may add, that have said that at the end of 2013, Carousal of Progress is closing! I never heard it here, though, or any other place I constantly am checking anymore. Does anyone know the true fate of the Carousal? -Kelly
I will be devastated if they close this!
I've read, and MANY places, I may add, that have said that at the end of 2013, Carousal of Progress is closing! I never heard it here, though, or any other place I constantly am checking anymore. Does anyone know the true fate of the Carousal? -Kelly

Walt's#1

Please no! I love this attraction, it feels like a warm embrace from Walt. We must keep his spirit alive! It's so nice on a hot day to go in and get a Relaxing Walt fix. it is Walt that keeps me coming back every year. I am very happy for the return of the Tiki room.
I love to visit this attraction because it reminds me of simpler, perhaps happier times. This is a very heart warming experience and it should be preserved at all cost... Moving it to Epcot sounds like a great idea, if thats what it takes to keep it operating, but I love it right where it is. It could use an attractive, eye catching but nostalgic entrance face lift.... A tribute to Walt of sorts. this made it's debut the year I was born.
I feel the same way about small world, the Polynesian and Contemporary resorts. Etc. I believe I saw a reference to a place to write in regards to possible Disney changes on Tikiman pages site or Steve's Tikiman Facebook page. I am protesting this If it's true. Steve said they take these responses seriously.. The carousel of progress balances the original with the new. We must keep everyone happy, especially us diehard Walt fans!
Walt Disney World is progressing and growing in many exciting ways -But it is Walt's legacy and carousel is such a wonderful trip into Walt's Wonderful World and imagination....
"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow" and a yesterday that allowed us to have Disney's world come to life.

Patricia Melton

You know what would be a great attraction in my opinion?

An audio-animatronic of Walt Disney giving a presentation on the Disney parks through the years up until he was no longer with us...and maybe having him say what his family thinks he would say about how the parks have developed since his death.

That could be controversial...but I think it would be great to have Walt right there in the parks. Maybe as a hologram one day if technology gets to that point. Tomorrowland is the perfect place to have this.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

You know what would be a great attraction in my opinion?

An audio-animatronic of Walt Disney giving a presentation on the Disney parks through the years up until he was no longer with us...and maybe having him say what his family thinks he would say about how the parks have developed since his death.

That could be controversial...but I think it would be great to have Walt right there in the parks. Maybe as a hologram one day if technology gets to that point. Tomorrowland is the perfect place to have this.

tumblr_m6dy9pLEUP1qgkmueo1_500.jpg

puntagordabob

Forget Epcot.
There is no consideration/chance of it moving there. Ever.

Thanks for the Update Lee...

Is anyone else sick and tired of TDO always acting like they have no room and Hey lets rip out these two rides to give them this one new one?

Meanwhile over at Anaheim, TDA manages to add in many instances without removing things.....and they have far less land than WDW....

When I consider that comparrison between the two management mindsets it really ANNOYS ME........

Paul jr

You know what? I never think of that and this is a awesome idea!!:D I wonder if the imagenering team ever think of a Walt based attraction other than the museum like One's Man Dream?

prberk

I read that somewhere.

It moved to DL of course on purpose, like the rest of the attractions for the World's Fair that Walt built (it's a small world, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, etc.). Then it moved to Walt Disney World in part for the need of attractions, I am sure, but more because it fit perfectly into the concept. Remember that its progress theme was the overall goal in Walt's mind for "The Florida Project," the heart of which was to be the Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow.

Throughout the '70s, the WDW Magic Kingdom was promoted that it was just the beginning, that EPCOT was on its way (although behind the scenes they were not quite sure at first what to do with it). Walt always knew that the MK would make money, but EPCOT and the progress city theme were major goals for WDW from the very beginning. Bringing in The Carousel of Progress was a natural and helped tell the "story" of WDW.

Clever Name

CoP was a great commercial for GE in its day. But that day is done. GE has moved on. It's a shame that WDW still keeps CoP running. Disney needs to move forward.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom