Is Carousel of Progress closing?

Should the Carousel of Progress close?

• Total voters

Wojciehowicz

There are concepts for TL as we speak. One of which would almost certainly require removing CoP. But it would likely be a few years, yet.

Excuse this newbie to the WDWMagic forums for his impertinence, but what, if I may be so bold, do you base your wealth of inside information on?

njDizFan

OMG...this would be worse than putting a Starbucks on Main Street.

Actually, this would honestly upset me. I have quite a bit of fondness for this attraction. My pixie dust addled mind puts CoP as an equal to SM, BTMM and JC for MK standards.

EOD K9

and 3 years ago....

1/21/2009: "Rumor that I heard when I was at the park (from a guy who's cousin is a CM) is that they are moving the ENTIRE building to the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, DC. Since it is a landmark building. "

and 4 years ago...

1/31/2008: "While in line for SSE this past weekend, I overheard some people talking that next year they are dismantling the COP and moving it to the Smithsonian. The guy who said it claimed to be a cast member."

and 5 years ago...
4/12/2007: "a friend of mine who is very much into keeping up on disney happeneing told me a few days ago that they're going to close carousel of progress and put it in the Smithsonian"
3/26/2007: "Also, unconfirmed rumors are circulating that Carousel of Progress will be entering the Smithsonian in 2009 along with the Enchanted Tiki Room but you didn't hear it from me."

and 9 years ago....
5/11/2004: "Has anybody heard anything about Carousel of Progress being donated to the Smithsonian? It's probably just a rumor, but on the other hand, its something that I haven't heard before. "
I live just outside of DC....so having that near me would be awesome!! Now to start my own rumor....WoL will be closed and refurbed into the WoW (Wonders of Weather) Pavilion. I heard this from a friend who heard it from a friend who is friends with the cousin of custodial worker who is dating the nephew of a bus driver. So its gotta be true!!

Frank Rizzo

That last scene needs to be updated. My mom has the same sweater that patty has on from 1994... LOL! I wasn't even born then...
This reminds me of a funny thing that happened to us a while back. We were enjoying La Nouba quite a bit when we noticed one of the clown performers wearing an ugly house dress. What happened to be so hilarious was that this was the same house dress me and my brother had been laughing at on my mom for years. :)

afar28

If CoP closed, Disney would have officially lost touch. That would be a disgrace to Walt Disney, Richard and our dearly departed Robert Sherman, all the delegates and representatives of every country displayed at the 1964 World's Fair, every Tom, Dick and Harry who worked at WE'D Enterprises, and the tons and tons of people who have visited any Disney park all over the world. CoP is the display center and basis of Walt's life concept. Progress. That was the whole idea Walt had in life. Destroying this beloved attraction would destroy the meaning of Mr. Disney's life and destroy and small sliver of creativity left at Disney.
:mad:
(rant over)
I agree. Well put

djlaosc

Welllllll.....not necessarily a really long time.. There are concepts for TL as we speak. One of which would almost certainly require removing CoP.
But it would likely be a few years, yet.

Do these plans have any chance of happening? I remember you talking about plans for Tomorrowland a couple of years ago that included Tron (and a really long queue), but then they got cancelled.

djlaosc

I find it very ironic that people are recommending an outdated attraction go to EPCOT, where people are always complaining that its no longer futuristic enough.

I think the difference with that though is that it could fit in Epcot in the right setting.

Innoventions - is about Innovation, and Inventions - that's what CoP was about - the innovations and inventions that have happened throughout the century and how they affected family life - so, it could show innovation/inventions of the past, and then it could have a post-show that could reflect the future.

Paired with Horizons - CoP showed the last XXX years, and Horizons shows the future XXX years.

Obviously, the Horizons one is not going to happen, and the Innoventions one is extremely unlikely, but it could fit in Epcot.

Beholder

It's been suggested before, but placing the late, great extinct attractions from Disney would be a great park unto itself, however unlikely. That being said, I would hate for CoP to disappear from WDW's landscape. Though being part of my childhood isn't a reason to keep it around, it does occupy a place in my heart. Disney must embrace the future, without losing perspective or reverence for it's past.

The Empress Lilly

Excuse this newbie to the WDWMagic forums for his impertinence, but what, if I may be so bold, do you base your wealth of inside information on?
We - me and my colleagues at TDO - keep Lee in the loop. Well, rather, we got him through this special government program, they subsidise his workplace to get people like him out of the house. But he is not without use. We - me and Meg - have trained him to bring us coffee and fill the paper in our printers. However, this means he has a tendency to just wander into our offices and catch us unawares. He is surprisingly quick with his camera, usually has snapped a pic or two before I even got a chance to pull up my trousers. He then blackmails us with these, threatening to sell them to Lou Mongello. So we have no choice but to throw him a few bones every now and then.

JWG

I'm not to worried. Plans on the table today are plans scrapped tomorrow are plans built in 15 years.

DarthGrady

Whether it is left in place or moved to ECPOT Center, I just hope they refresh the Christmas scene. It's laughably outdated and run down, with only a few modern bits thrown on top in a futile attempt to keep it fresh. Its kind of an allegory for WDW as a whole at this point.

MerlinTheGoat

Forget Epcot.
There is no consideration/chance of it moving there. Ever.
Then it should be left where it is now. With a good update for the last scene (not to mention a refurb to get the rest of the scenes all clean and new looking). I would be incredibly sad to see it shuttered for good. It still seems to get a somewhat decent amount of people in theaters from all the times I've visited (once during the holidays the theater was even pretty much full).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom