Is Carousel of Progress closing?

Should the Carousel of Progress close?

• Total voters

alphac2005

Both my wife and I love Carousal Of Progress. It would be very sad to see it go. If it does happen,lets just hope something amazing and revolutionary replaces it.

One of my boys, who's 9, he loves it. Absolutely loves it. The song, the rotating building, the characters. Just because society keeps screaming that kids don't have attention spans and can't enjoy anything that isn't on a screen, reality says something else.

Clever Name

I don't think the poster realizes that we get it: They don't like COP and they don't want anyone else to either.
Quite the contrary. I've been a fan of CoP since its advent. I even own a GE refrigerator, GE range and the main service panel for my house is full of GE circuit breakers, GFI's and a whole house surge arrestor. All of the electrical switches, outlets, CFL's and LED's in my house are genuine GE products as well. Progress is important to me.

I used to have incandescent lights in my house but I replaced most of them (the range and refrigerator lights are still incandescents) with CFL's and LED's as appropriate. I just put up the Christmas tree today. I replaced all the old lights with new LED lights a couple years ago. I used to play Christmas music from my 33 LP's and then my CD's. Now I play all my Christmas music from a hard drive or Pandora. It's the same music, just a different delivery system. CoP is a relic of the 20th century.

Here's one our family Christmas music favorites:

Paul jr

Quite the contrary. I've been a fan of CoP since its advent. I even own a GE refrigerator, GE range and the main service panel for my house is full of GE circuit breakers, GFI's and a whole house surge arrestor. All of the electrical switches, outlets, CFL's and LED's in my house are genuine GE products as well. Progress is important to me.

I used to have incandescent lights in my house but I replaced most of them (the range and refrigerator lights are still incandescents) with CFL's and LED's as appropriate. I just put up the Christmas tree today. I replaced all the old lights with new LED lights a couple years ago. I used to play Christmas music from my 33 LP's and then my CD's. Now I play all my Christmas music from a hard drive or Pandora. It's the same music, just a different delivery system. CoP is a relic of the 20th century.

I totally agree, TDO should replace the Main Street Emporium by a Target and Cassey's Corner by Taco Bell. We live at the 21th century now! BTW this is irony!!!

Clever Name

I totally agree, TDO should replace the Main Street Emporium by a Target and Cassey's Corner by Taco Bell. We live at the 21th century now! BTW this is irony!!!
Main Street USA is not part of Tomorrowland. You know what is really ironic is that just a few short years ago I bought most of my Christmas presents in brick and mortar stores. This year and last year I bought most of my Christmas gifts online and got discount prices, no sales tax and free delivery! The CoP family is still playing Space Invaders. Times are changing rapidly.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Main Street USA is not part of Tomorrowland. You know what is really ironic is that just a few short years ago I bought most of my Christmas presents in brick and mortar stores. This year and last year I bought most of my Christmas gifts online and got discount prices, no sales tax and free delivery! The CoP family is still playing Space Invaders. Times are changing
That's what happens when you allocate a meagre budget to an attraction. Don't blame the attraction for the company's lack of investment.

misterID

I'm glad you're a GE fan. But you might want to take your posts off "repeat" in this thread.

TylerFG

One of my boys, who's 9, he loves it. Absolutely loves it. The song, the rotating building, the characters. Just because society keeps screaming that kids don't have attention spans and can't enjoy anything that isn't on a screen, reality says something else.

Hell, COP was the first thing I ever did on my first ever trip to WDW, when I was 8, and I loved it! Today, I can't go to WDW with out seeing it at least twice.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Main Street USA is not part of Tomorrowland. You know what is really ironic is that just a few short years ago I bought most of my Christmas presents in brick and mortar stores. This year and last year I bought most of my Christmas gifts online and got discount prices, no sales tax and free delivery! The CoP family is still playing Space Invaders. Times are changing rapidly.
And Mom & Pop stores everywhere thank you for helping to put them out of business.

Your local community thanks you for helping to support the tax base that pays for the very services that you use on a daily basis.

You are a real trooper.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And Mom & Pop stores everywhere thank you for helping to put them out of business.

Your local community thanks you for helping to support the tax base that pays for the very services that you use on a daily basis.

You are a real trooper.

In PA they started charging for sales tax now for online purchases. No more 6% discount built in at Amazon. For me, I support local businesses by pulling up a bar stool and throwing down a cold one. Amazon still hasn't figured out how to sell me that experience online;)

The Empress Lilly

You are a real trooper.
That's what the telegram delivery boy and the blacksmith said to Walt when he bought a telephone and swapped his horse for a car.

Every scene of the CoP makes the community organisation of the previous scene obsolete. Progress is a double-edged sword.

Not that the downside has a place in WDW. Disney always focuses on the positive. Frontierland's focus is about the advance of one society, not about the one at whose expense this is achieved. Adventureland is about mid-century Western orientalism and exoticism, the subjects of these exotic lands...well, let's leave that for another thread. And Tomorowland is about progress, mostly material progress. There are no factory chimnies in TL, no slums, no vulnerable classes exposed to the destabilising effects of another invention uprooting their traditional ways or means of existence.

Expo_Seeker40

I don't see how the Carousel of Progress is an irrelevant attraction, when numerous Disney attractions inside and out of the Magic Kingdom deal with stories that take place in the past whether through non-fiction, science fiction, or pure fantasy.

Without looking at our past, we can't build a better tomorrow, and I think Carousel of Progress is still relevant for the MK, and Tomorrowland.

It worked very well until the 80s. The world's fair version, disneyland version, and 1975 WDW version all had about 20 years between each Act. By the 80s the gap between Act III and IV got wide and with the 1994 refurb, got even worse.

There is no clear explanation in the preshow or load theatre...are we seeing the 1964 world's fair version, what exactly is this ride serving a tribute to and why does it end in an accurate future that has become dated?

There are a few things that need to be addressed with the show itself, but a refurb can easily fix that. A wrecking ball can't.

Timekeeper

I don't see how the Carousel of Progress is an irrelevant attraction, when numerous Disney attractions inside and out of the Magic Kingdom deal with stories that take place in the past whether through non-fiction, science fiction, or pure fantasy.

Wait, you mean to tell me that classics like Pirates and Haunted Mansion are not depictions of life in the present-day? o_O

There are a few things that need to be addressed with the show itself, but a refurb can easily fix that. A wrecking ball can't.

Exactly. :)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
That's what the telegram delivery boy and the blacksmith said to Walt when he bought a telephone and swapped his horse for a car.

Every scene of the CoP makes the community organisation of the previous scene obsolete. Progress is a double-edged sword.

Not that the downside has a place in WDW. Disney always focuses on the positive. Frontierland's focus is about the advance of one society, not about the one at whose expense this is achieved. Adventureland is about mid-century Western orientalism and exoticism, the subjects of these exotic lands...well, let's leave that for another thread. And Tomorowland is about progress, mostly material progress. There are no factory chimnies in TL, no slums, no vulnerable classes exposed to the destabilising effects of another invention uprooting their traditional ways or means of existence.
So you agree with Clever Name's assertion that since we have the internet that the CoP should be shuttered?

The Empress Lilly

So you agree with Clever Name's assertion that since we have the internet that the CoP should be shuttered?
hein.gif

WDW1974

Are the rumors about CoP closing at the end of 2013 true? Yes, yes they actually are. And even the Spirit has some interesting Spirited sources. (Though I believe I heard even Tom-screen technology-Fitzgerald himself has become bored with the attraction.)

Let's look at the CoP and how Disney fanboys say Disney Parks are not/shouldn't be museums.

As well as my affordable solution to "fixing" the CoP.

The Carousel of Progress is the only rotating theatre show in the world. At one time there were three of them, each one a Disney creation: CoP, America Sings, and Meet the World at Tokyo Disneyland.

It is the oldest attraction in all of WDW, predating the resort's 1971 opening. It is the only attraction at WDW to have been physically and directly worked on by Walt Disney himself. The other attractions to open at WDW in 1971 were also worked on by Walt's original team of Imagineers, but he was dead by the time the MK attractions were being created.

The CoP is the only Disney attraction to move twice. From NY to CA, and then from CA to FL.

It is true that Walt enjoyed working on the CoP, whether it was his favorite or not would have depended on what Imagineer was alive at the time to tell you their side of the story.

I think with Walt's health crippling, the CoP became a reflection of his life's mission...an attraction that reflects on our past and helps us teach and learn how far we've come while giving us hope for a better tomorrow.

The CoP and Lincoln were the first Disney attractions to use Human AA Figures. The CoP was also the first to use realistic dog and cat AA's. The first three acts, not significantly altered from their original 1964 look, are full of genuine antiques props and decor.

So...with all this history, can CoP fit into a Disney park today? Absolutely. When Disneyland and even the MK first opened, they were both American History parks. It took years before their Tomorrowlands became briefly futuristic, and that was only a 1/5 futuristic part of a park that was mainly about the past or classic fantasy stories that take place in the past.

Also look at the way WDW has been marketed for a full generation: family, friends, magical moments, childhood nostalgia, wishes, yearning for hope. The CoP easily fits into this relevant marketing category.

If we look at the physical side of the MK, do we need not see what a museum the MK has become? They are running an evening parade from the 1970s that will be replaced by an evening parade from 1992. Their fireworks show is from 2003. Their afternoon parade floats in some cases date back to the 90s and 80s.

The MK still has Swiss Family, a retro Tiki Room 2.0 show, the fantasy/18th and 19th century safari adventure called the jungle cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean that takes place way back when, a frontierland with fantasy-like singing bears (Though I saw some singing bears in the parking lot of a Publix in Palm Beach one time)

Tom Sawyer Island, HM which takes place in the post colonial era. Liberty Square, and Fantasyland.

So now, we have Tomorrowland..a land that was never completed in 1994 and half of it is still cosmetically stuck in the 1970s.

The land is a total mish-mash of random attractions; there is no central spaceport theme. They sort of did that with the 2009 Space Mountain refurb, but it tends to get lost.

Can the CoP fit in the MK in 2012 and beyond? Certainly. Especially with the amount of nostalgic, fantasy-themed, and family oriented, childhood-like attractions already there.

How does the CoP stay relevant? It already used an incredible rotating theatre and features a likeable cast of characters, but the show is stuck in 1994. The animatronics, sound, and light aren't working correctly. The script is terrible. The main actor can't sing at all. The show looks tired and unkept to first time or occasional guests. It has lost it's wow factor because of the way it is maintained and it's lack of promotion or advertising. It sits in the corner of tomorrowland and with it's high load capacity, it generates a very small line, causing people to even wonder if the ride is open.

How do we fix the CoP? Do what Space Mountain is doing with this starport theme or hopefully do what Tomorrowland 94 tried to do...an intergalactic community.

With a brand new preshow and with the help of advertising and promotion, not only could Disney promote this ride through more fan communities and events like D23 they can also promote it to a wider audience online and through SOCIAL MEDIA.

My idea for a reimagined Carousel of Progress has it reopening on April 22, 2014...it's 50th anniversary. With a social media campaign taking place before that.

The new backstory is that the CoP was created by a great human imagineer and inventor called Walt Disney, years and years later the ride then went on to the intergalactic fair and is now being promoted by the tomorrowland metro retro historical society. The CoP would be desguised as a UFO, to make it look like the show is contained inside the UFO and is shipped around the galaxy on tour to show what human life back then was like and what it may be like in the future.

This would all be explained in the 4-5 preshow.

Inside, a repainted and refreshened theatre, a 4-5 minute preshow plays on a movie screen surrounded by curtains and mood lighting. As people exit and are seated, they learn more about the attraction. A remastered version of the 1964 orchestral soundtrack plays in the background. The movie screen then morphs into a digital display (Like what was done at Disney Parks' recent exhibit: carousel of projects) into the 1964 GE kaleidophonic screens. A new cast of voices are hired as the family. Acts 1-4 are similar to what they were at the 1964 world's fair. By turning the stage of the unload theatre into another act, Act 5, this bonus ending is showing how the tomorrowland metro retro historical society thinks humans may be in the future compared to act 4 and how walt disney saw it during the world's fair. This last scene can always be updated when needed, and everytime a new cast of voices is needed, they just read off the set-in-stone script for acts 1-4, plus the new script for act 5 so that their voices are included in every scene.

The CoP will never go to Epcot. At most, if it is removed, I do hope that Acts 1-3 find homes in museums or preserved somehow.

I feel the CoP is very relevant in the MK today, but needs TLC badly.

Great post, Expo. I think your last sentence says it all.
The CoP CAN be relevant, but it needs to be made so. That desire has to be there.

You provide one way above, but there are many. It is a relic now and that is so sad on so many levels that you stated above.

The problem bluntly is that TDO believes, perhaps correctly, that the MK is heavy with AA-shows. They had no choice, but to fix the Tiki Room. The CBJ is still quite popular, no matter what some say. And the HoP wasn't going anywhere. Yeah, that leaves CoP sitting with a huge target on it. The fact it sits near a major expansion pad don't help either.

I want to see CoP go on ... I really do ... I just wish there was a desire in both TDO AND WDI (because they need a plan that will fill seats). There isn't. On either front.

Goofyernmost

Many of us that have been going for many years find CoP to be a must see on every trip. It's corny as hell, has a gasping need to get some upgrading and to some is a relic. I have two distinct connections with it. My first trip my children were young and CoP was "now is the time" mode. We loved the song, sang it all the way home from Florida to Vermont, at the time. Years later when I brought my children, their husbands and children to WDW as a family, they took many pictures and had a slide show set to "now is the time". I never said anything about it, it was a surprise for me, but the song was significant to them as a memory.

In the early 2000's when life seemed to tank for me. My business, due to no fault of my own had to be closed, my wife left (again, nothing to do with me) and my children married and left home (as it should be). At the same time I took a job that I hated and everything I had worked for seemed to fall away. I was depressed beyond imagination. I made a solo trip to WDW just to see if I could break out of the funk I was in. By this time they had switched back to "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow". The timing couldn't be better. It was like an omen to me. I had gone from Now is the best time of my life to massive depression and there was the same wonderful show telling me that Tomorrow was going to be beautiful. I don't know why but the message didn't go unnoticed by me. It kind of charged me up and made me feel that maybe I could pull my fat butt out of the fire and make a new life, because that was all yesterday and tomorrow will be better. It was right. Things turned around for me and my life to this point is better then ever.

CoP is more then just a show to me, it is almost a miracle of timing and message. If Disney decides to end it's life, I don't think I will ever look at the place the same again. It will be lacking in the class, magic and warmth that Walt wanted it to be and become just another theme park. I don't want Disney World to become just another Theme Park.

Clever Name

CoP isn't going to go away, but it will change:

Make way, make way
Tomorrow's heading our way
Make way, make way
Tomorrow's coming today

Oh, a bright new morning is dawning
Make way for tomorrow today
Yes a new tomorrow's a morning
To light up a great new day

Oh the future's brimming with promise
And the promise is heading our way
So keep your eyes on that shining horizon

Daring new devices will help us to succeed
Better tools for living will meet our every need
Incredible inventions through new technology
Extending life's dimensions for all humanity

Modern marvels rising around us
Bring progress in dazzling display
So keep your eyes on that shining horizon

Make way for tomorrow today!

The Empress Lilly

I would restore the CoP to the 1975 version, emphasise the 'Walt Disney's' in WD's CoP, and move the Partners statue next to the entrance. The CoP as much as Mickey Mouse and Snow White is what Walt was all about. With the current cult of personality of Walt, that could help. It would also solve the problem of how to update the CoP without a sixty year gap between the final scenes.

But then, in TL I would also burn down all of Buzz, Stitch and Monsters before laying but a finger on the CoP.

aladdin2007

I would restore the CoP to the 1975 version, emphasise the 'Walt Disney's' in WD's CoP, and move the Partners statue next to the entrance. The CoP as much as Mickey Mouse and Snow White is what Walt was all about. With the current cult of personality of Walt, that could help. It would also solve the problem of how to update the CoP without a sixty year gap between the final scenes.

But then, in TL I would also burn down all of Buzz, Stitch and Monsters before laying but a finger on the CoP.

Great post/plan for COP, especially with the 50th anniversary not all that far away, it would be nice if they would restore COP and make it shine again and make it Walt's. But I guess the plan is to let it go and rott until they have no choice but to do away with it, and come up with some excuse that it was just old so it had to go. They will probably do that right before the 50th, the way they took out Snow White right before the 40th. :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom