Is Carousel of Progress closing?

Should the Carousel of Progress close?

• Total voters

jdmdisney99

CoP started out being a ride enjoyed by adults at the World's Fair. Recently, I really enjoyed the ride as a little kid and, like others, my dad always fell asleep...Wierd...Little kids must like progress.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It's not a question of if CoP will close down, it's a question of when.
It's not a matter of if the world will end, it's a question of when.

Just as any doomsayer will tell you, if you predict enough things, one of them will eventually come true.

The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.

JWG

The cast members already have a huge parking lot. The parking lot that is inside the park is for the privileged few that should be parking where the rest of the CM park.

That whole area should be re-imagineered to become new attraction space.

I was kidding and agree with you. I thought eliminating the theater so we could all huddle around a stage in the middle of the walkway was just swell too.

celluloid

Also something needs to be done as we all know to refurbish and alter the show to at least keep it fresh..or at the very least looking the best it can, but a part of that and what could be done easily now is change the entrance ramp area. It is so ugly. It is just a bunch of dirty concrete.

Paul jr

Every time I come back to this thread I start singing. Any attraction that causes a reaction like that can't be bad. :D

There's a great BIG beautiful tomorrow...
SOOOOO true! Plus,I tell to my self some part of the sripts, like; "I even hear of two brothers from North Carolina who are working on some kind of flying contraption. It'll never gona work"
Carousel_of_Progress_1920.jpg

Thrill Seeker

It's not a question of if CoP will close down, it's a question of when. WDW is not a museum. At least not yet.

Disney also isn't Universal. They take pride in their classic attractions. Disney wouldn't remove Jungle Cruise because it takes up a lot of room and replace it with some modern property... CoP is a classic attraction that shouldn't be removed. I'd be ok with it being re-located to Epcot (Innoventions would be a nice spot for it), but not removed.

If you're gonna remove something to expand Tomorrowland, Tomorrowland Speedway should be the top candidate along with Stitch.

Expo_Seeker40

Are the rumors about CoP closing at the end of 2013 true? Yes, yes they actually are. And even the Spirit has some interesting Spirited sources. (Though I believe I heard even Tom-screen technology-Fitzgerald himself has become bored with the attraction.)

Let's look at the CoP and how Disney fanboys say Disney Parks are not/shouldn't be museums.

As well as my affordable solution to "fixing" the CoP.

The Carousel of Progress is the only rotating theatre show in the world. At one time there were three of them, each one a Disney creation: CoP, America Sings, and Meet the World at Tokyo Disneyland.

It is the oldest attraction in all of WDW, predating the resort's 1971 opening. It is the only attraction at WDW to have been physically and directly worked on by Walt Disney himself. The other attractions to open at WDW in 1971 were also worked on by Walt's original team of Imagineers, but he was dead by the time the MK attractions were being created.

The CoP is the only Disney attraction to move twice. From NY to CA, and then from CA to FL.

It is true that Walt enjoyed working on the CoP, whether it was his favorite or not would have depended on what Imagineer was alive at the time to tell you their side of the story.

I think with Walt's health crippling, the CoP became a reflection of his life's mission...an attraction that reflects on our past and helps us teach and learn how far we've come while giving us hope for a better tomorrow.

The CoP and Lincoln were the first Disney attractions to use Human AA Figures. The CoP was also the first to use realistic dog and cat AA's. The first three acts, not significantly altered from their original 1964 look, are full of genuine antiques props and decor.

So...with all this history, can CoP fit into a Disney park today? Absolutely. When Disneyland and even the MK first opened, they were both American History parks. It took years before their Tomorrowlands became briefly futuristic, and that was only a 1/5 futuristic part of a park that was mainly about the past or classic fantasy stories that take place in the past.

Also look at the way WDW has been marketed for a full generation: family, friends, magical moments, childhood nostalgia, wishes, yearning for hope. The CoP easily fits into this relevant marketing category.

If we look at the physical side of the MK, do we need not see what a museum the MK has become? They are running an evening parade from the 1970s that will be replaced by an evening parade from 1992. Their fireworks show is from 2003. Their afternoon parade floats in some cases date back to the 90s and 80s.

The MK still has Swiss Family, a retro Tiki Room 2.0 show, the fantasy/18th and 19th century safari adventure called the jungle cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean that takes place way back when, a frontierland with fantasy-like singing bears (Though I saw some singing bears in the parking lot of a Publix in Palm Beach one time)

Tom Sawyer Island, HM which takes place in the post colonial era. Liberty Square, and Fantasyland.

So now, we have Tomorrowland..a land that was never completed in 1994 and half of it is still cosmetically stuck in the 1970s.

The land is a total mish-mash of random attractions; there is no central spaceport theme. They sort of did that with the 2009 Space Mountain refurb, but it tends to get lost.

Can the CoP fit in the MK in 2012 and beyond? Certainly. Especially with the amount of nostalgic, fantasy-themed, and family oriented, childhood-like attractions already there.

How does the CoP stay relevant? It already used an incredible rotating theatre and features a likeable cast of characters, but the show is stuck in 1994. The animatronics, sound, and light aren't working correctly. The script is terrible. The main actor can't sing at all. The show looks tired and unkept to first time or occasional guests. It has lost it's wow factor because of the way it is maintained and it's lack of promotion or advertising. It sits in the corner of tomorrowland and with it's high load capacity, it generates a very small line, causing people to even wonder if the ride is open.

How do we fix the CoP? Do what Space Mountain is doing with this starport theme or hopefully do what Tomorrowland 94 tried to do...an intergalactic community.

With a brand new preshow and with the help of advertising and promotion, not only could Disney promote this ride through more fan communities and events like D23 they can also promote it to a wider audience online and through SOCIAL MEDIA.

My idea for a reimagined Carousel of Progress has it reopening on April 22, 2014...it's 50th anniversary. With a social media campaign taking place before that.

The new backstory is that the CoP was created by a great human imagineer and inventor called Walt Disney, years and years later the ride then went on to the intergalactic fair and is now being promoted by the tomorrowland metro retro historical society. The CoP would be desguised as a UFO, to make it look like the show is contained inside the UFO and is shipped around the galaxy on tour to show what human life back then was like and what it may be like in the future.

This would all be explained in the 4-5 preshow.

Inside, a repainted and refreshened theatre, a 4-5 minute preshow plays on a movie screen surrounded by curtains and mood lighting. As people exit and are seated, they learn more about the attraction. A remastered version of the 1964 orchestral soundtrack plays in the background. The movie screen then morphs into a digital display (Like what was done at Disney Parks' recent exhibit: carousel of projects) into the 1964 GE kaleidophonic screens. A new cast of voices are hired as the family. Acts 1-4 are similar to what they were at the 1964 world's fair. By turning the stage of the unload theatre into another act, Act 5, this bonus ending is showing how the tomorrowland metro retro historical society thinks humans may be in the future compared to act 4 and how walt disney saw it during the world's fair. This last scene can always be updated when needed, and everytime a new cast of voices is needed, they just read off the set-in-stone script for acts 1-4, plus the new script for act 5 so that their voices are included in every scene.

The CoP will never go to Epcot. At most, if it is removed, I do hope that Acts 1-3 find homes in museums or preserved somehow.

I feel the CoP is very relevant in the MK today, but needs TLC badly.

celluloid

Disney also isn't Universal. They take pride in their classic attractions. Disney wouldn't remove Jungle Cruise because it takes up a lot of room and replace it with some modern property... CoP is a classic attraction that shouldn't be removed. I'd be ok with it being re-located to Epcot (Innoventions would be a nice spot for it), but not removed.

If you're gonna remove something to expand Tomorrowland, Tomorrowland Speedway should be the top candidate along with Stitch.

Yeah but if Jeff Foxxworthy had a new hit family show on ABC you could see the dad from CoP changed to that character within a few days. Don't confuse pride with laziness and lack of budget. If there was still pride in that attraction it would not of gone nearly 18 years in now as its 1994 status. I mean don't get me wrong I agree with you, but Disney has no shame in tying in properties to themes that don't make sense. Former tiki room and Tomorrowland are perfect examples of this.

The Empress Lilly

Yeah ! Just after I posted it I realised that the picture is from the second scene and the quote is from the first! :confused: I feel a little bit of shame here!:oops:
Wait...I didn't catch that either. :oops:
I was too busy looking at the pic, admiring all that detail up close, loving the history of it all. The experiences of previous generations captured in a few quotes and sets.

Clever Name

The problem is that the Speedway draws big crowds and so does Jungle Cruise. CoP only draws a small number of guests and most of them seem to be either neophytes or fanboy geeks. The neophytes generally feel as if they've been duped and don't return. Disney is not in the business of saving old attractions because they are "classics".

Gonzo79

Both my wife and I love Carousal Of Progress. It would be very sad to see it go. If it does happen,lets just hope something amazing and revolutionary replaces it.

cheezbat

The problem is that the Speedway draws big crowds and so does Jungle Cruise. CoP only draws a small number of guests and most of them seem to be either neophytes or fanboy geeks. The neophytes generally feel as if they've been duped and don't return. Disney is not in the business of saving old attractions because they are "classics".

The crowds for the Speedway aren't ever really that big...it just seems like it because it doesn't have a great capacity nor does it have a fast load time. For the massive amount if space it takes up, they surely are not taking in the numbers. Heck, the could probably build three omnimovers in its place and increase the capacity by like six times!

Carousel of Progress is a classic that over time has grown on me, but it does need an update.

I just hope that the order of expansion in Tomorrowland goes from using the old Galaxy Theater/backstage parking first, then Stitch, then Monsters, then Speedway, and CoP last.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
CoP doesn't draw crowds. It's an historic relic.
In your opinion.

We consistently enjoyed 1/3-1/2 full theatres in October.

Speedway, using your example, has horrendous and inefficient load and unload procedures. It was second only to 20K back in the day to being a bottleneck. Hence the wait times. The CoP is a people eater. Hence the shorter lines.

And how did you deduce "most of them seem to be either neophytes or fanboy geeks" as you put it?

misterID

In your opinion.

We consistently enjoyed 1/3-1/2 full theatres in October.

Speedway, using your example, has horrendous and inefficient load and unload procedures. It was second only to 20K back in the day to being a bottleneck. Hence the wait times. The CoP is a people eater. Hence the shorter lines.

And how did you deduce "most of them seem to be either neophytes or fanboy geeks" as you put it?
I don't think the poster realizes that we get it: They don't like COP and they don't want anyone else to either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom