Is Carousel of Progress closing?

Should the Carousel of Progress close?

• Total voters

Goofnut1980

The biggest problem with COP is the story now jumps through too much unfamiliar territory. Recall when it first started, you had simple 20 year jumps. Even at 40 years back, a lot of the audience was able to recognize it in their life. Now it jumps from the 1940's to the 2000's (and not even a good representation of the 2000's anymore). Maybe a re-imaging could be a simple as going from 20 year jumps to 40 year jumps. Go 1900 to 1940 to 1980 to 2020. Keep the same idea but modernize it. Bring it to a time that the audience can connect with. the other option is to keep the 20 year jump and start in the 1960's where the original COP left off. See if you can get Apple to sponsor it.

I couldn't agree more! Why can't they move the 1st actual scene to the opening stage. They could fit it a tad for space... Then it would allow them to add a while new scene with the shift. Also, move the last scene to the actual last stage and thus allowing more room for another scene... I know it could be done with a little pixie dust and some magic.

DisneyCane

I couldn't agree more! Why can't they move the 1st actual scene to the opening stage. They could fit it a tad for space... Then it would allow them to add a while new scene with the shift. Also, move the last scene to the actual last stage and thus allowing more room for another scene... I know it could be done with a little pixie dust and some magic.

Because you need time for people to enter/exit. Maybe you could do both at the same stage and add one scene.

SoupBone

I want an On the record source on this.

I would as well. There are several insiders that post on this forum, but I haven't looked back through the thread to see if they commented.

I've also been seeing rumors about Wishes. Is it gone and I've been living under a rock, or is it about to be shelved?

PhotoDave219

I would as well. There are several insiders that post on this forum, but I haven't looked back through the thread to see if they commented.

I've also been seeing rumors about Wishes. Is it gone and I've been living under a rock, or is it about to be shelved?

Okay, typical internet rumor-mongering and should be treated as such. Thanks.

djlaosc

WDW1974 said this on Tuesday December 4th 2012...

The first part is VERY troubling given that TDO is looking to shutter CoP in the near future. But, again, this is their MO. You don't update attractions, you don't maintain them, you don't advertise them and then you use the lower guest counts as an excuse to do what you always wanted to do to begin with.

...I don't think anything has been said about it since...

jlsHouston

wow.. I like this attraction..I am going to make a point of seeing it several times next trip. I sure like it better than the stitch one or that tiki bird show.

koryadams

My question would be, why would they close it? Walt would be upset with how things have turned out and then close an original attraction from World's Fair?! Then if they do that, close Hall Of Presidents and Tiki Room and It's a small world! why not! :mad: I just wouldn't be able to go there anymore....Carousel Of Progress is more than a show/attraction. It's history, and one of the only connections we have with Walt now! Oh and, it's the longest running show in the history of American Theatre!!!

koryadams

That last scene needs to be updated. My mom has the same sweater that patty has on from 1994... LOL! I wasn't even born then...
Yeah, their clothes and the laptop are the only things that need updated. Unless what Patty gets is an ipad or kindle or nook lol

Mickey1984

Would not want to see it closed, is a classic and one of Walt's babies. But would be nice to either refurb the final scene, or as somebody else has suggest shift all the scenes round 1, and use the first scene as the final and new scene - dont know how loading / unloading would work though LOL - guess thats why I'm not an imagineer ;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
My question would be, why would they close it? Walt would be upset with how things have turned out and then close an original attraction from World's Fair?! Then if they do that, close Hall Of Presidents and Tiki Room and It's a small world! why not! :mad: I just wouldn't be able to go there anymore....Carousel Of Progress is more than a show/attraction. It's history, and one of the only connections we have with Walt now! Oh and, it's the longest running show in the history of American Theatre!!!

Probably a simple cost/benefit business decision. The value they think they are getting from it is outweighed by the cost of running it. With that said, I talk all COP rumors with huge grain of salt since "COP Closing" is one of the most persistent WDW Internet rumors.

alphac2005

Probably a simple cost/benefit business decision. The value they think they are getting from it is outweighed by the cost of running it. With that said, I talk all COP rumors with huge grain of salt since "COP Closing" is one of the most persistent WDW Internet rumors.

I've been reading forums since the mid-90s about WDW and CoP closing has been a "rumored" since that time. Until grandma's virtual reality glasses are turned off for good, I think we'll keep seeing it go round and round, no matter how tattered it all looks.

midwest_mice

I really don't see why they would close it. It doesn't take too many cast members to run it and the only thing that needs updated is the few minor details in the Christmas scene. Otherwise, if the other show scenes seem tathered, it adds to the "old" look!

ratherbeinwdw

Nowhere else will young people today see what life was like back in the early 1900's. I don't think they should touch the first scenes, as far as content, but they could update the last one.
There is plenty of modern technology throughout wdw. This was the past. Kids need to know how hard/different life was without the constant entertainment of today. They need to see that people could enjoy themselves without being attached to a phone, tv or computer.
It shows progress very well. Nothing says it has to show modern progress. You have Epcot for that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom