Is Burton's Alice in Wonderland OK for children?

noname70

Original Poster
I was hoping those who have seen the new Alice film could discuss it's age appropriateness for children. Granted, this decision will vary depending on the individual family but general info and guidelines would certainly be helpful.

Thanks

fractal

Just came back from it with my 8 year old daughter.

First of all, the movie is awesome! I found it more enjoyable than Avatar. We both enjoyed it more than Princess and the Frog.

There are really two scary-intense parts when she turned away and grabbed my hand - one when Alice first gets to Wonderland and one near the end. Both parts were great action scenes btw.

Other than that there was nothing that I found inappropriate for her and I thought the movie offered a great lesson in leading your own life.

Tip Top Club

There is a general air of forbodding through the whole movie and some definitely odd bits.

The climax sequence could be a bit intense (Comparable to the Third or Forth Harry Potter Films if you've seen them), and there are some odd and strange bits (it's wonderland of course) Notably a river of floating heads (off with their head) from the queen and one or two action sequences, but other then that it should be reletively age appropriate.

Kingman1283

I just got back from it. Its actually pretty intense for a Disney movie.
I don't think its anything your children couldnt handle though.
Go ahead and take them. :cool:

voodoo321

Took my 7 and 5 year old daughters. There was nothing too intense for them. They actually got as bored as I did by it. I was really wanting to like it too. I thought the script was tired and unimaginative and the movie lacked a cohesive direction/mood. I've really liked most Tim Burton films. Depp's performance seemed lazy, and shallow, and he's one of my favorite actors as well.
To me it's a sad offering and a missed opportunity. I wouldn't be excited about any of it being translated to the parks.

Thrill Seeker

I really liked the film. Delightfully twisted work from Tim Burton as always... It's alright for kids, but you may have to cover their eyes for a couple parts.

Erika

I was just coming on here to ask the same thing. My daughter is dying to see it- we just returned from DL and saw a lot of merchandise in the parks. She loves Nightmare Before Christmas so I was hoping if she's OK with that, this won't be any worse. She just turned 4. It is so hard to say what will scare them at this age. I've been caught by surprise in both directions.

Erika

There is a general air of forbodding through the whole movie and some definitely odd bits.

The climax sequence could be a bit intense (Comparable to the Third or Forth Harry Potter Films if you've seen them), and there are some odd and strange bits (it's wonderland of course) Notably a river of floating heads (off with their head) from the queen and one or two action sequences, but other then that it should be reletively age appropriate.

That does make me nervous. I know there is no way my daughter could watch those.

I am thinking we will probably go, but also be prepared to leave at a moment's notice. Might prove to be a pricey gamble :lol: We will see!

princessmelinda

It was REALLY good! I personally thought A Christmas Carol was scarier (which is strange considering this one was Tim Burton), but there were a few scary parts. Definitely recommend it tho! :)

WDWmazprty

I never knew that the word "Bloody" was considered profanity. How bizarre that anyone could consider this word as vulgar or crude or improper.

I believe 'Bloody' is considered a vulgar or crude word in Great Britain. Not here in the stats of course. Seeing that the story comes from there originally, they probably had to put the warning in there. :hammer:

Tiggerfanatic

Just got home from seeing the flick - I really enjoyed it. Didn't see the 3D version - our little hometown theater only has one screen. But I thought the special effects were quite spectacular even without the 3D.

As far as kids, there were quite a few in the audience and I didn't see anyone crying. There were a couple smaller kids (4 or 5ish) and they did get bored after about the 1st half hour.

WDWmazprty

Just got back from seeing it in 3D and it was awesome!Johnny was spectacular as usual,the special effects were wonderful, and the look of everything was visually stunning. As far as it being ok for kids, my two girls loved it! They're 7 and 2. I guess it depends on how sensitive your kids are. Alson if you as parent 'freak out' over the movie then that may not help how your kids react.I think a lot of people are intimidated by the previews on tv, but the movie really is good and I think stays more true to the original story.Just don't think this is going to be like Disney's animated version.

jt04

Just got back from seeing it in 3D and it was awesome!Johnny was spectacular as usual,the special effects were wonderful, and the look of everything was visually stunning. As far as it being ok for kids, my two girls loved it! They're 7 and 2. I guess it depends on how sensitive your kids are. Alson if you as parent 'freak out' over the movie then that may not help how your kids react.I think a lot of people are intimidated by the previews on tv, but the movie really is good and I think stays more true to the original story.Just don't think this is going to be like Disney's animated version.

You are not alone in loving this movie. Quoted from the LA Times......

"Audiences gave the movie an average grade of A-minus, according to market research firm CinemaScore"

They conclude word of mouth will propel this film just in time for spring break. Once again the paid critics (read msm) have proven to be woefully out of touch with the folks. :wave:

The_CEO

I had high hopes for the film, being an avid fan of the whole cast; I was excited from the first announcement. Having seen the film, it was good at face value. The movie didn't leave any time for character development. We were only presented the characters at face value and none really held much water. There was too much emphasis on Mad Hatter and not enough on Alice's feeling while traveling through Wonderland. It felt rushed through parts where there should of been more dialogue.

As for children seeing the film.. It is PG and our theater had plenty of children who didn't scream once or seem frightened, I'm sure yours will be just fine.

Enjoy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom