Is Avatar the Potter killer?

Is Avatar the Potter swatter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TDF

I don’t think Avatar will kill Potter. I also don’t think Star Wars Land could kill Potter. I think if anything both will balance it out. Potter is a huge draw for Universal, so much that they are making two parks into basically one with the connecting train. People go to Universal just for Potter. People will wait 180+ minutes to ride potter on a daily basis. Avatar and Star Wars will pull those numbers at first but never will people go to Disney just for Avatar and Star Wars. I do however think Avatar will be amazing. If done right Animal Kingdom can finally be a full day park… something Disney desperately needs.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yeah. I don't hear anyone humming the theme to Potter, but you can bet your tushy people know and love the Star Wars music.
I dunno, after 8 movies over a decade, each one starting with this theme...

I'm pretty sure most people would recognize it, and I'm quite sure there are plenty of people (me being one) who find that song haunting and got excited to hear it at each showing...

Of course, it's John Williams, and pretty much no one in the Movie Soundtrack world comes close to him...(Zimmer and Elfman both get honorable mention <grin>)

John Stamos

Do you know where Bob Saget is?
Indeed, my friend. That is why I decided to make an account. To celebrate my love for Disney, and to give you all updates on my dear friend Bob. As we speak, he is in my basement playing Guitar Hero. Although his mind isn't all there, I am taking good care of him. Why, there are currently chocolate chip cookies with his name on them in the oven. I just hope nobody licks them.

Matt_Black

Indeed, my friend. That is why I decided to make an account. To celebrate my love for Disney, and to give you all updates on my dear friend Bob. As we speak, he is in my basement playing Guitar Hero. Although his mind isn't all there, I am taking good care of him. Why, there are currently chocolate chip cookies with his name on them in the oven. I just hope nobody licks them.

Have mercy!

FettFan

Harry Potter is just a mish-mash of Gaiman's Book of Magic and the X-Men.

And Avatar is a mish-mash of Dances With Wolves, Ferngully, the Blue Man Group, and alien sex FanFic.

Harry Potter became a hero because he was born into circumstances beyond his control, and had to deal with it by learning to use his powers, abilities, an wits to overcome the bad guys.

Jake Avatar became a hero because he wants to walk again and get laid.

Imagine of the Na'vi looked like THIS:
pig-faces.jpg

Maybe then Jake would have focused on doing his job and finding a peaceful solution between the two cultures.

But no. He wants to be a kitty-fiddler.

luv

But there is also the chance Potter won't have the life cycle as other IP's such as Star Wars. Universal could lose interest in Potter as well. Never say never. What is the chance IoA is drawing 10 million a year when Avatar opens? Highly unlikely.

Avatar, when open, could be its nail in the coffin. There is more to Avatar than the new rides, it make AK an evening park, that's absolutely huge. 13, possibly 14 million a year after one full year? Quite possible.

Jimmy Thick- Yes, possible.
Did you not have kids in the last 20 years? Didn't you know any? Movies age. Books don't. Kids (and more than a few adults) LOVE those books.

Avatar is not going to make those kids want to skip Harry Potter.

PhotoDave219

In the face of todays stunning ground breaking for Avatar at AK, I personally applaud Disney taking their time and getting their ducks in a row for what could be the most amazing themed area ever.

Now this also brings up the inevitable.

Is Avatar the Potter swatter everyone thinks Disney needs?

First, I don't think personally Avatar will be done on the cheap, I think its going to be amazing far beyond what we as Disney fans expect.

Second, Joe Rhode. Nuff said.

Third, there is a growing number of people who think if Carsland opened at WDW it would have blown Potter back to England in a soiled diaper. What if Disney goes to that extreme with Avatar? I think they will, Carsland I feel will open purse strings because it was such a huge hit.

Is Avatar the next big thing?

Jimmy Thick- Once completed, AK becomes number two in attendance. Thanks to Avatar.

It will boost Attendance, yes.... but its ranking around a 0.0 on the WOW factor.

AndyLL

They spent $237M and grossed $760M, I've still only watched it two times-at home. Yes, I can see how the technology will be cool to use in a theme park and I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I experience it, but I would much rather see a larger project used in a better way.

You act like the box office it did was trivial. That 760M was domestic... the highest grossing film of all time.

It did an additional 2 BILLION overseas. That's 1/2 Billion bigger then the next biggest movie ( also Cameron ) and over 1 Billion more then the next non Cameron film.

It has 3 movies opening starting in 2016... hopefully around when Avatar Land opens.

Avatar 2 will likely be the 1st Domestic 1 Billion film and is expected to be even bigger overseas then the 1st one.

If Avatar Land is any good... and Cameron has the same reputation as Rowlings and Lucas in insisting on top quality... it will draw people world wide.

I didn't like Avatar any more then you did. However I realize that worldwide it is only challenged by Titanic as the most popular movie ever.

John Stamos

Cut. It. Out.

You greasy-haired, yogurt-shilling-scumbag, how ya been?

Man, it's been years. What are you trying to Confirm here? The only thing you could confirm is a case of the clap. Am I right, or am I right?

Hey, you got that $300 dollars you still owe me?
What exactly are you trying to pull here, Joey?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom