Is Avatar the Potter killer?

Is Avatar the Potter swatter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
In the face of todays stunning ground breaking for Avatar at AK, I personally applaud Disney taking their time and getting their ducks in a row for what could be the most amazing themed area ever.

Now this also brings up the inevitable.

Is Avatar the Potter swatter everyone thinks Disney needs?

First, I don't think personally Avatar will be done on the cheap, I think its going to be amazing far beyond what we as Disney fans expect.

Second, Joe Rhode. Nuff said.

Third, there is a growing number of people who think if Carsland opened at WDW it would have blown Potter back to England in a soiled diaper. What if Disney goes to that extreme with Avatar? I think they will, Carsland I feel will open purse strings because it was such a huge hit.

Is Avatar the next big thing?

Jimmy Thick- Once completed, AK becomes number two in attendance. Thanks to Avatar.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The last thing Disney wants is a Potter Swatter. They are going to see a nice bump in attendance this summer from the new Potter stuff. Should help room occupancy too. It draws people to town and doesn't cost Disney a thing.

Avland has a ton of potential. I am sure it will at least be visually stunning. I think the more exciting part of this project is that it's a reboot of the park turning it into a "full day" park. They are adding other nighttime elements that may not have been feasible without another land and another E-ticket available at night.

FettFan

In the immortal words of Will Smith: AW HELL NAW.

Let's face it: Harry Potter has proven that it has the same staying power as other successful franchises such as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Star Trek, and Lord of the Rings.

Everything about Avatar screams "passing fad". Nothing about the movie was particularly memorable or made an impact on pop culture. It was a 3D live-action/animated cartoon that looked pretty but offered nothing of substance.
It was...a cinematic cupcake.

Not even close. Nothing Disney does will kill HP.

There is one thing that could....if Disney were to substantially grease the Tolkien Family's palms and build an entire park based on Middle-Earth.

The best part is that if the "One Ring" Magic Bands act up, everyone could simply walk in. ;)

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Star Wars

'nuff said.
There is one thing that could....if Disney were to substantially grease the Tolkien Family's palms and build an entire park based on Middle-Earth.

The best part is that if the "One Ring" Magic Bands act up, everyone could simply walk in. ;)
This would depend entirely on whether or not Disney has learned that content, not brand, is the true king.

The Empress Lilly

This would depend entirely on whether or not Disney has learned that content, not brand, is the true king.
To harken back to your first post about their not even being a Spidey-swatter yet: Disney hasn't learned the lesson that content, not brand, is the true king. On the contrary.

Spidey was the most amazing ride on the planet. Nobody visited.
Potter was the next most amazing ride. IoA exploded.

Cartoon comic book Spiderman, before the Marvel movie mania didn't do anything for attendance. Potter, supported by books and movies and merchandise, drove attendance through the roof. Disney, as well as UNI, learns that IP, not content, is decisive.

The Empress Lilly

Second, Joe Rhode. Nuff said.
Firstly, it spelled Joe Rodeh.

Secondly: Dinoland USA. Kali River Rubbish.

Thirdly: Rodhe took Indy, an awesome IP, with an awesome Ride, already tried and testes, and managed to turn gold into dust by turning Indy into Dinosaur. No, Roehd, 'large animatronics lunging at you in the dark' does not for great rides make. Not even if you try it twice- in the same park.

Last edited:

jdmdisney99

Let's face it: Harry Potter has proven that it has the same staying power as other successful franchises such as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Star Trek, and Lord of the Rings.
Funny thing is Disney owns two of those, the other two are up for grabs, and they still don't utilize them at the parks.

lazyboy97o

To harken back to your first post about their not even being a Spidey-swatter yet: Disney hasn't learned the lesson that content, not brand, is the true king. On the contrary.

Spidey was the most amazing ride on the planet. Nobody visited.
Potter was the next most amazing ride. IoA exploded.

Cartoon comic book Spiderman, before the Marvel movie mania didn't do anything for attendance. Potter, supported by books and movies and merchandise, drove attendance through the roof. Disney, as well as UNI, learns that IP, not content, is decisive.
I think the failures of Universal studios Escape to generate interest were greater than the properties that were chosen. Nor am I too concerned with absolute numbers. By that token the cultural devaluing of Walt Disney World you often discuss is stronger and better than a more sophisticated Walt Disney World.

The Empress Lilly

I think the failures of Universal studios Escape to generate interest were greater than the properties that were chosen. Nor am I too concerned with absolute numbers. By that token the cultural devaluing of Walt Disney World you often discuss is stronger and better than a more sophisticated Walt Disney World.
Quality and quantity. From behind the spreadsheet of a private banker looking at upper management bonus stock options WDW is looking better than ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom