Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Lilofan

As an aside, I was surprised to see an email with updated park hours for AK during my trip (Jan 18-25) from another site. Park opening has been moved back to 8a instead of 9 with closing remaining at 6p. I know the initially-posted hours are boilerplate, but wasn't expecting a change for AK at this point, as the other parks' hours had already been updated. While I'm anticipating low(-ish) crowds during our trip, the expanding of the least popular park's hours is interesting to me.

I also have been monitoring hotel availability with the VISA discount and am seeing more inventory pop up recently that wasn't there just a few weeks ago (and for a month or so prior to that). Doesn't necessarily indicate anything about park attendance, but I found it interesting.
Expanding of park hours could be on increased last minute reservations. Our firm’s performance bonus payout is at the end of the year and with some being rewarded handsomely , it’s splurging on future vacations including going to FL.

JustLikeMe

Once you ticked the No I think it funneled you to a loss recovery portion which meant you were gone and the answer was more important than the diminution of perception of value so they felt it was OK at that point, I wonder what you would have seen if you tick Yes?

I tried to post a reply 24 hours ago with screenshots of what the survey showed when I ticked yes, but it’s still awaiting moderator approval. Hopefully it will eventually show up.

Yeah, "isn't worth the cost" reads to me like "I can afford it but don't think it is worth it" while "too high for my budget" feels like "I think the cost is appropriate for what is provided but I just can't afford it"

Exactly - I don’t think any WDW survey I’ve taken in the past has allowed me to comment on the value proposition at current prices.

Why? The whole point of such surveys is get accurate information, including, and especially, negative feedback. They’re not just empty PR exercises.

I agree in principle, but most of the WDW surveys I’ve completed in the past have felt somewhat like empty PR exercises. I’ve never been able to select an option that essentially says ‘I can still afford to visit but no longer feel the value is there’. Have you?

Tha Realest

I've always said that rainy days are the best days to go to Disney. Everyone else just leaves after a bit and then the parks clear out! Great job!
Some of my fondest memories occurred during big rains at WDW. We took a bunch of trips in the early 90’s (back when 5-day park hoppers weren’t time limited - my parents joked we got five separate trips out of those passes). I am not sure why, but one of the vivid memories of my childhood was standing under the Disney-MGM Studios arch while the downpour erupted, only to then dash a few minutes later on to our next attraction.

More recently, during Covid we took a trip to MK. Entered the queue for BTMRR when it was a bit overcast. By the time our train exited the tunnel, it was absolutely pouring. What a beautiful surprise. My boys and I were laughing the entire time.

Most recently, we took a trip in August. We had some make good LL that we used for a SDD reservation. It was pouring, but everything else was starting to close and the indoor lines were crazy. We rode it anyway. Could hardly see much, but such a fun memory.

Tha Realest

Oh man, is he trolling or telegraphing a fact finding visit to the Kingdom and what he is identifying as the impediments to making Disney magical again? Maybe the spec is true that he has been approached about a position that is coming open......
If he were truly negotiating a return I can’t imagine he’d post something like this? Unless this is intended to publicly telegraph where the new Parks division is going to go with things.

Animaniac93-98

A couple recent posts from Matt Ouimet on LinkedIn. Links are included after the screenshots if you're inclined to read the comments.

View attachment 759142
View attachment 759143

"I am sure this is recognized by many of those leading the company."

Matt, you give your former coworkers FAR to much credit.

Vinnie Mac

I recently received my first WDW survey in quite some time over here in the UK. Found the questions - and some of the available answers - interesting.

Email:

View attachment 759011

Survey:

View attachment 759013
View attachment 759014

I was quite surprised to see ‘Walt Disney World isn’t worth the cost’ on a survey sent by Disney. Could they be starting to get the message?
Do any park experts here know how often surveys affect things? Most recent outcome I can think of is when surveys were being put out about Harmonious compared to Illuminations and Epcot Forever and we all know what happened with that...!

Splash4eva

Do any park experts here know how often surveys affect things? Most recent outcome I can think of is when surveys were being put out about Harmonious compared to Illuminations and Epcot Forever and we all know what happened with that...!
Do you really think surveys did that or lack of moving any needles to keep people in parks did that?

Lilofan

If he were truly negotiating a return I can’t imagine he’d post something like this? Unless this is intended to publicly telegraph where the new Parks division is going to go with things.
Matt Ouimet who thought the grass was greener on the other side? He was DLR President then left to be President of Starwood Hotels then after one year was laid off at Starwood during the recession of 2009, bounced around a few companies then earned his millions running Cedar Point.

Turns out he is pretty good at running parks
He is/was. And for those who remark "Matt Ouimet who thought the grass was greener on the other side?"... turns out it was. Ouimet recognized Iger's ego could never let go of the power that comes with Disney (indeed, it took a Pandemic that Iger saw coming would shut down his company.. and then he jetted off to Montana. Turns out the smartest man in the room didn't realize people at Sun Valley don't take your calls seriously when you've bailed on the company. Which is kind of hilarious, by the way. So, with his wounded ego... Iger had to return).

Ouimet correctly realized that he was not going to be the CEO of Disney back in the day . So he left, moved around and eventually helped Cedar Point. As an aside... He still wouldnt be the CEO of Disney.... as Iger would've knifed him too like he did Chapek.

Laketravis

Just got back from the 4th-11th and received one of those surveys a couple of days later. Full disclosure, we did upgrade our 7 day hoppers to AP's because we plan on no less than three more trips back before the end of next year.

Some things I've noticed:
  • Lots of UK visitors at USF, hardly any at WDW
  • No BTG's in a while
  • No Pop Warner or cheer groups but more business and large group convention/conference attendees
  • Older demographics at WDW - more guests in their 60's to 80's without kids
  • Invariably when striking up a conversation with strangers it turns to cost
  • The level of additional pay-for "opportunities" has gotten out of hand
  • I refuse to pay for Genie+ or LL and observed some of the systemic issues with their use
  • The week I was there seemed to have a higher head count than the same week years past
  • ADR's were plentiful once the throw-aways were discarded by hoarders
  • Crowd congestion for MK fireworks was just as bad if not worse than pre-Covid - pic was taken Wednesday, 12/6/23
  • It baffles me how many are booking Deluxe resorts at ridiculously high rates although there did seem to be a higher number of older couples-only at traditional family (lower cost) resorts
I think many are making a final Hail Mary trip and am curious to see what happens over the next six months.

WDW_Fireworks.jpg

Dranth

Ouimet correctly realized that he was not going to be the CEO of Disney back in the day . So he left, moved around and eventually helped Cedar Point. As an aside... He still wouldnt be the CEO of Disney.... as Iger would've knifed him too like he did Chapek.
Knifing each other in the back is a long-standing tradition at Disney that started well before Iger. Hopefully whoever comes next breaks that cycle though I personally doubt they will.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
He is/was. And for those who remark "Matt Ouimet who thought the grass was greener on the other side?"... turns out it was. Ouimet recognized Iger's ego could never let go of the power that comes with Disney (indeed, it took a Pandemic that Iger saw coming would shut down his company.. and then he jetted off to Montana. Turns out the smartest man in the room didn't realize people at Sun Valley don't take your calls seriously when you've bailed on the company. Which is kind of hilarious, by the way. So, with his wounded ego... Iger had to return).

Ouimet saw that he wasn't even going to be the head of Parks and Resorts and that's when he said, "I'm out". For whatever reason, he and Greg Emmer were a good team. Too bad we never got to see them rise up the ranks and get a shot at doing more than the incredible job they did at DL for the 50th.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
There was a follow-up post that Mr. Ouimet made around his other two recent posts:

Some people with ties to WDI and Disney responded to that, and Mr. Sotto was one of those who did (he has comments on the first one, for sure, haven't read through the comments on the second post yet). Insightful comments from him, as usual. And based on several of the comments I've read, Mr. Ouimet was very well liked and respected by his colleagues, and seemed to have a knack for troubleshooting, prioritizing, and knowing what the guests would want more than those who have held his positions since.

Last edited:

wannabeBelle

There was a follow-up post that Mr. Ouimet made around his other two recent posts:

Some people with ties to WDI and Disney responded to that, and Mr. Sotto was one of those who did (he has comments on the first one, for sure, haven't read through the comments on the second post yet). Insightful comments from him, as usual. And based on several of the comments I've read, Mr. Ouimet was very well liked and respected by his colleagues, and seemed to have a knack for troubleshooting, prioritizing, and knowing what the guests would want more than anyone who's held his positions since.
Comments from Mr. Sotto:
Eddie Sotto
President at SottoStudios Inc.
15h

Agree. In my experience, driving all that solving are the higher ideals of "why we do this" as the motivation that gave WDI the endurance to "do the impossible", fight for the product, change course, etc. Compensation was a distant second as I was a believer in the vision of the company and was thrilled to be a small part of something bigger that appealed to the better nature in everyone. Today, I'm not sensing a sincere motivational vision aligning what's happening. I could be wrong, but in any "cast" of actors they ask "what's my motivation?" 😊

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Comments from Mr. Sotto:
Eddie Sotto
President at SottoStudios Inc.
15h

Agree. In my experience, driving all that solving are the higher ideals of "why we do this" as the motivation that gave WDI the endurance to "do the impossible", fight for the product, change course, etc. Compensation was a distant second as I was a believer in the vision of the company and was thrilled to be a small part of something bigger that appealed to the better nature in everyone. Today, I'm not sensing a sincere motivational vision aligning what's happening. I could be wrong, but in any "cast" of actors they ask "what's my motivation?" 😊
That comment, I thought, was exceptional.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom