Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Lilofan

He is/was. And for those who remark "Matt Ouimet who thought the grass was greener on the other side?"... turns out it was. Ouimet recognized Iger's ego could never let go of the power that comes with Disney (indeed, it took a Pandemic that Iger saw coming would shut down his company.. and then he jetted off to Montana. Turns out the smartest man in the room didn't realize people at Sun Valley don't take your calls seriously when you've bailed on the company. Which is kind of hilarious, by the way. So, with his wounded ego... Iger had to return).

Ouimet correctly realized that he was not going to be the CEO of Disney back in the day . So he left, moved around and eventually helped Cedar Point. As an aside... He still wouldnt be the CEO of Disney.... as Iger would've knifed him too like he did Chapek.
Correct he made his mark and millions in compensation running Cedar parks. Probably getting laid off from Starwood Hotels after leaving Disney , bouncing from job to job after that was a blessing for Ouimet before joining Cedar Point . Him being consisted CEO of Disney, Iger or no Iger, not a chance.

Lilofan

Knifing each other in the back is a long-standing tradition at Disney that started well before Iger. Hopefully whoever comes next breaks that cycle though I personally doubt they will.
Roy and Stanley Gold didn't even have to hide and knife. They convinced the shareholders to help them get rid of Eisner and Saving Disney, mission accomplished.

Lilofan

I noticed this too.

I think seniors are more reluctant to travel farther/overseas now, so they're visiting other USA destinations.

That or they're visiting relatives who have moved to FL since the start of the pandemic.
Weather currently is much more reasonable for seniors enjoying WDW as opposed to the desert like Sahara heat of the summer months .

granfiesta

Just got back from the 4th-11th and received one of those surveys a couple of days later. Full disclosure, we did upgrade our 7 day hoppers to AP's because we plan on no less than three more trips back before the end of next year.

Some things I've noticed:
  • Lots of UK visitors at USF, hardly any at WDW
  • No BTG's in a while
  • No Pop Warner or cheer groups but more business and large group convention/conference attendees
  • Older demographics at WDW - more guests in their 60's to 80's without kids
  • Invariably when striking up a conversation with strangers it turns to cost
  • The level of additional pay-for "opportunities" has gotten out of hand
  • I refuse to pay for Genie+ or LL and observed some of the systemic issues with their use
  • The week I was there seemed to have a higher head count than the same week years past
  • ADR's were plentiful once the throw-aways were discarded by hoarders
  • Crowd congestion for MK fireworks was just as bad if not worse than pre-Covid - pic was taken Wednesday, 12/6/23
  • It baffles me how many are booking Deluxe resorts at ridiculously high rates although there did seem to be a higher number of older couples-only at traditional family (lower cost) resorts
I think many are making a final Hail Mary trip and am curious to see what happens over the next six months.

View attachment 759325
I can attest and confirm how awful the fireworks are in Magic Kingdom now. Not from a technical standpoint (HEA is still very good), but from a logistical one. I made 2 trips in 2023 (April/November) and both of them were absolute madhouses in trying to see HEA. The crowds were absolutely terrible even an hour prior to showtime and the last 15 minutes prior to the show starting, the CMs decided that walkways were optional in the hub and just started cramming people together as much as they could so by the time the show started, there weren't any walkways left. Not only does it make for a poor experience, but I can't help but think how huge of a fire hazard it is also.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I can attest and confirm how awful the fireworks are in Magic Kingdom now. Not from a technical standpoint (HEA is still very good), but from a logistical one. I made 2 trips in 2023 (April/November) and both of them were absolute madhouses in trying to see HEA. The crowds were absolutely terrible even an hour prior to showtime and the last 15 minutes prior to the show starting, the CMs decided that walkways were optional in the hub and just started cramming people together as much as they could so by the time the show started, there weren't any walkways left. Not only does it make for a poor experience, but I can't help but think how huge of a fire hazard it is also.
The expanded hub solved one problem, but created many more.

Lilofan

MK was awful tonight.
Seems like an uptick in tourism which is good news to the bottom line of the Mouse and Central FL. The ones saying the sky is falling regarding a recession looks to be falling silent. Dow Jones and Nasdaq are at record highs, money working harder than the investor actually does. Celebrate and go to WDW!

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Seems like an uptick in tourism which is good news to the bottom line of the Mouse and Central FL. The ones saying the sky is falling regarding a recession looks to be falling silent. Dow Jones and Nasdaq are at record highs, money working harder than the investor actually does. Celebrate and go to WDW!
It’s just the holiday season. It’s going to be crowded. It’s not an uptick over last year.

Lilofan

It’s just the holiday season. It’s going to be crowded. It’s not an uptick over last year.
Iger will have the final say on that which I expect will be a very successful holiday season/ parks and resorts when during a future quarterly public earnings call with Wall Street.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Adults cramming themselves in like sardines to watch boomy “things” is one of the most bizarre things in Orlando…

It also is a focal point that masks a real problem: lack of capacity additions that really handle crowds.

It’s become a shiny object we chase on forums such as these

Jrb1979

Adults cramming themselves in like sardines to watch boomy “things” is one of the most bizarre things in Orlando…

It also is a focal point that masks a real problem: lack of capacity additions that really handle crowds.

It’s become a shiny object we chase on forums such as these
Since you might have an idea of why. I saw a few posts saying they seeing more of an older crowd in the parks and less families with young children. They can't be a good thing for Disney

JD80

Since you might have an idea of why. I saw a few posts saying they seeing more of an older crowd in the parks and less families with young children. They can't be a good thing for Disney
First, he wouldn't know.

Second that observation is wrong. If I want to trade antedotal stories, there is no lack for families here at wdw. It appears to be the same as always. Kids are everywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom