Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

mousekedoc

Premium Member
I have DVC and buy annual passes, so the current costs aren’t in my wheelhouse. My buddy, an orthopedic surgeon with an anesthesiologist for a wife told me this. He likes Grand Floridian because that is where his father took him as a kid. So he wants to take his two boys there for a week. With four airline tix (not first class), 7 nights in Grand Floridian , 2 rooms, and 6 park hopper passes per person, add the genie and genie plus daily purchases per person, he was somewhere near to $20,000. And he is like, “who the h*** is gonna blow $20,000 on a week in an amusement park“? Is he right? Is it really that expensive? The question isn’t who can afford it, but who would spend it. If they do, who would do it more than once?

TheMaxRebo

I have DVC and buy annual passes, so the current costs aren’t in my wheelhouse. My buddy, an orthopedic surgeon wit’s an anesthesiologist for a wife told me this. He likes Grand Floridian because that is where his father took him as a kid. So he wants to take his two boys there for a week. With four airline tix (not first class), 7 nights in Grand Floridian , 2 rooms, and 6 park hopper passes per person, add the genie and genie plus daily purchases per person, he was somewhere near to $20,000. And he is like, “who the h*** is gonna blow $20,000 on a week in an amusement park“? Is he right? Is it really that expensive? The question isn’t who can afford it, but who would spend it. If they do, who would do it more than once?

Well, 2 rooms for 7 nights at the GF, at rack rate will be over $10k just for that.

But many family of 4s will do one room at a lower end resort

We are a family of 5 and staying at Port Orleans Riverside for 6 nights and have 4 days of park passes, no hopper and that is running us $3,800

Now, have G+, and food and stuff on top of that plus the flights, .... So tough to do a week for less than like $6-7k, but $20k is more than most will pay

mousekedoc

Premium Member
I’m not knocking DWD. I have season tix to the Titans. Nearly $350 per seat per game, not including the PSLs. Dollar for dollar, a day at WDW is a bargain (Relative to pro sporting event, music concert). But when you add everything together, how often can the average bear go to WDW at these prices?
So, this downturn in attendance is a result of higher pricing to thin the crowds ( I like less people in front of me in lines). But will it be a slow death spiral? Is this the beginning of that spiral? Is this the beginning of Disney looking to reprice? The domestic parks were profitable up to this year. Did everyone really go to Europe and Hawaii instead of Florida this year? What’s happening? Who can answer the question, “Is it all gonna be ok.?” I néed a Krakatoa from Sam’s, I’m so flustered.

mousekedoc

Premium Member
Well, 2 rooms for 7 nights at the GF, at rack rate will be over $10k just for that.

But many family of 4s will do one room at a lower end resort

We are a family of 5 and staying at Port Orleans Riverside for 6 nights and have 4 days of park passes, no hopper and that is running us $3,800

Now, have G+, and food and stuff on top of that plus the flights, .... So tough to do a week for less than like $6-7k, but $20k is more than most will pay
That is where we stayed when we bought our timeshare at SSR. it was 17 years ago ant that trip cost us about $2500. So not that bad of an increase. Thanks for that insight. The dream is still doable.

TheMaxRebo

That is where we stayed when we bought our timeshare at SSR. it was 17 years ago ant that trip cost us about $2500. So not that bad of an increase. Thanks for that insight. The dream is still doable.

It is, you just have to pick and choose where to spend your budget.

If you want to do G+ and ILLs, then probably have to cut out a Table Service or 2, or maybe go from Deluxe to Moderate or cut hoppers or whatever

I think in the past was easier for more people to fit in more for their budget as more was included (even things like Magical Express, now that is an extra cost) - now have to pick and choose a bit more

JoeCamel

It "feels like" 118 here in Chicago, real temp 99.

Take that Florida! 😂
I grew up in northwest burbs and have a vivid memory of being shuffled to a motel with AC one August night long ago. We stayed the night and a day or two later there were men with trucks installing AC in our home. It was hot and humid way back when too but I don't think this hot

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
It "feels like" 118 here in Chicago, real temp 99.

Take that Florida! 😂
You got us beat in Nashville.

IMG_20230823_143056.jpg

Our feels like did get to 115.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m not knocking DWD. I have season tix to the Titans. Nearly $350 per seat per game, not including the PSLs. Dollar for dollar, a day at WDW is a bargain (Relative to pro sporting event, music concert). But when you add everything together, how often can the average bear go to WDW at these prices?
So, this downturn in attendance is a result of higher pricing to thin the crowds ( I like less people in front of me in lines). But will it be a slow death spiral? Is this the beginning of that spiral? Is this the beginning of Disney looking to reprice? The domestic parks were profitable up to this year. Did everyone really go to Europe and Hawaii instead of Florida this year? What’s happening? Who can answer the question, “Is it all gonna be ok.?” I néed a Krakatoa from Sam’s, I’m so flustered.
I agree with most of what you’re saying

But the sporting event/concert comparison doesn’t really hold - However

They’re 3 hour “one off” events…not something most have to fly/drive to for a minimum multiple days and incur costs all day long…without a choice.

The best comps are Europe (if you’re east coast), all inclusives or mostly cruise ships

The Orlando parks are NOT a good value in many if not most comparisons

mousekedoc

Premium Member
I agree with most of what you’re saying

But the sporting event/concert comparison doesn’t really hold - However

They’re 3 hour “one off” events…not something most have to fly/drive to for a minimum multiple days and incur costs all day long…without a choice.

The best comps are Europe (if you’re east coast), all inclusives or mostly cruise ships

The Orlando parks are NOT a good value in many if not most comparisons
You are right there.
I work with a lot a Disney folks. None of us went to WDW this summer. Some did adventures by Disney, several did cruises, I went to DLP. It was my first non professional trip not WDW iN 17 years. It wasn’t that expensive, relatively speaking.
BUT, having done that, been there, I want my WDW. I m going back in December Baby! But I fear I may be in the minority.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You are right there.
I work with a lot a Disney folks. None of us went to WDW this summer. Some did adventures by Disney, several did cruises, I went to DLP. It was my first non professional trip not WDW iN 17 years. It wasn’t that expensive, relatively speaking.
BUT, having done that, been there, I want my WDW. I m going back in December Baby! But I fear I may be in the minority.
No I get you

The primary allure for me in Orlando - other than a long beneficial timeshare for 20 years - is it’s mentally “easy” for me due to experience.

But even that is more tedious with the phone refresh crap

…now imagine people without my background knowledge at much higher prices?

…it’s not very appealing

Trauma

I have DVC and buy annual passes, so the current costs aren’t in my wheelhouse. My buddy, an orthopedic surgeon with an anesthesiologist for a wife told me this. He likes Grand Floridian because that is where his father took him as a kid. So he wants to take his two boys there for a week. With four airline tix (not first class), 7 nights in Grand Floridian , 2 rooms, and 6 park hopper passes per person, add the genie and genie plus daily purchases per person, he was somewhere near to $20,000. And he is like, “who the h*** is gonna blow $20,000 on a week in an amusement park“? Is he right? Is it really that expensive? The question isn’t who can afford it, but who would spend it. If they do, who would do it more than once?
I’m taking a lake view Grand Villa at the Grand for my next trip because I’m bringing family.

The value of the points alone is over 20k.

Then park tickets food etc.

So to answer your question plenty of people blow 20k on a vacation, although I personally keep trips of that size to only once a year.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
"From Yahoo! Finance:

The share of Americans rolling their credit card debt from month-to-month is for the first time higher than the portion who pay their bill in full, according to a new survey.

J.D. Power found that 51% of Americans can’t pay off their entire balance each month and instead let it revolve to the next month, accruing interest, according to its annual credit card satisfaction survey. The remaining 49% — called transactors — can pay their bill in full each month…"

Everything is fine. I'm sure the rich will prop up Bob's Folly. Oh wait...

"from Bloomberg:

In a nationwide survey of over 1,000 objectively wealthy Americans — defined in this case as making at least $175,000 a year, roughly the amount required to crack the top 10% of US tax filers — a full quarter told us they were either “very poor,” “poor,” or “getting by but things are tight.” Half described themselves as just “comfortable” …

At a time when pretty much everything is more expensive, including cars, tuition, travel and groceries, over half of respondents in our survey said they worry about money.

Some 25% don’t think they’ll be better off financially than their parents. And many have considered moving to a different part of the country, joining the pandemic exodus away from high-cost cities to areas of the US with lower taxes and a cheaper cost of living."

This Is Fine GIF

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
"From Yahoo! Finance:

The share of Americans rolling their credit card debt from month-to-month is for the first time higher than the portion who pay their bill in full, according to a new survey.

J.D. Power found that 51% of Americans can’t pay off their entire balance each month and instead let it revolve to the next month, accruing interest, according to its annual credit card satisfaction survey. The remaining 49% — called transactors — can pay their bill in full each month…"

Everything is fine. I'm sure the rich will prop up Bob's Folly. Oh wait...

"from Bloomberg:

In a nationwide survey of over 1,000 objectively wealthy Americans — defined in this case as making at least $175,000 a year, roughly the amount required to crack the top 10% of US tax filers — a full quarter told us they were either “very poor,” “poor,” or “getting by but things are tight.” Half described themselves as just “comfortable” …

At a time when pretty much everything is more expensive, including cars, tuition, travel and groceries, over half of respondents in our survey said they worry about money.

Some 25% don’t think they’ll be better off financially than their parents. And many have considered moving to a different part of the country, joining the pandemic exodus away from high-cost cities to areas of the US with lower taxes and a cheaper cost of living."

This Is Fine GIF
…now can any of you kids out there in the class translate why this matters in terms of TWDC?

…please use small words 👍🏻

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom