Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

tpoly88

Correct - but when you're an entertainment company and two of your major revenue streams are on lockdown (parks and movies) there is no reason your stock price should be HIGHER (by a large percent if you look at the historical data) than it is in 2024. I'd expect stocks in Phizer, etc. to be down, but Disney shouldn't be trading for less than it was during the pandemic. Airline stocks certainly aren't (for example - Delta's COVID low was $17.81 and it's currently trading at $37.49).
There are a number of reasons the stock is where it is. First off the stock soared during the pandemic and after, as it was the only place you could go to have any fun and everyone was streaming from home. Money poured into the stock in anticipation but Disney+ was not as profitable as they thought and ESPN continues to be drag on Disney. Dont forget we here in FL opened may 8th and the rest of the country and the world was in lock down for the next 2 years, people came in droves to FL, as a lot of people had PPP money and other pandemic money to spend and it was the only place to go, now that the world is open, people are tired of the same old and given that it costs the same to go to disney for a family of 4 as it does to Europe, people are opting for the latter right now for something different, if they have money for trips. have a lot of friends that are on their backsides right now with bills coming in, Job issues and credit cards maxed so they are not traveling this summer. Disney ebbs and flows, but the past week, park was empty when i was there and dinner reservations open everywhere. will change this fall.

Jrb1979

There are a number of reasons the stock is where it is. First off the stock soared during the pandemic and after, as it was the only place you could go to have any fun and everyone was streaming from home. Money poured into the stock in anticipation but Disney+ was not as profitable as they thought and ESPN continues to be drag on Disney. Dont forget we here in FL opened may 8th and the rest of the country and the world was in lock down for the next 2 years, people came in droves to FL, as a lot of people had PPP money and other pandemic money to spend and it was the only place to go, now that the world is open, people are tired of the same old and given that it costs the same to go to disney for a family of 4 as it does to Europe, people are opting for the latter right now for something different, if they have money for trips. have a lot of friends that are on their backsides right now with bills coming in, Job issues and credit cards maxed so they are not traveling this summer. Disney ebbs and flows, but the past week, park was empty when i was there and dinner reservations open everywhere. will change this fall.
What's going to change in the fall that all of a sudden those people will have money to go to Disney?

From what some of said room availability is wide open for the fall and winter.

MAGICFLOP

oh no! The investors are worried? Certainly they asked questions about Disney's pricing strategy, their customer satisfaction ratings and the success of integrating more IP into the park... right? Hopefully the investors get to the bottom of this!
Investors don't have the ability to get to the bottom of anything, they either buy or sell their shares based on their own interpretation of what they see, read and project about a companies future. The board would have to get to the bottom of things.

LSLS

We have stock amnesia here…

The consistent trend has been DOWNWARD for 3 years…consistently

In the wash, they have gained no value in the greatest investment expansion in world history…by far…over 10+ years

Those are hard numbers…you can make decisions off them…

…the stockholders have gotten a rather measly dividend.
Sorry, worded that wrong. I was really talking about if it would close as a new low today. And the answer was apparently yes, yes it will. Under $86 now.

thomas998

Investors don't have the ability to get to the bottom of anything, they either buy or sell their shares based on their own interpretation of what they see, read and project about a companies future. The board would have to get to the bottom of things.
And that will never happen with the board they have, filled with too many country club buddies rubber stamping anything Iger wants.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What's going to change in the fall that all of a sudden those people will have money to go to Disney?

From what some of said room availability is wide open for the fall and winter.
What’s gonna change in the fall?

Not a thing…

But dusters will convince themselves Halloween parties cure all ills.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir_Cliff

You do realize that many around here have been saying that for years. And the difference between Disney and their main competitor in Orlando is their competitor is building new while Disney languishes with "refreshes", for the most part, instead of new capacity. They have two net-new rides - Tron and Rat - in the past decade, while they have increased prices well beyond realistic measures of inflation (if you believe inflation was only 9% in 2023, I have some real estate in south Florida I'd like to sell you).
If in terms of 'building new' you mean Epic Universe, that could really go either way.

At this point in time, Universal's parks seem to have been hit more than Disney's in terms of revenue. If the overall theme park market doesn't improve by next year, they may find themselves struggling even more than usually happens with a new park opening to limit the amount it cannibalises attendance from their existing parks. A lot of people on here are taking it as an item of faith that the park is going to be a boon for Universal that attracts millions of people all on its own and at the expense of Disney. However, a lot of people on here have been taking it as an article of faith that families were abandoning Disney and flocking to Universal and that doesn't seem to have been the case.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If in terms of 'building new' you mean Epic Universe, that could really go either way.

At this point in time, Universal's parks seem to have been hit more than Disney's in terms of revenue. If the overall theme park market doesn't improve by next year, they may find themselves struggling even more than usually happens with a new park opening to limit the amount it cannibalises attendance from their existing parks. A lot of people on here are taking it as an item of faith that the park is going to be a boon for Universal that attracts millions of people all on its own and at the expense of Disney. However, a lot of people on here have been taking it as an article of faith that families were abandoning Disney and flocking to Universal and that doesn't seem to have been the case.
All parks cannibalize each other to an extent…

And while epic will take a bite out of studios in particular…the parks that should be worried are the 3 vulnerable ones down the street

peter11435

All parks cannibalize each other to an extent…

And while epic will take a bite out of studios in particular…the parks that should be worried are the 3 vulnerable ones down the street
I know you have an axe to grind against Disney but if you’re attempting to be honest there are 6 vulnerable theme parks in Orlando when Epic open.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know you have an axe to grind against Disney but if you’re attempting to be honest there are 6 vulnerable theme parks in Orlando when Epic open.
I don’t disagree with that…my point is that it’s not an “internal” problem for UOR…tightening budgets and the first new thing in 25 years will take a bite out of all the parks…magic kingdom being the most insulated.

What makes you think I have an axe to grind against Disney? Couldn’t be less true

peter11435

I don’t disagree with that…my point is that it’s not an “internal” problem for UOR…tightening budgets and the first new thing in 25 years will take a bite out of all the parks…magic kingdom being the most insulated.
It’s absolutely a huge problem for UOR and one they are very concerned about

What makes you think I have an axe to grind against Disney? Couldn’t be less true
🤣

I don’t think I can stop laughing long enough to reply to this

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Especially Animal Kingdom-if a whole land and/or multiple attractions are closed.
I would say Epcot is the most vulnerable…it’s neither an amusement park nor a WDI park now…a mishmosh of indecision. Attendance backs that up.
You’re losing Dinosaur, which is painful, but the average guest was going mostly for Pandora anyway. It will likely remain a half day park for most, as it has always been. It’s the same pain Hollywood Studios went through recently but actually even less disruptive.
Both are still half dayers…and are starting to get a little stale again

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom