Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Minnesota disney fan

They're both expensive, but we've switched over to Universal exclusively (as opposed to splitting Orlando vacations between WDW and Universal) solely because of how disproportionately complicated, costly, uncertain, and generally miserable Disney has made the touring/queuing experience.

At Universal, we have the choice between waiting in fairly reasonable, or at least predictable, standby lines (so long as we don't visit during major holiday or vacation periods), or else enjoying fast Express Pass lines at every single attraction save one (included for the whole family when we stay at a premium hotel at passholder rates, with seasonal annual passes that cost only slightly more than a 4-day ticket). Either way we do it, with minimal planning and a reasonable amount of park knowledge, at Universal we can enjoy a relaxing day with some room for spontaneity, and no need to engage in any up-charges or pound my phone all day instead of having fun. (*Hopefully, this won't change overmuch when Epic Universe opens, and I won't have to rescind this assessment!)

At WDW, we face the Sophie's Choice of accepting unreasonably long and unpredictable standby lines, or paying tons more to gamble on the possibility of having a few shorter waits at a handful of attractions, none of which are guaranteed to be available in the first place, and only if we arrive during set time windows that may or may not be convenient for us, or spend hours on the app, trying to continually modify and upgrade our reservations so that they don't disrupt our day more than they're improving it.

I realize that Universal's roster of attractions isn't as appealing to some, and that it doesn't have the nostalgia factor that WDW does, but for us, we enjoy the Universal touring experience enough that we're willing to pay the price for it (which, after the purchase of seasonal annual passes and discounted premium hotel stays, comes out to 20% less than the rough Disney equivalent of 5-day parkhoppers and discounted DVC stays with rented points). WDW doesn't even enter into our vacation discussions anymore -- which is sad, because the vast majority of our family vacations there -- up until the last couple -- were among our happiest memories! Obviously, our experience and opinions are subjective, and I'll be the first one to admit that our priorities have always skewed toward how many good rides we can enjoy with the shortest wait, rather than on shows, dining, or other bigger-picture factors, but we feel like Universal is still offering a product that's worth investing in.
We feel the same way and have switched for the past few years to Universal. It is a refreshing change to show up when you want to and just enjoy the day. No rushing to pre arranged rides that you pay for. Everything is under the cost of entrance to Universal. It is not cheap, not at all. The tickets are expensive and the premium resorts are expensive too. However, the options of their cheaper resorts are wonderful and on par with the moderates at WDW, IMO. I love the shows at Universal, the many shops which have different merchandise in each unique area. We feel that we get more than what we pay for at Universal. We don't feel the same at WDW anymore. We stay at premium resorts for the express pass and have not regretted it. Again, the cost equals what you get for it. Just like you, we were WDW fanatics with at least yearly visits with kids/grandkids and just the 2 of us. That has all changed since WDW has changed, and we have not regretted switching to Universal. We find plenty to do and are staying over 5 days in November. I hope that's enough but so far we have not seen nor done everything at Universal. I really hope disney sees the light and goes back to actually making their guests (er, customers) feel wanted and to Not nickle and diming everything. They need to go back to quality but all of this has been said over and over again. I don't hate disney. I have a lot of nostalgia for disney, but have moved on to what I feel is better ROI on investment and on entertainment value.

Lilofan

I always laughed when we exited the Norway or Frozen ride and walked through the gift shop where they're selling the cold weather gear, and it's almost never less than 90 degrees with equivalent humidity. Yet that stuff still seemed to sell even in those conditions.
Only place I know of that sold Helly Hansen. I stocked up when there.

Tha Realest

Attendance doesn't really matter. It's not something the investors are worried about.
1723062810308.png

el_super

Hmmmm……Disney stock down close to 5% in regular and after hours trading today after lackluster attendance both current and going forward. Apparently investors are worried and for good reason.

oh no! The investors are worried? Certainly they asked questions about Disney's pricing strategy, their customer satisfaction ratings and the success of integrating more IP into the park... right? Hopefully the investors get to the bottom of this!

oh no! The investors are worried? Certainly they asked questions about Disney's pricing strategy, their customer satisfaction ratings and the success of integrating more IP into the park... right? Hopefully the investors get to the bottom of this!
Are you related to the Captain of the Titanic?

todd23

Overall I prefer the mobile order era. The one gripe I have is inability to add something to that order, but it’s really not a big deal in compromise to how much easier the rest has become. Usually it had to do with adding a drink, like one of us realized we wanted hot choc when picking up from Sleepy Hollow. Would be cool if there was a way to add an ‘easy’ item to an order.
I don't think that is a problem with mobile order. I don't think you'd be able to add on an easy item if you ordered in person and were picking up your order (unless there was no line at the register kiosk).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom